Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,420 members, 7,853,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:14 AM

TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project (2304 Views)

Nigeria, US Sign MOU On 10,000MW Power Africa Initiative • Anambra Gets 1,500MW / FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port / GEJ TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: What Is It Actually? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 01, 2014
August 1, 2014 by NAN

Dangote Industries Limited on Friday announced a $1bn (N165bn) investment for commercial rice farming and modern integrated rice mills to be run by the firm in Nigeria.

The President and Chairman, Dangote Group, Mr. Aliko Dangote, announced his firm’s investment plan at the headquarters of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in Abuja.

Dangote, who led a delegation from his firm to the ministry, later proceeded to the Presidential Villa for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with the Federal Government.

He told ministry officials and journalists that the move to invest in rice production was aimed at developing Nigeria’s economy through agriculture.

He said the investment would further boosts the Federal Government’s drive to attain food sufficiency in Nigeria, adding that in the next fours years Nigeria will become an exporter of rice.

Dangote said once his rice industry starts producing the staple food, the price of the locally produced rice “will be definitely cheaper than the imported ones and this will create room for a lot of investments in the sector.”

He said, “With rice as a major staple, we have placed total sufficiency in rice production as a major priority for our country and key value chain for our economy.

“Today’s signing ceremony marks a revolutionary tipping point by the Dangote Group to make Nigeria a net exporter of rice within the next few years as well as boosting inclusive wealth creation and employment generation.”

The Group’s boss stated that his firm had acquired farmlands in Edo, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kwara and Niger states totalling 150,000 hectares to be used for the commercial production of rice paddy.

He noted that his industry will establish two state of the art large scale rice mills each with a capacity to mill 120,000 metric tons of rice paddy, bringing total capacity to 240.000MT, with plans to double the figure in two years.

“With this installed capacity, the project will become the largest integrated rice mill in Africa,” Dangote said.

In his remarks, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, stated that the Dangote farms and mills were expected to significantly boost small-holder rice production in the regions through a nucleus and out-grower farming model.

This, he said, would directly transform livelihoods in rural Nigeria as the sites selected were rice-growing communities that will be supported by Dangote’s provision of agro-inputs, training and marketing linkages to improve community-farming.

He said employment opportunities for at least 8,000 Nigerians will be created by the massive investment.
Akinwumi said, “This investment by Dangote Industries is transformational for Nigeria and the rest of Africa. Nigeria has no business importing rice. Our goal is to become self-sufficient in rice and become a global powerhouse in food and agriculture markets.

“Through this billion dollar commitment, Aliko Dangote, Africa’s leading businessman, has clearly attested to the policies and approach that the Federal Government has undertaken to transform the nation’s agricultural sector.”

The minister assured the delegation that the Federal Government would stop the smuggling of foreign rice into Nigeria from neighbouring countries.

According to him, his ministry would ensure that no individual sabotages the drive to make Nigeria an exporter of rice.

“We will end smuggling because we cannot mortgage our future and I want to assure you that government is looking at this issue critically,” Adesina said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-dangote-sign-mou-on-1bn-rice-project/

4 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 01, 2014
One step at a time, we shall get there, Boko Haram or no Boko Haram.

6 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by EdCure: 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2014
Transformation agenda only for the benefit of the loyal rich.

What we need is improvement of the security conditions that will make farmers in the troubled states go back to their fields and food will not be an issue.

5 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Danhumprey: 4:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
Wetin concern me? It has been all plans/signing of agreements and what not,and no action. Smh.

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
EdCure: Transformation agenda only for the benefit of the loyal rich.

What we need is improvement of the security conditions that will make farmers in the troubled states go back to their fields and food will not be an issue.
Meanwhile, the southern part of the country also churn out hundreds thousands of graduates yearly. GEJ is also the president of those graduates and he owes them jobs.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by EdCure: 5:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
Meanwhile, the southern part of the country also churn out hundreds thousands of graduates yearly. GEJ is also the president of those graduates and he owes them jobs.
Yeah, but the jobs are still the exclusive preserve of the loyal elites.

The poor graduates are scammed, extorted and sent to their early deaths with phantom recruitment excercises.

You can see that the promises of Transformation and Fresh Air are the greatest of all lies ever peddled in 9ja.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
EdCure:
Yeah, but the jobs are still the exclusive preserve of the loyal elites.

The poor graduates are scammed, extorted and sent to their early deaths with phantom recruitment excercises.

You can see that the promises of Transformation and Fresh Air are the greatest of all lies ever peddled in 9ja.
The people who currently work in many of Dangote's factories are not ghosts. They'r human beings and Nigerians, like you and I, with flesh and blood and families. Same will also apply to the rice project when completed. Dangote is neither a portfolio nor a brief case investor. The antecedents of Dangote shows that he means business.

Meanwhile, only few weeks ago, GEJ commissioned the biggest rice mill in West Africa, Olams (hope I got the name right) rice mill in Nasarawa. That is the meaning of TRANSFORMATION.

10 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by omenka(m): 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Really??

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by EdCure: 5:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
Sincere9gerian, Dangote is a hard working businessman, and i highly commend him for his success in creating jobs for the teeming unempleyed graduates. But pls, stop associating his success to GEJ's phoney Transformation Agenda. Its a disservice to the gentleman because it's all theatrics.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Descartes: 5:52pm On Aug 01, 2014
Good
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
EdCure: Sincere9gerian, Dangote is a hard working businessman, and i highly commend him for his success in creating jobs for the teeming unempleyed graduates. But pls, stop associating his success to GEJ's phoney Transformation Agenda. Its a disservice to the gentleman because it's all theatrics.
Dangote investment follows the direction of govt POLICIES. If not for the rice self-sufficiency policy of the FG, Dangote and others wont be investing in rice cultivation and milling. Fact!

Sometimes a single policy of govt can achieve much more than N1 trillion. Fact! For instance, the RIGHT policy in the electricity sector can give Nigeria stable power supply in less than years whereas the wrong policy plus N1 trillion FG investment will ensure we remain in darkness forever.

5 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by flowjoe: 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel smiley
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by BENZINA(m): 6:16pm On Aug 01, 2014
Those who are not ready to move Nigeria forward shall be left behind,for me i align with GEJ 100%.

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by atlwireles: 6:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
Tomorrow some will cry about Dangote been favoured. No, not by a long shot, he is only ready to put his money where his mouth is.

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 01, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
Ifeanyichukwu,why must it be only Dangote monopolizing everything in Nigeria? When will other investors be giving the chance? Don't tell me no other person was interested in the same rice business.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
berem: Ifeanyichukwu,why must it be only Dangote monopolizing everything in Nigeria? When will other investors be giving the chance? Don't tell me no other person was interested in the same rice business.
What is stopping you from investing in rice production?

8 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by VICTORCIZA(m): 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
NICE MOVE.
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Soneh(m): 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
If we are not careful we will wake up one day just to hear that dangote has bought the whole of naijariya
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by VICTORCIZA(m): 6:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
NICE MOVE.
Gej creating platform for Nigeria development
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
What is stopping you from investing in rice production?
Ify,we are not fighting o! I just asked a simple question. No need replying me with an question. wink cheesy
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by EdCure: 6:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
Sincere9gerian, government policies determine the level of investments, no dounts, but such policies predate GEJ's agenda.

Point i'm dwelling on is: You don't leave thousands of small (and large) scale farmers vulnerable to constant attacks, making them flee their main source of livelihood and contribution to the economy, only to sign an MoU with one super rich elite and shout TRANSFORMATION!

As a propagandist, havUEverTried to find out how this libellous Transformation Agenda affects the ppl?

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by oldenglish: 6:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
berem: Ifeanyichukwu,why must it be only Dangote monopolizing everything in Nigeria? When will other investors be giving the chance? Don't tell me no other person was interested in the same rice business.
The monopoly is bad but you did not lament when dangote and fashola corned some community land in Épe last year for a refinery.

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by IGBOSON1: 6:42pm On Aug 01, 2014
Looks like someone forgot to tell him Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi have rice producing belts!

Let me not say what's on my mind....suffice it to say that i know what Nigeria is all about!
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
oldenglish: The monopoly is bad but you did not lament when dangote and fashola corned some community land in Épe last year for a refinery.
I did lament about it. Leaving everything to Dangote is not helping others who want to invest in the same sector too. Others should be given chance to invest too.

1 Like

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by BENZINA(m): 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
The why people like berem will never get it,if not red-light joint.

1 Like

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Omexonomy: 6:49pm On Aug 01, 2014
EdCure: Sincere9gerian, government policies determine the level of investments, no dounts, but such policies predate GEJ's agenda.

Point i'm dwelling on is: You don't leave thousands of small (and large) scale farmers vulnerable to constant attacks, making them flee their main source of livelihood and contribution to the economy, only to sign an MoU with one super rich elite and shout TRANSFORMATION!

As a propagandist, havUEverTried to find out how this libellous Transformation Agenda affects the ppl?
edo state is having a very large rice paddy which have not been fully utilise though a lot of people are doing small scale farming their. Their is nothing wrong if dangote is taken advantage of such so long as the poor farmer chose to continue his farming without disturbance .

2 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by BENZINA(m): 6:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
berem: I did lament about it. Leaving everything to Dangote is not helping others who want to invest in the same sector too. Others should be given chance to invest too.
Then organize a co-operative to eat from the Nigerian pie by making your contribution in, roads,water,agric etc and stop talking about monopoly.

1 Like

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by EdCure: 7:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
Omexonomy: edo state is having a very large rice paddy which have not been fully utilise[...]. Their is nothing wrong if dangote is taken advantage of such so long as the poor farmer chose to continue his farming without disturbance .

I understand that Nigeria's most fertile agricultural lands are in the troubled states. What are the architects and choirs of Transformation Agenda doing about this?

I don't sound to oppose Dangote, do i?

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by brownlord: 7:06pm On Aug 01, 2014
Foolish government, very soon he wiil buy Nigeria,they should just tell us dangote sign MOU ahead of 2015 election.

How many sector will this man monopolise? Our stupid FG helping him to rip Nigerians since 1800. Cement is more expensive in Nigeria than any other west Africa country. Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Omexonomy: 7:06pm On Aug 01, 2014
EdCure:

I understand that Nigeria's most fertile agricultural lands are in the troubled states. What are the architects and choirs of Transformation Agenda doing about this?

I don't sound to oppose Dangote, do i?
most fertile lands are not thesame as rice paddy. So they may be fertile but not suitable for rice planting.
Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Omexonomy: 7:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
brownlord: Foolish government, very soon he wiil buy Nigeria,they should just tell us dangote sign MOU ahead of 2015 election.

How many sector will this man monopolise? Our stupid FG helping him to rip Nigerians since 1800. Cement is more expensive in Nigeria than any other west Africa country. Nonsense
bursted. Cement is cheaper in nigeria than many countries in africa.

2 Likes

Re: TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: FG, Dangote Sign MoU On $1bn Rice Project by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
EdCure: Sincere9gerian, government policies determine the level of investments, no dounts, but such policies predate GEJ's agenda.

Not true. GEJ govt formulated and initiated the rice self sufficiency policy in 2012 or so. Based on that policy, higher tarrif was imposed on imported rice in 2013. Also, new improved rice seedlings is being distributed in rice producing belt of the country. There is also the dry season farming and support of the private sector to set up high quality rice mills. Etc, etc. Based on the policy and if things go as planned, FG hopes to ban importation of rice in 2015, though I think a more realistic date may be 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Governor Is Going To Jail Next? / Buhari's Letter To Delegates (pics) / Obasanjo Wants To Run My Govt – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.