Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal (1110 Views)

Tyson Fury Stripped Of IBF Title Less Than Two Weeks After Winning It / Floyd Mayweather Jr. Stripped Of WBO Welterweight Title / Nigerian Onaolapo Pulls Pant Off After Commonwealth Win! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by davestead(m): 11:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
Teenage Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has been stripped of her Commonwealth Games gold medal a week after failing a drugs test in Glasgow.

It was confirmed on Friday morning that the B sample analysis, requested by 16-year-old Amalaha, had returned another positive result and that made it inevitable she would lose her title.

At an afternoon hearing of the Commonwealth Games Federation court, it was confirmed Amalaha would be disqualified, a CGF spokeswoman confirmed to Press Association Sport.
The spokeswoman, promising a full statement from the CGF later, said: 'It is correct that she has been stripped of the gold medal.'

Amalaha went through doping control after her victory in the 52kg class at the Clyde Auditorium on July 25, and the results showed traces of diuretics and maskings agents.

CGF chief executive Mike Hooper said earlier on Friday: 'I can report that the analysis on the Nigerian weightlifting Chika Amalaha's B sample has been completed, and this has confirmed the analysis and finding of the A result.'

The CGF disciplinary hearing was chaired by the federation's president, Malaysian Prince Imran.

Their decision brings a sorry saga to its natural conclusion, with Amalaha having provided an early feel-good story before the full context of her achievement was revealed.

She had set Games records in her weight category in both the snatch and overall elements, and said afterwards: 'I'm absolutely delighted. I wasn't coming here to go for gold, I just wanted to break my own record. I'm so happy that I'm going home with gold in my first Commonwealth Games.'

Amalaha spoke of the 'pain and dedication that got me here', yet Tuesday saw the announcement of her failed drugs test.

World Anti-Doping Agency president Sir Craig Reedie expressed his shock on Tuesday that someone so young should have failed a doping test, saying: 'I am very disappointed that somebody as young as that appears to have committed an offence at a multi-sport event like the Commonwealth Games.'
SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2713431/Nigerian-weightlifter-Chika-Amalaha-stripped-Commonwealth-Games-gold-medal-failing-drugs-test-Glasgow.html
This is quite a pity. I was even so happy for her. Another bad news for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by romzyxy(m): 11:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
cant read feeling sleeping.gud9T
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by osystein(m): 11:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
hmmm, not cool..
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by SolidMoney: 11:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
How could she have thought that she would not be caught especially in this age and time. Was she not thinking of winning when she was taking the banned substance? Did she think that when she wins no drug check would be carried out on her? When a 16 year old achieves such success, all eyes would definitely be on her. angry.Her coach should also be investigated.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by pdppower: 11:56pm On Aug 01, 2014
It might not totally be her fault. You know Nigerians like self medication and all these drugs that we feel we can use anyhow to cure malaria, cough and other ailments might actually not accepted for athletes. Some of the compositions might be what the Federation see as banned substances.
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by Litmus: 1:13am On Aug 02, 2014
Nigeria is innocent of Ebola but we're charged with being an Ebola ridden Nation. We don't make the truth the West does. That poor child. Wouldn't be surprised if the lab tech that did her sample was Indian.
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by Nobody: 1:43am On Aug 02, 2014
it had to be ndigbo.. smh ...
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by rastamouse: 3:35am On Aug 02, 2014
Litmus: Nigeria is innocent of Ebola but we're charged with being an Ebola ridden Nation. We don't make the truth the West does. That poor child. Wouldn't be surprised if the lab tech that did her sample was Indian.

Hahahaha
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by rastamouse: 3:37am On Aug 02, 2014
pdppower: It might not totally be her fault. You know Nigerians like self medication and all these drugs that we feel we can use anyhow to cure malaria, cough and other ailments might actually not accepted for athletes. Some of the compositions might be what the Federation see as banned substances.

You are totally right. However because she used a mask to avoid detection, many have been forced to suspect foul play. I honestly believe at 16, she is too young for this kind of controversy
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by Nobody: 5:10am On Aug 02, 2014
Even with all the garri she eats she can not win fair, even with her football age she can not win fair nawao
Re: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Stripped Of Commonwealth Medal by teebarbie(f): 4:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Sad

(1) (Reply)

CAF Forced Female Footballer To Strip Uncladto Prove She’s Female / Nigerian Places Football Bet Worth $50, Wins $8,733 In Return (photos) / Saraki's Son, Seni, Is New Chairman Of ABS FC |

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.