Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage (1203 Views)

I'm Seriously Considering Cheating On My Husband / Thread For Those Who Are Not Considering Marriage Yet. / British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by Blov: 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2014
A friend of mine that got married about 8 months ago, came to my room and after some time, he made a positive comment about marriage counseling and courtship, and when i look at him, i saw him with my courtship exercise book, he was admiring the things i have written there as we discuss with my wife to be. and he wish that he had opportunity of doing the same thing....
With this background info, i decided to share this piece i found insightful for intended husband and wife. The important of planing in everything we do in life, cant never be over emphasis.
enjoy as you read through and plan a head!

Topics for Conversation When a Man and Woman Are Considering Marriage[/size]

In each of these sections one item could be added that I have not listed, namely, How do you handle and live with differences? How do you decide what can remain differences without jeopardizing the relationship? So as you deal with each subheading, include that in the discussion.

Theology

• What do you believe about… everything?

• Perhaps read through the Desiring God Affirmation of Faith to see where each other is on various biblical doctrines.

• Discover how you form your views. What is the reasoning-believing process? How do you handle the Bible?

Worship and Devotion

• How important is corporate worship? Other participation in church life?

• How important is it to be part of a small accountability/support group?

• What is the importance of music in life and worship?

• What are your daily personal devotional practices? Prayer, reading, meditation, memorization.

• What would our family devotions look like? Who leads out in this?

• Are we doing this now in an appropriate way: praying together about our lives and future, reading the Bible together?

Husband and Wife

• What is the meaning of headship and submission in the Bible and in our marriage?

• What are expectations about situations where one of you might be alone with someone of the opposite sex?

• How are tasks shared in the home: cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, yard work, car upkeep, repairs, shopping for food, and household stuff?

• What are the expectations for togetherness?

• What is an ideal non-special evening?

• How do you understand who and how often sex is initiated?

• Who does the checkbook —or are there two?

Children

• If and when, should we have children? Why?

• How many?

• How far apart?

• Would we consider adoption?

• What are the standards of behavior?

• What are the appropriate ways to discipline them? How many strikes before they’re… whatever?

• What about school? Home school? Christian school? Public school?

Lifestyle

• Own a home or not? Why?

• What kind of neighborhood? Why?

• How many cars? New? Used?

• View of money in general. How much to the church?

• How do you make money decisions?

• Where will you buy clothes: Department store? Savers? In between? Why?

Entertainment

• How much money should we spend on entertainment?

• How often should we eat out? Where?

• What kind of vacations are appropriate and helpful for us?

• How many toys? Snowmobile, boat, cabin?

• Should we have a television? Where? What is fitting to watch? How much?

• What are the criteria for Movies and theater and video/DVD? What will our guidelines be for the kids?

Conflict

• What makes you angry?

• How do you handle your frustration or anger?

• Who should bring up an issue that is bothersome?

• What if we disagree both about what should be done, AND whether it is serious?

• Will we go to bed angry at each other?

• What is our view of getting help from friends or counselors?

Work

• Who is the main breadwinner?

• Should the wife work outside the home? Before kids? With kids at home? After kids?

• What are your views of daycare for children?

• What determines where you will locate? Job? Whose job? Church? Family?

Friends
• Is it good to do things with friends but without fiancé, or without spouse?

• What will you do if one of you really likes to hang out with so and so and the other doesn’t?

[size=8pt]Health and Sickness

• Do you have, or have you had any, sicknesses or physical problems that could affect our relationship? (Allergies, cancer, eating disorders, venereal disease, etc.)

• Do you believe in divine healing and how would prayer relate to medical attention?

• How do you think about exercise and healthy eating?

• Do you have any habits that adversely affect health?

These questions were compiled by John Piper © Desiring God. Website: http://DesiringGod.org

2 Likes

Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by bobojoshua(m): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2014
Blov: A friend of mine that got married about 8 months ago, came to my room and after some time, he made a positive comment about marriage counseling and courtship, and when i look at him, i saw him with my courtship exercise book, he was admiring the things i have written there as we discuss with my wife to be. and he wish that he had opportunity of doing the same thing....
With this background info, i decided to share this piece i found insightful for intended husband and wife. The important of planing in everything we do in life, cant never be over emphasis.
enjoy as you read through and plan a head!

Topics for Conversation When a Man and Woman Are Considering Marriage[/size]

In each of these sections one item could be added that I have not listed, namely, How do you handle and live with differences? How do you decide what can remain differences without jeopardizing the relationship? So as you deal with each subheading, include that in the discussion.

Theology

• What do you believe about… everything?

• Perhaps read through the Desiring God Affirmation of Faith to see where each other is on various biblical doctrines.

• Discover how you form your views. What is the reasoning-believing process? How do you handle the Bible?

Worship and Devotion

• How important is corporate worship? Other participation in church life?

• How important is it to be part of a small accountability/support group?

• What is the importance of music in life and worship?

• What are your daily personal devotional practices? Prayer, reading, meditation, memorization.

• What would our family devotions look like? Who leads out in this?

• Are we doing this now in an appropriate way: praying together about our lives and future, reading the Bible together?

Husband and Wife

• What is the meaning of headship and submission in the Bible and in our marriage?

• What are expectations about situations where one of you might be alone with someone of the opposite sex?

• How are tasks shared in the home: cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, yard work, car upkeep, repairs, shopping for food, and household stuff?

• What are the expectations for togetherness?

• What is an ideal non-special evening?

• How do you understand who and how often sex is initiated?

• Who does the checkbook —or are there two?

Children

• If and when, should we have children? Why?

• How many?

• How far apart?

• Would we consider adoption?

• What are the standards of behavior?

• What are the appropriate ways to discipline them? How many strikes before they’re… whatever?

• What about school? Home school? Christian school? Public school?

Lifestyle

• Own a home or not? Why?

• What kind of neighborhood? Why?

• How many cars? New? Used?

• View of money in general. How much to the church?

• How do you make money decisions?

• Where will you buy clothes: Department store? Savers? In between? Why?

Entertainment

• How much money should we spend on entertainment?

• How often should we eat out? Where?

• What kind of vacations are appropriate and helpful for us?

• How many toys? Snowmobile, boat, cabin?

• Should we have a television? Where? What is fitting to watch? How much?

• What are the criteria for Movies and theater and video/DVD? What will our guidelines be for the kids?

Conflict

• What makes you angry?

• How do you handle your frustration or anger?

• Who should bring up an issue that is bothersome?

• What if we disagree both about what should be done, AND whether it is serious?

• Will we go to bed angry at each other?

• What is our view of getting help from friends or counselors?

Work

• Who is the main breadwinner?

• Should the wife work outside the home? Before kids? With kids at home? After kids?

• What are your views of daycare for children?

• What determines where you will locate? Job? Whose job? Church? Family?

Friends
• Is it good to do things with friends but without fiancé, or without spouse?

• What will you do if one of you really likes to hang out with so and so and the other doesn’t?

[size=8pt]Health and Sickness

• Do you have, or have you had any, sicknesses or physical problems that could affect our relationship? (Allergies, cancer, eating disorders, venereal disease, etc.)

• Do you believe in divine healing and how would prayer relate to medical attention?

• How do you think about exercise and healthy eating?

• Do you have any habits that adversely affect health?

These questions were compiled by John Piper © Desiring God. Website: http://DesiringGod.org
Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by SAMBARRY: 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2014
This is what you should rather be praying about

Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by egopersonified(f): 10:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
Disclaimer: please bear in mind that answers to these questions can change after marriage and there are a million and one other questions not stated here.
Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by shizzle11(m): 10:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
egopersonified: Disclaimer: please bear in mind that answers to these questions can change after marriage and there are a million and one other questions not stated here.
Notwithstanding, it is pertinent intending couples get a copious idea about the lifestyle, personality, traits, orientation etc of the person they intend to marry, it doesn't mean there won't be minor misunderstanding and or adjustments here and there
Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by shizzle11(m): 10:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
op nice insights you got there, I loved every bit of it cool
Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by Kanwulia: 1:03am On Aug 07, 2014
Wonderful!
All the tinz wey ya GOD or JESUS nor fit accomplish? cheesy

Oya. . . kuntinu!

One thing na to preach.
Another tin na to practice!
Muhehehehehehehehe cheesy
Re: Topics For Conversation When A Man And Woman Are Considering Marriage by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 07, 2014
Blov:
Educative points crucial for consideration towards succesful marriage. Just Marry Your Friend and all shall be well !!

Haa, My eyes sha I tot I'm seeing http://DiarisGod.org grin

(1) (Reply)

8 Women Christian Men Should Never Marry / The 3 Missing Kids Found!!!! / Position A Couple For A Family Portrait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.