Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,944 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

E46 323ci - Need More Power - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / E46 323ci - Need More Power (2234 Views)

Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. / Bmw 325Ci E46 - Repairs and Maintenance / Which Should I Buy, A Bmw E36, BMW E46 Or A Mercedes Benz C-220? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

E46 323ci - Need More Power by lungwun(m): 4:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hello and Good day everyone.

Inspired by Siena, I have done a bit of researching on the net and I have discovered my rather tame 323Ci could do with more power.
I had initially decided buying a faster/more powerful model but i'm in love with my Beemer. So I thought, why not an engine swap?
My car currently has the M52TUB25 in it and I thought to do a swap to the TUB28 but 20hp gain wasn't worth plonking N200 large on a new engine. I also thought of going for the M54B30 but the whole faffing about with throttle bodies and the fact that in the end, it is a car I could still go out and buy soured the thought for me.
In my research I also considered getting one of BMW's earlier 3.5 V8s and fitting it in there.
But alas, so far my research into the topic has brought up no results.

Upon further perusal of the net, I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16mfBvb5Reo

This is actually using the LT1 v8 from earlier Corvette's and Camaro's in it.
I obviously do not have the time nor money to personally import a V8 from the US of A and get it fitted (Including an M3 transmission and Exhaust) so that leaves me back at square 1.

Do I, continue to pootle along as I have?
Or do I create a new vehicle for myself? A real sleeper but one that can release the beasts from Hades whenever a Camry V6 wants to test me?

If the Vanos equipped BMW 3.5 V8 will work without too much hassle, I will just go for that and call it a day.

Anyone have any ideas (Siena and Somorin#1/CityNG, your thoughts will be greatly appreciated here).
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Fulaman198(m): 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
Just buy another bimmer, much less of a hassle in my opinion. You will become unattached to your former car in less than a week.

3 Likes

Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
An LS swap will be pricey, though tuning options for more power are plenty. There is a lot of support for the LS series V8 motors, but at a price. A crate LS1 motor, with ECU, harness and adapter plate will set you back around $6500. I have no idea how much shipping and Nigerian customs charges will be.

On the other hand, the BMW M52 V8, in 3.5, 4.0 or 4.4L guise is a more realistic option. From the E39, a 6-speed manual was always an option. With engine swaps, I ALWAYS opt to buy a complete running donor car. It works out cheaper than buying an engine, ECU, harness, gearbox, radiator etc, and all the obscure smaller parts to make it all work. A complete E39 535 / 540i (1999) can be yours for as little as £1500. Shipping an extra £575. Whatever is not used can be sold, to offset the cost. Redundant parts from your car can also be sold off.

1 Like

Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by lungwun(m): 9:17am On Aug 05, 2014
Thank you for that Siena,

Just had a gander on Autotrader and ive seen a couple of 535's which I would love to buy whole.

All are under the £1000 mark.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407085656163/sort/default/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/postcode/cm776ad/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/advert-type/Classified/radius/1500/usedcars/make/bmw?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407055564779/sort/default/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/postcode/cm776ad/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/advert-type/Classified/radius/1500/usedcars/make/bmw?logcode=p

Unfortunately, they are both Automatics, I would much prefer a manual but can the automatic be shoehorned into the 3 series coupe?

I would have gone for the 4.4 V8 but our mechanics aren't quite competent with that engine.

Am I right in guessing I will need the engine, Transmission and wiring harness/ECU from the donor car to complete the swap?
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
You will need the engine, harness, ECU, ignition key and lock from the donor car. You can use any transmission from an E39 - automatic or manual, with the correct bellhousing. If going the manual route, you'll need a flywheel and clutch.
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Fulaman198(m): 8:46pm On Aug 05, 2014
lungwun: Thank you for that Siena,

Just had a gander on Autotrader and ive seen a couple of 535's which I would love to buy whole.

All are under the £1000 mark.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407085656163/sort/default/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/postcode/cm776ad/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/advert-type/Classified/radius/1500/usedcars/make/bmw?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407055564779/sort/default/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/postcode/cm776ad/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/advert-type/Classified/radius/1500/usedcars/make/bmw?logcode=p

Unfortunately, they are both Automatics, I would much prefer a manual but can the automatic be shoehorned into the 3 series coupe?

I would have gone for the 4.4 V8 but our mechanics aren't quite competent with that engine.

Am I right in guessing I will need the engine, Transmission and wiring harness/ECU from the donor car to complete the swap?

Do you live in the UK? The reason I ask is because it is RHD and as you know cars in Nigeria and West Africa are all LHD.
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
Fulaman198: Do you live in the UK? The reason I ask is because it is RHD and as you know cars in Nigeria and West Africa are all LHD.

Being RHD does not prevent an engine swap. I have been carrying out engine transplants most of my adult life, from all manner of vehicles. The only part that will require modification in most models when transplanting an engine and harness from a RHD into a LHD is the wiring harness.

The BMW E39 is a good candidate. On both LHD and RHD models, the engine harness goes through the firewall on the Left Hand Side. The ECU for both LHD and RHD models is on the Left Hand Side. The RHD engine harness is actually longer than that of a LHD car, due to the path the harness takes behind the dash.

I know this, as I have carried out RHD to LHD conversions.

1 Like

Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Fulaman198(m): 9:18pm On Aug 05, 2014
Siena:

Being RHD does not prevent an engine swap. I have been carrying out engine transplants most of my adult life, from all manner of vehicles. The only part that will require modification in most models when transplanting an engine and harness from a RHD into a LHD is the wiring harness.

The BMW E39 is a good candidate. On both LHD and RHD models, the engine harness goes through the firewall on the Left Hand Side. The ECU for both LHD and RHD models is on the Left Hand Side. The RHD engine harness is actually longer than that of a LHD car, due to the path the harness takes behind the dash.

I know this, as I have carried out RHD to LHD conversions.

Ok, thank you kind sir
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by yungboss(m): 9:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
Interesting thread, I own a 323ci too,2000 MY. I'm currently carrying out a swap, an m54 3.0 swap. It's pretty straightforward. I was concerned about the electronic TB, I think my Mechanic is going to swap in the M54 TB. I'll see him this weekend, been too busy.
mine is a 5speed manual transmission. Can't wait to launch it.
have you considered an s54 swap? That'll be very expensive though. I'm seriously considering an s50 swap in my e36. The 3.2l motor from the '95 m3
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by lungwun(m): 10:54pm On Aug 05, 2014
Ultimately I may just go down youngboss route. 228hp is not a lot of gain off stock and my mechanic is also pretty certain he can work it.

Youngboss, fill me in on your progress please so I can give my car some well deserved get up n go.
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by yungboss(m): 11:14pm On Aug 05, 2014
lungwun: Ultimately I may just go down youngboss route. 228hp is not a lot of gain off stock and my mechanic is also pretty certain he can work it.

Youngboss, fill me in on your progress please so I can give my car some well deserved get up n go.
okay, promise. It's actually 231hp...it's pretty good for the car.
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 06, 2014
And in from the left field.

Why not just save up and buy an M3? This is what I would do I f I lived in Nigeria full-time (I actually won't buy a sedan but a solid axle SUV).

There are always teething problems with swaps so be prepared.
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by lungwun(m): 11:59am On Aug 06, 2014
The left field is always appreciated. I could save up and buy the M3 but a good example without any subframe cracks and not ragged to death with a decent starts at 20 large dollars on Carmax. Obviously I could get from cars.com from 9 large USD but only God knows what state they would be in.

Ultimately, an M3 is an M3 and its recognized everywhere. Those quad exhausts arent really that subtle. I was looking for a sleeper vehicle one that is happy pootling along at city speeds but could turn into a Hellcat when pushed.

I have also looked at Supercharger kits from Active Autowerks but the >$5k outlay and 93 octane gas also makes one wonder.

Body on frame trucks are what im looking at too as a work horse. Preferably One with GM's small block V8. The earlier (2001 - 2005) Chevy Tahoes and GMC Yukon Denalis could sate my need for an American V8 but boy are they Ugly!

The Dodge Durango is no Prom queen either. cheesy
The Ford explorer, been there, done that, 4 tranny rebuilds later, never again.

If Diesel engines were more appreciated in nigeria, I would have gone with a 330D or 335D and had it remapped with a Superchips bluefin chip (Dont trust these here mechanics)

1 Like

Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by yungboss(m): 1:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
CityNG: And in from the left field.

Why not just save up and buy an M3? This is what I would do I f I lived in Nigeria full-time (I actually won't buy a sedan but a solid axle SUV).

There are always teething problems with swaps so be prepared.
truly, an m3 would be the best decision.
Re: E46 323ci - Need More Power by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 07, 2014
It is possible to find a clean one owner M3 for a decent amount of money.

It won't be easy considering the Nigerian aspect but they are there.

Insurance is a worthy opponent in the US so most sell quickly after getting their jolies.

This is why I buy a mundane model like a Audi A4 (turbo) and then chip the shiat out of it and downpipes, boost control, etc

(1) (Reply)

Gear Box: My Mechanic Wants To Kill Me. A Desperate Call For HELP!!! / 2015 Atlanta Auto Show / Please Does Anyone Know Where To Locate Diagnostic Port In Nissan Almera 2014?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.