Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos (9253 Views)

Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / Explosion Heard In Nigerian City Of Maiduguri / 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 05, 2014
BuddahMonk: [s]Tell us abeg Statistician General of the Federation.

If you had visited Ibadam and Aba you dnt need a prophet to tell you that Aba maybe smaller than Ibadam but they Aba is light years ahead of Ibadan in wealth distribution, even development and standard of living.

Pls Ibadam isnt the one i passed on my to Ekiti or does any ibadam exist in the outerspace, that you can drive for more than 45mins without seeing a one storey building but gabbledroof old houses that date back to pre-colonial era.[/s]

That is your opinion...and it counts for nothing.

Stop quoting me if you can't bring anything remotely close to intelligence to the table.

I lived in Aba for 2 year...inside Binez and Terminus hotels...outside of Umungazi GRA and the Low cost housing Estate.....no any place for good human habitation...

3 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2014
danot1030: u seem not to understand, the implication of the analysis above is that there is higher cost of living at Aba than Lagos. Beside get the fact right not Aba as solo but Aba join with Port-Hacourt together. The over all implications is that Lagos might witness a higher rate of migration from these areas

It simply means there is more money to be spent by residents of Aba or PH than those of Lagos. You cannot spend what you do not have.

1 Like

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by phantom(m): 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2014
danot1030: u seem not to understand, the implication of the analysis above is that there is higher cost of living at Aba than Lagos. Beside get the fact right not Aba as solo but Aba join with Port-Hacourt together. The over all implications is that Lagos might witness a higher rate of migration from these areas
I understand where you are going to but you are wrong. the difference in per capita spending cannot be due to price difference of goods alone.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by atlwireles: 3:36pm On Aug 05, 2014

What are you saying here?

2 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Yeske2(m): 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
eaglechild: Port Harcourt, Warri, Benin City, Aba, Enugu and
Onitsha make up the six city southeast cluster. Its
proximity to oil wells has led the region to be a hub
of activity for oil companies and foreign investment .
According to the report, total GDP in this cluster
alone is[b] $63bn, which is a close rival to Lagos’s
GDP of $68bn
, [[/b]b]despite having far fewer households.[/b]
Both Port Harcourt and Aba have considerably
higher
consumption per capita than Lagos.

Taking a critical look at the above we can see that the SE/Niger Delta cluster has the highest per capita consumption and standard of living.

Note that the SE cluster has a population of about just 7-9million with a corresponding GDP of $63B vs Lagos with a population of 21million and a GDP of $68B.

That is why they said PH and Aba ( and from calculations the other cities) have a CONSIDERABLY higher per capita consumption than Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Donmarrius: 4:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
atlwireles:

What are you saying here?
That shows how stup1d that lad is.
He doesn't know what he is talking about.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by uch12(f): 4:17pm On Aug 05, 2014
Buddahmonk e di egwu ma n'eyikwa sum blokes egwu. U r 2 much, enwedi.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by aderonila18: 4:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
jesuslovesme123:

South Westerners prefer intelligent debate to empty, tribalistic rhetoric. Therefore, you should understand why you and I have nothing more to discuss.

Nice way to school him grin

4 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Abiagirl777(f): 4:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
chinolization: Abagworo..I don't care what you want but keep my state out of your mouth or this thread will become something else. Let your focus be on other states. Leave us alone..

Enyi rie nsi!u tink de world revolves around Anambra,my friend grow up and stop behaving lyk a yr child.SE,SS,Sw,we r working towards devolopment,and u r here inciting ppl aginst each oda,who gives a hoot abt Anambra.mtcheww

3 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by after1: 4:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
AkinEgba: Ibadan the most powerful brown roof mega city in the world grin grin

You guys have started with your posting of old pics, Since you want to ruin this thread. I will help you.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 5:04pm On Aug 05, 2014
after1:

You guys have started with your posting of old pics, Since you want to ruin this thread. I will help you.
Did you say Old? Have those brown roofs been changed?

2 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by oduastates: 5:05pm On Aug 05, 2014
AkinEgba:

What's going for Ibadan is its huge population. Thus, it is easy out of that huge population to find a sizable medium class. Still those decrepit brown roofs that strut its landscape is a clear sign of poverty. I was born in Ibadan and raised there substantially. I know every bit of it.
You may be from ibadan( I am not ) but you definitely have know clue of what makes Ibadan tick.
I will only give you one assignment.
Go to ojo junction,
Just that junction
Look at the economic activity happening there .
1 just imagine that the government was the one collecting all the money union bosses and police are pocketing .
calculate the value of goods going in / out of of ojo on just one trailer.

Go to the market (forgotten the name) where those welders,foundry craftsmen and technicians etc make grinding machine, shelling machine,peeling machine ,squeezing machine etc.
Walk around your area and check out the different activities.
These are just a tiny aspect of the sub economy .
It is then you will understand .
Ibadan had the most balanced economy in Nigeria.
Switch off the oil and Ibadan is still rocking.

5 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 5:12pm On Aug 05, 2014
oduastates:
You may be from ibadan( I am not ) but you definitely have know clue of what makes Ibadan tick.
Go to ojo junction,
Just that junction
1 just imagine that the government was the one collecting all the money union bosses and police are pocketing .

Go to the market (forgotten the name) where those welders,foundry craftsmen and technicians etc make grinding machine, shelling machine,peeling machine ,squeezing machine etc.

Ojoo on Lagos-Ibadan and Ibadan-Ilorin (IITA) roads intersection: all you see there are uncountable bukas, pepper and tomato sellers and iya alamala and ewedu, and a few Igbo and Yoruba boys selling nollywood movies and clothes. Of course you have lots of Yoruba motor park touts there as well.

When you talk of machine makers and small and medium scale entrepreneurs, where then will you place Aba?

4 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by after1: 5:18pm On Aug 05, 2014
AkinEgba:
Did you say Old? Have those brown roofs been changed?

I wont say much, just stop posting rubbish pictures on this lovely thread. I know who you are, keep pretending and forming Yoruba.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 5:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
after1:

I wont say much, just stop posting rubbish pictures on this lovely thread. I know who you are, keep pretending and forming Yoruba.

You are foooolish. Did I ever tell you I am Yoruba? That I was born in Ibadan now makes me Yoruba? So if you know who I am you will then do what?

2 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by after1: 5:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
oduastates:
Go to ojo junction,
Just that junction

Ibadan ke. Dont be deceived by his handle and signature.

1 Like

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by after1: 5:20pm On Aug 05, 2014
AkinEgba:

You are foooolish. Did I ever tell you I am Yoruba? That I was born in Ibadan now makes me Yoruba? So if you know who I am you will then do what?

Is that all? I will let the insult pass, just focus on the thread and stop posting irrelevant pictures. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 5:20pm On Aug 05, 2014
after1:

Ibadan ke. Dont be deceived by his handle and signature.

I know Ibadan more than anybody else who was not born and raised there. Got it?
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 5:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
after1:

Is that all? I will let the insult pass, just focus on the thread and stop posting irrelevant pictures. Simple.

Why don't you stop me from posting picture? I dare you. Foooolish man/woman
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by after1: 5:23pm On Aug 05, 2014
AkinEgba:

Why don't you stop me from posting picture? I dare you. Foooolish man/woman

Continue....
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
phantom: but when I said the same thing on this forum some time ago,they wanted to crucify me.
Lagos is the richest state but its population makes nonsense of that wealth.
the extremes ,very rich and very poor are very evident in Lagos.
in PH,wealth is actually more evenly distributed.
in Lagos,you are more likely to pick a random person on the street who doesn't have five naira to his name...grin

Same thing goes for Ibadan as well, with the huge population, third behind Kano and lagos, you're more likely to come across a poor man than a rich one. Dumb pple can't know this.

1 Like

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 05, 2014
There is nothing like old pictures of ibadam, ibadam is like a vulture forever old

Hav u seen a young vulture before?

post the pictures of new ibadam lets see grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

after1:

1 Like

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 05, 2014
Nigerians are so funny.

Ebola is on the cusp of ravaging the country and our ever smart and innovative oyibo masters have raced the clock to find a potential cure, while we babies compete over the biggest cities for consumer appetite over oyibo made products.

God please why did u make me black? Worst of all Nigeria, why

2 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by HopeAtHand: 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
AlJarzirah:
I don't believe that Port Harcourt, Benin or even Onitsha is more populous than Enugu. Enugu is one of the most thickly populated cities in Nigeria.

You dnt believe Port Harcourt is bigger than Enugu Town or Enugu State?

Guy, u must be kidding me.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 05, 2014
Enyi jiri nwayo here, its like your new in NL and doesnt know who Abagworo behave.

Abeg do not curse Anambra while trying to defend Abagworo because time will come when you will cause Yourself for siding Abagworo.

The abagworo guy is a fool and always like to instigate intra-igbo war here while posing as onye oguta.

He will be the first person to start bashing igbos with ndiofe.

Dnt take any side because the fool is yet to reveal himslef to you

Abiagirl777:

Enyi rie nsi!u tink de world revolves around Anambra,my friend grow up and stop behaving lyk a yr child.SE,SS,Sw,we r working towards devolopment,and u r here inciting ppl aginst each oda,who gives a hoot abt Anambra.mtcheww

1 Like

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Abiagirl777(f): 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2014
BuddahMonk: Enyi jiri nwayo here, its like your new in NL and doesnt know who Abagworo behave.

Abeg do not curse Anambra while trying to defend Abagworo because time will come when you will cause Yourself for siding Abagworo.

The abagworo guy is a fool and always like to instigate intra-igbo war here while posing as onye oguta.

He will be the first person to start bashing igbos with ndiofe.

Dnt take any side because the fool is yet to reveal himslef to you

Enyi ghota ihem na ekwu.chino doesn't see anytin gud in even oda SE states and dats horrible,i'm neutral on NL,i dont support anybody except de truth.maybe u wont undastand because u r frm Anambra too but as i said before,No state or region is greater dan de oda,our govts havnt done anytin extraordinary and u guys praise dem
i stand for DEv. In SE!dats all

3 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Boyedex: 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
From the analysis, Aba and Portharcourt have greater per capita consumptions than Lagos and Ibadan and thus higher average levels of living. However, for starters, when you multiply the per capita of the cities by their respective populations, there is then a bigger overall economy in Lagos and Ibadan than in Ph and Aba respectively. Simple arithmetic that should be devoid of tribal rants.

2 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 05, 2014
Abiagirl777:

Enyi ghota ihem na ekwu.chino doesn't see anytin gud in even oda SE states and dats horrible,i'm neutral on NL,i dont support anybody except de truth.maybe u wont undastand because u r frm Anambra too but as i said before,No state or region is greater dan de oda,our govts havnt done anytin extraordinary and u guys praise dem
i stand for DEv. In SE!dats all

I assure you that you are not go to find many supporters from the SEasterners here.
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by AkinEgba: 6:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
Boyedex: From the analysis, Aba and Portharcourt have greater per capita consumptions than Lagos and Ibadan and thus higher average levels of living. However, for starters, when you multiply the per capita of the cities by their respective populations, there is then a bigger overall economy in Lagos and Ibadan than in Ph and Aba respectively. Simple arithmetic that should be devoid of tribal rants.

Getting serious.........

It's more like Nigeria being the economic giant of Africa, but average Botswanans (for example) enjoy better and worthier living standards than average Nigerians. Large population is good only when majority of the people are productive and contributing to the economy. That is not the case in Nigeria, at least for now. With a relatively smaller population and a productive one at that (as with Aba and Onitsha) poverty is sure to be low.

For once, I wish Nigeria has no oil so that out of necessity our big population will be matched with the expected productivity level. Otherwise, we should work towards serious population control to match the current productivity level.

4 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Abiagirl777(f): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

I assure you that you are not go to find many supporters from the SEasterners here.

to hell wit dem and deir support!do they charge my PC.supply me wit mb etc.i'm one woman alone,full blooded igbo lady.all de SE govs hav done nada nsomeone is here ranting abt dev in deir states.
Inside our villages in Abia wher dere is no govt presence,de environment luks more civilised n developed dan our cities.
all tribal bigots are shame to their Ethnic grps.RUBBISH
Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
ilugunboy:

That is your opinion...and it counts for nothing.

Stop quoting me if you can't bring anything remotely close to intelligence to the table.

I lived in Aba for 2 year...inside Binez and Terminus hotels...outside of Umungazi GRA and the Low cost housing Estate.....no any place for good human habitation...

TAaaaa! You went to market Yoyo bitters and Oroki in Aba as a marketer...u didn't stay there for 2 years... grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Consumer Potential: Three Nigerian City Clusters To Compete With Lagos by atlwireles: 6:33pm On Aug 05, 2014
Boyedex: From the analysis, Aba and Portharcourt have greater per capita consumptions than Lagos and Ibadan and thus higher average levels of living. However, for starters, when you multiply the per capita of the cities by their respective populations, there is then a bigger overall economy in Lagos and Ibadan than in Ph and Aba respectively. Simple arithmetic that should be devoid of tribal rants.

Why are you confusing facts here, the analysis clearly states Lagos with 15M people has GDP of $68B and Nigerdelta/SE cluster has 64B with about 9M people. Now where is there a larger economic activity per capital?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FB Terms:busting The Lies Peddled By Biafraudexposed and educating the public. / FG To Provide Insurance Cover For Ranch Operators - Audu Ogbeh / Nkechi Ikpeazu Welcomes First Baby Of The Year In Abia, Pays Hospital Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.