Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,265 members, 7,867,701 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 09:52 PM

What To Do When Not Satisfied With Ur Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What To Do When Not Satisfied With Ur Job? (694 Views)

Rili Confuse, Pls, Help Me Out With Ur Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What To Do When Not Satisfied With Ur Job? by Debonair01: 3:56pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hi.. so, i am an engr, about 30yrs and i work with the nigerian public service (IT support). I do not have satisfaction from what i do. The pay is good, actually... very good for public service, but i dnt just do anything at work, i mean other than fix PSs and make sure the internet is running. Its a small office so, its just few access points and we have an ISP, so no serious work.

I just finished my MSC and i will be going back to work. What scares me is, other than the dissatisfaction that comes with my job, i dnt think the experience i am gathering is anything to write home about. I usually visit career sections of Google, FB, Microsoft and the likes, and the skill set they require is nothing close to what i have.

Please i need advice on what i might possibly do. Self development is not really an option for me, as i have tried that in the past (whats the need of learning Ccna or ccnp, for instance, when u dnt have a Cisco based network?), i wld hv loved a situation where i learn on the job or at least where i can practice what i have learnt. Not just learn for a certificate (i am tired of them certificates).

PS: I can continue with what i am doing and become a director in say 15yrs, but i feel life shld hold more.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Not Satisfied With Ur Job? by charleff512(m): 12:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ask yourself this questions
WHAT AM I DOING HERE?
HOW IS WHAT AM DOING CONTRIBUTING TO MY LIFE DREAMS?
WILL I BE FULFILLED WORKING FOR SO LONG HERE?
IF NOT,START WORKING ON AN EXIT PATH CAREEER WISE
It might take sometime but if you focus and strategize,you will get there soon.
Re: What To Do When Not Satisfied With Ur Job? by Debonair01: 5:01pm On Aug 08, 2014
charleff512: Ask yourself this questions
WHAT AM I DOING HERE?
HOW IS WHAT AM DOING CONTRIBUTING TO MY LIFE DREAMS?
WILL I BE FULFILLED WORKING FOR SO LONG HERE?
IF NOT,START WORKING ON AN EXIT PATH CAREEER WISE
It might take sometime but if you focus and strategize,you will get there soon.

Thank you very much sir..... i kind of have answered those questions already, and didn't like the answers. But one thing is discovering the problem, but its an entirely a different ball game getting solutions for them.

Lots of guys envy my job and wld give a left arm for it (but u knw hw the view frm inside can be different)

Like i said, i aint getting any younger, and as i hv come to discover, experiences frm the Nigerian public sector most often can't hold in a very competitive private sector market, talk less of the kind of place i wnt to be. Not like getting those kind of careers are easy to come by anyways.

I thought a masters degree wld help, and i got few mnths till graduation, and my initial fear is back. I AM TIRED OF CERTIFICATES, I AM TIRED OF LEARNING NEW STUFF THAT I CANT FIND PLACES TO APPLY THEM. I wld ultimately setup on my own, but not until i have been in a challenging career.

I want to be in the centre of some technological development, see things made, contribute to the making, learn while making them, propose solutions and ideas that wld be implemented with results ... stuff like that, which the nigerian market obviously doesn't hv right now.

P.s: this is mainly me venting my frustration la, Thank you for the advice. I appreciate

(1) (Reply)

What's The Worst Job You Had As A Student? – Open Thread / Am I Supposed To Earn More Or Less Being A Software Developer / Share Your New Year(2015) Resolutions,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.