Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,462 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips (35795 Views)

Lassa Fever Prevention Tips / Lassa Fever: Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment By WHO / What Are The Signs & Symptoms Of Blocked Fallopian Tubes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
Prevention

Prevention focuses on avoiding contact with the viruses. The following precautions can help prevent infection and spread of Ebola.

Avoid areas of known outbreaks. Before traveling to Africa, find out about current epidemics by checking the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

Wash your hands frequently. As with other infectious diseases, one of the most important preventive measures is frequent hand-washing. Use soap and water, or use alcohol-based hand rubs containing at least 60 percent alcohol when soap and water aren't available.

Reducing the risk of wildlife-to-human transmission from contact with infected fruit bats or monkeys/apes and the consumption of their raw meat. Animals should be handled with gloves and other appropriate protective clothing. Animal products (blood and meat) should be thoroughly cooked before consumption.

Avoid contact with infected people. In particular, caregivers should avoid contact with the person's body fluids and tissues, including blood, semen, vaginal secretions and saliva. People with Ebola are most contagious in the later stages of the disease.

Follow infection-control procedures. If you're a health care worker, wear protective clothing, such as gloves, masks, gowns and eye shields. Keep infected people isolated from others. Dispose of needles and sterilize other instruments.

Don't handle remains. The bodies of people who have died of Ebola disease are still contagious. Specially organized and trained teams should bury the remains, using appropriate safety equipment.

Signs And Symptoms
Signs and symptoms typically begin abruptly within five to 10 days of infection with Ebola virus. Early signs and symptoms include:

Fever
Severe headache
Joint and muscle aches
Chills
Weakness

Over time, symptoms become increasingly severe and may include:

Nausea and vomiting
Diarrhea (may be bloody)
Red eyes
Raised rash
Chest pain and cough
Stomach pain
Severe weight loss
Bleeding, usually from the eyes, and bruising (people near death may bleed from other orifices, such as ears, nose and rectum)
Internal bleeding

People are infectious as long as their blood and secretions contain the virus. Ebola virus was isolated from semen 61 days after onset of illness in a man who was infected in a laboratory.

The incubation period, that is, the time interval from infection with the virus to onset of symptoms, is 2 to 21 days.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ebola-virus/basics/prevention/con-20031241
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Remember Lagos is like the centre of Nigeria and so it's easier for infected people to travel back home to where you are now!!!!
Please be vigilant and stay safe. May Almighty God protect us from this regional epidemic Amen.

24 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by superior1: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
In a state where people go pack full inside cars and danfo like sardines.......
It is well

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Blackchampion(m): 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
All dis preventive measures.....Hmmmm dem hard oooo.
So no more hand shaking ur homies, hugging dem babes, ok wht of packing inside bus n keke? Hmmmm! diaris god oooo

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Blackchampion(m): 5:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
superior1: Ok
Y u d liv dis knd life na?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Okudiover(m): 5:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
4th to comment yipee! I am getting there. grin grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
Na wa see fear
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Realone92(m): 5:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by ednut1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
ebola don make boko haram go hide, cos shekau wont get his attention

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by rattlesnake(m): 5:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
Best prevention
Avoid rumours

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
thanks for the tips.

Learn How to Invest at profitng and earn 50% profit every 20days... www.profitng.com
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by vikel2104: 5:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
Is today Ebola Day or something? Why are there mostly Ebola topics on the frontpage?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by priscaoge(f): 5:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ebola thread hitting FP since the Liberian man visited.... Lol

#Copied! I Hope am free to rebroadcast this via whatsapp, BBM, and Fcbk So that someone will not wake up n tell people to drink acid n bath red oil tomorrow as Ebola vaccine undecided undecided

@Op Thanks for the tips smiley

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Okworigeorge(m): 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
i want to change my moniker to EBOLA so i ll be making front page

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by slimpoppa(m): 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
That's nice
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by 1stola: 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
ok
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Janeify(f): 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
Cool,Nigerians will jump and pass this disease IJN

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by omenpetrol: 5:13pm On Aug 08, 2014
Now am beginning to believe conspiracy theorist. Maybe Ebola is just a ploy to Depopulate West Africa

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Superstar007(m): 5:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Someone will finish reading this but will be among the first people to bath with palm oil next week if a hoax plays out again.

Meanwhile, check this new virus that is ravaging the states>>>

https://www.nairaland.com/1847401/doctors-u.s-high-alert-chikungunya
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by sammieguze(m): 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
thanks
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by oyatmicah(m): 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
na xo i wake up nd saw 12 new msgs, 20 whatsapp msgs,18 bbmpings, 17 facebook
msgs, all to bath with salt nd hot water. abeg i be NEW YAM? ebola go jump nd pass for Nigeria jorr.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by babyfun(f): 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
Okudiover: 4th to comment yipee! I am getting there. grin grin grin cheesy grin
Go get a job!

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by 9jahubcom(m): 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
k
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Cymbal: 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
Same old stuff....
Avoid repetition!!!
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by eunisam: 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
watch ebola in video.

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
Okworigeorge: i want to change my moniker to EBOLA so i ll be making front page
STALE
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by pressplay55: 5:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
nice update, pls mode should leave this topic on front page so that alot of people will be updated on the preventing measures
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Dygeasy(m): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2014
Okworigeorge: i want to change my moniker to EBOLA so i ll be making front page
DRY!!!
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by priscaoge(f): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2014
If u bath with salt today come n read this oooo

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by White007(m): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2014
Thanks for the info op.
Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 08, 2014

Re: Ebola: Signs, Symptoms & Prevention Tips by Biggyd2: 5:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
Posted the comment below on another thread. Thank you Op for this thread. Let us start helping ourselves NOW!!!

Please Lagos State should stop BRT and other buses elsewhere from overcrowding their buses. Many of these buses still carry people with many standing at very close proximity to each other! shocked. Some days back I was at a bank which was so overcrowded and the ACs were not working!

We could start wearing hand gloves and face masks. i have noticed that some people have already started doing that. wink.They are relatively cheap.

And we must change or upgrade our hygiene practices. Wash your hands always (as many times as possible) with water and soap especially before your leave or enter your house. Take your bath too. The prices of sanitizers have skyrocketed but like a Doctor said, adding bleach to water to wash your hands is as good or better. You could also buy methylated spirit instead of sanitizers.

Companies and organizations are advised to provide hand washing materials for visitors to use before entering their establishments. They are advised to use deposable hand towels instead of cloth towels.

Make a conscious effort to avoid rubbing your hand over your face, to avoid introducing an virus into your mouth or eyes. It is difficult, but try until you get there.

Avoid crowded places if you can. Let's minimize the parties etc, unless absolutely necessary. And yes, we all know by now, handshaking and hugging is a serious no no, Lol grin wink

LET US HELP OURSELVES, EDUCATE PEOPLE ABOUT EBOLA, MANY DON'T KNOW THAT THIS IS A KILLER DISEASE. LET EVERYONE BE AWARE and TAKE PREVENTIVE MEASURES. God helping us, this will pass.

NL, please add more info about how to protect ourselves if you of any? Moaning everyday about this this will lead us no where, at least until there is a cure.

My 1Kobo.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mentally Challenged Man And Woman Hold Hands In Public In Delta State. Photo / COVID-19 Patient Who Absconded In Kebbi, Is Dead / Woman Whose Legs Were Shattered By Bullion Van, Pictured In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.