Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

The 8 Monkeys - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 8 Monkeys (1893 Views)

If Man Evolved From Monkeys Why Do Monkeys Still Exist? / The 8 Monkeys / The 8 Most Evil Popes In Catholic History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 8 Monkeys by sleemoon(m): 7:40am On Aug 07, 2014
The 8 Monkeys
(This is reportedly based on an actual experiment
conducted in the U.K.)
Put eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the
room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas
hanging from a hook on the ceiling.
Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all
the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which
makes them miserable. Soon enough, whenever a
monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the
other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon
him and beat him up. Soon, none of the eight
monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.
One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a
new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas
and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other
monkeys are doing the obvious. But undaunted, he
immediately begins to climb the ladder.
All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him
silly. He has no idea why.
However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.
A second original monkey is removed and replaced.
The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder,
but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of
him.
This includes the previous new monkey, who,
grateful that he’s not on the receiving end this
time, participates in the beating because all the
other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea
why he’s attacking the new monkey.
One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced.
Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of
them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of
them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will
enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries,
without having any idea why.
And that is how traditions, religions and systems
get established and followed.
Think twice before following a tradition,religion or
system blindly .. it would make more sense if u get ur
own understanding to it… Thanks

7 Likes

Re: The 8 Monkeys by debayun(m): 7:45am On Aug 07, 2014
Front page seun please I beg you
Re: The 8 Monkeys by MiguelMi6(m): 7:50am On Aug 07, 2014
Homepage Please.Many follow Religion blindly without knowing what their faith is.Beautiful write-up.
Re: The 8 Monkeys by macsika: 7:51am On Aug 07, 2014
Wow... If you can't beat them join them.
Re: The 8 Monkeys by lomprico(m): 7:57am On Aug 07, 2014
A very good eye opener.
Re: The 8 Monkeys by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 07, 2014
smiley
Re: The 8 Monkeys by PastorOluT(m): 8:29am On Aug 07, 2014
grin

Relating this to religion and system might make some sense, but never to christianity 'cos christianity ain't no religion.

And going by the rationale of the anology or experiment (I doubt it anyways), the truth remains that there definitely was sprayof water at the first instance, so even if the new monkeys dont climb n beat the one who tries to, the fact still remains.

So it is in christianity, even if many believes but dont really understand who, what or why they believe n lack first hand experience, the fact still remains the fact 'cos the truth which some at first experienced informed the 'beatings n the preventions' which continues even with those not having first hand experiences.
Re: The 8 Monkeys by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 07, 2014
PastorOluT: grin

Relating this to religion and system might make some sense, but never to christianity 'cos christianity ain't no religion.

And going by the rationale of the anology or experiment (I doubt it anyways), the truth remains that there definitely was sprayof water at the first instance, so even if the new monkeys dont climb n beat the one who tries to, the fact still remains.

So it is in christianity, even if many believes but dont really understand who, what or why they believe n lack first hand experience, the fact still remains the fact 'cos the truth which some at first experienced informed the 'beatings n the preventions' which continues even with those not having first hand experiences.
What is it then-- a cult? undecided

What is the buy-bull?

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by krayzieklay(m): 9:00am On Aug 07, 2014
Mods,Seun,pls put dis on front page and let's hear(see) people's opinions.. Its a nice topic for intellectual discussion. Thank you.
Re: The 8 Monkeys by Toyolad(m): 9:09am On Aug 07, 2014
Hmmmmm,I think this is in relation to traditions and superstitions ALONE.reason being that,we only accept these traditional and cultural beliefs because we see people adhering to them and we think "it's fun and would be advantageous to me".

Religion on the other hand is based on one's personal belief,I mean encounter with our Godfactor..I tell you peepz,religion is not based on dogmatism or follow-the-crowd;it is a personal thing.we are only recognized with those who share the same belief with us
Re: The 8 Monkeys by sleemoon(m): 10:21am On Aug 07, 2014
PastorOluT: grin

So what re u saying in essence pastorOluT cos I couldn't decode a tin u rote.. Elaborate pls
Re: The 8 Monkeys by Ograke(m): 10:24am On Aug 07, 2014
Toyolad: Hmmmmm,I think this is in relation to traditions and superstitions ALONE.reason being that,we only accept these traditional and cultural beliefs because we see people adhering to them and we think "it's fun and would be advantageous to me".

Religion on the other hand is based on one's personal belief,I mean encounter with our Godfactor..I tell you peepz,religion is not based on dogmatism or follow-the-crowd;it is a personal thing.we are only recognized with those who share the same belief with us
I beg to disagree.

This eye-opening analogy is not limited to the confines of traditions and superstitions alone..It extends across all human beliefs,religion inclusive.

There are some religious ideologies we subscribe to without knowing the cause and rationale behind them.

Take Christianity for instance,we are told to pray with our eyes closed.Everyone only makes assumption as to why we do that.No one knows the actual reason.

The proponents of Christianity only taught us to do so while we all adhere to it till today.

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by ojimbo(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2014
Toyolad: Hmmmmm,I think this is in relation to traditions and superstitions ALONE.reason being that,we only accept these traditional and cultural beliefs because we see people adhering to them and we think "it's fun and would be advantageous to me".

i wish i could understand what you mean from your post. Religion=believe, who then brought the awareness to you?

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by Toyolad(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2014
Ograke:
I beg to disagree.

This eye-opening analogy is not limited to the confines of traditions and superstitions alone..It extends across all human beliefs,religion inclusive.

There are some religious ideologies we subscribe to without knowing the cause and rationale behind them.

Take Christianity for instance,we are told to pray with our eyes closed.Everyone only make assumption as to why we do that.No one knows the actual reason.

The proponents of Christianity only taught us to do so while we all adhere to it till today.
hmmm,you've got to practise what you believe in with some dose of common sense.psychology fact:you easily remember things,think deeper and concentrate more when your eyes are closed.It's to make you concentrate more on your corporate worship.

Agreed,there are some ideologies we(many peepz)) subscribe to without knowing the cause but the reasons behind most them are not a mystery,only if we're willing to make researches.those who first promulgated them had their reasons(it's our obligation to search and know these reasons).
Re: The 8 Monkeys by sleemoon(m): 10:57am On Aug 07, 2014
Ograke:
I beg to disagree.

Take Christianity for instance,we are told to pray with our eyes closed.Everyone only makes assumption as to why we do that.No one knows the actual reason.

Well said

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by Ograke(m): 11:48am On Aug 07, 2014
Toyolad: hmmm,you've got to practise what you believe in with some dose of common sense.psychology fact:you easily remember things,think deeper and concentrate more when your eyes are closed.It's to make you concentrate more on your corporate worship.

Agreed,there are some ideologies we(many peepz)) subscribe to without knowing the cause but the reasons behind most them are not a mystery,only if we're willing to make researches.those who first promulgated them had their reasons(it's our obligation to search and know these reasons).
What you just gave here is still an assumption.

You're merely supposing ability to deeply concentrate is the reason we close our eyes during prayers.

Did you hear this directly from the forerunners of Christianity?

We can't negate the fact that their reason(s) could be different from our assumptions.

It still doesn't dispute the fact that we don't know the actual reason we were told to do so.

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by ByfireByfire: 1:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
ATHEISTS IN NAIRALAND WHAT IS YOUR BLOODY,BLIND,FOOLISH EXCITEMENT ABOUT THE OP.YOU EASILY FORGET THAT THE 8 MONKEY ANALOGY APPLIES EVEN MORE TO ATHEISTS WHO IN THE MULTITUDE OF OVERWHELMING EVIDENCES CHOOSE TO BELIEVE CONTRARY JUST BECAUSE OTHER DIE HARD ATHEISTS THAT EXISTED BEFORE THEM BELIEVE THE SAME THING.UNIMAGINABLE IGNORANCE!!

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by ojimbo(m): 2:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
ByfireByfire: ATHEISTS IN NAIRALAND WHAT IS YOUR BLOODY,BLIND,FOOLISH EXCITEMENT ABOUT THE OP.YOU EASILY FORGET THAT THE 8 MONKEY ANALOGY APPLIES EVEN MORE TO ATHEISTS WHO IN THE MULTITUDE OF OVERWHELMING EVIDENCES CHOOSE TO BELIEVE CONTRARY JUST BECAUSE OTHER DIE HARD ATHEISTS THAT EXISTED BEFORE THEM BELIEVE THE SAME THING.UNIMAGINABLE IGNORANCE!!
all i could see is your username

1 Like

Re: The 8 Monkeys by krayzieklay(m): 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
ojimbo: all i could see is your username
lol.... #gbam
Re: The 8 Monkeys by sleemoon(m): 4:29pm On Aug 07, 2014
ojimbo: all i could see is your username
Lolz...
Re: The 8 Monkeys by Boland(m): 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2014
ByfireByfire: ATHEISTS IN NAIRALAND WHAT IS YOUR BLOODY,BLIND,FOOLISH EXCITEMENT ABOUT THE OP.YOU EASILY FORGET THAT THE 8 MONKEY ANALOGY APPLIES EVEN MORE TO ATHEISTS WHO IN THE MULTITUDE OF OVERWHELMING EVIDENCES CHOOSE TO BELIEVE CONTRARY JUST BECAUSE OTHER DIE HARD ATHEISTS THAT EXISTED BEFORE THEM BELIEVE THE SAME THING.UNIMAGINABLE IGNORANCE!!
Gbam!
Re: The 8 Monkeys by sleemoon(m): 11:19am On Aug 08, 2014
This analogy can be related to dis early morning ebola salt scare.... God save us... Ppl jst broadcasting msgs anyhow
Re: The 8 Monkeys by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 08, 2014
Front page things

(1) (Reply)

We Are God!!!!! / For Those Who Thinks Islam Teaches TERRORISM / Decoding Jesus: Separating Man From Myth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.