Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima (3207 Views)

Knock Sensor Bank 1(P0325) Problem In 99 Camry / What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? / P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by steveyen(m): 4:33pm On Aug 07, 2014
I took my Maxima on a out-of-the-state journey and through some very rough Lagos roads ( Ajao estate bad roads, Barracks estate, ogudu terrible roads). After a couple of days I suddenly noticed ' Service engine soon' showing on the dashboard.

I did a scan on the car and got the following error codes:
p0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

p0328 - Knock Sensor Circuit High Input

Please what could these do to the engine? What is the implication of driving the car with these codes still on? How can these be fixed?

I also noticed the car makes a louder/deeper sound than before when revved. This happens after the codes now when I accelerates i do hear a more deep/loud sound.

Kindly help your inputs will be appreciated.
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2014
Is it a 1994 model?
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2014
You have a leaking exhaust and a faulty knock sensor or disconnected socket from the sensor.

Give more details about your engine and vehicle. (4 or 6 cylinder)
steveyen: I took my Maxima on a out-of-the-state journey and through some very rough Lagos roads ( Ajao estate bad roads, Barracks estate, ogudu terrible roads). After a couple of days I suddenly noticed ' Service engine soon' showing on the dashboard.
Please what could these do to the engine? What is the implication of driving the car with these codes still on? How can these be fixed?
I also noticed the car makes a louder/deeper sound than before when revved. This happens after the codes now when I accelerates i do hear a more deep/loud sound.
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by steveyen(m): 7:36am On Aug 08, 2014
GAZZUZZ: You have a leaking exhaust and a faulty knock sensor or disconnected socket from the sensor.

Give more details about your engine and vehicle. (4 or 6 cylinder)

Thanks so much for your input.

It's a 6 cylinder 3.5L engine 2004 Maxima S.L (Dagrin)
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by steveyen(m): 7:37am On Aug 08, 2014
Costee: Is it a 1994 model?

Thanks Costee.

It's a 2004 Model (Dagrin) 6 cylinder 3.5L engine
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:42am On Aug 08, 2014
steveyen:

Thanks so much for your input.

It's a 6 cylinder 3.5L engine 2004 Maxima S.L (Dagrin)

When fixing your exhaust pipe make sure tell the person fixing it not to remove your catalyst. Very important.
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by steveyen(m): 8:04am On Aug 08, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

When fixing your exhaust pipe make sure tell the person fixing it not to remove your catalyst. Very important.

Will make sure I do that. Thanks.

Could there be other symptoms to check out on the car or just the leaking exhaust? Cause people are telling me the following ;
-Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors may be faulty
- Fuel injector leaks
- Spark plugs may be faulty
- Improper ignition timing
-Three way catalyst converter Bank 1
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19am On Aug 08, 2014
steveyen:

Will make sure I do that. Thanks.

Could there be other symptoms to check out on the car or just the leaking exhaust? Cause people are telling me the following ;
-Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors may be faulty
- Fuel injector leaks
- Spark plugs may be faulty
- Improper ignition timing
-Three way catalyst converter Bank 1

U said you had a service engine soon light, not a check light, for all I know they may be stored codes from when your car was last worked on. But because you said "a deeper louder sound" and you went over "terrible roads" and your scan results include lower "catalyst efficiency" 1st thing to do is check for the obvious.

Do that reset car drive arround for a day and rescan.
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 08, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

U said you had a service engine soon light, not a check light, for all I know they may be stored codes from when your car was last worked on. But because you said "a deeper louder sound" and you went over "terrible roads" and your scan results include lower "catalyst efficiency" 1st thing to do is check for the obvious.

Do that rest car drive around for a day and rescan.
Makes sense. Bank 1 is the one close to the firewall and nearer to the ground. The impact of the very rough roads may have unsettled things down below. But then lets hope that the catalyst converter itself was not already going bad and that the recent experience became a coup de grace. The knock sensor probably got triggered off in the process, not necessarily gone bad. I think OP should erase codes and scan again should SES light return to confirm.
Btw Gazzuzz, Service Engine Soon is used by Nissan for MIL, which is the Check Engine for some other makes. Or what do you mean by "check light"?
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:18am On Aug 08, 2014
Costee:
Makes sense. Bank 1 is the one close to the firewall and nearer to the ground. The impact of the very rough roads may have unsettled things down below. But then lets hope that the catalyst converter itself was not already going bad and that the recent experience became a coup de grace. The knock sensor probably got triggered off in the process, not necessarily gone bad. I think OP should erase codes and scan again should SES light return to confirm.
Btw Gazzuzz, Service Engine Soon is used by Nissan for MIL, which is the Check Engine for some other makes. Or what do you mean by "check light"?

did not know about the bolded thought it was an oil reminder or service reminder, thanks for the info.
Re: Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima by KA24DETT(m): 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
steveyen: I took my Maxima on a out-of-the-state journey and through some very rough Lagos roads ( Ajao estate bad roads, Barracks estate, ogudu terrible roads). After a couple of days I suddenly noticed ' Service engine soon' showing on the dashboard.

check your bank 1 02 sensor ., knock sensor high input might be as simple as a result of bad fuel so you might wana clear that code and try another gas station and see if the fuel returns . VQ35DE engine on the 04 maxima uses an electronic knock sensor unlike the old VQ30DE engine which has a real knock sensor . Have you noticed any change in your fuel economy ? Your catalytic converter might be clogged too. Report back on the fuel efficiency of your car

(1) (Reply)

What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft / Mercedes AC Advice Needed / 12 Weird Car Designs That Show Creativity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.