Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,757 members, 7,820,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? (9471 Views)

Five Common Roadside Emergencies And How To Deal With Them / .. / 5 Ways To Buy The Cheapest Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 11:47am On Jan 08, 2015
I only recently got this code P0142 on my 2.4 '03 Honda Accord which refers to the Catalytic converter being below threshold. In simple terms this code means the CAT is almost gone and the result is a constant unicode lit CEL. I now realized that the code is trouble for a Nigerian who likes to keep a car running close to manufacturers recommendation. It takes 1-3 or something like 100miles or above to have the light back after clearing the code with the OBD II tool. I must mention to those who do not know that apart from the lit CEL, high fuel consumption is inevitable in tolerating this code.

To properly fix the code i understand one needs a new OEM CAT which is not affordable to me. Getting a used one like most mechanics advise is also tricky since a good buy cannot be determined at the point of purchase. Like i stated above, it may take up to 3 or more days before i know the used CAT i purchased is still good or not. Even if it is good for a week to a month, how much longer can i be guaranteed? (Question 1: Is there a way i will know from live data?)

Nigeria does not have the laws to compel me to keep my CAT according to factory spec. I have attempted to install a spark plug defouler but the locally sourced one does not fit to size and cannot be installed. I do get live data so i assume the sensor is good. The solution like i have read is to install an O2 spacer of spark plug defouler that will fit. However, getting that locally is a challenge. (Question 2: Can i get any of that in ABJ and where if you know?)

I have started entertaining a thought of fabricating the spacer. (Question 3: What is the best dimensions for this spacer)

Seina did mention on an old thread that a straight pipe would work better in the event you would like to gut out the CAT. (Question 4: At this early stage of the CAT failure, should i just do the straight pipe thing to avoid getting back to the same code in the near future?)

Question 5: What other advice do i need to attempt getting off with the code.

Please the best procedure must be cheap for me to afford without spending a fortune. Ikenna, you did something like this though probably on a Peugeot which i know a Honda emissions system will be harder to fool but your experience is needed too.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by lonelydora: 7:00pm On Jan 08, 2015
CEL came up while I was travelling back to phc from the village on the 3rd of January. Please wen u r done, just let me know so that I follow ur method. I hate seeing that CEL light on my dash.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2015
Had this dreaded code on my 05 accord about a year ago after changing my cat. Used a sparkplug spacer and the code was gone. Its over a year now and it never came back.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by lonelydora: 8:05pm On Jan 08, 2015
abatically:
Had this dreaded code on my 05 accord about a year ago after changing my cat. Used a sparkplug spacer and the code was gone. Its over a year now and it never came back.
Please how did you do it? Where did you buy the spacer? Where and how much did you buy your catalyst? I am in Port Harcourt, can you help me buy it?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 8:22pm On Jan 08, 2015
abatically:

Please if you bought in Abj let me know where so i can buy tomorrow.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2015
adanny01:

Please if you bought in Abj let me know where so i can buy tomorrow.

I live in Lagos, bought it for 25k in ladipo. I understand its not oem so as I expected the code came back within 3 months of installing the cat. So I used a spacer and the code has been away for over a year. The spacer is about 1,500.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2015
The christmas light popped up in my Highlander 2.4L 4cyl dash today. Scanned it, and I got three codes:

P1135
P0161
P0141

They are O2 heater code related. I searched from Kubwa to Jabi and Utako spare parts shops (even Ekesons plaza) and none had a damn common sensor. I am really worn out and tired. Infact I feel I've stretched myself beyond my limit. I maybe tempted to do the Naija style. Drive the damn car even with the check engine light illuminated.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by lonelydora: 8:30pm On Jan 08, 2015
abatically:

I live in Lagos, bought it for 25k in ladipo. I understand its not oem so as I expected the code came back within 3 months of installing the cat. So I used a spacer and the code has been away for over a year. The spacer is about 1,500.
Can we communicate on mail? I sent you a PM.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:53pm On Jan 08, 2015
lomomike:
The christmas light popped up in my Highlander 2.4L 4cyl dash today. Scanned it, and I got three codes:

P1135
P0161
P0141

They are O2 heater code related. I searched from Kubwa to Jabi and Utako spare parts shops (even Ekesons plaza) and none had a damn common sensor. I am really worn out and tired. Infact I feel I've stretched myself beyond my limit. I maybe tempted to do the Naija style. Drive the damn car even with the check engine light illuminated.

I can help, I created a post on that a few weeks ago, $4.35/pound to abuja if you place the order yourself, send me a PM and I will give you my US address. Pay only after I have cleared the goods not before!!

But if i place the order for you, then I go chop your dollar!

I can also bring in via passenger flight from the US to Nigeria within the month for a price, whichever you prefer
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 08, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

I can help, I created a post on that a few weeks ago, $4.35/pound to abuja if you place the order yourself, send me a PM and I will give you my US address. Pay only after I have cleared the goods not before!!

But if i place the order for you, then I go chop your dollar!

I can also bring in via passenger flight from the US to Nigeria within the month for a price, whichever you prefer

Thanks bro! I would had love to deal with you on this. But I'd soon travel back to Ibadan. This means the HL will be parked and my RX will be commanded to deal with my daily commute. However send me your quoted price+ shippment to my doorstep via the email registered to my nairaland username. Looking forward to getting an email.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 08, 2015
abatically:

I feel I'd not even remove any damn A/F sensor shyte. I'd just slam a spacer thru. Its really offensive getting distracted by the MIL.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2015
Adanny sorry 4 bombarding your thread with my own palava. Hope apologies accepted?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 9:31pm On Jan 08, 2015
@Op, your first misconception is concerning getting a used one. Contrary to what you have stated, you can easily tell a good replacement just by looking at it. I.e even before it is installed. I don't know where you intend to get your from sha but a used replacement is easily obtainable in Lagos.

Secondly, I still have spacers although just one left. However for anyone intending to install a spacer, you MUST de-cat first. Meaning, you must remove the element in the exhaust. This is because, if at that point, your element has broken up into pieces or breaks into pieces later on, you will not know until it is too late and the particles have been sucked into your engine.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 10:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
lonelydora:

Can we communicate on mail? I sent you a PM.

I replied ur pm
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 10:14pm On Jan 08, 2015
nissparts:
@Op, your first misconception is concerning getting a used one. Contrary to what you have stated, you can easily tell a good replacement just by looking at it. I.e even before it is installed. I don't know where you intend to get your from sha but a used replacement is easily obtainable in Lagos.

Secondly, I still have spacers although just one left. However for anyone intending to install a spacer, you MUST de-cat first. Meaning, you must remove the element in the exhaust. This is because, if at that point, your element has broken up into pieces or breaks into pieces later on, you will not know until it is too late and the particles have been sucked into your engine.

Cheers

De-cat? I installed my cat in may 2013, light came back in July, I then installed spacer in July 2013 and since then light never came back. I check my cat regularly though and its still OK.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by lonelydora: 10:23pm On Jan 08, 2015
abatically:

I replied ur pm
Please resend, I can't find it on my inbox.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 10:41pm On Jan 08, 2015
lonelydora:

Please resend, I can't find it on my inbox.

Just sent u another one

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:47am On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

I feel I'd not even remove any dam A/F
P1135
P0161
P0141

They are O2 heater code related.

You need a new O2 sensor. Heater is Bad.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

You need a new O2 sensor. Heater is Bad.

Chief thanks, I know they are bad, but na as I suffer yesterday to search for them without success dey pain me hence my ranting.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:01am On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

Chief thanks, I know they are bad, but na as I suffer yesterday to search for them without success dey pain me hence my ranting.

In the spirit of the new year

I will direct you to where to get it in lagos tongue grin
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 8:40am On Jan 09, 2015
abatically:

De-cat? I installed my cat in may 2013, light came back in July, I then installed spacer in July 2013 and since then light never came back. I check my cat regularly though and its still OK.

LOL...Pray tell me how you check your cat regularly?
You have a panel beater remove your exhaust and catalyst to look inside on a regular basis?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 1:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

P1135
P0161
P0141

I bought my car with a P1157 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Range/Performance Problem but i got a used one in Apo mech village for N3,000 and has been working well.

From live scan you should know for sure that the two sensors are not live. Am sure you will get it with those in Apo who sell exhaust parts except if you are after new oem, them your search will be stressful.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 09, 2015
adanny01:

I bought my car with a P1157 Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Range/Performance Problem but i got a used one in Apo mech village for N3,000 and has been working well.

From live scan you should know for sure that the two sensors are not live. Am sure you will get it with those in Apo who sell exhaust parts except if you are after new oem, them your search will be stressful.

Okay, this is better. But I will soon travel to Ibadan. If I enter Agodi Gates spareparts market, I will ask and purchase them. Do I need to take my bad A/F sensor along with me or ask for a Highlander's 2AZ-FE engine A/F sensor without taking the faulty sensor along with me?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

In the spirit of the new year

I will direct you to where to get it in lagos tongue grin

Lol, thanks smiley
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by charlesadeoye(m): 8:59pm On Jan 09, 2015
nissparts:

Cheers

@nissparts. Please I need those spacers, I tried calling your line on your signature, it wasn't going through.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

Okay, this is better. But I will soon travel to Ibadan. If I enter Agodi Gates spareparts market, I will ask and purchase them. Do I need to take my bad A/F sensor along with me or ask for a Highlander's 2AZ-FE engine A/F sensor without taking the faulty sensor along with me?

I think you need to take every thing including the car if you are buying a used one. You have to install and scan live data before you pay, thats how i did it. Both sensors are hard to unscrew, an Oxy Acetylene Welder may have to preheat.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by sultaan(m): 8:39am On Jan 10, 2015
A live scan will tell you how both o2 sensors are working and you can check the temperature before and after the cat you will be sure which is not working.If both sensors are good there is a wrecked camry somewhere with a good sensor; find it and borrow that cat for a token grin even the whole exhaust

If the senor has a problem Piyke has a spare with easy wiring issue, or a way to order a new one
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by speed001: 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
I'm havin d same problem with my 2.4L camry engine. The same code P1135 and d same obd interpretation. Pls which is d correct sensor? Is it d one on the manifold opposite d radiator or the one bellow the car before the catalyst. Note I've looked for dis sensor and I neva c sef. Some mechanics often claim' oga e nor dey do anyfin we dey cut am throway. Smh''. So pls lomomike help. Wud dat make d car guzzle more fuel?

lomomike:

P1135
P0161
P0141

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 11, 2015
speed001:
I'm havin d same problem with my 2.4L camry engine. The same code P1135 and d same obd interpretation. Pls which is d correct sensor? Is it d one on the manifold opposite d radiator or the one bellow the car before the catalyst. Note I've looked for dis sensor and I neva c sef. Some mechanics often claim' oga e nor dey do anyfin we dey cut am throway. Smh''. So pls lomomike help. Wud dat make d car guzzle more fuel?

Here is it.

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Dave1987: 6:50am On Jan 15, 2015
the cheapest way is to get a cheapest scan tool to reset the error codes
http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/mini-elm327-interface-viecar-obd2-bluetooth.html
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 2:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
I am having a P0420 on my 2005 Lexus ES330.

I have taken down the catalyst last year, soaked in water cheesy cheesy cheesy cleared the codes and they came back to keep me company again.
Sometimes the codes go off themselves and come back on again, this happens when i do two or three quick stops and driving with the car already heated.

I have since learnt to drive with my xmas lights on. The terrible thing about the Lexus is that the CEL also triggers the TRAC and VSA lights with it. Brand new Cats cost about $550 and i no get that kind money now.

A guy who runs the an Auto centre gave me this procedure; I haven't tried it but off the hand, i sort of believe it won't work.

STart the car and allow it to idle.
Allow it to get to normal operating temperature.
Rev it to 3000 rpm and hold on to it for 3 - 5 mins
Switch off the engine afterwards and clear codes.

My mind tells me they will come back again so i haven't bothered trying.

In the mean time, anyone who is able to figure out where to get Spacers in Abj, please let me know. I am keen to try that out.
By the way, are the Spacers generic; as in, does one fit all cars?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2015
Emperoh:
I am having a P0420 on my 2005 Lexus ES330.

I have taken down the catalyst last year, soaked in water cheesy cheesy cheesy cleared the codes and they came back to keep me company again.
Sometimes the codes go off themselves and come back on again, this happens when i do two or three quick stops and driving with the car already heated.

I have since learnt to drive with my xmas lights on. The terrible thing about the Lexus is that the CEL also triggers the TRAC and VSA lights with it. Brand new Cats cost about $550 and i no get that kind money now.

A guy who runs the an Auto centre gave me this procedure; I haven't tried it but off the hand, i sort of believe it won't work.

STart the car and allow it to idle.
Allow it to get to normal operating temperature.
Rev it to 3000 rpm and hold on to it for 3 - 5 mins
Switch off the engine afterwards and clear codes.

My mind tells me they will come back again so i haven't bothered trying.

In the mean time, anyone who is able to figure out where to get Spacers in Abj, please let me know. I am keen to try that out.
By the way, are the Spacers generic; as in, does one fit all cars?

Lol, so you're now comfy with that annoying light?

No matter what trick you perform, that light must come up until you find what triggers the fault. Its even worst in Toyota/Lexus/Scion cars because even if pigeon farts, it will come up.

My 2003 HL 2.4L christmas light showed up, three rubbish codes up. 4 nights ago my RX330's own christmas lights showed up VSC and Check light I've not scanned it yet. I don vex park them travel back to Ibadan via bus.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FRSC Advises Nigerians On How To Drive Successfully / What's Your Wrong Car Painting Experience And In Which City? / Meet The Man With 7,000 Luxurious Cars(sultan Of Brunei)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.