Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,902 members, 7,821,141 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! (11487 Views)

Nigerian Volunteers To Sierra Leone, Liberia Locked Up In Hotel Over Unpaid Bill / US Sends Medical Experts To Study How Nigeria Tamed Ebola / Health Min. Onyebuchi Chukwu Deserves Commendation For His Fight Against Ebola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by NaMe4: 2:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
Clears throat . . .

Na only me waka come?

Seriously, the reality has set in. It's within our shores, but one thing for sure is that we will NOT be left helpless. This is the final bus stop for ebola.

First step is for us to make good use of fora like this one for potential volunteers, medical experts and those who feel they have valuable contributions to make in order to organise ourselves and know what steps to take in prevention, information rendering and even approaching the necessary authorities with potential solutions.

I surfed the web today in search of government agencies offering such information and it was rather . . . Well! So I feel we can start something here.

3 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by ajasbaba(m): 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2014
ok i was here

1 Like

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by NaMe4: 2:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ebola is the name given to the virus which causes this potentially deadly disease. It was named after a River in Zaire, where the disease was first identified in the 70s.

Among viruses, ebola is a relatively small virus measuring about 0.08 micron meter in its diameter and has variable length. This gives it a worm-like appearance. (Average sizes of viruses range between 0.02 micron meter and 0.2 micron meter and can only be seen using an electron microscope).

Imagine the size of the human skin pore which is an average of 30 micron meter to 50 micron meter. This is more than enough room for the virus to make its way into the human body. This is where the risk of direct contact with an infected patient comes in.

And one very important thing, the virus seems to be a very virulent disease-causing organism, meaning it hardly misses its chance to infect any suitable host.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by DanielBlanc(m): 2:41pm On Aug 08, 2014
There should actually be a programme to initiate this campaign against Ebola for interested participants most especially for paramedical and medical personnel to educate the masses about this epidemic and various ways to control it's spread, this will go a long way of providing a helping hand to the government in fighting against this fearsome enemy the Ebola, I would gladly fulfill my purpose as a medical practitioner to support and gladly give my life to stop this rampage from spreading we all have loved ones to save, I say we stand tall against Ébola.

13 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 08, 2014
All the way to Calvary

He went for me 3x.

All the way to Calvary He went for me.

He died to set me free.

12 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
I deh follow una bumper to bumper.... but on nairaland alone

3 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
Pic i dont believe it

1 Like

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by alaladakosta(f): 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
Sir , you heard what happened to the two American volunteers, right? Stop assuming you will get one in Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by englishmart(m): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2014
Before I was afraid to go close to ebola patients.
Now, all I'm saying is "bring them on."
LOL.

No mind me,

all Na wash

3 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ebola now trending..

2 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2014
Nairaland grin
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
All the ebola victims should get pastor chris oyakhilome book non of this deasease they wil be heal in jesus name #christembassy

2 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by gameboi: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by diarra94(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2014
this will be a real test to pharmacist and medical health practitioners in nigeria. we should be able to provide and create medications to treat our own diseases and reduce this over reliance on western medications. this should also encourage the nigerian government to introduce much more modern facilities in our hospitals and in tertiary instutions to ensure students get the maximum training in such fields.

3 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by overhypedsteve(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2014
H
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by igbsam(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2014
Oya, let the informations from experts pour in. Anything to stay alive. I ain't gonna get cut up in some Ebola shyt.
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by overhypedsteve(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
I know i wield some unconventional knowledge of the field of medicine. And i am therefore an eligible participant of this Nobel thread.
Those who know and have benefited from my knowledge and advice on contemporary medical issues have done so to their own disadvantage. But still yet there still remain a vast number of people who still consider my opinion on medical issues as authoritative and genuine.
As per the row about the use of common salt in the prevention of this deadly virus. I would advice us to for the mean time restrict the use of salts to the kitchen, as it has proven to be an invaluable ingredient in the preparation of food both cooked and roasted, this much i know about the benefit of salt, but as to its antiviral properties, i would leave that to those who have seen the depth and hollow crevices of the big and gigantic hardcovered textbooks and publications that are common to those of the medical profession.
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
Eat lots of bitter cola...It both prevents and cures Ebola

1 Like

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by overhypedsteve(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ebola

5 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by englishmart(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
kennygee: All the way to Calvary

He went for me 3x.

All the way to Calvary He went for me.

He died to set me free.
we are all familiar with that song.
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Odunharry(m): 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
Present
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by tigonana: 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
Just passing by.
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by harrysterol(m): 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
Negligence of duty is not enough reason if our government fails to stop the menace, well I will say if proper funds are sent out, I can personally carry out proper research on virology n genetic mutability of the virus, the are some lysis method that can the applied in it brake down
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
On the development of a vaccine for Ebola

Vaccines and Anti-Viral Therapies for EHF and MHF

Extensive research efforts over the past decade have focused on development of vaccines and anti-viral therapies for EHF and MHF, and currently there are numerous promising products in development [85]–[87]. This evidence suggests there may be an optimistic picture for future licensing of efficacious biologic-based measures for EHF and MHF. But are these applicable for those most at risk for disease? There are two scenarios to consider: vaccines that are administered before the exposure, which prevent disease, and vaccines or anti-viral therapies that can be administered after the exposure (either before or possibly after onset of disease) to prevent or improve the clinical prognosis of illness. From an occupation-based risk standpoint, prophylactic vaccination will be clearly a valuable preventive measure, both for individuals with potential exposure in the laboratory or through ecological work, as well as medical and public health personal involved in hands-on outbreak response activities.

When we consider those at risk of endemic exposure to EBOV or MARV—the bottom billion—the potential value of prophylactic vaccination becomes murky. A scenario in which one envisions applying vaccine across the entire endemic population in sub-Saharan Africa is unrealistic. Given the total burden of filovirus disease (~2,300 total cases identified since 1967), attempting the administration of millions of doses of vaccine has limited justification, particularly considering the current ongoing challenge of establishing high levels of coverage of routine immunizations in many endemic areas. For instance, estimated coverage of polio and measles among 1-year-olds in Uganda in 2009 was 59% and 68%, respectably [88].

A second prophylactic vaccination strategy would be to apply a targeted or mass vaccination campaign to an entire region, in the event of an outbreak. Given the nature of the spread of EBOV and MARV in outbreak settings (chains of person-to-person transmission), the efficacious outbreak control measure already developed (contact tracing, isolation, and safe burials), and the scope of even the largest outbreaks (Gulu, Uganda in 2000 with 425 EHF cases is the largest known outbreak), the application of mass vaccination would not be an efficient or cost effective control mechanism, and would likely draw resources and public personnel away from outbreak control activities. Additionally, if vaccine is administered to an exposed individual during the incubation period and disease subsequently develops, there is a risk that those administering the vaccine will be perceived by the local population as spreading the disease, which would undermine efforts to further implement vaccination or other control methods.

A final strategy, in the instance of a vaccine or anti-viral drug with the potential to prevent or minimize severity of disease, would be to apply these measures to high risk contacts of suspected or confirmed EHF or MHF cases, as well as to those who are already ill (and in isolation). This activity, if measures can be administered early enough to be effective, would inevitably save lives and would be an incentive for suspected patients to enter isolation. However, from an outbreak control standpoint, a symptomatic individual tracked through contact tracing activities is in essence removed from the “transmitter pool”, and shortly after onset of symptoms (and infectiousness) will be placed under safe isolation for proper medical care. Similarly, sick individuals, already in properly managed isolation, would not further propagate the virus. Thus, while having potential therapeutic value, post-exposure biologics may have limited impact on the scope of EHF or MHF outbreaks.

Finally, it worth reiterating in the broad context of vaccines or anti-viral therapies for outbreak settings, that any application is contingent on identification of the outbreak. Since traditionally in large outbreaks, a high proportion of cases occur before outbreak identification, biologic-based prevention measures would have no impact on these cases. With effective surveillance, initial cases can be identified rapidly, minimizing the overall impact of the outbreak through classic outbreak control measures. Thus, while not a stand-alone intervention for outbreak control, application of anti-viral therapies may help lower the overall impact of fatalities in EHF and MHF outbreaks.

[url=http://www.plosntds.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pntd.0001546]Source[/url]

Federal Ministry of Health EBOLA website RIGHT HERE
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Lexusgs430: 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
Volunteers with my mouth for nairaland or in person? If the latter, I dodge and pass!!!
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
englishmart: we are all familiar with that song.

Its not bad to sing it now.

1 Like

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by romzyxy(m): 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
a friend of mine told me his mum said he should boil water and add salt then use the water to take his bath to avoid ebola virus.......an hour later i read on the internet news about f.g countering it.........
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by ghananotnaija(m): 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
Seriously, it's time to quit your jobs. It's better to be poor and only have one bowl of garri to drink than to have pepper soup and die of Ebola.
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by kocvalour(m): 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
those supporting the use of salt should be sent on exile to Liberia!!
Nonsense
Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by chidi2pus(m): 4:56pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ebola however is a VIRUS and is unaffected by salt. Bathing, drinking or, applying salt will have no beneficial effect whatsoever. (Same goes for pepper, vinegar, kolanuts, “Agbo Jedi-Jedi” or “Burntashi”)

A person with Ebola is only infective when they begin to show symptoms. What this means is that you are very unlikely to contract the virus from a person who is not visibly ill.

Even though early symptoms may mimic other common febrile illnesses, the characteristic external bleeding from the mouth and nose and other sites as well as red eyes and mucous membranes clearly distinguish Ebola from other illnesses that cause fever and malaise.

Epidemiological research shows that majority of those who get infected are close family relations, carers and medical personnel who have been involved in the one on one treatment and care of victims. Persons who have handled corpses of Ebola victims are also prone. What this means is that unless you are a doctor, nurse, relative of an Ebola victim or an undertaker, your risk of contacting Ebola is (theoretically) very low.
Spread information, not fear.

11 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by englishmart(m): 4:56pm On Aug 08, 2014
glitest: Eat lots of bitter cola...It both prevents and cures Ebola
bitter kola does non of the above:-/undecidedundecidedundecidedundecided see how you've collectively made the price of bitter kola to get extremely high undecidedundecidedundecidedundecided no more #20 b. Kolaundecidedundecidedundecidedundecided

2 Likes

Re: Medical Experts And Volunteers Against Ebola. Let's Meet Here! by 9jahubcom(m): 4:56pm On Aug 08, 2014
yes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please, What Can I Use For Beard Growth / Lagos Doctors To Go On Warning Strike On 13 July Over COVID-19 Hazard Allowance / Woman Narrates Ordeal After Suffering 35 Miscarriages In 7 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.