Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

My Funny Story : Ebola And Salt Saga - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Funny Story : Ebola And Salt Saga (953 Views)

Ebola And Fraud: The Nanosilver LIES By Dr. Rima E. Laibow / Warm Water And Salt To Help Prevent Ebola? / Warm Water And Salt: Possible Prevention For Ebola? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Funny Story : Ebola And Salt Saga by Kelvindwaplord(m): 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
Today is no doubt one of the "Funniest" Fridays in the history of nigeria. Funny in the sense that one baseless RUMOR made our so-called "LITERATES" to act like complete "ILLITERATES". Me , Just like many other nigerians woke up to a very bizzarie news this morning. I was sleeping on my bed in my room this morning when I heard a LOUD knock on our main door. "Who on earth could that be?" , I asked my self as I reluctantly walked towards the door. Just then my mum was almost at the door and so she got there few seconds before me. The following conversation took place between my mum and my next door neighbour.

Mama Jeff : Goodmorning Oooo
My Mum : Goodmorning.
Mama Jeff : Have you Heard the latest news?
My Mum : No Ooo. What is happening? *anxious*
Mama Jeff : I Just received a call from my sister in the east , she said that "They are going to release a dangerous substance in the air" to fight ebola and "Everybody should Drink and Bathe with hot salt water" Before 7am to prevent infection.
My Mum : Aaaaah!! Mama Jeff thank you ooooooooo!!! *Shuts The Door* and *Jumps into the kitchen*

In a split second everyone in my house wokeup (Except my dad who had already gone to work) . Within my self I knew this is not true and I'm definately not going to drink any salt water. To make things worst , I received another broadcast message from a friend on BBM

WTF! Why is everyone So "DUMB"? I asked rethorically. The next thing I saw was my mum with cups and a kettle filled with Hot water. She dropped them on the table , went back to the kitchen and Brought out a jar filled with salt. It was like a joke to me. Just then , I realised the world has gone crazy. If my Mum , A school teacher can do this then I wonder the illiterates will do.

My sisters took turns to drink this mixture and when it got to my turn , I refused to drink. Seeing how reluctant I was , my mum rose from her chair and gave me a thunderous slap. Do you want to die? She asked . Obviously I don't want to die , but I was hell bent on not drinking that mixture. For a moment I was seriously raged. Not because of the slap I received but because I couldn't retaliate. Had it been it wasn't my Mum I would have retaliated with two thunderous and simultaneous slaps. After much "Begging" from my family members I decided to drink the mixture just so that they will let me be!

Next , I took to my social media and as usual , the news was already trending. While some the news seriously , others took it with a pinch of salt. Some people were so scared that they didn't go to work. It was as if a death sentence was placed on nigeria and everyone was saying their last prayers.

My Heart raced for joy when I saw tweets from Atiku Abubakar and WHO falsing the claims of Ebola And Salt Saga. See tweets below.

Whoever started this rumor did a great Job in putting fear in nigerians , however I'm somehow happy this happened. This opened my eyes to somethings and I learnt that

*Nigerians Value Their Lives

*Nigerians Are HIGHLY SENSITIVE To Information.

What's your own story? Did you bathe with salt water grin

Posted On My New Blog : http://crunchnaija.com/ebola-salt-saga.html

(1) (Reply)

NMA Press Release On Ebola Management And Strike / Docs Pls Help / Why Do People Go Insane?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.