Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami (21535 Views)

Nigerian Young Man Finds Love In The Arms Of White Grandma / Luckiest Family Right Now, Indonesian Family That Missed Boarding Airasia QZ8501 / Man In Search Of Ghost Finds Girlfriend Sleeping With Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by jmoore(m): 9:04pm On Aug 08, 2014
An Indonesian family claims to have found their missing daughter a full decade
after she was swept away as a toddler by the 2004 tsunami and presumed dead.
“It’s a miracle from God,” mother Jamaliah, 42, told the Jakarta Globe. “When I
saw her, my heart was beating really fast … We couldn’t hold back our tears.”
Fleeing huge waves as the tsunami pummelled their village in West Aceh on 26
December 2004, Jamaliah said she and her husband, Septi Rangkuti, 52, ran for
safety but couldn’t escape the water. Her husband found a large wooden board
and put the two youngest children on top of it — daughter Raudhatul Jannah, then
4, and her brother Arif Pratama Rangkuti, 7.
Septi was separated from his children in the mayhem and the parents spent a
month looking for them after the tsunami receded, with no leads and, eventually,
no hope.
More than 170,000 people in Aceh, and tens of thousands of others in other
countries around the Indian Ocean, were killed by the Boxing Day tragedy.
The couple moved house with their one surviving son and carried on with their
lives, expecting to never find their missing children — until in June Jamaliah’s
brother spotted a girl who looked like missing daughter Raudhatul.
He asked local villagers about the girl and discovered that she had been orphaned
by the tsunami. Swept from Aceh all the way out to a remote island south-west of
the province, she was rescued by a local fisherman and taken back to the
fisherman’s house, where he spent the last decade raising her as “Wenni” with his
ageing mother.
“It’s a miracle from God,” Jamaliah told the paper, describing how she and her
husband visited the girl in late June to confirm the rumour.
“The girl’s face resembles mine,” she added, claiming that she was willing to take
a DNA test to confirm the girl’s identity. “Maybe because there was a strong
connection, when I hugged her, she hugged me back and felt very comfortable in
my embrace.”
Daughter Raudhatul returned home to live in West Aceh with her parents on
Wednesday. After 10 years living apart, mother Jamaliah said she is building a
strong relationship with the girl’s foster parents, who are very happy that she
found her “supposed birth parents”.
But the arrival of Raudhatul may bring even more good news. The girl, now 14,
says that she and her older brother Arif, who is still missing, both survived the
tsunami and ended up together on Banyak Island. But the girl was taken away by
one fisherman, and the brother by another man, leading the parents to believe
their son – also presumed dead for the past decade – may be out there too.
“My instinct tells me he’s still alive,” she says of her son. “We’ll go there soon to
find [him].”

Source>> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/08/indonesian-family-finds-daughter-swept-away-in-2004-tsunami

18 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
Hnnnnm....

Quite cool. I hope they find the brother.

Nothing feels better than reuniting with your loved ones after you must have mourned and erased them from your mind.

4 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by DonaldGenes(m): 3:44am On Aug 09, 2014
Iyammi!!!! , I can understand such moment, at best Not explained especially seeing your lost family reunite in one piece., Such an exhilarating feeling.

Meanwhile, iDon't think the Son is dead, they should go on a lookout too..Anything nis possible

2 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by buchisom1(m): 3:45am On Aug 09, 2014
Small world....
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by equlibrium(m): 3:48am On Aug 09, 2014
SEUN!!!!! angry
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by JUO(m): 3:50am On Aug 09, 2014
oh that is God

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by shadowwalker101: 3:52am On Aug 09, 2014
wonderful
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Erukuomoibadan: 3:53am On Aug 09, 2014
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Aromas: 3:55am On Aug 09, 2014
somebody shout halle luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu God u'r great!!! Allahu Akbar!!! Olorun awon oba!!! Chineke indima!!! Na Gode!!! Keep working with ur miracles. If you believe in God don't scroll down without hitting like on this bcuz today is my birthday

115 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by phemmy88(m): 3:57am On Aug 09, 2014
hmm....May we Never Go Missing In Jesus Name ......Amen...... !!

6 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Sijo01(f): 3:59am On Aug 09, 2014
Waoooo, this is touching.
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Nobody: 4:17am On Aug 09, 2014
A very big small world..with the kind of my attitude,and dreams I always have,something tells me, Dangote is my father..

17 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by ggrin(f): 4:23am On Aug 09, 2014
shocked Shai crycry

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by LMAyedun(m): 4:27am On Aug 09, 2014
equlibrium: SEUN!!!!! angry
What has Seun done again? undecided

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Nobody: 4:28am On Aug 09, 2014
Pishure or wedonbelivit!!

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by LMAyedun(m): 4:29am On Aug 09, 2014
Yomieluv: A very big small world..with the kind of my attitude,and dreams I always have,something tells me, Dangote is my father..
Wake up Bro!! Its 4:29am. Dreamer! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by LMAyedun(m): 4:31am On Aug 09, 2014
buchisom1: Small world....
Really a Small world.
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Sarimah(f): 4:41am On Aug 09, 2014
They wil find their son d same way they found their daughter smiley

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Bigdreams(m): 4:45am On Aug 09, 2014
It's a miracle.

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Mucokey(m): 4:50am On Aug 09, 2014
I was hoping to take a glance of the supposedly missed girl....
Wey YAM na sad

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by akinladejo: 5:02am On Aug 09, 2014
Yomieluv: A very big small world..with the kind of my attitude,and dreams I always have,something tells me, Dangote is my father..

Ooleeeee oljukokoro!! Dangote ko tegodan ni!

6 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Nobody: 5:12am On Aug 09, 2014
I wonder why they call natural disasters act of God. Ain't this a misnomer?
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Agent8706(m): 5:28am On Aug 09, 2014
Congrates to them, am so happy for them, but 10 years Seperation? shocked Just imagining how the kids will start building a new relationship with their real parent all over again, to think they were too young when mother nature experimented her seperation technique on them. Children will now be feeling like strangers in their own home and to their own parents. May God forbid any of such on us we pray.

4 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Smartjeezy(m): 5:30am On Aug 09, 2014
ole,thie*f,barawo...
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 5:42am On Aug 09, 2014

grin grin grin The earlier you wake up from this dream, the better for you. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by englishmart(m): 5:51am On Aug 09, 2014
Aromas: somebody shout halle luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu God u'r great!!! Allahu Akbar!!! Olorun awon oba!!! Chineke indima!!! Na Gode!!! Keep working with ur miracles. If you believe in God don't scroll down without hitting like on this bcuz today is my birthday
Ubanka there.
Is that why we are here?
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by drkay(m): 5:55am On Aug 09, 2014
Nothing is impossible.
Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Swiftboy(m): 6:14am On Aug 09, 2014
[center][/center][center] THANK GOD OH!

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Omexonomy: 6:17am On Aug 09, 2014
equlibrium: SEUN!!!!! angry
why calling seun i hope he stole nothing from u or is ur gurlfriend pants and bra missing.

3 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Henrypraise: 6:18am On Aug 09, 2014
In oda countries, mothers ar so drawn to dia flesh n blood, foster parents ar willin to help in relievin pains of biological parents, in my country, young mothers ar willing to breed children to be sold 4 dia selfish reasons. BLACK MAN N BLACK MIND

2 Likes

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Pavore9: 6:25am On Aug 09, 2014
So touching.

1 Like

Re: Indonesian Family Finds Daughter Sweptaway In 2004 Tsunami by Genea(f): 6:42am On Aug 09, 2014
Mmmmmmm,stories dat touch

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Megachem MD, Sam Ubachukwu, Buries His Mother In Style In Ichi, Anambra / As A Child, How Did You Think Women Gave Birth? / Why Are Some Single Ladies So Comfortable Dating Married Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.