Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,696 members, 7,862,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:34 AM

Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters (778 Views)

Why Is Virginity So Important In Abrahamic Religion? / Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality? / Difference Between Traditional Paganism And Abrahamic Monotheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by macof(m): 4:49pm On Aug 09, 2014
From my brother Goosebaba from this Thread
t's an individual thing. One has to be
determined to study or understand the
concept of worship and God of their
ancestors. When one has been indoctrinated
into believing that the names of God in their
native tongue is associated with demons.
The missionaries kept what works for them. It
would have been destructive for them to
completely demonize all names. Till today,
Nigerian still use the names of their ancestral
Gods interchangeably with western names of
abrahamic gods.
When someone calls on Olodumare,
Chukwu, Oghene, Osanonbrugwe in prayer
and say through your son we pray.That tells
me they do not know the philosophies or
folklore behind those names. I always ask
when did Chukwu accept his only son for
sacrifice.
When did Ekwensu plot coup against
Chukwu. When did Esu plot coup against
Olodumare..? And they always come back
with God has many names. But they discard
the creationists beliefs behind each name.
Mental slavery is a dirty who.re..!

1 Like

Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by macof(m): 4:55pm On Aug 09, 2014
This is one troubling thing in kid society today.
So much ignorance in our traditions, culture, history and spirituality sad
Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by TheBigUrban2: 5:04pm On Aug 09, 2014
Well said.

A European would never say that Zeus is Yaweh

But a Nigerian will claim that Olodumare is Yaweh

Slaves, we Africans have become

1 Like

Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:41pm On Aug 09, 2014
True.

but thats one good thing the missionaries did. They didnt wipe out the original names of the Creator God since they were using cheap tricks to gain converts.

I have realized that this is useful when Im reverting brainwashed people.
Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by GooseBaba: 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2014
PAGAN9JA:
True.

but thats one good thing the missionaries did. They didnt wipe out the original names of the Creator God since they were using cheap tricks to gain converts.

I have realized that this is useful when Im reverting brainwashed people.

Those cheap tricks has proven to be very dangerous. The evidence is glaring. I don't think they would have succeeded if they did away with the main names of each traditional deity. Sub deities on the other hand were easy target. Just term them demonic. Why should I call on saint Paul, Saint peter when I can call on numerous African deities for guidance.

Another part we should be looking into is economic growth and development from traditionalist.

However, when one is enlightened. He/she sees the big picture without trickery.

2 Likes

Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by macof(m): 8:49am On Aug 13, 2014
GooseBaba:

Those cheap tricks has proven to be very dangerous. The evidence is glaring. I don't think they would have succeeded if they did away with the main names of each traditional deity. Sub deities on the other hand were easy target. Just term them demonic. Why should I call on saint Paul, Saint peter when I can call on numerous African deities for guidance.

Another part we should be looking into is economic growth and development from traditionalist.

However, when one is enlightened. He/she sees the big picture without trickery.

What do u say about those mixing African spiritualities with Christianity, like Santeria where The Orisha are sometimes called Christian saints??
Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by Horus(m): 11:37am On Aug 13, 2014
The African so-called blackness is questionable when they change their original names to European usually Christian names to be accepted by the Caucasians in their land. For the Orientals and Indians do not change their names to satisfy other races. Africans however especially from Africa today change their identity to satisfy the west. For many Africans in Africa are rejecting the public existence of their original lineage. If you do not respect your own lineage then why should anyone respect you ,for you are now adapting to the image of another race. This is a very negative trait taken on by the African in abundance for you are rejecting the names of your own forefathers, language, tribe and race. This is a template example of African suppression and those who challenge this notion are a negative force within our race for they put the ideology of another race ahead of their own.
Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by GooseBaba: 3:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
macof:
What do u say about those mixing African spiritualities with Christianity, like Santeria where The Orisha are sometimes called Christian saints??

The reverse is the case. Christianity is their foundation they added African spirituality. If you notice they never demonize or discard the essence of their religion. They are simply calling on the Orisha in the open, unlike their Nigerian counterparts that play hide and seek.

I find it confusing since their platform promise serious punishment for disobedience. But then again there are those that look, and there are those that see.

Just like that ogboni pastor that proclaims Olodumare as his creator but refers to Jesus as his Personal lord and savior. I don't know what he knows, but I know he knows something that I don't know.. smiley
Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by macof(m): 9:29am On Aug 19, 2014
Horus: The African so-called blackness is questionable when they change their original names to European usually Christian names to be accepted by the Caucasians in their land. For the Orientals and Indians do not change their names to satisfy other races. Africans however especially from Africa today change their identity to satisfy the west. For many Africans in Africa are rejecting the public existence of their original lineage. If you do not respect your own lineage then why should anyone respect you ,for you are now adapting to the image of another race. This is a very negative trait taken on by the African in abundance for you are rejecting the names of your own forefathers, language, tribe and race. This is a template example of African suppression and those who challenge this notion are a negative force within our race for they put the ideology of another race ahead of their own.

Exactly what this thread is talking about. The moment you begin to give other cultures preference over yours then we have a big problem
Re: Using Our Native Names To Refer Abrahamic Characters by macof(m): 9:33am On Aug 19, 2014
GooseBaba:

The reverse is the case. Christianity is their foundation they added African spirituality. If you notice they never demonize or discard the essence of their religion. They are simply calling on the Orisha in the open, unlike their Nigerian counterparts that play hide and seek.

I find it confusing since their platform promise serious punishment for disobedience. But then again there are those that look, and there are those that see.

Just like that ogboni pastor that proclaims Olodumare as his creator but refers to Jesus as his Personal lord and savior. I don't know what he knows, but I know he knows something that I don't know.. smiley

that Ogboni man may or may not be truly Ogboni.
We have so many so called Ogboni in the guise of "Reform ogboni fraternity"
only God knows wat they do there

(1) (Reply)

What Is Church? / Top Nigerian Shut To Be Killed By B.H, Obama To Be Hospitalised- T.B Joshua / On Judging Men Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.