Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative (6233 Views)

Nigerian Hiphop EPs And Mixtapes To Anticipate This Season / What Nigerian Hiphop Albums Are Getting Nominated @ The Hiphopworld Awards 2011? / Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Ifygurl: 5:13am On Oct 19, 2008
CNN decided to do a video about Nigerian hiphop musicians. They ignored all the southern musicians and decided to focus on the North.
It seems the northern hiphop musicians are being attcked by their governors, etc for trying to promote hiphop in that part of Nigeria.

What amazes me is how CNN ignored doing a video about Tuface when his African Queen song went global. They ignored Dbanj when he won Mobo award. They ignored 9ice when he made his Gongo Aso song go (well not global but famous in all of Africa). They ignored all the other Nigerian musician we know that are making waves in Nigeria music industry and Africa(hell they even ignored Eedris( a guy that got into a fight with 50 cent). I mean damn Eedris is from the North.

This is the reason people only see negative stuff about Africa. Their media intentionally tries to show negative stuff. If the Northerners are abusing the musician, then the musicians should come to where they won't be abused; it's not like he needs a visa to travel to the southern part of Nigeria.( We listen to anything as long as a naija musician made it). We even listen to hausa music, if it sounds good we listen to it.
Take Jeremiah Gyang for example. I love all his song even though i can't understand them.

CNN always try to scope out the negative stuff in Africa even if the positive is standing right in their face for so many years.

Here't the link to the video. I tried posting the video but this website won't allow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3aKBpJhQ5o
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by biolabee(m): 5:45am On Oct 19, 2008
i think they r trying to bring out the parallel btw the north and iran,

social revolution being linked to the music being played by the artiste
i dont think its a negative article
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by MCUsman(m): 10:37am On Oct 19, 2008
Ifygurl:

CNN decided to do a video about Nigerian hiphop musicians. They ignored all the southern musicians and decided to focus on the North.

What’s so special about hip hops in the south that demand that CNN must document them? There are more popular musicians from other tiny west Africa countries that have made waves internationally decades before the likes of Dbang , 2face & P2 knew the meaning of piano. As the reporter rightly said, millions of these music’s would be sold throughout West African Countries that on his own makes it worth reporting.

Censorship board exists even in the south and Hollywood. If artist release videos without censorship approval then they should be ready to face the full wrath of the law.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 19, 2008
Honestly, the video appears to be a harmless one and need not stir up emotions! This is about life in Northern Nigeria and I think it gives people an insight to the plight of the Hip-hop musicians struggling to make a living out there undecided

One thing is clear about this story:It is not to showcase the talent of ''Nigerian Hip-Hop Musicians'', it's about the Northerners and their leaders' intolerance and religious extremism.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Ifygurl: 11:01am On Oct 19, 2008
MC Usman:

What’s so special about hip hops in the south that demand that CNN must document them? There are more popular musicians from other tiny west Africa countries that have made waves internationally decades before the likes of Dbang , 2face & P2 knew the meaning of piano. As the reporter rightly said, millions of these music’s would be sold throughout West African Countries that on his own makes it worth reporting.

Censorship board exists even in the south and Hollywood. If artist release videos without censorship approval then they should be ready to face the full wrath of the law.

Okay why do a video of the government mistreating musicians just because they decided to add hip-hop into the traditional music the northerners are listening to.

Did you even watch the video? They weren't trying to censure a little. They wanted to cancel it off just because it's hip-hop.  I know your from the North and you have to defend your side(i understand that but there are some stuff you can't defend). People are losing their jobs just because the government is forcing them to close down. The musicians have to spent 11 or so years in jail for doing hip-hop music.  That's negativity but the right way. Telling us about those Nigerian politician that really needs to get off politics

But Anway

Since i was a child, people always say that the northern part of Nigeria likes doing stuff different from the south that they are real traditional.  and even though i don't stand with the governors i'll still say is that even really worth doing a report on.  That a traditional part of nigeria wants to keep their tradition and they want those that wants to change it to leave. Jermiah Gyang is a musician(but he only sings religious song). And yet most of his song has to be sold in the South(till this day i don't understand that cause it's a religious song but oh well).  Eedris is from the North and he raps judging by what's going on in the North towards rappers. I'm assuming he left because of that or maybe his born in lagos(who knows).  But like i said before, if people wants to keep their tradition and not let anything else come between it; then you don't have to plaste them all over the world just because you want to label a continent as a trouble contient.
Seriously i watched a video from this western news about Calabar women getting fatten up before marriage and the news guys made it look as if those girls were being forced to that.  it's their tradition and they don't want to change it so why flash it all over the world and try to bring negativity to it just like they did with the governors wanting to keep northern music traditional.

Like i said before if they wanted to do a video about hip-hop musician then they should have done it in the south, since hip-hop is allowed their and the governors could careless if it's traditional or not; hell parents could careless also. And i'm not talking about other african countries; i'm talking about Nigeria only. If they wanted to do a really wanted to do a good video about some old internationally naija musician then they should have done it on Fela Kuti(simple as that).  

It negativity and nothing more.  I don't see anything positive about that news report except teaching us that the Northerners punishment can be extremely excessive(i mean 11 years for just doing a music?). But anyway, people aren't allowed to try to keep their tradition the way it is just because the west see it as a bad thing?
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by MCUsman(m): 11:35am On Oct 19, 2008
I really don’t appreciate it when you lie. God dammmit 11 years for what? Adam S. Zango was jailed for 3 months, Ibro another artist was jailed for 4 months all with option of fine of which they all paid.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 19, 2008
Ifygurl:

Okay why do a video of the government mistreating musicians just because they decided to add hip-hop into the traditional music the northerners are listening to.

Did you even watch the video? They weren't trying to censure a little. They wanted to cancel it off just because it's hip-hop.  I know your from the North and you have to defend your side(i understand that but there are some stuff you can't defend). People are losing their jobs just because the government is forcing them to close down. The musicians have to spent 11 or so years in jail for doing hip-hop music.  That's negativity but the right way. Telling us about those Nigerian politician that really needs to get off politics

But Anway

it's their tradition and they don't want to change it so why flash it all over the world and try to bring negativity to it just like they did with the governors wanting to keep northern music traditional.

Like i said before if they wanted to do a video about hip-hop musician then they should have done it in the south, since hip-hop is allowed their and the governors could careless if it's traditional or not; hell parents could careless also. And i'm not talking about other african countries; i'm talking about Nigeria only. If they wanted to do a really wanted to do a good video about some old internationally naija musician then they should have done it on Fela Kuti(simple as that).  

It negativity and nothing more.  I don't see anything positive about that news report except teaching us that the Northerners punishment can be extremely excessive(i mean 11 years for just doing a music?). ?
Are you for, or against the treatment meted out to Northern Hip-Hop musicians in the North? Are you suggesting that you'd rather have Northern Hip-Hop musicians go to jail than have CNN report it since it's ''negative news"?
Are you complaining because CNN covered the story?
I'm not saying CNN(and other international medias) ain't sometimes biased on the coverage of Africa, especially Nigeria;however, I suggest we look at this from a different point of view. The case here is not about Nigerian Hip-Hop music industry, it's about the Northern religious extremists and that's why they didn't feature D'banj, Faze, P square or any other Nigerian Hip-Hop musician from the South.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by ikeyman00(m): 11:40am On Oct 19, 2008
well when this superman try to tell all them fake nigerians out there that just think because they are born over seas, when they go to nigeria, people will be looking at them like they are supposely like supergod, the whole world envy nigeria and u know it

so when u walk in to sign on for your £53 benefit everyweek make sure u remember that, fakerplayer me called u!!

watching 9nice on tv mobo award thing, me like yes my soldiers we there, this is he walk up the stage, pick up his award, oh gwan boy, in a mubbling tone menhhh naija 4 life i thank god, blah blah

so when i see these nigerians political monkies thats spent more time with ashawe over sea than in office, comes here and see how things are, going back they still refuse to replicate what they see here back to nigeria? how stupid can it. All u get from them is crack down on indecnt dress code, ban on illegal driving etc pure bullish

the fact that cnn will attestify to this show these political monkies are sons and daugthers of aldut Hitler
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 19, 2008
MC Usman:

I really don’t appreciate it when you lie. God dammmit 11 years for what? Adam S. Zango was jailed for 3 months, Ibro another artist was jailed for 4 months all with option of fine of which they all paid.
I don't know much about the Northern music and stuff or if there are laid down rules regarding this. If there's a law that guides music production in the North, then these guys should face the music for breaking the rule, otherwise, I think going to jail or being fined for being a hip-hop artiste is not fair.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by MCUsman(m): 11:57am On Oct 19, 2008
Censorship is censorship, you don’t go Israel and sing a song denying the holocaust and expect it to top the chart, your ass would be blown off with a theopedole missile.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BabyJinx: 12:24pm On Oct 19, 2008
candy:

Are you for, or against the treatment meted out to Northern Hip-Hop musicians in the North? Are you suggesting that you'd rather have Northern Hip-Hop musicians go to jail than have CNN report it since it's ''negative news"?
Are you complaining because CNN covered the story?
I'm not saying CNN(and other international medias) ain't sometimes biased on the coverage of Africa, especially Nigeria;however, I suggest we look at this from a different point of view. The case here is not about Nigerian Hip-Hop music industry, it's about the Northern religious extremists and that's why they didn't feature D'banj, Faze, P square or any other Nigerian Hip-Hop musician from the South.

Good question! Very Good question and my answer? Well let's just say. . . Righteous indignation ain't always righteous.

This is the part where we all supposed to go "Ughh! That North sef, they are so uncultured, So rigid, So militant! So Sharia-ish! So unexposed! So. . . whatever else you can think of. Why are they banning music? It's just music. . . duh! How can they jail someone for 11 years for music (We should at least be grateful she didn't say they cut of the person tongue. . . thank God for small mercies, no?)

Anyhoo, I'm sure ya get my drift.

Oh to answer your other question, yeah there are laws that guide music and movie production in the North. These laws seem archaic to some but it is what it is.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by ikeyman00(m): 1:26pm On Oct 19, 2008
no mind Usman

the north willl continue moving backward, so many yeye people, just look at how those northern political monkies are manipulate those fools!!

when u have people like former zamfara sharia goat living like king in london !! oh censorship, these people are the reason some igbo wana go alone

and kiss this, leave, the biggest mistake an hausa will make is the day they call for devolution of nigeria, i swear hausa republic will be worse than somalia. so much stupid,illitrate,sturbon,violent, gworo chewer, suya makers, shoe makers, 419 emirs, political gangers in the name of religion and northern interest, imbeciles, miss world nko, oloshi, bush people, dagger carriers,

however people like idoma and co should be excluded from the above

nonesense

right MC usman i dnt care if u angry, i stand for the most troublesome truth, as exposed as u are, u still cant picture the north is on fire

carry on, just wait and see!!! those northern political monkies woudnt save yall, sooner or later the south will control nigeria for life with these trend!!!

what credit crunch no its northern cruch next

nonesense!!!
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BabyJinx: 1:56pm On Oct 19, 2008
ikeyman00:

no mind Usman

the north willl continue moving backward, so many yeye people, just look at how those northern political monkies are manipulate those fools!!

when u have people like former zamfara sharia goat living like king in london !! oh censorship, these people are the reason some igbo wana go alone

and kiss this, leave, the biggest mistake an hausa will make is the day they call for devolution of nigeria, i swear hausa republic will be worse than somalia. so much stupid,illitrate,sturbon,violent, gworo chewer, suya makers, shoe makers, 419 emirs, political gangers in the name of religion and northern interest, imbeciles, miss world nko, oloshi, bush people, dagger carriers,

however people like idoma and co should be excluded from the above

nonesense

right MC usman i dnt care if u angry, i stand for the most troublesome truth, as exposed as u are, u still can't picture the north is on fire

carry on, just wait and see!!! those northern political monkies woudnt save yall, sooner or later the south will control nigeria for life with these  trend!!!

what credit crunch no its northern cruch next

nonesense!!!

Rotflmao, well about darn time! It only took 10 comments but we got there!!

stupid, illitrate (sic), sturbon (sic), violent -

gworo chewer, suya makers, shoe makers -

political gangers (sic) in the name of religion and northern interest, imbeciles, miss world nko, oloshi, bush people, dagger carriers

Now, this is how I like my tribalism. . . IN YOUR FACE.  grin grin grin

All that subtle, "Oh dear, what do we have here?" *feigned shocked* "Look what I just stumbled upon. . . why I wasn't looking for it or anything but now that's it's here. . . . " business does nothing for me, nothing at all I tells ya!

Be who you are, all you can be, stand tall, stand proud. . . that's what I say.

Thank YOU for bring out the real purpose of the thread.  kiss kiss kiss
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by MCUsman(m): 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Yet we set the precedence and rule your F ***kin asses. You tell me who is the fool & stupid, illitrate. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by milknhoney(f): 2:55pm On Oct 19, 2008
MC Usman:

Yet we set the precedence and rule your F ***kin asses. You tell me who is the fool & stupid, illitrate.
Who is "WE" again? Don't believe you are a politician. If you are going to make a statement, make it in the right context. Otherwise it is utterly pointless and redundant.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by MCUsman(m): 3:17pm On Oct 19, 2008
milknhoney:

Who is "WE" again?

Baby Jinx:

Ask the babay
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by ikeyman00(m): 3:34pm On Oct 19, 2008
MC usman!!! ikeyman00 tribalist hahhhha

we know who they are!! trust me!!

but just to clearify my mind i bet u yoruba babyjinx am right!!

honourable usman i stand for the truth!!!

there is so much sturborness coming from that side, as u can see it makes those one that are soliciting for nigeria break u justified!!

so usmnan its time for emirs to know Nigeria is not owned

right drop another bomb shell

miss world!!! katakata na malam commit am tribalist dubia na moslem original country but they got bar for vistors to drink sensibly!!!!!!! foolsih girl

igbo killing in the north lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

church burning

etc etc tribalist ooooooooooooooooo

yeyey awww
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BabyJinx: 4:20pm On Oct 19, 2008
ikeyman00:

MC usman!!! ikeyman00 tribalist hahhhha

we know who they are!! trust me!!

but just to clearify my mind i bet u yoruba babyjinx am right!!

honourable usman i stand for the truth!!!

there is so much sturborness coming from that side, as u can see it makes those one that are soliciting for nigeria break u justified!!

so usmnan its time for emirs to know Nigeria is not owned

right drop another bomb shell

miss world!!! katakata na malam commit am tribalist dubia na moslem original country but they got bar for vistors to drink sensibly!!!!!!! foolsih girl

igbo killing in the north lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

church burning

etc etc tribalist ooooooooooooooooo

yeyey awww

Right about what my dear brother?

Your ignorance? Then yeah. . . .totally!

Oh Usman after all this time. . .  You still don't get it? Do I gotta explain everytime?
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by ikeyman00(m): 4:35pm On Oct 19, 2008
for 1 nigeria to stand till the test of time there are some issue needed to address, or u think the smoke in the skyline of niger-delta sound tribalist or what?

yes i dnt get it u know!! i live in the reality, dnt like fantacy

if u looking for the most tribalistic member i think its deepzone to be honest, and again if u travel  down to anambra (awka town) u will be amased how hausa brothers are loving it down east

all I'm saying is i stand for the most troublesome truth!!

what am vague like those lots out there

1 love regardless

and usman usman usman u know I'm right, u know it
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by MCUsman(m): 4:39pm On Oct 19, 2008
:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BabyJinx: 5:15pm On Oct 19, 2008
@Ikeyman00
Rotflmao! You make me laugh! You go on a tirade calling Hausa's Violent, illiterate, gwaro chewers, shoemakers and all the other lovely stuff and you are being real? Oh I forgot, that's how it is listed in the encylopedia. . . Hausa AKA Violent, sturbborn, Illiterates. . . . " Yep, it's just taking Wikipedia forever to update their entry (someone needs to set the straight).

You know, I'm actually offended on DeepZone's sake, at least she embraces what she is and does not point fingers on someone else's tribalism. You should take a page out of her book. Now I'm gonna go throw up for and gouge my eyes out because what you just made me do. Thanks a lot, angry
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by ikeyman00(m): 5:25pm On Oct 19, 2008
k love understood!!
1 love
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by deor03(m): 5:30pm On Oct 19, 2008
But for real is is really true that Nigerian like me were sent to prison for making hip hop videos?

It can;t be true
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by ikeyman00(m): 7:08pm On Oct 19, 2008
dnt mind that gal babyjinx

when northern emirs dey chop money;dey no de go prison self

let her keep fooling herself
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BabyJinx: 8:49pm On Oct 19, 2008
Tee hee hee cheesy
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Ifygurl: 7:50am On Oct 20, 2008
I didn't start this forum. Just so people can start insulting the North okay.

And USman, i said 11 years or SO. I WASN'T SURE. I was using what CNN said.

At the girl that asked if i support it.

Hell No i don't support it but the policitians still have the right to keep their tradition. Sometimes they need to wake up and see the world is changing but if they want to keep their side traditional then they are allowed to do that. It ain't like this is the first time they've done that.

And i agree with you, it's really stupid to jail someone for just music but oh well na their tradition dey want to keep.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by JustGood(m): 11:06am On Oct 20, 2008
what's the hoopla about?

Dpnt they have a constitutional right to make laws forbidding certain things?

I'm not saying I support freedom restrictions but why must anything that opposes western ways be criticised? Why is it that the western media has to highlight all the things that dont seem to agree with whatever they love and paint such things negatively?

Why did they not, for instance, compare the situation in the North to that in the South? They chose to focus solely on that which suits them.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by Ifygurl: 10:51pm On Oct 20, 2008
JustGood:

what's the hoopla about?

Dpnt they have a constitutional right to make laws forbidding certain things?

I'm not saying I support freedom restrictions but why must anything that opposes western ways be criticised? Why is it that the western media has to highlight all the things that don't seem to agree with whatever they love and paint such things negatively?

Why did they not, for instance, compare the situation in the North to that in the South? They chose to focus solely on that which suits them.

Thank you. That's exactly what i'm trying to say but you worded it much more better than i did.
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BabyJinx: 11:37pm On Oct 20, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by slimes(m): 2:26pm On May 04, 2009
CNN- constant negative news
Re: Cnn News On Nigerian Hiphop Musicians--they Always Focus On The Negative by BenHundred(m): 5:07am On May 12, 2009
Cnn is doing nothing wrong by showing the state of northern hiphop, get your nerves out of your asses people.

(1) (Reply)

Don Moen / New Music : Iyanya FT. Lil Kesh - Okamfor (DOWNLOAD) / Download Gospel Music: Micah Stampley - Glory To The Lamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.