Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,161 members, 7,818,533 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans (865 Views)

Oduah Loses Bid To Stop Bulletproof Cars Probe / APC Fails In Bid To Change House Leadership / US Senator Insults Nigeria In A bid To Mock Obama. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans by splashbaby(m): 5:36pm On Aug 10, 2014
THE ZMAPP WONDER DRUG THAT WILL GENETICALLY MODIFY AFRICANS.

The devastating effects of the Ebola scare in Nigeria was beyond imagination as rumour monger took to their pastime spreading chronic lies to many gullible death-frightened Nigerians with concocted remedies that started with heavy dose of Kola nut eating to drinking heavily salted water in preparation for the Ebola attack.

This left many at the throes of death before the arrival of Ebola. I wonder what will happen to tobacco smoking if some folks out their knew that tobacco plant played a major role in the production of zmapp.

The main wahala is not Ebola itself but the wonder drug Zmapp. A genetic modifier that is capable of altering recipients DNA forever, which will be transferred to offsprings.

This drug will allow the Americans to change the configuration of Africans. With African Leaders begging for this experimental drugs, we are busy signing our own death warrants.

Having evaluated how this drug was produced, as a scientist I will call for caution for its usage for now.

Below are my findings, with help from a friend, a medical rep. I will simplify my findings with limited scientific jargons.

Zmapp: It is composed of three humanized monoclonal antibodies that are produced transgenically and grown in large quantity in tobacco plant.

Breaking it down:
Antibodies are produced by white blood cells, a proteins/body soldiers that fight diseases and foreign objects in the body by identifying antigens of such diseases, attach it self to it and destroy them.

Antibodies are disease specific, i.e. different diseases have their own kind. If they are unable to attach to a specific disease antigen they cannot fight it hence the case with Ebola causing death, some people however produces the right antibodies to fight it, that is why some people can survive the Ebola attack.

You may wonder why blood transfusion from people who survived the attack not considered as a first treatment option as against Zmapp, since they have the right antibodies to combat the disease...I wonder too.

We learnt that Dr Kent Brantly the first American to be treated with Zmapp got a blood transfusion from a 10yrs old boy that survived the Ebola attack in Liberia before taking the experimental drug.
Antibodies are crucial to the treatment of diseases but the sad news is that identical antibodies specific to a given antigen/disease cannot be reproduced. Hope you are not lost yet.

So monoclonal antibodies a controversial fusing of human and mouse hybrid cells tagged magic bullet method was developed to be able to produce specific antibodies to combat the Ebola antigen. They did not stop at that they transgenically grow the somatic cells using tobacco plant.

This is where the problem arises, transgenisis do not only change the somatic but all the germs cells of the organisms they reproduces as the transgene are passed down to offspring. The transgene then alter the genome by blocking the function of the host gene with one that codes for a different protein or introduce an additional gene...Terrible you would agree, one can never tell how this will turn out. The DNA could be altered in a manner that we forever affect recipient and their offspring...if they are not sterilized in the first place.
Re: EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2014
Hmmmm this is a matter of National security. Our military medical scientist should be involve in verifying the vaccine before use
Re: EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans by lwise(m): 8:07pm On Aug 10, 2014
We still got a long way to go. embarassed
Make we no go dey born pikin whey b like mouse
Re: EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans by AlJarzirah: 8:45pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: EBOLA And Zmapp, A Bid To Genetically Modify Africans by splashbaby(m): 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2014
Nigerians don't read...too lazy of you. No evidence you went through this article and the links you provided. Zmapp is a genetically engineered 'drug' for treating Ebola that must not be tried on Africans until the safety is ascertained and I just gave a layman break down of its operation that's getting you confused.
AlJarzirah: Smh...lies. Take a look at this

http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/08/ebola-outbreak-has-proven-why-africa-will-likely-continue-be-underdeveloped-chinedu

(1) (Reply)

Plane Crash In Brazil Kills Brazilian Presidential Candidate / Ebola: Dennis Akagha Battles Social Stigma. / Sacrifice Our Girls,but Destroy Boko Haram •chibok Girls’ Parents Tell FG.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.