Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Learn The Gre Word List - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Learn The Gre Word List (10283 Views)

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. / Where Are The Gre Gurus In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 10:20am On Sep 04, 2014
ridimic1:
ingenuous ; innocent and naive

Thank you for this .

I was just going through the words on this thread in my office this morning and i was shocked when i saw that. I ASSUMED YOU WERE WRONG COS I FELT YOU MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE WORD AND ITS MEANING.

This is what i know before now :

Ingenious : clever,cunning,adroit.

I had to look up my mobile dictionary to see if the word does exist and its meaning different and YES, IT DIFFERS !!

Ingenuous : innocent,naive,naif,artless

In a way, i 'ld take them as word and antonym cos Ingenious could mean cunning,artful and skilful with Ingenuous meaning the opposite.

Thank you for bringing my attention to this !!

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 10:34am On Sep 04, 2014
MORE WORDS .....

VAGRANT
VAGABOND
DRIFTER : they all mean the same thing ; [i]AIMLESS ,UNSETTLED,CONTINUALLY CHANGING ESPECIALLY AS

FLOATER FROM ONE ABODE /OCCUPATION TO ANOTHER .
BUM

one last word for us all to ponder on for the day-

Dicker[i]:- to bargain ;to argue over prices. ~~ Mnemonic : I'm sure you dont expect me to give in to that ridiculous price of rice without dickering, do you ?[/i]

[color=#550000]Do have a pleasant day fellows !!
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
Aiit tolu...I also saw the difference and I should have noted the difference here. Thanks for your observation.
Anyone who is having difficulty in the verbal especially the vocab should check out "magoosh" o shocked
That book made me know my preparation style has been BS. Please, endeavor to do this.
tolutweety:

Thank you for this .

I was just going through the words on this thread in my office this morning and i was shocked when i saw that. I ASSUMED YOU WERE WRONG COS I FELT YOU MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE WORD AND ITS MEANING.

This is what i know before now :

Ingenious : clever,cunning,adroit.

I had to look up my mobile dictionary to see if the word does exist and its meaning different and YES, IT DIFFERS !!

Ingenuous : innocent,naive,naif,artless

In a way, i 'ld take them as word and antonym cos Ingenious could mean cunning,artful and skilful with Ingenuous meaning the opposite.

Thank you for bringing my attention to this !!
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2014
sirRiddy: Aiit tolu...I also saw the difference and I should have noted the difference here. Thanks for your observation.
Anyone who is having difficulty in the verbal especially the vocab should check out "magoosh" o shocked
That book made me know my preparation style has been BS. Please, endeavor to do this.

Gimme link to the book.

Soft or hard... Which do u have?
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 05, 2014
type magoosh gre ebook.pdf in the google textbox....download the first two ebooks in the query results. Have you paid for your exam? I just want to pick a date next week. I am having issues with the gtb mastercard and plan going to sort it out in the bank on monday.
tolutweety:

Gimme link to the book.

Soft or hard... Which do u have?
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 10:43pm On Sep 05, 2014
sirRiddy: type magoosh gre ebook.pdf in the google textbox....download the first two ebooks in the query results. Have you paid for your exam? I just want to pick a date next week. I am having issues with the gtb mastercard and plan going to sort it out in the bank on monday.
Nt paid yet o.ll pay on the 25th of ds mnth.
Still busy searchin and applyin to schls,preparing for the gre...

Nt funny o brother. Bn trying to get direct relatnship with profs over there to work with but it hasn't bn easy o.

I ll download the ebooks on mnday wen I get to work.

Thanks alot.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 05, 2014
Na so o. I have got just two schools that are aligned with my interests after over two months of intensifying search. I just checked your profile and saw that you have an electrical engineeringbackground. Maybe you might like a program I came across(telecomms-based). In Uni of Maryland College park. I heard the program is quite auspicious. I have been searching for computer science/IT/software project management programs and finding profs in that area for MSc is rare. Maybe we could chat on facebook if you are ok with that.

tolutweety:
Nt paid yet o.ll pay on the 25th of ds mnth.
Still busy searchin and applyin to schls,preparing for the gre...

Nt funny o brother. Bn trying to get direct relatnship with profs over there to work with but it hasn't bn easy o.

I ll download the ebooks on mnday wen I get to work.

Thanks alot.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by ridimic1: 11:19pm On Sep 05, 2014
villify; to spoil d good name of someone
eminent; standing above others in quality and positions
herectic; somone who holds unorthodox beleifs on something
obscure; to make unclear....also means known by only few
venerate ; to respect deeply
largess; extreme generosity and giving

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by tolutweety(m): 11:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
sirRiddy: Na so o. I have got just two schools that are aligned with my interests after over two months of intensifying search. I just checked your profile and saw that you have an electrical engineeringbackground. Maybe you might like a program I came across(telecomms-based). In Uni of Maryland College park. I heard the program is quite auspicious. I have been searching for computer science/IT/software project management programs and finding profs in that area for MSc is rare. Maybe we could chat on facebook if you are ok with that.

Not too active on fb.whatsapp and bbm might do.I ll pm you.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by electronic(m): 2:03am On Sep 06, 2014
Curmudgeon: Its a gauchy, surly person, one who is always sulking as they grumble as they grumble about something or another.

Martinet: Is a strict disciplinarian.

Misanthrope: A hater of Mankind.

Reprobate: it comes from the GRE word reprove which means to express disapproval.

Virago: It describes an ill-tempered and sometimes violent woman.

Syncretic: Its an amalgam of different schools of thought.

Parochial: To be parochial is to be narrow minded.

Anathema: It's a formal curse by the Pope used against a person.

Desecrate: To violate or destroy any sacred place.

POLITICAL RELATED WORDS

Lascivious: similar to lecherous,prurinet, and libidinous they all refer to perversion

Malfeasance: Is wrongdoing, usually by a public official.

Prevaricate: To try to wiggle your way out of a pointed question.

Turpitude: It refers to acts deemed to be downright wicked and immoral.

MONEY WORDS

Sybarite: A person who indulges in luxury.

Parsimonious: To be extrememly frugal,stingy or miserly!

Impecunious: It means not having any money.

Insolvent: To be bankrupt and unable to pay your bills.

Profilgate: The word means spending recklessly almost to the point of immorality.

Avarice: It means to be greedy!.

Cupidity: It means greed for money.

Defray: Is to help pay the cost.

Pittance: A small amount of money.

Mulct: To swindle or defraud someone.

2 Likes

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
I used quizlet.com today and it seemed nice. Please try it out guys for learning vocabulary faster.

http://quizlet.com/

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by STENON(f): 2:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
Thanks....I am interested....Planning to write GRE by nxt year June....
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 10:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
Good job guys, pls does anyone know where I can download good and free dictionary on BB phone. Pls I need it to aid my learning here
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 20, 2014
Travesty...mockery or charade

predilection...liking==========================Politics campaigners would have a predilection for election period because they get richer during this epoch
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 1:08am On Sep 24, 2014
shakol91: Good job guys, pls does anyone know where I can download good and free dictionary on BB phone. Pls I need it to aid my learning here
@ sirRiddy and others please help me out
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 1:18am On Sep 24, 2014
Bro, I do not use a blackberry. Na nokia palasa I dey use cheesy
Electronic and ohter bb users here should be able to proffer an expedient solution, i guess.
How preparation now?
shakol91: @ sirRiddy and others please help me out
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 8:58pm On Sep 24, 2014
sirRiddy: Bro, I do not use a blackberry. Na nokia palasa I dey use cheesy
Electronic and ohter bb users here should be able to proffer an expedient solution, i guess.
How preparation now?
Boss I can't lie oo,preparation is very slow due to money factor,I think I will have to postpone it.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 24, 2014
eeyah... embarassed sorry about that. Wetin dey my mind nw na where to see 50k due transcript evaluation. You are not alone. Just plan well and take your time. God will see us through.
shakol91: Boss I can't lie oo,preparation is very slow due to money factor,I think I will have to postpone it.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by shakol91(m): 9:52am On Sep 26, 2014
sirRiddy: eeyah... embarassed sorry about that. Wetin dey my mind nw na where to see 50k due transcript evaluation. You are not alone. Just plan well and take your time. God will see us through.
thanks bro
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by SF9ja: 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2014
This article gives you pointers on how to prepare better for the GRE verbal.

http://scholarfare.com/blog/2014/09/improve-your-score-on-the-verbal-section-of-the-gre/
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by SegunMike(m): 10:33am On Oct 21, 2014
Waow!! Nice Job here, seems I've got more words to add to my List smiley

Let me drop few too:

*Xenophobia - strong fear/dislike for people from other countries (Prejudice)
*Opprobrium,Obloquy,Ignominy - Disgrace, Dishonor
*Obduracy,Obstinacy - Stubbornness, Intransigence
*Malinger - Feign Illness (esp to evade work)..... just like what you do to excuse work to go for an Interview or Test grin
*Iconoclastic - Attack Established Ideas
*Obstreperous,Raucous - Noisy, impolite....sometimes in the context of stubbornness
*Febrile - Nervously Excited
*Fatuous, Asinine - Foolish, Brainless
*Perfidious, Treacherous - Disloyal
*Precarious,Noxious - Insecure, dangerous, risky
*Servile - Complaisant,eager to please.......Grovel (in some context)

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by cube2nerdy: 11:32am On Jul 26, 2015
This thread seems so utopian! Can't believe it has abruptly become antediluvian.

I'm game. Who's with me

2 Likes

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by mikky4all(m): 12:47am On Jan 10, 2016
cube2nerdy:
This thread seems so utopian! Can't believe it has abruptly become antediluvian.

I'm game. Who's with me
I am in

1 Like

Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Sugahylz(f): 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2016
Me toooooo
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 22, 2016
pls i need Gre materials pls
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by daseento(m): 1:38pm On May 17, 2017
Let's revive this thread. I'm in.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by FiveNaira: 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2017
LOL.... And the next "I'm in" is probably coming up next year
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by EzekielMab(m): 12:36pm On Oct 14, 2017
I'm in
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by Dancingpotato(f): 12:06pm On Nov 14, 2017
acrimony-think of ppl crying or screaming on each others head.
meaning: bitter ill against someone.
synonym: fued

upbraid- when woman wan fight they pack their hair braid upwardly.
meaning: to scold someone.
synonym: chastise

impertinent: you are not interested in something and you become rude towards it.
meaning: lack of respect.
synonym: gall

ambivalent
meaning: you have mixed feeling about something.
Re: Learn The Gre Word List by privatetisa(m): 6:51am On Dec 18, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sweet Sixteen By Bolaji Abdullahi – Jamb Recommended / 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas / Ignorance Or Laziness: Which Is Worse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.