Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,258 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? (2568 Views)

Memoirs Of A Lady Too Ambitious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Dyslexicgirl: 1:37pm On Aug 11, 2014
MarvellousGod: Hmmmm...alot of disorders really do exist... embarassed embarassed

Please what causes a child to be dyslexic or autistic? Because I can't figure out why God will create someone with a kinda disorder undecided undecided

Maybe some drugs taken by mothers during pregnancy? undecided undecided

The exact cause of dyslexia is unknown, however, it has been linked as a disability with underlying genetics, developmental, and neurological causes (Hayes, 2006) *Dyslexia in children*.

I am yet to come across any research that suggests the use as drugs may predispose the foetus to dyslexia. It is a learning disability, that can be managed appropriately, it is not a disorder smiley do not worry! it is well!

2 Likes

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 11, 2014
MarvellousGod: Hmmmm...alot of disorders really do exist... embarassed embarassed

Please what causes a child to be dyslexic or autistic? Because I can't figure out why God will create someone with a kinda disorder undecided undecided

Maybe some drugs taken by mothers during pregnancy? undecided undecided

Sorry who created kids with challenges?? Satan?..?

1 Like

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 11, 2014
Dyslexicgirl:

The exact cause of dyslexia is unknown, however, it has been linked as a disability with underlying genetics, developmental, and neurological causes (Hayes, 2006) *Dyslexia in children*.

I am yet to come across any research that suggests the use as drugs may predispose the foetus to dyslexia. It is a learning disability, that can be managed appropriately, it is not a disorder smiley do not worry! it is well!
Thanks alot. .will still do more research on that...didn't say drugs can cause it...was actually wondering what the causes could be so that one can avoid them..
I wish you a wonderful life dear

1 Like

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by PassingShot(m): 2:55pm On Aug 11, 2014
Nice blog you've got. Keep it up!

1 Like

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by baby124: 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
It's good to see that you are overcoming the challenges. Care to tell us about your biggest struggle and how daily you try to succeed in Uni. Does your Uni provide any special accommodation for you?
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
aisha2:

Sorry who created kids with challenges?? Satan?..?
tell me you don't understand what I mean by that statement ?? undecided undecided Stop the senseless interpretation please! !!

If actually you don't, then what I was saying is that the causes of the disability may be from the mother carrying the foetus hence genetical or something and not necessarily natural undecided(was only assuming though) and my post was kinda of a question too..

If you have anything to counter my post, then do because my assumption may be wrong instead of making some immature interpretations. .we're all here to learn. ..again, didn't you see the emoticons beside my post? ?
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
MarvellousGod: tell me you don't understand what I mean by that statement ?? undecided undecided Stop the senseless interpretation please! !!
If actually you don't, then what I was saying is that the causes of the disability may be from the mother carrying the foetus hence genetical or something and not necessarily natural undecided(was only assuming though) and my post was kinda of a question too..
If you have anything to counter my post, then do because my assumption may be wrong instead of making some immature interpretations. .we're all here to learn. ..again, didn't you see the emoticons beside my post? ?

I was also asking a question oh. Thank You for answering, I am asking CLEARLY so someone reading can get your clear meaning and not start flogging "demons" out of an autistic child under the belief that God did not create that child.

You and I may know, so its better we give clear definations to our statements so we leave no room for misinterpretation and a child somewhere suffers for it.

That was my reason for asking not to get you upset

1 Like

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Dyslexicgirl: 3:11pm On Aug 11, 2014
PassingShot: Nice blog you've got. Keep it up!

Thank you smiley
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Dyslexicgirl: 3:15pm On Aug 11, 2014
baby124: It's good to see that you are overcoming the challenges. Care to tell us about your biggest struggle and how daily you try to succeed in Uni. Does your Uni provide any special accommodation for you?

Yes they do:
1. One to one tuition with an adviser to plan essays in advance before submission
2. Some softwares such as read and write etc to help with spelling (I do not find them very useful, they are time consuming, however it is good to know it is available if i do need it.)

As I am studying a practical as well as a theoretical course, It is extremely difficult to get support in an hospital setting. This is were my dyslexia & dyspraxia kicks my ass...I have tried kicking them back. I am yet to know exactly what works for me...all trial and error right now.
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by baby124: 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2014
Dyslexicgirl:

Yes they do:
1. One to one tuition with an adviser to plan essays in advance before submission
2. Some softwares such as read and write etc to help with spelling (I do not find them very useful, they are time consuming, however it is good to know it is available if i do need it.)

As I am studying a practical as well as a theoretical course, It is extremely difficult to get support in an hospital setting. This is were my dyslexia & dyspraxia kicks my ass...I have tried kicking them back. I am yet to know exactly what works for me...all trial and error right now.
Wow, very interesting information. I did not know such resources existed. Now, do they put you on any medication to help you? Will you recommend more practical professions for people with dyslexia than theoretical. Say skill type of work vs office work.
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Dyslexicgirl: 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
baby124:
Wow, very interesting information. I did not know such resources existed. Now, do they put you on any medication to help you? Will you recommend more practical professions for people with dyslexia than theoretical. Say skill type of work vs office work.

Medications will not help dyslexia, even though I get stress headaches in confrontational situations in hospitals, I will answer these questions on my blog, so other people following it can benefit from it. You should follow it if you want. If you are working in an office, and your company is supportive, they will make available, resources that will help you transition into your work effectively. I know nurses get support (I am not a nurse). However, this is dependent on the country you are living in and their awareness of dyslexia and other learning disabilities.
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
aisha2:

I was also asking a question oh. Thank You for answering, I am asking CLEARLY so someone reading can get your clear meaning and not start flogging "demons" out of an autistic child under the belief that God did not create that child.

You and I may know, so its better we give clear definations to our statements so we leave no room for misinterpretation and a child somewhere suffers for it.

That was my reason for asking not to get you upset
My post was quite clear and whoever wanted to understand would hv....the op understood hence answered my question...some nairalanders are always quick to misinterpret and lash out on a person. ..anyway, it's alright since you're cool now...
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 11, 2014
MarvellousGod: My post was quite clear and whoever wanted to understand would hv....the op understood hence answered my question...some nairalanders are always quick to misinterpret and lash out on a person. ..anyway, it's alright since you're cool now...

This is me and you not "Nairalanders". This is an informative thread, and people can misinterprete what is not clear hence my question so you could clarify. I could have gone on to answer it myself but left it so you could do so clearly, and you have. Thank You. Like I said it was so nobody would one day say "Marvelousgod said autistic and dyslexic kids couldnt have beencreated by God"
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by pasqal09: 8:08pm On Aug 11, 2014
purplesummer:
cheesy cheesy Yes, I thought she could be a demigod

Lol, maybe a daughter of hades
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by purplesummer(f): 8:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
pasqal09:

Lol, maybe a daughter of hades
I prefer Poseidon. Percy deserves a sister cheesy
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by pasqal09: 8:14pm On Aug 11, 2014
purplesummer:
I prefer Poseidon. Percy deserves a sister cheesy

Lol, Poseidon had a cool daughter who helped Percy. She wasn't bad.
I didn't know you where a fan
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by purplesummer(f): 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
pasqal09:

Lol, Poseidon had a cool daughter who helped Percy. She wasn't bad.
I didn't know you where a fan
Percy had a sister? Never knew...and Yes, i'm a big fan
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by pasqal09: 8:27pm On Aug 11, 2014
purplesummer:
Percy had a sister? Never knew...and Yes, i'm a big fan
Sorry, I meant to say Hades.
Haven't you read the book?
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by purplesummer(f): 8:34pm On Aug 11, 2014
pasqal09:
Sorry, I meant to say Hades.
Haven't you read the book?
I have. Hades had Nico and Bianca DiAngelo. Bianca died and Nico raised Hazel (who is also a child of Hades) from the dead. Hazel helped Percy really well.
Lol. Aren't we derailing the thread?
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by pasqal09: 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
purplesummer:
I have. Hades had Nico and Bianca DiAngelo. Bianca died and Nico raised Hazel (who is also a child of Hades) from the dead. Hazel helped Percy really well.
Lol. Aren't we derailing the thread?
I guess we are. But I'm glad I met another percy jackson fan
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by purplesummer(f): 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2014
pasqal09:
I guess we are. But I'm glad I met another percy jackson fan
smiley The feeling is mutual
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by pasqal09: 8:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
purplesummer:
smiley The feeling is mutual
Waiting for the last book, its supposed to be out this month
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by purplesummer(f): 8:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
pasqal09:
Waiting for the last book, its supposed to be out this month
I see. Can't wait cool
Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by soulglo: 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
In Nigeria you are either stupid or smart. The worst abuse you will get over having a learning disability even comes from those entrusted with teaching you and family. I'm glad you got help. I can't tell you the number of people I knew in Nigeria who were regularly called dunce who have thriving careers in the US. Nobody is stupid. We all just have different approach to learning and a good teacher knows this

2 Likes

Re: Memoirs Of A Dyslexic Nigerian: Do You Have Dyslexia?? by Dyslexicgirl: 11:39pm On Aug 11, 2014
soulglo: In Nigeria you are either stupid or smart. The worst abuse you will get over having a learning disability even comes from those entrusted with teaching you and family. I'm glad you got help. I can't tell you the number of people I knew in Nigeria who were regularly called dunce who have thriving careers in the US. Nobody is stupid. We all just have different approach to learning and a good teacher knows this

I couldn't have said it any better !

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abali Weds / How Can I Overcome Stage Fright / Am I Safe With My Decision

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.