Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama (3246 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / I Pray That Nigeria Come To See An Incredible And Dedicated Leader Like C Powell / Colin Powell Danced To Yahozee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by away4real(m): 2:57pm On Oct 19, 2008
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD3E-m01Q34&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Retired General Colin L. Powell, one of the country's most respected Republicans, stunned both parties on Sunday by strongly endorsing Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for president on NBC's "Meet the Press" and laying out a blistering, detailed critique of the modern GOP.

"I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said. "He is a new generation coming ,  onto the world stage and on the American stage. And for that reason, I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/19/colin.powell/index.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14714.html
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by away4real(m): 3:09pm On Oct 19, 2008
Please i urge you all to read the reasons Colin Powell gave for supporting Barack Obama, again another positive association that Obama can draw on, we can at least suggest he will be palling around with Colin Powell, unlike those that feel its only radical associations Obama has.

I find it hard if not unimaginable the smears, diversion and all sorts of nonsense out there. Even some intelligent people have been unable to distinguish the issues, it is indeed sad and disapointing.

Please what are your views on this endorsement, do you think it will help Obama's candidacy or not? I think it would, it matters and is important that even a republican thinks Obama will make a better president. Whats the next line of argument so we can go ahead and discredit it. This is a major plus, the game is not yet over but the signs are looking good.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by dayokanu(m): 5:57pm On Oct 19, 2008
It boost Barack foreign policy credentials cos he has backers who are sound in foreign policy.

I am not comfortable with the fact the Powell is Black it might raise Racial eyebrows
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 7:05pm On Oct 19, 2008
dayokanu:

It boost Barack foreign policy credentials because he has backers who are sound in foreign policy.

I am not comfortable with the fact the Powell is Black it might raise Racial eyebrows

A non-issue, Powell is assuredly Republican!

Were you "not comfortable" when Joe Lieberman (White and not Republican) endorsed McCain?
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 7:10pm On Oct 19, 2008
away4real:

Please i urge you all to read the reasons Colin Powell gave for supporting Barack Obama, again another positive association that Obama can draw on, we can at least suggest he will be palling around with Colin Powell, unlike those that feel its only radical associations Obama has.

I find it hard if not unimaginable the smears, diversion and all sorts of nonsense out there. Even some intelligent people have been unable to distinguish the issues, it is indeed sad and disapointing.

Please what are your views on this endorsement, do you think it will help Obama's candidacy or not? I think it would, it matters and is important that even a republican thinks Obama will make a better president. Whats the next line of argument so we can go ahead and discredit it. This is a major plus, the game is not yet over but the signs are looking good.

Nice post. I've said it and I'll say it again, of course with no apology:

No thinking mortal would support the John McCain ticket!!!

http://www.republicansforobama.org/ - a website dedicated to all the Republicans that have started thinking.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 7:14pm On Oct 19, 2008
plus_Queen:
My dear na wa.
I am actually Republican and ultra conservative.
I rooted for Huckabee initially till it was clear he had no chance.
But this time,I'm solidly behind Obama for many reasons even though he'll be taxing me and my oga more.
McCains health care plan is laughable at best.
It is doomed to fail from the very beginning.
His demeanour through out this race has been less than presidential.
Moreover the introduction of Sarah "Airhead" Palin solidly had me on the democratic side.
This McCain is a far cry from the McCain of 2000
Financially,I and my family will benefit more from McCains tax proposals but there's too many other things at risk on the McPalin camp and with this election in general and I'm glad to be a Democrat even if for one day Nov. 4th.

More Republicans need to read this!
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by DavidDylan(m): 2:46am On Oct 20, 2008
The man not only endorsed Obama, he critically picked apart McCain's campaign in less than 3 minutes.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by KarmaMod(f): 3:48am On Oct 20, 2008
Were you "not comfortable" when Joe Lieberman (White and not Republican) endorsed McCain? 

Liberman has always been a flipflopper
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by plusQueen: 4:04am On Oct 20, 2008
Joe Liberman is an idiot
He must be the main reson why God allowed Bush to win Gore
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by adconline(m): 4:45am On Oct 20, 2008
Maybe Collin Powell should have endorsed  Allen Keyes,a black man and a Harvard Ph.D with a fortified foreign exprience.
He should have endorsed  Jesse Jackson even when Correta Scott King  had endorsed Walter Modale over him
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by savanaha: 5:09am On Oct 20, 2008
adconline:

Maybe Collin Powell should have endorsed  Allen Keyes,a black man and a Harvard Ph.D with a fortified foreign exprience.
He should have endorsed  [b]Jesse Jackson [/b]even when Correta Scott King  had endorsed Walter Modale over him

Who in their right mind would endore Jesse Jackson. He is a hot mess and he knows it!!! Next we might even endorse O.J Simpson.

I watched the Meet The Press interview and the man gets an A+++ for articulating. He sure did pick McCain apart, he did such an amazing autopsy of the McCain campaign (because it is dead). After thoroughly performing the postmortem autopsy of each aspect of the McCan't and Palmwined campaign he would reiterate that he is going to vote Obama. Haha

Anyways. . . where is Kobojunkie the fervent supporter of anything idiotic to lament on why Powell has lost his mind for supporting Obama?
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by adconline(m): 5:12am On Oct 20, 2008
for someone insinuating that race might have been a factor!
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by dayokanu(m): 5:39am On Oct 20, 2008
Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama for president

At the same time, Powell is a black man and Obama would be the nation's first black president — a goal Powell considered pursuing for himself in 1996, before deciding not to run. Powell said he was cognizant of the racial aspect of his endorsement, but said that was not the dominant factor in his decision

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081020/ap_on_el_pr/powell

I would be more comfortable with a Henry Kissinger James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger or Alexander Haig endorsement.

This might spark some racial sentiments among whites that most notable black guys are endorsing Barack Obama so its a race thing.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by savanaha: 5:51am On Oct 20, 2008
Collin Powell's endorsment for Obama is too well articulated to be just because Obama is (mixed) "black." Even if it was because of Obama's color it was still articulate. If all McPLain's supporters were that articulate then maybe it would not end up with "he's black, baby killer, blah blah blah.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by away4real(m): 7:21am On Oct 20, 2008
dayokanu:

Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama for president

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081020/ap_on_el_pr/powell

I would be more comfortable with a Henry Kissinger James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger or Alexander Haig endorsement.

This might spark some racial sentiments among whites that most notable black guys are endorsing Barack Obama so its a race thing.

@ dayo that statement you made is a bit musguided. Why because Henry Kessinger is more of a secretary of state or what? Perhaps Colin Powel was not chairman Joint chief of staff or he wasnt a secretary of state. Colin in my opinion brings in more becos he was Chairman Joint chief of staff, a General and one of the most accomplished soldiers in America. Henry Kessesinger on the other hand doesnt possess that broad experience.

I am more comfortable with a man that looks at a friend of more than 25 years in the face and tells him he is towing the wrong line (becos he supports divisive tactics, using fear and smear suggesting another is palin around with terrorist) than a man that says something on CNN then when he is quoted takes a 360 degree turn around in order to help a friend, my respect for Henry Kessinger took a nose dive, the man didnt show strong character at dat time.

I am so so tired tired of the insinuation that becos am black or anyone black is supporting Obama just becos he is black alone. It is insulting to my intelligence to suggest i will support anything black for the sake of supporting sake. Barack Obama is intelligent amongst other things, Colin Powell couldnt be more accurate when he says he displays intellectual curiosity, that is the basic difference McCain gives the image of one that acts without thinking one that is unstable, Palin i dont want to go there.

Colin Powell articulated his reasons so clearly that even Sarah Palin will understand it easily. And even the insinuation that Colin Powel is endorsing Obama becos he is black is insulting to the man.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by McKren(m): 2:02pm On Oct 20, 2008
Joe Liberman is no Colin Powell

Joe Liberman is an opportunist who dandles with the wind. He exploited Obama's oratory for his Senate re-election campaign when he saw the young Illinois Senator draws crowds. Then leaned Republican because he thought the Republican party has a history of winning Presidential elections and thus he could exploit his friendship with John McCain.

This is what you do when all you do is base you actions on calculations and no convictions.

I hope Joe Liberman fails this time. He is already failing as his hopes of being chosen as VP by John McCain has been dashed.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by oldie(m): 2:24pm On Oct 20, 2008
Initially, blacks were not allowed to vote
Then,
Blacks could vote but cannot be voted for
It then progressed to blacks could only hold some political positions!
Fortunately, the world has moved on (I hope) to who is the best person for the post?

Same should apply here, in Nigeria
We should always use our best eleven

Obama is the better choice!
And that is Colin Powell's position and the more rational one
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by SeanT21(f): 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2008
I saw the interview on MEET THE PRESS.I thought it was astounding.

Bleep Being A Republican or a Democrat. VOTE FOR THE BETTER CANADATE.THAT IS WHAT COLIN DID!!!
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by KarmaMod(f): 8:28pm On Oct 20, 2008
Now they are try6ing to say he's only doing it cos of race. These people are funny.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 9:29pm On Oct 20, 2008
KarmaMod:

Now they are try6ing to say he's only doing it because of race. These people are funny.

Don't mind that twisted reasoning. So, he should not endorse Obama for fear that some racists Whites will interpret it as racial bias? Those kind of ignorant Whites have never supported and will never support Obama, so what difference does it make?
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 10:07pm On Oct 20, 2008
I like the Powell demolished that ugly sentiment the RRR (Religious Right of the Republican party) have of Muslims.

Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, a Muslim, died fighting for his county America. Powell highlighted the ugliness with which the RRR demonize Muslims and questioned the motives of the McCain campaign on this issue. Shame on McCain!!!

They did the same to blacks after WWII. Many served their nation with valor but came home to die by the noose of the lynch man. Today, American Muslims are targeted, ridiculed and psychologically lynched. If lynching blacks was evil, then we all must condemn the ongoing lynching of Arab-Americans (the person's faith is irrelevant; only looks and accent will do him/her in), Muslim-Americans (especially those of middle-eastern and Indian descent) and Persian-Americans. It truly seems that the RRR is today's KKK!
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by agaba123(m): 10:21pm On Oct 20, 2008
Ok then let only white voters vote for him so that it will not spark racial what-I-don't-know.
Most of the time we marginalise ourselves while blaming the whites. Racism my foot
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by dayokanu(m): 10:33pm On Oct 20, 2008
If Powell himself is conscious of the racial implication of his endorsement Then we in Nairaland feel it does not exist.

Every notable Black man that has come out to speak supports Barack Obama that means all Black see things the same way.

I still insist I would rather Powell just sit on the fence!!!!!
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 10:43pm On Oct 20, 2008
dayokanu:

If Powell himself is conscious of the racial implication of his endorsement Then we in Nairaland feel it does not exist.

Every notable Black man that has come out to speak supports Barack Obama that means all Black see things the same way.

@dayokanu,

I understand the core of your argument and I know some "I'm a bit racist" Whites may see Powell's endorsement as purely racial.

However, I have one question for you: Can you give a scenario (any scenario will do) under which Powell can endorse Obama without it being interpreted by some as purely based on racial favoritism?

Thank you.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by agaba123(m): 11:03pm On Oct 20, 2008
Because it will be seen as racism he would not express his opinion.
what will you call that?
Bondage. The white man can support whoever he likes but the black man cannot because he is black.

Self imprisonment. who cares what they think. That means they are still controlling your behaviour. get liberated man.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by McKren(m): 11:06pm On Oct 20, 2008
you call that "captive mentality"

David Axelrod and David Plouffe obviously would have factored all these in before they sought General Powell's public endorsement.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 11:17pm On Oct 20, 2008
agaba123:

Because it will be seen as racism he would not express his opinion.
what will you call that?
Bondage. The white man can support whoever he likes but the black man cannot because he is black.

Self imprisonment. who cares what they think. That means they are still controlling your behaviour. get liberated man.

Nodding in agreement.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by savanaha: 5:31am On Oct 21, 2008
There are blacks that support McCain, the guy that was at his Campaign and said he has got his ass whopped for supported McCain and McCain told him his blessing is in heaven.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by lammie01: 9:59am On Oct 21, 2008
@ dayoakanu

I call this intellectual ensalvement or mental colonisation for the former 3rd most powerful man in america, former chairman of the joint chief of staff ( Topmost military man in america) not to express his opinion and political judgement for fear of hiss support been tagged racial, common.

This man is not like some african leaders who would always fear to say the truth and bow at the toes of western imperialist.

Imagine all the black american politician had this kind of thinking how would barak obama have support of blacks. Are u saying John lewis a former strong Clinton backer should have stood on the fence as well?

Assuming Obama lost how would history percieve the notable blacks for standing on the fence when Obama needed heir support.

A man should not act based on what others would say but act on right judgement and principle. This is a fundamental of leadership which clearly Colin Powel has I dont think you (dayoakanu) have i am sorry to say.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by Laurnetta(f): 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2008
[/quote][quote]

of course. colin's endorsement may make or mar obama's winning chances. of course it is racist!. ask yourself this simple question; if clinton had won the democratic ticket, would colin be endorsing her now? afterall, they av very similar policies.
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by agaba123(m): 1:58pm On Oct 21, 2008
Laurnetta:

of course. colin's endorsement may make or mar obama's winning chances. of course it is racist!. ask yourself this simple question; if clinton had won the democratic ticket, would colin be endorsing her now? afterall, they av very similar policies.
how do you know he would not have endorsed Clinton?

Have you forgotten that the Clintons are very popular with the blacks? Did you no read he served under Clinton?

What about the black woman that was Clinton's Campaign manager?

BTW when has it become a crime for a black man to support a black because he is black? Isn't that natural in the first place.

If you read my earlier post, you would understand the analogy I made with countries and there support of premiership clubs which tilts towards the clubs with there own national. Check Chelsea and Russia, China and Man U

Those countries have members in lower league or lower table clubs like pablochenko in Tottenham, and some Nigerian player in Sunderland and so on but none of those lower league clubs will get patronage like the top 4. Why, quality overides premodial sentiments.

Obama has got the quality and he is black, why is it a crime for a black man to support him? His crime is that he is black. You live in south Africa though
Re: Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama by agaba123(m): 4:25pm On Oct 21, 2008
Just take a look at what Powell said in London during thisday's festival

“I am close to both of them,” he had said. “I have known McCain for 25 years. We fought in the Vietnam War together. We’re both in the Republican Party. I have not known Obama for that long, though. But I have told McCain, I won’t support you simply because I’ve known you for so long. I told Obama, I won’t endorse you simply because you’re black. It would be a negation of my belief that we should all be judged by merit.”
He was talking about merit. That is it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live: Protests In Russia Against Putin Failed War In Ukraine / “kill One Christian And Government Will Kill Four Muslims”kenya. / This Shocking Map Shows How Israel Took Over Palestine Since 1947

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.