Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,440 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses (27066 Views)

Why Do Doctors/nurses Treat STD Patients With Disdain? / FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola – NMA / Doctors, Nurses, Protest At Nigeria’s National Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Dee60: 1:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
kstyle2: Then what are dey serious abt? Stealing and riggin i guess...nt srious in curbing d menance called boko hram nd nw this

Possibly serious about not being serious about anything. They owe us only one thing now - free and fair elections- So we should at least acknowledge that they have not captured Osun against the wishes of the people.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Innobeztt(m): 1:16pm On Aug 11, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]Infact am tired of this bloody country and the so called politicians. I wish they will just sleep one day and never wake up again. Idiots.! undecidedInfact am tired of this bloody country and the so called politicians. I wish they will just sleep one day and never wake up again. Idiots.!
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by hensben(m): 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
Nigeria is a case of tout, primitive and clueless governing the leaned since 1999...So one dont expect positive result when this happen. undecided
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by assana: 2:41pm On Aug 11, 2014
Now am getting tired of all dis nonsense,wc kia wahala be dis nau sad,FG shld beta wake up oooooo or else sad lipsrsealed

i reserve my comment,before dem go say i don talk one tin undecided
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Mbediogu(m): 3:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
Are you serious or just that cold blooded? You think doctors are tooth picks to be dispensed after single use? Please reboot your cerebral hemispheres. No insult intended. Cheers.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by charliemomoh(m): 3:34pm On Aug 11, 2014
thts a lot of time
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 11, 2014
Smh for this country. Even Ghana took prompt action, talkless of the so called 'Giant of Africa'.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by obeski13(m): 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2014
Kcinho:
Nobody is asking for special allowance but an increase in the hazard allowance being paid .Quietly go over there and work voluntarily if you feel doctors are asking for too much. One doesn't need an MBBS to help with cleaning or feeding patients.
.i wil quite appreciate and wil be willing to help in cleaning up and feeding patients free of charge.its a service to humanity.it is only in nigeria dat medical practictioners value money over d lifes they av sworn an oath to save
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Vicotex(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2014
englishmart: you just came to to read comments right?
yh
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Daniel058(m): 4:41pm On Aug 11, 2014
They better do something b'coz life no get disc 2
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by thirdeye(m): 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2014
Are the Nurses and Doctors serious about their jobs?
You have to even bribe some of them to attend to patient.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Ayatullah(m): 5:21pm On Aug 11, 2014
'BOKO HARAM' WAKES US UP FROM OUR SECURITY SLUMBER........EBOLA IS HERE TO EXPOSE THE IMPOTENCE OF THE CHURCH WHEN IT C OMES TO LAYING HAND AND HEALING. ALLAHU AKBAR.....This is the season of TRUTH.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Kcinho(m): 6:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
obeski13: .i wil quite appreciate and wil be willing to help in cleaning up and feeding patients free of charge.its a service to humanity.it is only in nigeria dat medical practictioners value money over d lifes they av sworn an oath to save
Cleaning up Ebola patients free? I see you are a saint. I bet you don't know that the government doesn't pay for all the hours doctors put in as call duty....and Dats not enough humanitarian service right until they die and their families abandoned. I bet you haven't put in a single word of prayer for the doctor down with Ebola or the dead nurse.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by ceaser: 10:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
cuteboy2: I am really sad an appalled at how brazen people will sieze any national situation to score cheap political points and disparage the federal govt all because of the mad quest to wrest power from GEJ. Of all the national emergencies I have witnessed in Nigeria, FGN response to the Ebola threat stands out as the best so far in terms of:
Aaaaaand let me use facts (equally bing-able/google-able of course) to puncture the false claims aimed at exonerating the FG. Pls forgive me (and i mean it) if this rejoinder further compounds your sadness and appals. Here goes:
cuteboy2: 1. The speed of FGN response was very good immediately the first case was reported. In a nation where it is very difficult to track the movement of people, the immediate identification and quanrantine of all those who came in contact with what is termed in medical parlance as the "index case" (the Liberian victim Mr Sawyer) was really commendable. In every outbreak of epidemic this step is always pivotal in stemming further infections.
Your claim about the FGN is FALSE and you proudly utter this falsity. LASG been the epicentre was until few days ago at the forefront of containing it's spread. It's in their domain already and every effort should be summoned immediately while waiting on your "FGN" and other assisting bodies. The "FGN" expectedly came in the picture to roll with LASG about 72 hours after the index case was confirmed. There's a thread on Nairaland showing pictures of the extraction team from LASG/WHO, not the "FGN" And Ohh, I'm so intimidated by your seeming knowledge of "medical parlance" and I wanna think several other forumites are equally flabbergasted by your fluent use of the word "index case" (pun unintended). Psychology says that such strategy as the use of high-falloting words like Obahiagbon (he speaks the truth in his own case sha) does is a means to convince your listeners/readers before hand and to garner some credibility to whatever you wanna say from that point onwards, even if it's not the truth. So you try well well my brada.
cuteboy2: 2. setting up of quarantine centres to treat those infected.
An ideal quarantine centre would have been a place where suspected carriers are properly monitored, provided with comfort and adequate feeding hence all contacts with other people are strictly ensured. However, the matron (RIP) was "quarantined at her home". Now her immediate families are RUMOURED to be infected (I sincerely hope it's not true). "Home quarantine" is what the LASG and FG has been up to. And please before you go all "proper quarantine is an expensive thing to do" over me, I reiterate here that this country has the wherewithal for that. This country's got MAAANEY (kudi), expertise (there have to be supplies o) and a willing and well informed public to help curb the spread. But the politicians will rather "wait it out" to fizzle away, except of course any Ebola intervention fund is gonna be made available for channelling to their own pockets.
cuteboy2: 3. Health minister's Collaboration and coordination of plans with State govts, especially the South West states.[/qoute] While I believe this to be true, the efforts from every government stakeholder has not been optimal in my opinion, given the current emergency.
cuteboy2:
4. Immediate commencement of screening of all airline passengers , especially those arriving from neighboring countries. This was widely reported by newspapers last week including the same punch that is carrying this obviously political stories by
I won't dispute this. I think that's the picture. Something which I hope they'll keep up. But I'm shocked that the Punch newspaper that sees it as a noble social responsibility to apprise the public on a scourge with significant public health impact has now invited vilification from you for doing such. But here you are, proudly misinforming the public on the state of things - such insensitivity!

cuteboy2: 5. Provision of protective gear for health workers at designated treatment centres.

Fallacy!!! PPEs are yet to be provided at eny centres as requested for by NMA. For proof of authenticity, pls pay a casual visit to the Infectious Disease Hospital at Lagos. Just know you risk some level of exposure going there casually, so don't come creating a new thread on Nairaland blaming me CAPTION "Nairalander advised him, now he is infected with Ebola"

cuteboy2: 6. Concerted public enlightenment to create awareness and advice the public of simple steps to improve personal hygiene and prevent spread.

Well, I won't contest this as most governments including the FG on FRCN and NTA have heeded the clarion call to enlighten people on the scourge. Abi you wan argue say na the federal government sponsor all those state-sponsored jingles all over Nigeria again?

cuteboy2: 7. Visit to and advise to religious organisations not accept Ebola cases, but to refer them to hospitals. I know that govt officials visited Redeemed Church of God camp ground who's convention was about to start and were impressed with sanitation measures being taken. As a result the GO of RCCG personally said that he advised his members from West Africa to stay away from this year's convention in Lagos.

LASG and not FG sent emissaries to T. B. Joshua and that was an immediate type response. I'm not so sure about the Redeem case sha.

cuteboy2: It is sad that rather than join hands to first attack this common enemy, the Lagos branch of NMA is dissipating energy organising press conferences tinged with political undertones.

There you are. Politics again. It's good that Fashola's govt was indicted else you'd probably have cried foul that the Lagos state NMA was working with the APC against the Jonathan-led govt of the PDP.

cuteboy2: If Lagos branch of NMA had concerns about Ebola prevention, is grandstanding in a press conference the best way to go about it? Lagos NMA is answerable to thier national Executives. Did they channel their concerns to them. These people have unrestrained access to Lagos State Commissioner for Health and Gov Fashola. Did they make any attempt to contact these people? Obviously their press conference also indicted Fashola and LASG health officials because they are actively working with Federal Min of Health on this potential epidemic.

They made contact with the Comissioner. But who is he answerable to? Who dictates the tune played by the piper? That's by the way. Lagos being the epicentre of the first confirmed cases made the LASG and Lagos NMA to promptly arrange a meeting. It was there that the solutions to contain the spread were clearly outlined to the LASG, equipments and protective gears included. However, nearly two weeks after the meeting, no PPEs is yet to surface.[qoute]

Apparently Lagos NMA is not happy with the National body for calling of their ding-dong strike.
Obviously you're not well informed. The strike is yet to be suspended.

cuteboy2: All state chapters of NMA are cooperating fully Federal and State Govt health officials except Lagos chapter. If other state chapters behave like this how will the effort succeed?

It's true that all state chapters of the NMA are trying as much as possible to lend their support to the various tiers of government as evidenced by their press release urging the govt to provide PPEs and to be clear on the terms and conditions of their much touted "life insurance". And no, you're wrong about Lagos state NMA being uncooperative for the reason given earlier - the meeting.

Permit me to give this point. An isolation unit for highly infectious diseases like ebola costs 20million naira apiece. Therefore there's no reason for every govt hospital to own at least one unit that may turn out to save the life of millions of Nigerians. Pray tell, how much does a bullet proof vehicle cost? Okay let's bring it down - how much is it for a 2015 Toyota Prado SUV (commonly driven by the politicians)?
cuteboy2: Even this demand has been met. They are just demanding for documents.
Perhaps you think it wise to rely on mere words of promise when dealing with an uncaring government. However wiser men think otherwise, hence the need for pen-on-paper (which of course the govt still have the habit of dishonouring.

So I hope I've been able to paint to the esteemed readers and wise forumites the true picture of things which contrasts clearly with what one of us is proudly propagating.

2 Likes

Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:27pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by mindtricks: 11:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
candy:
Doctors are ready and willing to help, strike or no strike. All doctors are saying is: provide protection! Doctors have families who have friends who have their own families. People should even stand up for doctors' safety now because if they are protected, the society gets better protection because they are part of the society!

An average Nigerian only trully understands things better when they have their very own bitter experiences.

1 Like

Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by mindtricks: 11:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
ceaser: Aaaaaand let me use facts (equally bing-able/google-able of course) to puncture the false claims aimed at exonerating the FG. Pls forgive me (and i mean it) if this rejoinder further compounds your sadness and appals. Here goes: Your claim about the FGN is FALSE and you proudly utter this falsity. LASG been the epicentre was until few days ago at the forefront of containing it's spread. It's in their domain already and every effort should be summoned immediately while waiting on your "FGN" and other assisting bodies. The "FGN" expectedly came in the picture to roll with LASG about 72 hours after the index case was confirmed. There's a thread on Nairaland showing pictures of the extraction team from LASG/WHO, not the "FGN" And Ohh, I'm so intimidated by your seeming knowledge of "medical parlance" and I wanna think several other forumites are equally flabbergasted by your fluent use of the word "index case" (pun unintended). Psychology says that such strategy as the use of high-falloting words like Obahiagbon (he speaks the truth in his own case sha) does is a means to convince your listeners/readers before hand and to garner some credibility to whatever you wanna say from that point onwards, even if it's not the truth. So you try well well my brada. An ideal quarantine centre would have been a place where suspected carriers are properly monitored, provided with comfort and adequate feeding hence all contacts with other people are strictly ensured. However, the matron (RIP) was "quarantined at her home". Now her immediate families are RUMOURED to be infected (I sincerely hope it's not true). "Home quarantine" is what the LASG and FG has been up to. And please before you go all "proper quarantine is an expensive thing to do" over me, I reiterate here that this country has the wherewithal for that. This country's got MAAANEY (kudi), expertise (there have to be supplies o) and a willing and well informed public to help curb the spread. But the politicians will rather "wait it out" to fizzle away, except of course any Ebola intervention fund is gonna be made available for channelling to their own pockets. Obviously you're not well informed. The strike is yet to be suspended.

It's true that all state chapters of the NMA are trying as much as possible to lend their support to the various tiers of government as evidenced by their press release urging the govt to provide PPEs and to be clear on the terms and conditions of their much touted "life insurance". And no, you're wrong about Lagos state NMA being uncooperative for the reason given earlier - the meeting.

Permit me to give this point. An isolation unit for highly infectious diseases like ebola costs 20million naira apiece. Therefore there's no reason for every govt hospital to own at least one unit that may turn out to save the life of millions of Nigerians. Pray tell, how much does a bullet proof vehicle cost? Okay let's bring it down - how much is it for a 2015 Toyota Prado SUV (commonly driven by the politicians)?
Perhaps you think it wise to rely on mere words of promise when dealing with an uncaring government. However wiser men think otherwise, hence the need for pen-on-paper (which of course the govt still have the habit of dishonouring.

So I hope I've been able to paint to the esteemed readers and wise forumites the true picture of things which contrasts clearly with what one of us is proudly propagating.

Anyone who is closer to govt circles know "they don't really care about us".

You just made my day!!
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by mindtricks: 11:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
Kcinho:
Cleaning up Ebola patients free? I see you are a saint. I bet you don't know that the government doesn't pay for all the hours doctors put in as call duty....and Dats not enough humanitarian service right until they die and their families abandoned. I bet you haven't put in a single word of prayer for the doctor down with Ebola or the dead nurse.

Interesting to be reminded an average Nigerian is so thoughtless that expect things as sensitive to be done properly without a good measure of support from those in authorities.

If you have ever been to hospital for a health issue which the doctors tell you the equipment to use to help you further with such a simple health issue is not yet available in the country, of course simply because the govt has refused to provide, I wonder what more anyone can do to help whether they be doctor or not. That's how hopeless our situation here is.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 8:28am On Aug 12, 2014
When i scrolled down and noticed the source (PUNCH), i immediately noticed it was fraud.. APC sponsored news media
etunoman76: The Lagos State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association and the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives have accused the Federal Government of not being proactive enough in the fight against the Ebola Virus Disease.

The doctors and nurses said at separate news conferences in Lagos on Sunday, that the government had yet to put in place adequate measures to protect health workers willing to manage those infected by the deadly virus.

The state NMA, through its chairman, Dr. Tope Ojo, therefore challenged the federal and Lagos state governments to provide protective kits and address the issue of hazard allowance for doctors, nurses and other health workers ready to be involved in treating infected persons.

It also faulted the life insurance cover announced by both the federal and state governments, saying its provisions had yet to be spelt out.

The NMA said, ‘‘Any health worker that is managing an Ebola patient is risking his/her life and that of his family. Ebola has killed over 61 doctors in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. It is a serious issue.

“You don’t just dangle life insurance without documents. We cannot endanger our lives unless we know what is at stake.We should be assured that should anything happen to us, our families are catered for.

“The terms of the insurance must be in public domain in a transparent manner.

“It is sad that it had to take an Ebola outbreak, for government to realise that health workers need life insurance cover.”

Also at the news conference, the association’s Secretary, Dr. Babajide Saheed, said it was imperative for both governments to put in place adequate infection control measures to effectively check the spread of the EVD.

Saheed said,” Please you journalists should visit the IDH(Infectious Diseases Hospital in Yaba and find out what the Federal Government has put in place for effective infection control.

“Please compare it to what health workers in Guinea and Liberia had while treating Ebola patients.

“Till now, the Federal and state governments have not come out with a concrete position on the life insurance cover they have offered to us and the public.

“By protecting health workers that are managing suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola, you are protecting the public from infections, because doctors are part of the society.”

The Lagos NMA also used the opportunity to declare that the nationwide strike by doctors had not been called off.

Also, nurses, at their own news conference, said it was regrettable that the Federal Government had not learnt to act fast during emergency situations like the Ebola virus outbreak.

They also berated the Federal Ministry of Health for negotiating with the NMA to end its strike, saying that the association (NMA) was not a trade union but a professional body which had no right to boycott work.

Their President, Mr. Abdrufai Adeniji, said, “It is appalling that Nigeria is still at the stage of making arrangements when the virus has already been granted certificate of occupancy and has taken full residence in the country. “Government should learn to copy true international best practice which its agents are quick to shout when they are on their mission of deceit.

“Serious governments have already put in place precautionary measures to prevent the pandemic on their soil and some even have treatments even though such are still in the clinical trial stage.

“Government needs to understand that its business should be doing more than it says and taking actions that surpass mere arrangements.”

He commiserated with the family of the nurse who lost her life after contracting the disease while treating Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian man who brought the disease into the country.

Adeniji urged nurses to exercise extreme caution while treating Ebola patients as they stood a higher risk of contracting the disease than doctors.

He said, “We hereby call on nurses to remain committed to their calling and be cautious of the precautionary measures to forestall further incidences. The government at all levels should do their part to provide adequate equipment infrastructure, protective wears, policies to take care of the victims of the virus and other deadly issues.

“The government should immediately set up an intervention team to attend to the situation.”

Catholic church suspends sign of peace

Also, the Catholic Church has instructed its priests to henceforth suspend all forms of physical contacts during service, including the traditional sign of peace, which involves shaking of hands with other worshippers during service.

This directive was contained in a statement by the Catholic Archbishop of the Metropolitan See of Lagos, Adewale Martins, titled “The Outbreak of Ebola Virus – a pastoral approach.

“Taking into consideration the fact that this rite is optional, we shall henceforth omit it i.e. not invite people to offer the sign of peace. When you get to this rite, skip it,” Martins said in the statement.

Apart from calling for the discontinuation of placing of water bowls at the entrances of parishes of the church, the Archbishop encouraged the use of gloves when counting offerings as other means of stemming EVD’s spread.

The statement read in part, “The use of Holy Water Fonts at the entrance of the church should be discontinued forthwith until the virus alert is lifted. This does not preclude private use of Holy waters in homes and offices.”

“Priest are also advised to be cautious when visiting sick members, especially when they are to administer the sacrament of anointing for the sick. They are equally advised to avoid physical contacts when giving out the Holy communion to members.

“Priests should exercise caution when they go for sick calls, particularly when they have to administer the sacrament of the anointing of the sick. They should ensure regular handwashing after visiting patients in the hospital or homes.”

In Abuja, the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Metropolitan, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, also called on members of the church to refrain from shaking hands during the sign of peace session.

Onaiyekan, in an interview with journalists on Sunday, explained that the church was taking necessary precautionary steps to avoid the spread of the disease.

Onaiyekan however clarified that the warning does not mean that the church had banned shaking of hands during mass.

He said, “We did not ban handshaking during mass. We are only discouraging it and it is going to be temporary until it is clear that Nigeria is no longer under Ebola threat.

“It’s a possible means to avoid the spread of Ebola virus and also prayers to keep the country safe. Many people are not comfortable with shaking people they don’t know during this period of Ebola, so there is need to take such steps.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-not-serious-about-fighting-ebola-doctors-nurses/
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 8:30am On Aug 12, 2014
If not for the Government's efforts and fight, this Ebola virus would have spread more than what we're seeing...
etunoman76: The Lagos State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association and the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives have accused the Federal Government of not being proactive enough in the fight against the Ebola Virus Disease.

The doctors and nurses said at separate news conferences in Lagos on Sunday, that the government had yet to put in place adequate measures to protect health workers willing to manage those infected by the deadly virus.

The state NMA, through its chairman, Dr. Tope Ojo, therefore challenged the federal and Lagos state governments to provide protective kits and address the issue of hazard allowance for doctors, nurses and other health workers ready to be involved in treating infected persons.

It also faulted the life insurance cover announced by both the federal and state governments, saying its provisions had yet to be spelt out.

The NMA said, ‘‘Any health worker that is managing an Ebola patient is risking his/her life and that of his family. Ebola has killed over 61 doctors in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. It is a serious issue.

“You don’t just dangle life insurance without documents. We cannot endanger our lives unless we know what is at stake.We should be assured that should anything happen to us, our families are catered for.

“The terms of the insurance must be in public domain in a transparent manner.

“It is sad that it had to take an Ebola outbreak, for government to realise that health workers need life insurance cover.”

Also at the news conference, the association’s Secretary, Dr. Babajide Saheed, said it was imperative for both governments to put in place adequate infection control measures to effectively check the spread of the EVD.

Saheed said,” Please you journalists should visit the IDH(Infectious Diseases Hospital in Yaba and find out what the Federal Government has put in place for effective infection control.

“Please compare it to what health workers in Guinea and Liberia had while treating Ebola patients.

“Till now, the Federal and state governments have not come out with a concrete position on the life insurance cover they have offered to us and the public.

“By protecting health workers that are managing suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola, you are protecting the public from infections, because doctors are part of the society.”

The Lagos NMA also used the opportunity to declare that the nationwide strike by doctors had not been called off.

Also, nurses, at their own news conference, said it was regrettable that the Federal Government had not learnt to act fast during emergency situations like the Ebola virus outbreak.

They also berated the Federal Ministry of Health for negotiating with the NMA to end its strike, saying that the association (NMA) was not a trade union but a professional body which had no right to boycott work.

Their President, Mr. Abdrufai Adeniji, said, “It is appalling that Nigeria is still at the stage of making arrangements when the virus has already been granted certificate of occupancy and has taken full residence in the country. “Government should learn to copy true international best practice which its agents are quick to shout when they are on their mission of deceit.

“Serious governments have already put in place precautionary measures to prevent the pandemic on their soil and some even have treatments even though such are still in the clinical trial stage.

“Government needs to understand that its business should be doing more than it says and taking actions that surpass mere arrangements.”

He commiserated with the family of the nurse who lost her life after contracting the disease while treating Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian man who brought the disease into the country.

Adeniji urged nurses to exercise extreme caution while treating Ebola patients as they stood a higher risk of contracting the disease than doctors.

He said, “We hereby call on nurses to remain committed to their calling and be cautious of the precautionary measures to forestall further incidences. The government at all levels should do their part to provide adequate equipment infrastructure, protective wears, policies to take care of the victims of the virus and other deadly issues.

“The government should immediately set up an intervention team to attend to the situation.”

Catholic church suspends sign of peace

Also, the Catholic Church has instructed its priests to henceforth suspend all forms of physical contacts during service, including the traditional sign of peace, which involves shaking of hands with other worshippers during service.

This directive was contained in a statement by the Catholic Archbishop of the Metropolitan See of Lagos, Adewale Martins, titled “The Outbreak of Ebola Virus – a pastoral approach.

“Taking into consideration the fact that this rite is optional, we shall henceforth omit it i.e. not invite people to offer the sign of peace. When you get to this rite, skip it,” Martins said in the statement.

Apart from calling for the discontinuation of placing of water bowls at the entrances of parishes of the church, the Archbishop encouraged the use of gloves when counting offerings as other means of stemming EVD’s spread.

The statement read in part, “The use of Holy Water Fonts at the entrance of the church should be discontinued forthwith until the virus alert is lifted. This does not preclude private use of Holy waters in homes and offices.”

“Priest are also advised to be cautious when visiting sick members, especially when they are to administer the sacrament of anointing for the sick. They are equally advised to avoid physical contacts when giving out the Holy communion to members.

“Priests should exercise caution when they go for sick calls, particularly when they have to administer the sacrament of the anointing of the sick. They should ensure regular handwashing after visiting patients in the hospital or homes.”

In Abuja, the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Metropolitan, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, also called on members of the church to refrain from shaking hands during the sign of peace session.

Onaiyekan, in an interview with journalists on Sunday, explained that the church was taking necessary precautionary steps to avoid the spread of the disease.

Onaiyekan however clarified that the warning does not mean that the church had banned shaking of hands during mass.

He said, “We did not ban handshaking during mass. We are only discouraging it and it is going to be temporary until it is clear that Nigeria is no longer under Ebola threat.

“It’s a possible means to avoid the spread of Ebola virus and also prayers to keep the country safe. Many people are not comfortable with shaking people they don’t know during this period of Ebola, so there is need to take such steps.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-not-serious-about-fighting-ebola-doctors-nurses/
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 12, 2014
sunnyshayne:

You that have parents, siblings and girlfriend as doctors, tell them to call off their selfish strike. Can't they write to the Fed Min of Health?, why do people like you always rush to the press to gain cheap popularity? Face your work Mr doctor family!
4 ur information, I dnt kno of any 1 so close 2 me dats a doctor or nurse.....I ve only placed maself in dr shoes...dey risk dr lives 2 save lives, dey r appreciated in all parts of d world except our darling nigeria
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by jpphilips(m): 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
Youngzedd: You see.

Everyone knows that our government is unserious.

Who voted in the un serious Government? Un serious people i guess!
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by jpphilips(m): 12:19pm On Aug 12, 2014
delishpot: Yeye dey smell. Fed govt sef, na wa o. Can a country choose to drag its feet in a sitiation like this? The doctors and nurses who have chosen to work should be commended and every thing they need to adequatrly care for the sick and protect themselves should be provided. I do not belirve the health insurance shit. Only a dumb doctor will believe that Nigerian government will do as promised. Inshort once that money is paid, the big stomach politictians will embezzle the whole thing and even add ghost doctors names to that list. So I sugest they place a fee or price. Let those over $€Xed legislators, senators and co sacrifice their fat purses for the good of the nation(yeah, in my dreams) and forget about sugar girls and aquiring more minnors as wives.
In this case I support doctors 200% they should not risk their lives for nothing. Their families need them esp in naija where its all man for himself. If you die, trying to serve selflessly governmebt will spit on your grave and pass. Ask the families of those Army and police men how it is when a provider dies for National cause.

What is the difference between Ebola and Boko haram? Boko has more death toll than Ebola, the Govt slept on Boko, we did not complain, so why are we complaining on Ebola? because it is the south? I see!!
Voting Jonathan 2015 is a death warrant.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by delishpot: 12:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
jpphilips:

What is the difference between Ebola and Boko haram? Boko has more death toll than Ebola, the Govt slept on Boko, we did not complain, so why are we complaining on Ebola? because it is the south? I see!!
Voting Jonathan 2015 is a death warrant.

And to you, Nigerians are not complaining about govts inability to tackle boko haram? Ok if you say so.
Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by Maonyz(f): 3:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ebola Alert!!!

Learn How To Protect Yourself...

People, It is no longer a joke!

Ebola has no cure for now but there are measures you can take to prevent its spread among your loved ones...according to medical report!

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM EBOLA VIRUS:

* Wash your hands with soap(ALOE LIQUID SOAP): Make it a duty to wash your hands regularly. Protect your palms from pollution and other environmental irritants(ALOE PROPOLIS CREME). Avoid all unnecessary contact.

* Use a good Hand SANITIZER ( FOREVER HAND SANITIZER): This should be done regularly and carry it with you everywhere you go. Teach everyone you know to do same. Buy for your children and loved ones to carry around. Being your brother's keeper isn't a choice anymore. The farther people you know are from Ebola virus, the farther away you are from it too!!!

* Disinfect Your Surroundings: The Virus cannot survive disinfectants, heat, direct sunlight, detergents and soaps. Clean up your laundry, dishes, floors and bathrooms. Use Forever ALoe MultiPurpose Detergent for this!

* Fumigate if you have pests: Fumigate your environment and dispose of the carcasses properly. The Cleaner your environments are now, the better for you!

* Eat foods that will boost your immunity: some are yoghurt, Sweet Potatoes, Fruits, Beef, Chicken Soup, Garlic, Oats etc. Take a glass of Aloe Vera Gel Drink daily and our Forever ImmuneBlend!

* Protect Yourself: Use protective gear if you go near or care for someone you suspect has Ebola. Its even better you call the medics to take charge because they are more trained for this!

* Report: Report any suspicious symptoms in yourself or anyone else IMMEDIATELY you notice them. Don't delay!

* Educate everyone(even your little ones): Tell your loved ones, neighbours, colleagues and domestic staff. You're safer when everybody around you is educated about Ebola Virus.

The listed items are very affordable. Ebola is the expensive one here!

To order for Aloe Liquid Soap, Aloe Propolis Creme, Forever Hand Sanitizer and Forever Aloe Multi Purpose Detergent-MPD:
Call/whatsapp: 08032776889
BBPIN: 2A5C1937
foreverbeautifulwithmma@gmail.com

To Learn more, like us on: http://www.facebook.com/foreverbeautifulwithmma

Re: FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses by naira2dollar: 10:23am On Jan 12, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Accuses Boston Fertility Doctor Of Secretly Inseminating Her With His Own / Asiata Adupe Onikoyi-Laguda Celebrates Her 91st Birthday / 4 Male Breast Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.