Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,126 members, 7,818,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 (2951 Views)

Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? / Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? / Stop, Car Too Low - Error On Mercedes Benz Cls 500 - Sienna - Any Idea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by steveyen(m): 9:04am On Aug 13, 2014
I drive a Nissan maxima 04. It's a cool ride and move fast but the problems is that it's too low.

I now run away from some roads because each time I drive on a rough road the undeneath hit uncontrollably on the ground with a heavy thud sound. This also happens when climbing over some high bumps on the road. Though I dont no what is going on underneath the vehicle but I guess those 'hitting on grounds' is not good for the vehicle. Now the car is throwing up codes about catalyst efficiency which people have said might be a result of leaking exhaust due to those hard hits on the road surface.

Pls what can I do to correct this? Is there any way round this knowing fully well Nigerian roads is not gonna improve soon?

Pls your advise and suggestion are higly welcome. Cheers.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 13, 2014
You could install slightly higher springs. Murano springs maybe. For the rear, you could also achieve a marginal increase with an additional rubber seat below the spring.
The rubber seats (or spacers) look like these

2 Likes

Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by steveyen(m): 11:08am On Aug 13, 2014
@ Costee thanks for your inputs

Pls how much could this possibly cost or the cost estimate.

Also Murano. I learned everytning about Murano is problematic and expensive.

And Lastly, will it hav negative impact on the car drivability and its suspension system.
I vaguely heard somewhere that raising car this way could land car into a series of waterloo though not sure abt that anyway.

Costee: You could install slightly higher springs. Murano springs maybe. For the rear, you could also achieve a marginal increase with an additional rubber seat below the spring.
The rubber seats (or spacers) look like these

Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 13, 2014
steveyen: @ Costee thanks for your inputs

Pls how much could this possibly cost or the cost estimate.

Also Murano. I learned everytning about Murano is problematic and expensive.

And Lastly, will it hav negative impact on the car drivability and its suspension system.
I vaguely heard somewhere that raising car this way could land car into a series of waterloo though not sure abt that anyway.

I'm not sure how much springs cost. In the case of my 2006 Max, I got the front springs along with the shocks when the original shocks blew (I ran into a pot hole at top speed). A for the rear, I used the spacers at 2k apiece. The quality of the drive as a result of higher ground clearance is not adversely affected. The only thing is that from an aesthetic point of view higher front springs increase the already enlarged gap at the front wheel wells. But then that's a matter of personal opinion.
I don't understand what you mean by the Murano being problematic in this context. The prices of the shocks have fallen, I believe. When I bought them in 2012 I got the pair for 25k. The springs should cost much less, if they could be purchased without the shocks.
The ground clearance specifications for the 6th Gen Max are 29.06 (SL)/29.02 inches (SE) front and 27.76 inches rear. This is measured from the tip of the wheel well across the tyre to the ground on a straight line. But then your car should be parked on a level surface. You could try to measure your present clearance for the fun of it. As a I said earlier, your springs are probably sagged already.
Btw, the pics I posted is not for the max. It's for M45 Infiniti. I increased its rear height. I didn't take the pics for the Max when the spacers were installed. Both have same configurations however.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by nissparts(m): 12:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
You only need to raise the rear to avoid bottoming out.
Just have the spacers fixed on the rear springs.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by steveyen(m): 4:36pm On Aug 13, 2014
Thanks all for the input.

Just wondering if changing the rim (wheel) and tire size can have the same effect as using the spacer?
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 13, 2014
steveyen: Just wondering if changing the rim (wheel) and tire size can have the same effect as using the spacer?
I doubt. If your Max is SE the dimensions are 245/45R18, and 225/55R17 if SL. Very little room to manoeuver. Should you move to say 19 rim, then your profile must reduce to say 40 if you are to avoid rubbing against the fender. At all events you've not gained any further ride height. Ride heights are actually determined more by springs than tires. This explains why though the SE and SL have same ride height but different springs because they have different tyre dimensions.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by steveyen(m): 8:52am On Aug 14, 2014
Costee:
I doubt. If your Max is SE the dimensions are 245/45R18, and 225/55R17 if SL. Very little room to manoeuver. Should you move to say 19 rim, then your profile must reduce to say 40 if you are to avoid rubbing against the fender. At all events you've not gained any further ride height. Ride heights are actually determined more by springs than tires. This explains why though the SE and SL have same ride height but different springs because they have different tyre dimensions.

Waoo . Noted. Thanks for this.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by steveyen(m): 9:20am On Aug 14, 2014
nissparts: You only need to raise the rear to avoid bottoming out.
Just have the spacers fixed on the rear springs.

@ Nisspart thanks for dropping in on this.

Pls what do u mean by bottoming out? Will the spacer give enuff ride height to avoid banging on the floor without spring adjustment and how will this affect the alignment and the aesthetic of the ride ?
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Bottoming out I presume means the front is disproportionately raised against the rear (giving an ugly look). With the spacers you'd gain between 1 to 2 inches (which is not bad). A front spring of equal effect will retain the shape of the car still, though as I said earlier there'll be that yawning gap at the wheel wells.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by nissparts(m): 7:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Bottoming out is what you are currently experiencing i.e hitting bumps and potholes due to a low ride
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
May I ask why you bought a sedan when you know the road conditions that you travel on?
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by steveyen(m): 2:56pm On Aug 18, 2014
CityNG: May I ask why you bought a sedan when you know the road conditions that you travel on?

grin grin grin grin grin

Brosssieee na money oh !! I no get enuff money buy jeep oh. If moni dey me too sabi better tin naaa. And son of man must dey mobile naa. At all at all dey say na him bad.

1 Like

Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
steveyen:

grin grin grin grin grin

Brosssieee na money oh !! I no get enuff money buy jeep oh. If moni dey me too sabi better tin naaa. And son of man must dey mobile naa. At all at all dey say na him bad.
Come again! How much can there be between a 2004 Max and a 2004 Murano? Or you got a battered Max for cheap? And who says the SUV is "better" or even more expensive than the sedan. The prime advantage of the SUV in this clime is the ground clearance. Beyond that, I never find ride in the SUV comfortable.
Re: What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2014
steveyen:

grin grin grin grin grin

No be money do you, more like follow follow.

You could have stepped down to a slightly older SUV.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Let's Know Your Dream RIDE / Vibrating Body Why? / Can Peugeot 406 Ew10 Engine Work On 406 V6 Phase 2gearbox?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.