Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,762 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? (12366 Views)

Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / What Can Someone Do About Too Low Cars On Nigeria Roads?- E.g Nissan Maxima 04 / Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Foyanmun: 2:31pm On Jun 13, 2012
I am about to relocate to Nigeria from Holland. I have an eight year old Benz ML320 which i have been using for the last 18 months. Is it a good idea if i ship this vehicle home or is it advisable to sell it and buy a Japanese brand instead? Suggestions from Naija residents who have actually used ML320 in Nigeria will be highly appreciated.
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Osama10(m): 3:10pm On Jun 13, 2012
A Highlander or 4runner would be better. wink
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by niddamugu(m): 4:40pm On Jun 13, 2012
No car is good enough for Nigerian road. Just drive because any car that plies our roads simply has a maximum lifespan on 4 yrs.

4 Likes

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 13, 2012
Sell the truck and when you get down here, you will get it cheaper. Depends on where you wanna live in Nigeria, all kinds of cars move here bro. But if your location in Nigeria is pot-hole prone, get Landcruiser or Any Landrover truck

2 Likes

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by sylve11: 4:59pm On Jun 13, 2012
Sell it bro, get here get another. highlander ain't bad. cool
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 13, 2012
High cost of maintenance in Naija...
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by ayusman16(m): 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
Lots of ML320 on our roads and d users aint dead yet...

4 Likes

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by kaiter: 5:28pm On Jun 13, 2012
sylve11: Sell it bro, get here get another. highlander ain't bad. cool
Same here.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by chumchum1: 5:41pm On Jun 13, 2012
Best you sell it and buy your self a toyota jeep less fuel and cheap to maintain the benz is a great car but very high maintenance cost and over heating and so on
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by damilola15: 5:48pm On Jun 13, 2012
In a word: NO.
That being said, give two people the best car that fits Nigeria roads (if such exits), they necessarily wouldn't use it the same way. I guess what I'm saying is, it also depends on the user.
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by myfriend1(m): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2012
with german car you will not experince inferior part. german benz is trusted world wide for is quality, if you are ready to spend on good products and good maintenance culture.

1 Like

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Godogwu: 6:33pm On Jun 13, 2012

1 Like

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by pato405(m): 6:44pm On Jun 13, 2012
@Foyanmum.

Im currently in the Uk. can we talk? pls e-mail me minajkindy@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Nightshift(m): 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
You can drive most German vehicles a life time.Living in Europe is also an advantage for German vehicle owners in Nigeria. I have 2 European vehicles (BMW & Volvo)in Nigeria, and I prefer sourcing my spare parts especially new ones in Europe. German vehicles have power and balance Japanese makers can only dream about. The ML320 is a solid "Schwaebische" power-pack.
Bad roads in Nigeria makes less fuel consumption,which is the only argument Japanese users have irrelevant. If you like spending more time and money for maintenance go for a Japanese.Being different from hoards of Japanese vehicle drivers is also a plus.

1 Like

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by BUSHMAN1: 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
i think the ML320 is a good car for naija roads i ve got one myself i shipped from the UK since 2008 its still doing fine although its 05 model, ML320 is a very good car, i liked it so much i bought another one a ML320 4MATIC 2011 model, the only problem is i spend a lot of money on petrol
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by werepeLeri: 7:43pm On Jun 13, 2012
niddamugu: No car is good enough for Nigerian road. Just drive because any car that plies our roads simply has a maximum lifespan on 4 yrs.

STORY

1 Like

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by sylve11: 7:57pm On Jun 13, 2012
werepeLeri:

STORY

i tell u. . . cool
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by supaeagles(m): 8:53pm On Jun 13, 2012
hmmmmmm people go make noise here, say they are driving german this and swedish that..... na wa oh.... for internet you fit say anything without the need for proof!
me i de use kombi bus to go from point A to be B... no problems at all

1 Like

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by jevic(m): 10:58pm On Jun 13, 2012
Wetin be ML320 when people de drive rolls royce phantom for naija here. Come to think of it,are you sure you get the car you just mentioned?

1 Like

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by msb247(m): 11:05pm On Jun 13, 2012
y'all should specify which part of nigeria cos the roads aren't the same all through!!! if its in abuja, what of those people who own porsches, audi r8's, rolls royces, aston martins, mercedes slr's, bmw coupes, and so on? they aren't complaining! just go for what you want and make sure you maintain it well. shikena! if you intend to stay around or pass through somewhere that has very bad roads e.g. mokwa road, umuahia road, etc, then go for 4x4 vehicles by jeep(eg wrangler), land rover(eg defender), toyota(eg highlander), etc. good luck
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by bengoodcreature: 5:12am On Jun 14, 2012
u better send down the ml320 to nigeria it is a strong vehicle for our roads here. it is my ideal car. pls i want to know cost over there...bengoodcreature@yahoo.com
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Trac: 9:07am On Jun 14, 2012
If you plan to go japanese, avoid the Toyota brands. The physics is poor and roll-over is quite high with the trucks. I did witness one on a Saturday morning and to date, I cannot fathom how this truck rolled over within such short distance and narrow room for excessive body-roll. It turned over to the driver's door. It was also at the line for the red light (traffic light). The road isn't rough.

The ML in its design is superior and except you like trucks, you will be down-grading (the ML is a car and not a truck - the very reason it doesn't drive like one). To answer your question, firstly, I believe you are referring to the 163 chassis. It won the FIA world cup Cross Country Races (toughest rallies in the world) in its reign 4 or 5 years in a row. It was production-based homologation; in other words, the production car was what you took except for some adaptations to match the desert conditions, which were the aggressive tyres and a few other changes. So, the vehicle is rugged and you won't have to worry about straight-line/lane-change stability. Since your model designation is E-Spec, the ignition timing could be dialed back a few degrees to adapt it for the lower octane gasoline. There is a resistor where it could be manually done. I actually don't know where it is because it isn't available on the U.S. market and MB did not begin using the ECU approach or adjusting ignition for lower octane fuels till 2009.

Get your suspension worked on (if the state is questionable) and ditch the OEM dampers for Bilsteins. It's cheaper and you won't have to replace the dampers again despite wild road forces Nigerian roads might demand. It's a good investment.

If you plan to keep the ML for a couple of years, sell the V6 and trade-up the V8. The V6 will cost you more with serious attention and expenses. The V6 is prone to a catastrophic engine failure where the balance shafts rips through the engine. If you are worried about fuel, the rear has been tuned tame acceleration, hence fuel consumption is 1 mile more than the V6 variant.

Happy Benzing!

2 Likes

Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by BUSHMAN1: 10:03am On Jun 14, 2012
jevic: Wetin be ML320 when people de drive rolls royce phantom for naija here. Come to think of it,are you sure you get the car you just mentioned?
whats the problem with driving an ML320, you obviously think anyone driving an ML320 could not afford a ROLL ROYCE its all about choice, besides you have to start from some were,and some people chose to start from ML320 and oh! i have two ML320 and and other cars which i wont mention what type of cars they are,because i dont need to proof to you.. though is nit?
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by 677ano(m): 10:11am On Jun 14, 2012
@OP

There are no issues with shipping your car home and using it there are a lot of mercedes ML in Nigeria. I have one in Benin which i sipped from the UK.

You can bling it up a bit if you like. I fitted after market full body kits to my 2000 model and 22'' decorsa C049 silver alloys with 285/35R22 xtra load 106V Tyres which widened the stance.
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by NwaTeacher1: 1:34pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ml 320 is a very nice suv 4 Nigeria road. Its major problem is the four sensor wheel wire which is 23k per 1 but it can be work and reconstruct in Alaoji Aba
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by MacLovington(m): 2:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
Foyanmun: I am about to relocate to Nigeria from Holland. I have an eight year old Benz ML320 which i have been using for the last 18 months. Is it a good idea if i ship this vehicle home or is it advisable to sell it and buy a Japanese brand instead? Suggestions from Naija residents who have actually used ML320 in Nigeria will be highly appreciated.
@Poster,

It depends o. Roads in Abuja and Aba or Ibadan are not same. In Naija environment, apart from just road, you have to consider other things:
(1) Maintenance: ML can be costly which is affected by road quality of course.I don't drive ML but 3 relatives do in Naija and some friends here in Europe. All talk about cost.

(2)Image: In Naija the close relatives who drive them are businessmen/contractor & chiefs. Image of an elderly person. If you want to project the image of a successful contractor and you're returning home to submit tenders here and there, then fine. If you're going home and trying to blend in, a Toyota 4runner might be better.

(3)Your pocket + family situation: If you are married with kids, you don't need a car that can cost a lot to keep on the road. Private school fees can be high in Abuja/Lagos. Except of course money is no problem.

You may actually need more than one car if you're married. If you and Mrs use the same car, it could be inconvenient. A Toyota Camry for Mrs will do nicely.
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by Foyanmun: 2:49pm On Jun 15, 2012
@Maclovington, thanx for your advice and suggestions, most appreciated.
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:47pm On Jun 15, 2012
Forget stories mechanics or nigerians complain about mercedez benz.to the best of my knowledge it is the best brand of car anyone can ever use.I believe those that are scared of the benz is cos the mechanics scare them off it as once you have a benz and know how to maintain it.the mechanics will not be able to extort you like they used to with other brands.
@poster you have been using it in holland & must be used to its maintenance by now.no matter the road benz remains the better option,if the road is smooth they you over enjoy the pleasure & luxury of the SUV,but if the road is bad it will still do better than a Toyota or Honda.
For me its Only 2 cars Benz & others forget fuel I still don't believe newer benz consume fuel as they are labelled.Durability,Stability,efficiency & luxury always stand out.
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by gadafi147: 12:05pm On Aug 24, 2013
Have you used ML 320? I love that car and will want to know which one I can go for between the v6 and v8. Do you know what the fuel consumption is like?
Re: Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads? by gadafi147: 12:06pm On Aug 24, 2013
@ bounty dog

Have you used ML 320? I love that car and will want to know which one I can go for between the v6 and v8. Do you know what the fuel consumption is like?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola: Bad Roads Not Cause Of Accidents On Highways / After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? / Mercedes Benz Golden Age 1985 To 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.