Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? (771 Views)

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Igbo: A Tribe Or A Nation? / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? by makizee(m): 8:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
...At the risk of this thread becoming a tribe bashing one, lets just share some thoughts on this...i am proudly yoruba ( awa ti aromi sa legbe legbe) but there are some aspects of the yoruba community that i consider kind of annoying ..first up

1.Greetings my people - we sabi greet too much ( including over familiarity), maybe its because i can be extremely private sometimes ( actually most times) but my people can greet on any occasion, its like there is a greeting for every possible occasion, sometimes when i'm lost in my own thoughts and i don't reply cause i didn't hear their greetings, you are labelled pompous and all sorts, You would agree that it is all to become friends and some of just are just fine with the few friends we have, we don't need more..

2.Loud and proud - Kai, yorubas are loud , its like there is a silent competition to see who can speak loudest into the phone (this one especially)... in the streets, banking halls and even offices...thankfully, i don't know of any in the bedroom grin but i must admit, this can also apply to other Nigerians so maybe this is not exclusively ours.

3. Respect is not always reciprocal - how can being respectful be a bad thing, well when it allows people to get away with all sorts of rubbish.. in Yorubaland, respect especially for anyone older than you is almost like sacrilege if not adhered to, but here is the annoying part, respect is earned and not demanded, this is why some folks would just do and undo and be at fault and still expect you to respect them and even apologies on top the matter, just because they were fortunate to enter this world before you, to this i say ...Hian, yoruba parents are so guilty of this. Never expect an apology from your typical yoruba father especially...forget am e no go happen, patapata na inform of bribe..)

4 Parties - Owannbe for real, the final trumpet may be mistaken as an invite to a last minute party by some of my wonderful yoruba folks, i enjoy parties but not every little thing deserves aso ebi, tent, jolorun aka jollof rice and the rest. a friend once commented that he hardly meets my mum at home on any given saturday nough said !!!

feel free to add yours. Now, lets share what you find even slightly annoying about the tribe you come from, novel thread cause my naija people are not known to be self critical of their "tribylogy" everyone seems to be under the illusion that their tribe is the best...hian

Note : for those that would reply with @OP, do not generalise, i am generally speaking ni o, so don't bother tongue
Re: What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? by ChristyG(f): 1:12am On Aug 14, 2014
meaningless thread.why must people always look at d negative and not d positive aspects.threads like dis end up in ethnic bashing.mtcheeeeewwww
Re: What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? by ChristyG(f): 1:12am On Aug 14, 2014
meaningless thread.why must people always look at d negative and not d positive aspects.threads like dis end up in ethnic bashing.mtcheeeeewwww.
Re: What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? by makizee(m): 9:35am On Aug 14, 2014
ChristyG: meaningless thread.why must people always look at d negative and not d positive aspects.threads like dis end up in ethnic bashing.mtcheeeeewwww.
its negative to you because u choose to see it so...
Re: What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? by onila(f): 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
grin
Re: What Irks You About Your Own Tribe ? by 2prexios: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
what I see as baffling among my Lagos people is when someone gave birth to tortoise and I said I don't believe it, and everyone was making face at me as if I don't know 'awon Aye'. Everybody want it to end at labe orun, and its soft sell, nigeria-I-hail-thee already.

At last, I was right, the man who delivered the woman of the child has replaced one of her twin children with tortoise. Police uncover the ruse.

Part two, a woman gave birth with a child holding the holy book, I asked people was it printed in heaven or something? They were like, "what is wrong with this person?" So to douse the tension, I said, "my child must be born adorned with turban before I will take him as mine".

Another bad boy beside me said, it would be better that your child be born with kettle for ablution.

I run out of thread before being caught.cheesy

(1) (Reply)

. / Who Wore It Better, The Babe Or The Baske(picture) / This Belongs To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.