Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? - Dating And Meet-up Zone - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating And Meet-up Zone / Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? (1162 Views)

Looking For A SUGAR MUMMY ? Why? Ever Encountered One? + PICs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by Barayeks(m): 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hey guys
For the benefit of those who do not follow recent trends, the word "Catfish" as used here is a slang to describe an Imposter.They usually open fake accounts on social media with bad intentions,mostly to scam gullible people. They start by stealing a few pictures of an attractive male or female,the person they'll pretend to be and then hope you get so carried away by their looks that you won't mind sending cash smiley

I had an experience with one recently... I usually don't fall for it but I had no idea "Catfishing" has now been extended to bbm
and that people could buy a phone with the sole purpose of pretending to be someone else.

I sent a request and when it got accepted it was this classy looking chick. Her display picture was a selfie taken in front of a mirror, nice weave, extra flat belly that was visible beneath her cropped top and a coke bottle figure in skin tight jeans.... the type that could inspire you to do a remix for that Ginuwine song "in those jeans" grin . Anyway she looked very foreign, no offence to naija babes...."I know not all of you have protruding bellies" she looked foreign mostly cos the environment the pic was taken looked foreign.

Our convo went something like this

me: hey smiley

Her: hiii

me: my name is Bara what's yours?

her: I'm ********
(Then of course the usual "where did you get my pin?" I'm always tempted to reply that with "I saw it on the floor and picked it up for you"wink

Her: wat pick yhu interested to add mi?
(I got a bit confused at this point, It was hard to understand how a girl who looked so classy could type like that..... I just assumed she was maybe Jamaican and it was some kind of patua)

Me: Are you Nigerian? your English seems very different, you mean Wha made me interested in adding you? Well I really liked your profile and thought it would be nice to chat

her: I'm Nigerian, where are you based?
(First clue she was a catfish, They always like to ask where you are first so they can conveniently lie that they are somewhere far away. Why? Well cos it makes scamming easier as you won't be in a hurry to meet up in person )
Me: I'm based in Lagos at the moment. and you?

Her: I'm at Abuja

me: oh that's nice, I use to live at Abuja a few years back ...at Asokoro, what part of Abuja do you stay?

Her: not at abj now
her: wen i am ther i will let yhu know
(I never understand why people spell you as yhu... yhu has the same 3 letters so it isn't a short form...if you need a short form there's U..but if you not too lazy to type 3 letters, why not the correct ones?) Anyway....

Me: okay, I'm asking where you live at Abj when you are there

her: I don't like people dauting mi
her: do yhu want me to start snorbing ur chart
(And this was the straw that broke the camel's back..... what is dauting? and snorbing? and chart?.... theres no way a chick that attractive and seemingly classy won't know atleast the word "Snob". She must have come across it before)

Me : *deletes*

...........so have you ever encountered a "catfish" ? Tell us your experience and how you discovered you were being played

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by itstpia1: 6:35am On Aug 22, 2014
i'm sure i encounter "catfishes" every day on nl. They're permanently located here.

and yes, most (not all though) will intentionally type in bad english to cover their tracks.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by marieolae(f): 5:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
Loool that's so funny
Re: Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by Barayeks(m): 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
marieolae: Loool that's so funny
hi marieolae, smiley have u had an experience with one before?
Re: Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by marieolae(f): 2:58pm On Aug 29, 2014
Barayeks:
hi marieolae, smiley have u had an experience with one before?
my dear, I have not, and I dnt ever wish to
Re: Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by AijaiI(f): 1:22pm On Aug 30, 2014
catfishing is just plain mean. shame to mean pple
Re: Have You Ever Encountered A "Catfish" ? by Nastydroid(m): 12:15am On Aug 31, 2014
lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

. / D / a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.