Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,712 members, 7,955,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:43 PM

Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! (11643 Views)

Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" / My Wife Nags Anytime Am Broke, Please Advise / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2014
Please this is not for the squeamish. If you are, kindly click on your back button. If you also don't have a positive comment, you don't have to leave any.

I posted this here Because of the mothers who I know might have one or two advice. If You're about to suggest I visit the health section, I did more than that. I visited a hospital.

I started menstruating when I was in SS2. I'm an only girl, so there wasn't any other person to compare blood loss volume to.
The first time, the blood stopped on the third day, and over time, I was pretty much able to manage things well that my roommates thought I hadn't started menstrual periods. It was light, convenient and I didn't have to do anything outside my daily routine.

Fast forward to today. I was at a meeting and stood up and I felt blood gush out so much that I had to collapse back on my seat, paralyzed with the thought of it seeping through my pants and running down my legs into a bloody puddle at my feet. Actually, that has happened before, just that nobody was around to see it.

It was/is that bad and has been for some years.

Immediately one period finishes without any serious accident, I find myself thinking of the other one to come, wondering if that would be the time of disgrace.

I am honestly tired, physically and emotionally. I went to a gynecologist who placed me on birth control which he said would reduce it a good 60%. It didn't work. If anything, I started getting cramps which I normally don't have.

I have done scans-Twice. The doctor said there isn't anything on the result that should be making me bleed so. One of the result had a functional cyst, which was Because I was ovulating.

I have done high vajay swab twice. All they found were normal epithelial cells.

I was supposed to go back to the doctor and give feedback, But I moved to another.

I'm seriously thinking of having sex, Maybe it will afford me the opportunity of being able to tame this issue with tampax/tampon. Ive never been able to do that because ive not had sex before.
Because as it is,.I feel like I'm running out of options. I don't want that day to come, that I would have to run for the bathroom with blood dripping all over. I'm just tired. And sick.

Like today, I soaked through my menstrual padding, through my pant, and then my khaki short short that was under my skirt.

Mod, Please DO NOT take this to front page
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by belhomme(m): 4:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
For ur own sake pls sex will never and ever solve this it will only turn u into a desperate lady...

...to the gist, pls when some things seems abnormal the best way u can win the war is to fight the battle on ur knees, pls pray and when i mean pray i mean ur self personally commune with God and dont make the mistake of going to desperate pastors. The Lord will give u a testimony. AMEN

18 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by freecocoa(f): 5:07pm On Aug 19, 2014
Why place someone who isn't even having Sex on birth control? Isn't that dangerous? Hian!

Well OP, I empathize with you, from your post, your period didn't start that way, so I guess something went wrong along the line, too heavy flow isn't normal, I suggest you try other doctors.

I'm not sure about Sex solving anything but I do know a friend's mum had to undergo surgery for something in her pelvis, they said it was due to late Sex or something, medical experts will know better.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Chaleeee: 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2014
If you are bleeding heavily, certain self-care strategies such as making yourself comfortable, getting plenty of rest, drinking extra fluids and eating iron-rich foods can improve how you are feeling. Monitor your menstrual cycle so that you know when to expect your period, keep track of how heavy your flow is and the number of sanitary towels or tampons used.

Take over-the-counter medication such as ibuprofen which will help to reduce flow and relieve menstrual pain. Remember to avoid aspirin as it can prolong bleeding. If you are anemic, you should also increase your intake of iron and folic supplements.

Your health practitioner may recommend a low–dose oral contraceptive pill or progesterone therapy to regulate the menstrual cycle and decrease bleeding(since this did not work for you, I guess you have to keep a tab on your cycle so as to save you the embarrassment that may come with unexpected heavy flow.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Chaleeee: 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
Try having sex. It may just do the magic. I don't mean getting pregnant o.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2014
...You av to continue seeing ur doctor....theres nothing u can use or do on ur own...they understnd d condition beta....
Is ur mum aware of dis probem??...mayb she can help u out....i dont like d idea of using local herbs..but wen its gettn out of hand....u can use it...
About the sex part,sex wont reduce it..it wont reduce d pain atall....mayb u shud try n monitor ur body n d things u eat...

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by sunvick(m): 5:19pm On Aug 19, 2014
belhomme: For ur own sake pls sex will never and ever solve this it will only turn u into a desperate lady...

...to the gist, pls when some things seems abnormal the best way u can win the war is to fight the battle on ur knees, pls pray and when i mean pray i mean ur self personally commune with God and dont make the mistake of going to desperate pastors. The Lord will give u a testimony. AMEN

Sometimes I wonder how U reason. She should pray to God to terminate or erase what HE has already regulated and made inherent in women. If U dnt hav anytime reasonable to say just read n move on n stop exposing the height of ur ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by sunvick(m): 5:31pm On Aug 19, 2014
OP
Urs might be hereditary. Either from ur mum or G.mum.
I have a frnd her period comes twice a month n she has seen a doc only to be told she was normal, she later found out that her G.mum was also having same issue. Her bag is alwys in with pads, just for any unforeseen occurrence.
U can as well have auxiliary pads in ur hand bag just to curb d embarrassment.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:33pm On Aug 19, 2014
freecocoa: Why place someone who isn't even having Sex on birth control? Isn't that dangerous? Hian!

Well OP, I empathize with you, from your post, your period didn't start that way, so I guess something went wrong along the line, too heavy flow isn't normal, I suggest you try other doctors.

I'm not sure about Sex solving anything but I do know a friend's mum had to undergo surgery for something in her pelvis, they said it was due to late Sex or something, medical experts will know better.

Well, he said the pill was supposed to make me stop bleeding so much. I'll have to try other doctors, just don't have a good one to try yet. The former doctor was US trained But I've moved away from that location.

I'm not talking of sex solving it. I was talking of it so I can start using tampon instead of padding.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
belhomme: For ur own sake pls sex will never and ever solve this it will only turn u into a desperate lady...

Thank you. It's just that I feel faith without works is fruitless. God has made available ways to counter these things we go through.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by dytbabe: 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
sunvick:

Sometimes I wonder how U reason. She should pray to God to terminate or erase what HE has already regulated and made inherent in women. If U dnt hav anytime reasonable to say just read n move on n stop exposing the height of ur ignorance.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by sheunfemix: 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
One certain thing abt all u av said is that u are mentally stressed up about your period. U have to put ur mind @ ease and dnt over work ur self mentally about it. I heard an experience of a woman. She had finished her period for about 3 days but then she almost got killed motorcycle. She said her period came back instantly gushing out like a tap. The advice I can give unfortunately is a family planing ish too. Its an implant ur doc will put in ur hand. Side effect is irregular period. Good for those with heavy flow. U cud get an implant of 7years. All still goes down to seeing ur doc
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by SAMBARRY: 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2014
Op I suggest you see a gynaecologist

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
Chaleeee: If you are bleeding heavily, certain self-care strategies such as making yourself comfortable, getting plenty of rest, drinking extra fluids and eating iron-rich foods can improve how you are feeling. Monitor your menstrual cycle so that you know when to expect your period, keep track of how heavy your flow is and the number of sanitary towels or tampons used.

Take over-the-counter medication such as ibuprofen which will help to reduce flow and relieve menstrual pain. Remember to avoid aspirin as it can prolong bleeding. If you are anemic, you should also increase your intake of iron and folic supplements.

Your health practitioner may recommend a low–dose oral contraceptive pill or progesterone therapy to regulate the menstrual cycle and decrease bleeding(since this did not work for you, I guess you have to keep a tab on your cycle so as to save you the embarrassment that may come with unexpected heavy flow.

Thank you. I've gone the ibuprofen route before...didn't work too. I also know when It's about to start Because my period is very very regular.
I can calculate and know exactly when it would start.

My problem is the volume when it starts. Like this cycle started yesterday, so I was well prepared before going for work TODAY.

But is there a way to ever be prepared for a period that feels and acts like a tap turned on? If I'm seated and I stand up, it feels like It's going to overflow and run down my legs, Sorry TMI.
What does it profit a woman to be well prepared and all But blood starts running down her legs and dripping on the floor on standing up to go n get changed?

I can't even use pads at this point. They get soaked before you say 1-2. sad

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
Chaleeee: Try having sex. It may just do the magic. I don't mean getting pregnant o.

Lol. Today, I even found myself looking wistfully at a pregnant woman. I was envying her seriously. No period for nine months plus? It was a very attractive thought to me oooo...

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:53pm On Aug 19, 2014
sheunfemix: One certain thing abt all u av said is that u are mentally stressed up about your period. U have to put ur mind @ ease and dnt over work ur self mentally about it. I heard an experience of a woman. She had finished her period for about 3 days but then she almost got killed motorcycle. She said her period came back instantly gushing out like a tap. The advice I can give unfortunately is a family planing ish too. Its an implant ur doc will put in ur hand. Side effect is irregular period. Good for those with heavy flow. U cud get an implant of 7years. All still goes down to seeing ur doc

Thank you. I'll try not to think about it. Though I work in a very stressful environment. I'm always stressed one way or another.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 19, 2014
freecocoa: Why place someone who isn't even having Sex on birth control? Isn't that dangerous? Hian!

How exactly is it dangerous?

@op, see another gynaecologist.
If you wanna use tampons, just do! It's just a hymen for God's sake.....if you feel safer with the tampon, why not?

but the idea of having sex cos of that? Me think you're very hor*y tongue cheesy
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:55pm On Aug 19, 2014
SAMBARRY: Op I suggest you see a gynaecologist

I'll stylishly ask one of my married friends. Maybe I could get a referral.... Thanks.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 5:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
alutacontinua:

How exactly is it dangerous?

@op, see another gynaecologist.
If you wanna use tampons, just do! It's just a hymen for God's sake.....if you feel safer with the tampon, why not?

but the idea of having sex cos of that? Me think you're very hor*y tongue cheesy

I'll guess I'll see another. But my statement is not about being horn.y o.
Have you ever felt trapped in your own skin, and feeling like you've run out of options? helpless

I thought not.cheesy
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 6:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
temigracie: ...You av to continue seeing ur doctor....theres nothing u can use or do on ur own...they understnd d condition beta....
Is ur mum aware of dis probem??...mayb she can help u out....i dont like d idea of using local herbs..but wen its gettn out of hand....u can use it...
About the sex part,sex wont reduce it..it wont reduce d pain atall....mayb u shud try n monitor ur body n d things u eat...

No. my mum is not aware of it. I don't want her getting worried about me....Thank you
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 19, 2014
LaShawn:

I'll guess I'll see another. But my statement is not about being horn.y o.
Have you ever felt trapped in your own skin, and feeling like you've run out of options? helpless

I thought not.cheesy

there are other ways of getting rid of a hymen.
why must you need a d*ck to do it? tongue
really, I know it must be a lot to go through, try and replenish the blood as much as possible, eat food rich in iron and some iron tablets and take good care of yourself during that period. There are pads for heavy flow, change constantly-say every 2 to 3 hours, shower as much as you possibly can. I know it ain't easy but it's a cross, bear it! kiss

and don't forget to see a GOOD gynecologist cool
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by egopersonified(f): 6:06pm On Aug 19, 2014
Op, while seeking for a permanent solution, when yr period comes on, try using two to three pads at once. There is this comfit pad used in Nigeria when women go to delivery rooms, its just cotton wool wrapped in a cotton net, like old school pad, you can wear two of these and one of the sticky, 'wrap around the panties' pad. This is what I do within the first few days of giving birth, becos I also feel this running like a tap issue during these times. All the best.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 19, 2014
sunvick:

Are you trying to say excessive flow is from God ? undecided , that's a disorder that can be corrected , so there's nothing wrong in advising her to pray about it , you seem to be the ignorant one here.

9 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 19, 2014
LaShawn:

No. my mum is not aware of it. I don't want her getting worried about me....Thank you
....u r welcome,dear....i just think telling ur mum is d best option for now....problem shared is problem half-solved...she s an elderly person,am sure she wud av heard of cases like dat....i wish u all d best,dear....it ll fade away or reduce with tym...

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 19, 2014
And also, you could just go online and read up about menorrhagia, it'll help you with some information about the situation.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:18pm On Aug 19, 2014
My younger sister had the same experience when she was still a virgin. She used to have very heavy flow that lasts up to a week. She went to see a gynae and he bluntly told her there's nothing to be done about it. He told her that her fertility is very high and that the heavy menstrual flow will subside when she starts having kids.
Today,my sister has four kids and her period has regulated.

So Op,you don't need to be worried. Nothing is wrong with you. When you get married and start having kids,it won't be the same again.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
alutacontinua:

there are other ways of getting rid of a hymen.
why must you need a d*ck to do it? tongue
really, I know it must be a lot to go through, try and replenish the blood as much as possible, eat food rich in iron and some iron tablets and take good care of yourself during that period. There are pads for heavy flow, change constantly-say every 2 to 3 hours, shower as much as you possibly can. I know it ain't easy but it's a cross, bear it! kiss

and don't forget to see a GOOD gynecologist cool

Why not a dik. You want me to go the cold, clinical route, abi.? *hard frown.

I've used pads for heavy flow before. Non has been satisfactory. I've used Dr Brown and Trust. Too bulky and it has the tendency of bunching together resulting in side leakage.
There was a time I fell in love with one product like that. But after using it twice, couldn't find it again in the market.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
MzJackBaueress:
My younger sister had the same experience when she was still a virgin. She used to have very heavy flow that lasts up to a week. She went to see a gynae and he bluntly told her there's nothing to be done about it. He told her that her fertility is very high and that the heavy menstrual flow will subside when she starts having kids.
Today,my sister has four kids and her period has regulated.

So Op,you don't need to be worried. Nothing is wrong with you. When you get married and start having kids,it won't be the same again.

no offence but the bolded is a very wrong statement to make.
how could you be so sure nothing is wrong with her just cos your sister's got regulated?
As a matter of fact, a million things could be wrong with her.
Please, don't make such statements again, even after extensive examination, a Doctor would be careful to make that statement you made up there lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 6:26pm On Aug 19, 2014
egopersonified: Op, while seeking for a permanent solution, when yr period comes on, try using two to three pads at once. There is this comfit pad used in Nigeria when women go to delivery rooms, its just cotton wool wrapped in a cotton net, like old school pad, you can wear two of these and one of the sticky, 'wrap around the panties' pad. This is what I do within the first few days of giving birth, becos I also feel this running like a tap issue during these times. All the best.

I'll get this comfit this weekend. Haven't Tried that before. Thank you....I appreciate.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 19, 2014
LaShawn:

Why not a dik. You want me to go the cold, clinical route, abi.? *hard frown.

I've used pads for heavy flow before. Non has been satisfactory. I've used Dr Brown and Trust. Too bulky and it has the tendency of bunching together resulting in side leakage.
There was a time I fell in love with one product like that. But after using it twice, couldn't find it again in the market.

Hehehe
get a really good d*ck to do the job then cheesy
but don't blame it on your heavy flow, blame it on your hormones tongue
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 6:29pm On Aug 19, 2014
temigracie: ....u r welcome,dear....i just think telling ur mum is d best option for now....problem shared is problem half-solved...she s an elderly person,am sure she wud av heard of cases like dat....i wish u all d best,dear....it ll fade away or reduce with tym...

I know my mum. She'd just start worrying. I'm sharing it here nd I've gotten some useful suggestions too. #hugs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are You Still Married? / Advise Needed For A Young Man About Marriage. / How Will You Spend Watchnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.