Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? (5895 Views)

Problems Encountered By The Introduction Of The New Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit / Letters On Windscreen Of Auction Cars / How Do I Clar Mist From My Windscreen While Driving Under The Rain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by stolenstone: 6:41pm On Aug 19, 2014
guys I need serious help here. My 2003 Honda accord rear windscreen glass just shatters on its own accord! What could be the cause?? The first episode happened last week, I changed the glass and in less than 24hours the glass that was changed also shattered the very same way the first one happened.

1 Like

Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 19, 2014
Faulty rear defroster.
Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by stolenstone: 8:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
But the car was stationery na! Do defrosters work without being activated by clicking the button? The car was parked, the weather was fair, and then it rained, and then the glass just shattered spontaneously. And all these happened less than 6hrs of changing the glass
Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by stolenstone: 8:12pm On Aug 19, 2014
i'm so confused. I want to change the glass again. But i'm skeptical about what happened. Cos it could repeat itself again. I need help
Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2014
Check if there are uneven surface area around the glass area, especially the edges where the glass meets the metallic body or rubber/silicone water sealant around the glass/metal edges. If they are any, that uneven surface area most probably caused brought strain/stress to the and made it shatter.
Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
The 2003 Honda Accord rear screen, like the windshield is bonded. By this, I mean it's not the regular rubber-sealed glass, that is pulled into place with a length of cord.

Bonded screens are structural, they help maintain rigidity of the body shell.

01) The screen will break, if the frame / recess is distorted, and the glass is forced to fit.
02) The screen will break, if the wrong bonding agent is used, and it dries rigid, thus allowing no "flex".
03) The screen will break, if the chassis is distorted, and the vehicle is parked on uneven ground.
04) The screen will break, if the chassis is cracked, and the suspension is too stiff, causing the bodyshell to distort.
05) The screen will break, if the old bonding agent was not removed, and there were uneven spots, putting strain on the glass.
06) The screen will break, if you've slept with your neighbour's wife, prompting him to strike your screen with a hammer.
07) The screen will break, if you have unpaid debts, prompting your creditors to strike your screen with multiple hammers.

You need to get your car checked by a pro, for possible causes 01 - 05.
You need to do some soul searching, for possible causes 06 - 07.

I wish you all the best.

19 Likes

Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 19, 2014
^^^^ shocked grin grin grin chai! Eleeyi gidi gaan.

4 Likes

Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
Siena: The 2003 Honda Accord rear screen, like the windshield is bonded. By this, I mean it's not the regular rubber-sealed glass, that is pulled into place with a length of cord.

01) The screen will break, if the frame / recess is distorted, and the glass is forced to fit.
02) The screen will break, if the wrong bonding agent is used, and it dries rigid, thus allowing no "flex".
03) The screen will break, if the chassis is distorted, and the vehicle is parked on uneven ground.
04) The screen will break, if the chassis is cracked, and the suspension is too stiff, causing the bodyshell to distort.
05) The screen will break, if the old bonding agent was not removed, and there were uneven spots, putting strain on the glass.
06) The screen will break, if you've slept with your neighbour's wife, prompting him to strike your screen with a hammer.
07) The screen will break, if you have unpaid debts, prompting your creditors to strike your screen with a hammer.

I wish you all the best.

Lwkmd 06-07 didn't know u were this funny siena.

4 Likes

Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by stolenstone: 11:39pm On Aug 19, 2014
hahahahahaahaahahahaha!!! Oga Sienna, you don crack my ribs! I cant believe I'm laughing at my own misfortune. Anyway My neighbour's wifey dey stroke the hairs on the chest of her hubby right now. I know trespass at all!

3 Likes

Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
I'm willing to go out on a limb and submit that this car has had a frame twisting accident in it's past.

The Honda Accord is one of the top selling vehicles in the US and has topped the top ten list of one magazine or the other for the past 30 years or so. This situation is specific to this car.
Re: Causes Of Windscreen Glass Shattering On Its Own Accord? by Homguy(m): 9:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
Siena: The 2003 Honda Accord rear screen, like the windshield is bonded. By this, I mean it's not the regular rubber-sealed glass, that is pulled into place with a length of cord.

07) The screen will break, if you have unpaid debts, prompting your creditors to strike your screen with multiple hammers.

I wish you all the best.
lwkmd! Esp @ no 6-7.

(1) (Reply)

G-wagon Vs Range Rover Vs Benz GL450 Vs Land Cruiser / Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... / Nigerians In Shock As Us-based Man Shares Photos Of ”ladipo Market” In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.