Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx (2906 Views)

How To Buy And Sell Used Stuff Online On Olx,jiji And Efritin / Exposing The Fraudsters On Olx, Tradestable And Others. / How To Detect A Fake Apple Ipad 2? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx by Ayhor2unde(m): 11:52am On Aug 20, 2014
Guess how much is a brand new Ipad air?#20k! I saw it on Olx. I quickly said a prayer because rapture might as well sound the next minute, an iPad air for 20k, we are indeed in end times. Moments passed, but like a dude in a trance, I couldn't stop staring at my phones screen, salivating at the thought of owning an iPad air finally. I minimized the Olx app, got on my phone keypad and dialled the sellers number. After a couple of minutes on the phone with the seller I realised he was a scammer. You can spot them too by using this tips.

1. Product Image. Look out for product images copied from the internet as against ones snapped by the seller.

2. Ridiculous pricing.This is explicit

3. Location query. When on the phone with the seller, if the first thing he/she asks is your location, turn on your suspicion lights. They ask for your location first so that they can establish the idea of distance, thus the only way to receive the product will be via delivery.

4. Payment before you see the product. Never pay for a product you have not seen. A fake Olx seller will do exactly this.

With these tips you should be safe on Olx. 

What has been your experience so far? And what measure do you think olx should take to deal with this problem?

Check out www.techthins.com for your tech gists.

Re: How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx by mathmatica: 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
I once trusted OLX for job information/ opening,but unfortunately, it has become over ran by unintelligent scammers....have uninstalled it on my phone and no longer visit it online

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx by Sparrow13: 12:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
There is only 1 sure rule for online shoping, don't pay for what you have not seen

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx by cirmuell(m): 12:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
Sparrow13: There is only 1 sure rule for online shoping, don't pay for what you have not seen
and how is that possible if you are not in the immediate environment of the seller, sellers get duped too you know undecided. The problem is there's no middle man. Sites like alibaba, aliexpress even ebay does ...they'll keep your money for you until both party is satisfied with the transactions. That's what we are lacking here in Nigeria. We still have a long way to go when it comes to online transactions.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Seller On Olx by mrmaze(m): 1:04pm On Aug 20, 2014
Wen dey start running their mouth faster than u nd they just wouldnt get off d phone..know it's a scam

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Hp Mini Laptop 250/1gb @ 48k / Affordable phones and gadgets @ TECHSTUFF NIGERIA LIMITED / Neat UK Used Apple Iphone8+ Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.