Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Society Without God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Society Without God (774 Views)

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? / Can man live without God? Why do people who reject God seem to live happy lives / Paula White: Without Walls Or Without God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Society Without God by huxley(m): 11:15pm On Oct 22, 2008
Contrary to the views of many conservative pundits and the Christian Right, the least religious countries in the world today are not full of chaos and immorality, but are actually among the safest, healthiest, most well-educated, prosperous, ethical, and successful societies on earth. Based on a year's worth of research conducted while living in Scandinavia, SOCIETY WITHOUT GOD by Phil Zuckerman explores life in a largely secular culture, delving into the unique worldviews of secular men and women who live in a largely irreligious society, and explaining the reasons why some nations are less religious than others, and why religious faith doesn't seem to be the secret to national success that so many claim it to be.

"Most Americans are convinced that faith in God is the foundation of civil society. Society Without God reveals this to be nothing more than a well-subscribed, and strangely American, delusion. Even atheists living in the United States will be astonished to discover how unencumbered by religion most Danes and Swedes currently are. This glimpse of an alternate, secular reality is at once humbling and profoundly inspiring--and it comes not a moment too soon."

-Sam Harris, a Co-Founder of the Reason Project and author of the New York Times best sellers The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation
Re: Society Without God by JJYOU: 11:17pm On Oct 22, 2008
what happens to the suicide rate of japan and south korea?
Re: Society Without God by huxley(m): 11:28pm On Oct 22, 2008
JJYOU:

Yes, I wonder. What happen? smiley
Re: Society Without God by DavidDylan(m): 11:31pm On Oct 22, 2008
those so-called "societies without God" were actually societies built on the foundations of Christianity.
Re: Society Without God by huxley(m): 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2008
DavidDylan:

those so-called "societies without God" were actually societies built on the foundations of Christianity.

True to a large extend, particularly in the West, a la Scandinavia. Japan is a case that bucks the rule.
Re: Society Without God by JJYOU: 2:43am On Oct 23, 2008
huxley:

Yes, I wonder. What happen? smiley
you should be able to tell me why they have the high suicide rates they have
Re: Society Without God by mazaje(m): 11:27am On Oct 23, 2008
JJYOU:

you should be able to tell me why they have the high suicide rates they have

its more like a culture there hairakiri i dont know if i got the spelling right but its a form of tradition over there oin japan where a person pays or redeems his/herself by taking his/her life when they do something bad, that culture then evolved into the rampant suicides that we have today. . . .

DavidDylan:

so? by the way what are the foundations of christainity and why did they stop practicing christainity? I believe that the country has done it self FAR more good by dropping christainity and following logic and common sense. . . . If only Nigeria will do the same. . . .
Re: Society Without God by JJYOU: 10:09pm On Oct 23, 2008
mazaje:
its more like a culture there hairakiri i don't know if i got the spelling right but its [b]a form of tradition over there oin jap[/b]an where a person pays or redeems his/herself by taking his/her life when they do something bad, that culture then evolved into the rampant suicides that we have today. . . .

nice try. tradition and culture of death indeed. a Godless person always see gloom and no way out of the battles of life. stop being deceived you need Christ and you Him fast.

you and i were created for the purpose of giving pleasure to God in worship and service. no man will ever know love nor the meaning of true happiness without knowing Christ Jesus
Re: Society Without God by DavidDylan(m): 10:23pm On Oct 23, 2008
mazaje:

its more like a culture there hairakiri i don't know if i got the spelling right but its a form of tradition over there oin japan where a person pays or redeems his/herself by taking his/her life when they do something bad, that culture then evolved into the rampant suicides that we have today. . . .

this people are more confused than ever.
High suicide rate in Japan - oh its just a culture, nothing to worry about
High suicide rate in Nigeria - yeah lets blame christianity . . .
Re: Society Without God by mazaje(m): 11:42am On Oct 24, 2008
JJYOU:

nice try. tradition and culture of death indeed. a Godless person always see gloom and no way out of the battles of life. stop being deceived you need Christ and you Him fast.

you and i were created for the purpose of giving pleasure to God in worship and service. no man will ever know love nor the meaning of true happiness without knowing Christ Jesus

I am a godless person and i am living a very fulfilled life so i don't know what you are saying. . . . read the bible and tell me if the biblical god understands what love means when he kills 40 thousand people because they looked into an ark of covenant? does he understand what love means when he instructs people of how to share virgins after leading them into an unjust war? or does he understand what love means when he kills babies because their parents worship other gods?. . . .are the over 4 billion people in the world that do not believe in christ living unfullfiled lives without real love? why do christains spew all this retarded talking points? what the heck are you saying?. . . christains constitute less than 30 percent of the world's population so what the heck are you saying?

DavidDylan:

this people are more confused than ever.
High suicide rate in Japan - oh its just a culture, nothing to worry about
High suicide rate in Nigeria - yeah lets blame christianity . . .

did i say its right to commit suicide? where did i say that high suicide rate in nigeria should be blames on christainity? the only person that said so is YOU. . . . you are the one that sound more confused than ever. . . .
Re: Society Without God by spikedcylinder: 12:11pm On Oct 24, 2008
JJYOU:

From my understanding, the Japanese are a fairly religious people. They believe in many gods, just not the christian god for majority of them. smiley
Re: Society Without God by Nimshi: 12:08pm On Nov 09, 2008
This is a related piece to Society Without God: http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

Huxley: good topic you brought up here.

(1) (Reply)

If U Die This Moment, What Will Be Ur Fate? / Muhammad In The Bible / See Me Praising My God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.