Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,452 members, 7,850,578 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:38 AM

Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? (13313 Views)

FACTS OR FICTIONS? / Nigerian Companies And The Owners Risk / Nigerian It Companies And Email (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by akunjohn(m): 6:09am On Aug 22, 2014
Just watching
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by jaybiz007(m): 6:09am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander: Even if its possible, I sea no reason why they would do that as Road construction is best during rainy season...
really?
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by RichDad1(m): 6:15am On Aug 22, 2014
It's called Cloud seeding.
Cloud seeding , a form of weather modification , is the attempt to change the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds , by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation or ice nuclei , which alter the microphysical processes within the cloud. The usual intent
is to increase precipitation (rain or snow), but hail and fog suppression are
also widely practiced in airports. Cloud seeding also occurs due to ice nucleators in nature, most of which are bacterial in origin. [2] Methodology The most common chemicals used for cloud seeding include silver iodide , potassium iodide and dry ice (solid carbon dioxide ). Liquid propane , which expands into a gas, has also been used. This can produce ice
crystals at higher temperatures than silver iodide. The use of hygroscopic materials, such as table salt, is becoming more popular [citation needed ] after promising research. [3] Cloud seeding to increase snowfall is done when temperatures within the clouds are between 19 and −4 °F (−7 and −20 °C). [4] Introduction of a substance such as silver iodide, which has a crystalline structure similar to that of ice, will induce freezing nucleation . Dry ice or propane expansion cools the air to such an extent that ice crystals can nucleate spontaneously from the vapor phase. Unlike seeding with silver iodide, this spontaneous nucleation does not require any
existing droplets or particles because it produces extremely high vapor
supersaturations near the seeding substance. However, the existing
droplets are needed for the ice crystals to grow into large enough particles
to precipitate out. In mid-latitude clouds, the usual seeding strategy has been based on the
fact that the equilibrium vapor pressure is lower over ice than over water. The formation of ice particles in super cooled clouds allows those
particles to grow at the expense of liquid droplets. If sufficient growth
takes place, the particles become heavy enough to fall as precipitation
from clouds that otherwise would produce no precipitation. This process
is known as "static" seeding Seeding of warm-season or tropical cumulonimbus (convective) clouds seeks to exploit the latent heat released by freezing. This strategy of "dynamic" seeding assumes that the additional latent heat adds
buoyancy, strengthens updrafts, ensures more low-level convergence,
and ultimately causes rapid growth of properly selected clouds. Cloud seeding chemicals may be dispersed by aircraft (as in the second
figure) or by dispersion devices located on the ground (generators, as in
first figure, or canisters fired from anti-aircraft guns or rockets ). For release by aircraft, silver iodide flares are ignited and dispersed as an aircraft flies through the inflow of a cloud. When released by devices on
the ground, the fine particles are carried downwind and upward by air currents after release. An electronic mechanism was tested in 2010, when infrared laser pulses were directed to the air above Berlin by researchers from the University of Geneva .[5] The experimenters posited that the pulses would encourage atmospheric sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide to form particles that would then act as seeds. [5] Effectiveness Cloud seeding is no longer considered a fringe science , and is considered a mainstream tool to improve rain precipitation and snow. New
technology and research have produced reliable results that make cloud
seeding a dependable and affordable water-supply practice for many regions. [4] While practiced widely around the world, the effectiveness of cloud seeding is still a matter of academic debate. In 2004 the National
Research Council released a report stating that to date, there is still no
convincing scientific proof of the efficacy of intentional weather modification. [6] Referring to the 1903, 1915, 1919, 1944, and 1947 and weather
modification experiments, the Australian Federation of Meteorology
discounted "rain making." By the 1950s, the CSIRO Division of Radiophysics switched to investigating the physics of clouds and had
hoped by 1957 to better understand these processes. By the 1960s, the
dreams of weather making had faded only to be re-ignited post-
corporatisation of the Snowy Mountains Scheme in order to achieve "above target" water. This would provide enhanced energy generation and
profits to the public agencies that are the principal owners. Cloud seeding
has been shown to be effective in altering cloud structure and size and in
converting supercooled liquid water to ice particles. The amount of
precipitation due to seeding is difficult to quantify. A key challenge is in discerning how much precipitation would have
occurred had clouds not been seeded. Overall, there is general
expectation that winter cloud seeding over mountains will produce snow, expressed by professional organizations. [7][full citation needed ] [8][full citation needed ][9][full citation needed ] There is statistical evidence for seasonal precipitation increases of about 10% with winter seeding. [10] Clouds were seeded during the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing using rockets,[11] so that there would be no rain during the opening and closing ceremonies, [12] although others dispute their claims of success. [13] A 2010 Israel University study claimed that the common practice of cloud
seeding to improve or induce rainfall, with materials such as silver iodide and frozen carbon dioxide, were not as effective as was hoped. [14] A 2011 study suggested that airplanes may produce ice particles by
freezing cloud droplets that cool as they flow around the tips of
propellers, over wings or over jet aircraft, and thereby unintentionally seed
clouds. This could have potentially serious consequences for particular hail stone formation. [15] Impact on environment and health With an NFPA 704 health hazard rating of 2, silver iodide can cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury to humans and
mammals with intense or continued but not chronic exposure. However,
there have been several detailed ecological studies that showed negligence
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by teeboi73: 6:16am On Aug 22, 2014
It's real,i was working on small access road in Abia couple of years ago,the project was supposed to last 2 weeks but rain did not permit, I was running cash on hotel,labours and the little work we were able to do was destroyed by rain I was kind of frustrated. A man near by that was observing me approached and asked for 5,000 naira (that was in 2008) to 'help' me out,i asked for the kind of help,he said if I still want to do the job,eventually I gave him the money and not even a drop of rain till I completed the job

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by 2oby: 6:16am On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft: This thread is open for Civil Engineers and other related fields who are in highway doing what you know how to do best.

I want to know, does your company use rainmakers in projects? or is there any chemical (science) that suspends precipitation?

In 2007-2009, I noticed something, when Julius Berger was constructing Eleme Junction Interchange here in Port Harcourt, the rains didn't pour as usual. It is either falling everywhere except at Eleme Junction, or the duration of rainfall is minimal when compare to other areas in the state. It was like the dry season was stretched some folks believed JB actually controls the rains.

Is it a fact or fiction?

Discuss!

a friend of mine who is a geographer told me something sometimes ago. She told me rain doesn't fall wen d rainbow appears. She said d construction companies have machine dat projects artificial rainbow to stop d rain wc most time obstruct quality result.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by iamord(m): 6:17am On Aug 22, 2014
diablos: Stopping rain is d most minute of things that julius berger does. They even capture spirits n deities dat attempt to hinder dia construction work.
I know about an incident that happened in ph City years back.. @ an oil site. Everytime they bring their equipment to drill.. It. Just. Goes deep into the. Ground, and it cost the company a lot. So they called a particular ghanaian spiritualist that was based in. Agege. He told them some witches in the village don't want them. To build the project. He Got to the site. Did some sacfrice. And removed two cockroaches from the drill hole. From then on. The construction went smoothly. I even know of some wedding and burial events of which they call rain makers
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by drsteroid(m): 6:19am On Aug 22, 2014
Let's wait 4 the ogas in any of the construction company to clarify this
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by danchuzzy(m): 6:33am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander:
If you are referring to road expansion and contraction during hot and cold whether, those are factors taken care of during the design irrespective of the season.

Water control is very crucial in road constructions, it is one of the most important factors considered. If the road is constructed during dry season and by chance the movement and possible effects of water is not properly "predicted" and taken care of, the road will be as good as "finish", The end(destruction) starts the following season(rainy). So its best during the rainy season as during this time you would be able to see and eliminate possible future effects of water that may probably leads to destruction.

kel4soft:

Absolute spot on. But do you believe in any voodoo involve in suspending or is it just ones imagination?

absolute spot off.
as an engineer u
1) design for worse case scenerios.
2) dont predict worse case scenerios in dis case possible water/rainwater characteristics while constructing
3) dont implement a design (actual road construction) when u r still gatherin facts.

u shuld hav planned for all dese in d preliminary stages of d project via research and what have u. dis is best done during d rainy season & in ur office/company/firm. Once d rains r over (during d dry season), u shuld b ready t commence work at d project site.

okay y people dey stop work wen rain wan fall?

thank u!

2 Likes

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Besea(f): 6:55am On Aug 22, 2014
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by chinkichun: 7:10am On Aug 22, 2014
2oby:

a friend of mine who is a geographer told me something sometimes ago. She told me rain doesn't fall wen d rainbow appears. She said d construction companies have machine dat projects artificial rainbow to stop d rain wc most time obstruct quality result.

Lol, your friend just deceive you with oyibo grammar

What she really means is that the companies have native doctors (machines /mercenaries) that perform some juju and incantations (project artificial rainbow) grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Mushood: 7:14am On Aug 22, 2014
I am a civil engineer and will be shedding light on what is uncleared to most of u, it looks like fiction but d fact is dat it is not. Firstly, Construction is best achieved during dry season as d water control will not be a disturbance to dem and secondly, if eventually d construction is in rainy season, d const. companies will work in pari-pasu wit weather forecast, dat will predict for dem which day to carry out major concrete casting. Usually, construction companies work in accordance to weather forecast.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Mushood: 7:23am On Aug 22, 2014
danchuzzy:

absolute spot off.
as an engineer u
2) dont predict worse case scenerios in dis case possible water/rainwater characteristics while constructing
3) dont implement a design (actual road construction) when u r still gatherin facts.

u shuld hav planned for all dese in d preliminary stages of d project via research and what have u. dis is best done during d rainy season & in ur office/company/firm. Once d rains r over (during d dry season), u shuld b ready t commence work at d project site.

thank u!
don't mind him, he spoke out of profession peharps he is an architect or other related discipline whose believe dey know everything abt engineering.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 22, 2014
diablos: Stopping rain is d most minute of things that julius berger does. They even capture spirits n deities dat attempt to hinder dia construction work.
u are right, infact julius berger has an xpatriate in jujuism especially on projects dt has 2 do with water bodies........no mata hw strong d marine spirit dey, berger go put am 4 bottle, den continue dia wrk

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Mushood: 7:29am On Aug 22, 2014
teeboi73: It's real,i was working on small access road in Abia couple of years ago,the project was supposed to last 2 weeks but rain did not permit, I was running cash on hotel,labours and the little work we were able to do was destroyed by rain I was kind of frustrated. A man near by that was observing me approached and asked for 5,000 naira (that was in 2008) to 'help' me out,i asked for the kind of help,he said if I still want to do the job,eventually I gave him the money and not even a drop of rain till I completed the job
dat is unprofessional of u, where is ur weather forecast?
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by sarutobie(m): 7:34am On Aug 22, 2014
anybody who doubts might be literate but not enlightened. cloud/rain dispersion is an ancient knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by hardbody: 7:36am On Aug 22, 2014
Mushood: I am a civil engineer and will be shedding light on what is uncleared to most of u, it looks like fiction but d fact is dat it is not. Firstly, Construction is best achieved during dry season as d water control will not be a disturbance to dem and secondly, if eventually d construction is in rainy season, d const. companies will work in pari-pasu wit weather report, dat will predict for dem which day to carry out major concrete casting. Usually, construction companies work in accordance to weather report.

you are a learner. When Julius Berger was fixing 3mb, I observed that you will drive through rain till you get to the bridge and it turns dry weather. This happened for 3 long months. During Easter I was home to commit my Dad to mother earth, I kept one of the rain makers standby just in case. The day before rain messed up another burial until another of my uncles engaged those guys. Even the bible agrees that there are powers and principalities. My people should stop dying on account of ignorance.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Mushood: 7:49am On Aug 22, 2014
hardbody:

you are a learner. When Julius Berger was fixing 3mb, I observed that you will drive through rain till you get to the bridge and it turns dry weather. This happened for 3 long months. During Easter I was home to commit my Dad to mother earth, I kept one of the rain makers standby just in case. The day before rain messed up another burial until another of my uncles engaged those guys. Even the bible agrees that there are powers and principalities. My people should stop dying on account of ignorance.
guy, dis is engineering and neither burial nor engagement, just told u how it works in construction industry.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by ntyce(m): 7:50am On Aug 22, 2014
This construction companies do go fetish at times, I never believed until I witnessed one some months back.
CCECC which is handling road projects in Abeokuta was to construct a bridge over a river within the city. During the dredging of the river strange things started happening, heavy rainfall leading to overflow of the river, 3 heavy duty equipment broke down within a day.
The Chinese on sensing that this is supernatural invited their own spirtualist who is also chinko.
Right in my presence, 3 goats were slaughtered with blood sprayed across the bank of the river.
The following day, the machines began to work and construction proceeded smoothly.

Chinko dey do jazz

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by iamord(m): 7:51am On Aug 22, 2014
sarutobie: anybody who doubts might be literate but not enlightened. cloud/rain dispersion is an ancient knowledge.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by rman: 8:04am On Aug 22, 2014
danchuzzy:

absolute spot off.
as an engineer u

thank u!

God bless you.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nihilist: 8:09am On Aug 22, 2014
englishmart: Well, I have a believe those construction managers have a way of stopping rain from falling.

I could recall when I was working at a construction site in Abuja. (world trade centre abuja project)

sometimes we come to work in the morning heavily drenched in rainfall. It will continue falling, but as soon as it's 7.30 (work time) the rain stops/gradually reduces.

More so, whenever there is concrete casting, rain never falls until the concrete sets.

Most times, rain falls only during lunch-break, or closure time.
SMH for Indian people.

embarassed

embarassed

embarassed

This is the 1st time you have told the truth in your entire life.
I always knew you were a bricklayer....

4 Likes

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by donigspain(m): 8:11am On Aug 22, 2014
As a METEOROLOGIST:
We refer to the process of inducing artificial rainfall as CLOUD SEEDING (atmospheric water nucleation). It involves the introduction of dry ice or chemicals e.g. silver iodide into the upper part of the atmosphere to help create an artificial platform for condensation. In like manner, the introduction of certain chemicals can as well help to dissipate (de-nucleation) an already built up rain cloud such as the cumulus and the stratus genres.
These are purely SCIENTIFIC and have nothing metaphysical.

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by tryanzer(m): 8:24am On Aug 22, 2014
In my village there are ppl hu can make or stop rain.
If u r doing something during raining season n u didn't consult them with drinks n dey found out your name will b sorry.
If u try to play wise by doing it under canopy dey ll dismantle ur event with breeze.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Tymax(m): 8:26am On Aug 22, 2014
Very scary thread undecided
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by donigspain(m): 8:31am On Aug 22, 2014
iiichidodo: Delaying rainfall over an area of infrastructural importance is a matter of good timing and deployment of weather tools used to disperse cumulonimbus clouds.....
Sir, it's not limited to the cumulonimbus cloud. Other cloud genres such as those of stratus can also be dissipated.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by amunekeuto: 8:31am On Aug 22, 2014
voodoo thread!
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by HopeAtHand: 8:35am On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft: This thread is open for Civil Engineers and other related fields who are in highway doing what you know how to do best.

I want to know, does your company use rainmakers in projects? or is there any chemical (science) that suspends precipitation?

In 2007-2009, I noticed something, when Julius Berger was constructing Eleme Junction Interchange here in Port Harcourt, the rains didn't pour as usual. It is either falling everywhere except at Eleme Junction, or the duration of rainfall is minimal when compare to other areas in the state. It was like the dry season was stretched some folks believed JB actually controls the rains.

Is it a fact or fiction?

Discuss!

Kel4soft, your topic don make front page. I know how you dey feel now for your mind.grin

Ive been told by a staff of a construction company that they occassionally require the services of Rainmakers when they are behind schedule due to incessant rainfall.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by richyfunky(m): 8:36am On Aug 22, 2014
iiichidodo: Delaying rainfall over an area of infrastructural importance is a matter of good timing and deployment of weather tools used to disperse cumulonimbus clouds.....

which one be cumulonimbus again?
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Ephramed(m): 8:36am On Aug 22, 2014
I drop mat here.i non know who carry am...
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 22, 2014
This things are so real. They do not only happen in local places. This thing happened in mushin. Has anybody been to mushin lately. In fact, any road construction done in lagos state or any part of Nigeria is not as easy as people see it. Before they could expand that road in mushin the contractors went through hell. Most times the appeasement is done at night. This is confirmed not based on hear say.

All this is largely because of poverty. Poverty is so much in the land that people are still greatly influenced by all this things. We in africa are still living in dark ages. The white folks went through this phase long long time ago but somehow they were able to grow above it. I mean why would a water goddess get angry because they want to build a bridge across. The same thing happened for 3 Rd mainland bridge. The story for that bridge is long but also very true. When I was in lag. If u go to the lagoon front. U see some of this ilaje people who own boats. Sometimes they take u for a ride. I don't no if it is still allowed now. U need to hear the stories they say......

I just laugh at people who say there is no God or try to use logical explanation to describe a spiritual phenomenon. People that believe in God but do not believe in the spiritual are even the most stupid of them all.

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Ephramed(m): 8:38am On Aug 22, 2014
all na grammer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Thread For Quotes / Men Spend More Time Gossping Than Women - Study / What Do You Regret Not Doing In 2018 And Your Goals For 2019?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.