Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,598 members, 7,851,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:30 PM

OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation (14428 Views)

3 OAU Students' Union Leaders Bag 14 Semesters Suspension / Great Ife Student Union Leaders Is Yet To Present Any Budget. / Breaking News - Lasu Regain Full Accreditation Back,sch Fees Hike Imminent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by adelawn: 7:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
oauife
is d worstest university i had ever known,had i know they are
inconsistence in running their activities i wound have choose unilag.oba
adaniduro uni

3 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by daninphilo(m): 7:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
Great Ife say No to oppression nd dictatorship act of people in high places Another Omole? Make he ask his elder brother
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Fringes(m): 7:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
AlmubaraqSadara: I know that; is going to come to this far…. my fellow students of great IFE, we need more than a physical compact at this point spiritual compact will be a better option. Let's join our comrades in movement verily they had put their careers inline please united we stand devided we fall and shattered.

Did a professed current IFE Undergraduate write those sentences above?

O my Lord!

Education has gone to the gutter....

P.S: I don't blame OAU as an institution. How this student managed to pass Waec and UTME English language is what baffles me.

There's abject decadence in the system. We must overhaul it and get things right - from primary school level.

A Standard VI pupil from the days of yore would probably have written better, honestly....

3 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Sylvarresta(m): 8:05pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fringes:

O my Lord!

P.S: I don't blame OAU as an institution. How this student managed to pass Waec and UTME English language is what baffles me.

There's abject decadence in the system. We must overhaul it and get things right - from primary school level.

A Standard VI pupil from the days of yore would probably have written better, honestly....
Lol, you bad o..... Great Ife indeed.
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 21, 2014
heykims: A country where anything nd everything goes, uncle Jona does similar thing at d top.
Besides, is there anything d OAU SAYS NO struggle has achieved so far?
3,000 naira reduction. that was what they achieved cheesy
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by adelawn: 8:18pm On Aug 21, 2014
what is great about oauife?to me they are like a school operatng in the 8th century.phcn+oau=phcnoauife.great indeed
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by roland2rule(m): 8:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fringes:

O my Lord!

now that u av said ur mind...
will this change ur life for GOOD...
Or will put an end to victimization....

#OAU says no to victimization

2 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by gbodimowo(m): 8:50pm On Aug 21, 2014
uken73: Na waoh.

The sad thing is that their fellow students whom they are fighting for would likely abandon them to face their fate.
I'm speaking from experience.

You are on point this happened to those of us who protested against faculty of science and their thiefry on sales of manual
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
Abeg OAU nah persin name? Abi nah new political party? Nah question i ask o.
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by 9jalyte: 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
hmmm, I have been reading through the comments of people over this issue, honestly I get scared the more, each time I come to terms with this reality that our present generation of young Nigerians are in no way close to having leadership qualities. Just observe, it is either "na waah oo", "God help us", or some other lousy comments. If it is about abusing them selves, they will not hide the rotten street life the acquire in the different slums they grew up. Always cursing each other in defense of those that are riding on their head. The other time, they were abusing FG for being insensitive to the plights of our "honorable" ASUU. Many have been shouting, heightening their blood pressure that FG suspended residency program. Ok, lo and behold, it has happened to your comrades, what do you have to say "na waa ooh". Where are those hash-tags you have been using for e-activism. Please, let no one even think that I am pro who ever, cus that's the default thinking of some when issues are brought up. I am concerned about the future.

I like the high political consciousness developing among our young people, but the annoying thing is that we are too timid to assume leadership roles. we are still depending on Falana, Soyinka, or maybe resurrect Gani Fawenmi to come and speak for us. Have you asked the question, how old were they when they made their names in the Nigerian space. Every day, we engage our selves in debate of how GEJ, Buhari, Fashola, Atiku etc should or should not rule. Nobody actually considers himself as a leader, and you blame who for not allowing you be leaders.

This OAU incident is a litmus test of the intellectual strength of the young leaders to fight their way out of suppression. Even if it takes court action, let it be. Even if it will cost them the degree, let them make the name that will be better than any degree. The university authorities have over the years used the threat of expulsion to continue their evil/criminal acts against students. It is only the students that can tell them that the old threat will no longer hold water, and by then, they will know that the SUG can unseat the VC. The so called university fraternities that claim to be saving the black Africans, this is the time to save your own, it is time to re-invent the spirit behind establishing the school confraternity in the first place, before the psychopaths took over. Every student should raise their voice and pen to subdue the wicked mechanization of the university authorities. If we can not do this simple duty, let non come here again to talk nonsense about anybody/govt, because it will be as a result of our own failure.

By the way, I was inside AAU Akungba sometime in 2012 to take some money in the ATM. I was listening to a female lecturer complaining bitterly how intellectually and politically weak the present generation of students were. She lamented that a lot of things happen that the students can oppose, either with court action or activism, but they are always docile. She said that some of them as lecturers see such and shake their head, cus they know what they would have done in their own time. She gave instance of a student that took unillorin to court over an issue and won. She was awarded damages by the school. How many can do that now, instead your mates will ask you shey you wan graduate?" Ehn!, after graduating, what happens, shey them dey house de lament, Abegi!

5 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Simitrendy: 9:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
Hmm..Ibikunle,Olori and d likes of S.I Unit d students leader are now in a DILENMA...
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by brunofarad(m): 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2014
Is this realy my own GREAT IFE?

How I wish this VC was there during our days
When comrades fought the mojo war at awo hall with alfas.

When comrades fought fully armed police men with pebbles and catapault.

Shout out to...

Soweto
Barry blacky
Goddey
Ogumah andrew segun aka karl max
Comrade wiseman
Small god
Small
ANd SABURI etal

The days of scientific aluta
When men were men

Let this VC go and ask what happened to wale omole.

This neo liberal imperialists are bent on destroying the legacies of our national heros
Awolowo
Oluwasanmi hezekiah
Etal

God is watching ......

When I remember afrika,water run away my eyes.......aye .....aye ...water run away my eyes.

5 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 21, 2014
You know....I agree with the students, they should have the right to protest without molestation(if possible go to court).

But, this time.....the increase in fees is not the VC or the University governing council's fault.

In 2009,ASUU went on strike to fight for increased funding for the university sector.This led to a long negotiation that ended with the 2009 FG-ASUU agreement (can be read in its entirety here). The terms of the agreement were simple.....ASUU won N3trillion in extra funding for the universities...a large amount of which would go to the updating of and expansion of facilities for learning on campuses across Nigeria. Indeed, it was hoped that this marked the end of chronic strikes in the university sector.

By 2013,the money had not been paid. And ASUU beat the talking drums of strike.

After a lot of hemming and hawing....Government finally told ASUU the truth. The Treasury did not have N3 trillion to spare for our universities. In its place, N1 trillion was offered....over 5years (in installments of N200million). ASUU,urged on by a population weary of strikes, agreed,and the deal was signed (The first N200million has been paid).

And many university VC's wept (symbolically speaking of course).

Because Government has no extra money for universities.....and because education funding will not increase to 30% of the budget in the foreseeable future.....there is only one option left....fee increases.

Because, you see, our universities no longer can compete with the best in the world....or even the thrid best in the world....because thanks to years on neglect....they have no adequate or sufficient learning facilities.They do not have enough staff members for the students. They even do not have healthy and good living facilities for the students. And with such poor universities....no wonder we are producing the half baked Nigerian graduate.

And right now....our graduates are losing out to the Nigerians who went abroad for their university degrees. Gone were the days when a Nigerian graduate had to choose which job offer he should accept;nowadays...most Nigerian graduates cannot get a good job because their university education did a bad job of prepping them for the modern world. Meanwhile, they lose out to the foreign graduate . And with the way things are going...chances are that the only way one would get a job is by getting a foreign postgrad degree to add to your Nigerian degree(and even that won't be enough).

I think it is high time Nigerian students met the government and asked for better funding for our universities.Otherwise fees have to go up....and no matter how much you badger the VC....there is nothing he can do about it.It is out of his hands.

Welcome to the high fees future....where fortune favors those who save.

1 Like

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by brunofarad(m): 9:44pm On Aug 21, 2014
We fought wale omole
We fought rojas
We fought faborede

We stood firm then........and we won those struggles then...OAU then was a haven for quality education and good standard of living yet at a very affordable cost.

You may find this strange but I must tell you that for all the 4 years I spent in OAU,my total tuition fees did not exceed N25,000
Accomodation fee was N1,900 per session..
This was just in the year 2006 some few years ago.

All these were possible because we stood and defended our rights collectively as a union of conscious students..above all we also did well academically..with a certicate that though not the best of standard interntionally but we can defend any day.

Now someone somewhere wants to jeopardize all these legacies we fought for and defended ,

May the spirit of our past union leaders,george iwilade afrika, eviano ekelemu etal continue to hurt these destroyers of legacies.

Verily I say to you
Your greed must surely find you out..

F.ckng capitlalists
Blooody imperialists
Neo liberal dictators

2 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by choggy: 10:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
Tank God every segment is witnessing same. wen it was happening 2 doctors we all condemned them.

1 Like

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by rildwanullahi(m): 11:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I remember the days of Saburi.
i also remember DVD and ALAJOGUN in lasposug.abeg make d students stand by their leaders ooh.greatest nigerian students,articulate nigerian students,greatest le won,greatest shi won. E jo e le won,even e shi won.make una stand firm o,rep laspotech 12/13 - am out
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by michealade(m): 11:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
tohell with goodluck Jonathan
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by kel4soft: 11:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
mcpat:
If a reason for the increament is given and it is not contestable so be it but if it is not then i can understand the struggle.. The last time i checked students of the great ife pay one of the cheapest fees(federal unis).. Please enlighten me if i am wrong.

I left UNIPORT in 2011 and I paid 19700 naira then. My younger brother told me the fee have been increased between 39-46000 naira this session. Their protest did absolute nothing to the situation. By the way, their last session, they paid 29700 naira.

1 Like

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by mcpat(m): 12:21am On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft:

I left UNIPORT in 2011 and I paid 19700 naira then. My younger brother told me the fee have been increased between 39-46000 naira this session. Their protest did absolute nothing to the situation. By the way, their last session, they paid 29700 naira.
thats still way higher than what uniben students pay.. Engineering/law/medicine students pay 14,000 naira while the others pay 10,000... Heard OAU fee is cheaper. If thats true i see no reason for the protest
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by gbodimowo(m): 12:40am On Aug 22, 2014
mcpat:
thats still way higher than what uniben students pay.. Engineering/law/medicine students pay 14,000 naira while the others pay 10,000... Heard OAU fee is cheaper. If thats true i see no reason for the protest

Nope you are wrong only health sciences and pharmacy pay 14650 faculty of technology 10300 and that's to others while the arts pay 7800

See the point is we pride ourselves as the cheapest paying school so with a 350percent increase we say NO
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by gbodimowo(m): 12:40am On Aug 22, 2014
OAU ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL-DISCOUNT OFFER
''Death isn't the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is
what dies inside of us while we live''-
Norman Cousins
The recent random paltry reduction by the OAU
management is a shame, an affront and a big slap to the
integrity of Great Ife students. This offer must be rejected
in its entirety because it will bring about disunity, hatred,
infighting and division amongst us as its already happenig
in many quarters.
Its called ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL-DISCOUNT
OFFER, because the management knows that the
FRESHERS are inexperienced and weak, hence cannot put
forward any resistance attempt. So they use the profit they
made from their school fees to pay up for the STALITES.
And to ensure the STALITES do not fight against them as
'one body' they further divide Great Ife students by offering
a DISCOUNT to some selected Faculties. The game plan is
to break our rank, bring disunity so that we do not
continue the struggle after resumption. No wonder some
students are already against one another. Obviously the
management are very wise! But Great Ife Students are
now wiser.
Great Ife its disheartening to know that the management
have not yet repaired Awolowo Hall room 107, Block 8 that
got burnt last Month. Infact every thing in that room burnt
beyond recognition. The question I keep asking myself is
What is going to be the fate of our colleagues occupying
this room after resumption? The management did not even
deem it fit to provide an alternative measure for these
colleagues of ours. Pathetic you will say.
So far so good the management have adopted about seven
(7) strategies against us:
1) STARVATION eg closure of Central market, Power
outtage, lack of water supply and health care stoppage
during OAU closure.
2) PSEUDO CARE PRODUCTS eg instalmental payment,
Work study, &Scholarship Scheme
3) DIVIDE & RULE eg Increment in Stalites fee, after
FRESHERS.
4) STOMACH STRUCTURE eg Free food, money, and
accomodation to management boys or TRAITORS.
5) DISCOUNT OFFER eg N3,000 selective reduction for
stalites.
6) ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL eg Taking from
FRESHERS to pay STALITES.
7) and VICTIMIZATION eg two semesters suspension to
our Union Leaders and Four Semester suspension to our
students activists.
This is the reason why the meeting attended by the SU
thus far was hosted by different committees for instance-
The Panel Interview, Senate Meeting, Meeting with the DSA
and so on.
The unfortunate thing is that our Union Leaders are just
like child soldiers fighting war veterans like Mama
Durosimi, Prof Bamitale and co.
Its obvious to the blind that this fight should be fought
intellectually- pound for pounds and wisdom for wisdom.
When the music rhythm changes, the dancing step
changes. Hence we need to adopt different strategies just
like the management to win this struggle.
WAY FORWARD
1) Take the battle to Abuja.
2) Set up a 'special taskforce' to spear- head the struggle
made up of war veterans like Mandela, Anchor, Juwon,
Engel, Ibikunle, Olori, Azaro, Chocomilo, Sammie and
comrade TY as members.
3) Since Election holds next year. Lets use it to hold the
FG to either reverse the fee or no election holds on our
campus come Feb. 14, 2015.
4) Call a Congress of Great Ife Students a week after
resumption.
Great Ife please stop the blame game. To the feeble be
STRONG.To the fearful be COURAGEOUS. To the hopeles
be FAITHFUL. To the traitor WOE betide thee. I see HOPE,
LIBERTY, FREEDOM, and VICTORY at the end of the tunnel.
Please let us be purposeful, be united and fight this
monster called OAU management to a standstill.This
struggle is not yet lost at all!
God Bless Great Ife Students.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by gbodimowo(m): 1:10am On Aug 22, 2014
brunofarad: We fought wale omole
We fought rojas
We fought faborede

We stood firm then........and we won those struggles then...OAU then was a haven for quality education and good standard of living yet at a very affordable cost.

You may find this strange but I must tell you that for all the 4 years I spent in OAU,my total tuition fees did not exceed N25,000
Accomodation fee was N1,900 per session..
This was just in the year 2006 some few years ago.

All these were possible because we stood and defended our rights collectively as a union of conscious students..above all we also did well academically..with a certicate that though not the best of standard interntionally but we can defend any day.

Now someone somewhere wants to jeopardize all these legacies we fought for and defended ,

May the spirit of our past union leaders,george iwilade afrika, eviano ekelemu etal continue to hurt these destroyers of legacies.

Verily I say to you
Your greed must surely find you out..

F.ckng capitlalists
Blooody imperialists
Neo liberal dictators

But all this was possible in the era of men and not boys that roam the campus today who don't know left from right
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by lurdEazy(m): 2:35am On Aug 22, 2014
Dis same tin hapend back den in ma school. d student union took d school management to court and they won the case. OAU students, stick together as 1 and face it. Its jst a faze that u have to overcome... Wish u guys d best. ALUTA CONTINUA!!!
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by dnacrystal: 6:49am On Aug 22, 2014
Have students started paying the discounted fees yet?
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by 1Book(m): 7:47am On Aug 22, 2014
Ochibaisik: Let the student protest again and if nothing is done about that,then they should take a new dimension.
God forbid bad thing!
We say NO to all forms of Protest.
Nothing good comes out of it!
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by dotman10(m): 8:10am On Aug 22, 2014
this is indeed very serious. what i can and will only say is that if there is anytime to reject the any form of authoritarian system of administration by the Great Ife students, it is now! The truth is that you guyz dont have anything to lose again after all you have been able to withstand the "'stay @ home for no reason" policy of the management which has bastardized the academic calender already. Hence, it is better to fight to victory. I know many are willing to go back to school but remember the future of the union leaders who have taken it upon themselves to fight for a perceived injustice done to the entire students of OAU is at stake here. an injustice to one is perceived as to all in this case and that is what makes us great. Say no to injustice! Say no to victimization!! Say no to authoritarianism!!!
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by Fringes(m): 8:58am On Aug 22, 2014
roland2rule:

now that u av said ur mind...
will this change ur life for GOOD...
Or will put an end to victimization....

#OAU says no to victimization

You could be a lot more responsible - even on the internet, you know...

If you are a current IFE student, as is obvious, then you were probably in primary school when myself and others did what you now do. Some of us transversed AWO Hall, 'Afrika' Amphitheatre, SUB, and held Student union offices as well performed important roles in the University student community - before going on to pick our degrees - and with good grades too.

The difference between what we did and what you've done with your quote of me and your rather insolent comment above was to be RESPONSIBLE and guarded in speech and action.

You possibly don't know how much eventually went into the eventual fees reduction. Take it or leave it young (wo)man, it wasn't only your demonstrations on campus, it was intellectual 'aluta' from within and outside the university - including staff and alumni.
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by dabossman(m): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2014
gbodimowo:

Nope you are wrong only health sciences and pharmacy pay 14650 faculty of technology 10300 and that's to others while the arts pay 7800

See the point is we pride ourselves as the cheapest paying school so with a 350percent increase we say NO

7,800 per session? That's less than N1,000 per month for a 9-month session. Jeez, that is less than what most students use to pay their BBM subscription. Hhm, cheapest paying school? Okay o! Won't say more than that.
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by mbz101(m): 11:31pm On Aug 22, 2014
Let the student move up and fight for their right , this nonsense need to stop one day in this country .Aluta continue Victory a sata
Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by jgatherer(m): 8:52am On Aug 23, 2014
And they said they wouldn't victimise any student...Democracy in Nigeria is exaggerated!

Re: OAU Fees Hike Struggle: Management Places Union Leaders On Probation by davidsonflaming: 10:28am On Aug 23, 2014
When are they putting down names for Nysc mobilization and when is it closing..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cultism In Nigerian Schools: Causes, Consequences, And Prevention / University Ratings Over The Years Are Fake, Says NUC / Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.