Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,516 members, 7,836,972 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card (2477 Views)

Massive Traffic As Jonathan Visit Lagos (Photo) / Police Battle Hoodlums As Jonathan Campaigns In Bauchi / Photos From PDP Presidential Campaign Rally in Sokoto, As Jonathan Visits Sultan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 24, 2014
24 Aug 2014

President Goodluck Jonathan will on Thursday formally launch the rollout of electronic identity cards, which will assert Nigerians’ identity, writes Kunle Aderinokun
AA ceremony, which announced that the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) would be issuing MasterCard-branded national e-identity cards turned out to be one of the most important features of World Economic Forum (WEF) in South Africa for Nigeria.

Present at the ceremony for the announcement in South Africa were the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, and DG, NIMC, Mr. Chris Onyemenam, who represented Nigeria. Also present was the President for the Middle East and African region, Mr. Michael Miebach, representing MasterCard.

The scheme allows the global electronic pay company to issue 13 million cards to Nigerians and legal residents in the country in the first instance. Even in its pilot phase, the national e-ID card which is now ready for launch on Thursday, August 28, 2014 by President Goodluck Jonathan is not only the largest formal rollout of an electronic payment solution in the country but also the broadest platform for financial inclusion in the continent.

Onyemenam said at the forum in South Africa that the biometric infrastructure, which is collectively called the National Identity Management Systems (NIMS) in Nigeria has the capacity to store details of over 300 million Nigerians and legal residents in the country. In addition, the data capture and storage and retrieval system includes authentication and verification services, amongst other value propositions.

With the launch, the identity sector in the country would for the first time be in the position to win back not only the confidence of Nigerians but also make national identity management services and infrastructure to be relied upon by the world. “We are talking about unique identification of Nigerians and legal residents which must be relied upon by all,” said Onyemenam.

What this means is that, also, for the first time, the new national e-ID card will attract positive recognition and respect for Nigerians especially at international gateways and land borders. “One of the most important functions is the payment function, which for now is supported by MasterCard,” noted Onyemenam in an interview recently.

“And for MasterCard to accept to collaborate with us speaks volumes. It means that we have the right ideas and vision. It’s our responsibility to ensure that the right qualifications or criteria that would qualify our cards to be accepted worldwide as a MasterCard card are met and observed and adhered to very strictly.”

The national e-ID card has Access Bank as the pilot issuer institution. Other issuer institutions that are to join in subsequent phases include Zenith Bank, United Bank for Africa, Unity Bank as well as Skye Bank, Unity Bank and First Bank. It is equally noteworthy that the launch of the national e-ID card is coming on the heels of ISO/IEC 27001:2005 certification in Abuja.

ISO/IEC which stands for International Standards Organisation (ISO) and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) are foremost global rules agencies. While ISO, on the one hand, has thousands of guidelines which touch on almost all aspects of human life, IEC, on the other hand, is the conformity assessment body for all fields of electrotechnology.
Performing audit and accreditation for the certification was the British Standard Institute, a UK firm which has over 100 years of experience on global best practices. In the last one century since it began business, the BSI has helped more than 72,000 organisations ranging from top global brands to small ambitious businesses in 150 countries.

As a matter of fact, the NIMC strategy has been to complete the information security protection audit before the commencement of mass issuance of the new e-ID cards in the country. Digital Jewels implemented the full ISMS process and conducted a mock audit and, after a few adjustments, invited the BSI as independent auditors to conclude the certification of the NIMC system.

Together, the ISO/ICE 27001:2005 certification and the collaboration with MasterCard have enabled the activation of the third of five components of the national identity management systems (NIMS).
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 24, 2014
“We have delivered on the third component of the NIMS. The card is the one everyone wants to see. We will give it to you but it should be noted that it’s not even the most important aspect of the NIMS. The remaining four components are the national identity database, the unique identification number, identity and verification services as well as the harmonisation and integration of databases.

The national identification number (NIN), which is the Nigerian equivalent of the social security number in the United States, is erected on a central and secure national database.

According to Onyemenam, “this number is unique to you and that is the one we expect that you should get almost immediately. Once your personal information has been cross-checked and verified, the number will be automatically generated. That number is just for you and no one else. It can’t be shared; it can’t be reproduced; it can’t be replicated and it can’t be reassigned to someone else. Even in death, the number is rested forever.”

“The card is only a means of carrying some portion of your identity in your pocket for purpose of asserting or confirming your identity. It is actually the number [NIN] that is your identity, if you want to refer to any single thing as your identity. So NIN is the universal identification infrastructure system that we have put in place. Every other thing takes its life from that number. This certification is based on the audit of what we have put in place to ensure secure management of personal information and privacy of individuals. So, it means we have kept faith with our promise to meet global best practice in the roll out of NIMS infrastructure,” the NIMC boss clarified.

Onyemenam says the certification amongst other international rules and guidelines backing the operation of NIMC, will help to sanitise the image of the country around the world.

He asserts in fact that the best way to go about improving the image of the country and ensure that the world takes Nigeria serious is through technology. “We have put in place an infrastructure that is technology-driven and based on a verifiable global best practice and this has been so acknowledged by an international standards institute,” Onyemenam adds.

“We are serious about the image of Nigeria and playing by global rules of engagement for such acceptance about issues around the dignity of the Nigerian International status. The world is about to receive a unique card from Nigeria,” he stated, adding: “For the first time the national e-ID will have a payment solution, something that is unprecedented in the world and that’s why so many critics believed it can never happen.

“Very few public sector institutions have this kind of certification. We opted for this as part of credibility-built measures as we know so many people have lost faith in the ability of the public sector to create a basic and support infrastructure to get this identity management issue behind us.

“We now need to achieve the GVCP (GigE Vision Stream Protocol) to silence them forever and face the more daunting task of sustainability. For me the single mindedness of purpose bears fruit when things like this come true,” Onyemenam concluded.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/a-new-era-beckons-as-jonathan-launches-electronic-id-card/187154/

4 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by rawpadgin(m): 7:32am On Aug 24, 2014
GEJ is working

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Iakpalakpa: 7:41am On Aug 24, 2014
GEJ is working

GEJ till 2019

5 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2014
What is fantastic about the new system is that the NUMBER IS YOUR IDENTITY, ie the number given to you during registration is unique to you, belongs to you until death, cannot be duplicated and can be used (even in the absence of the plastic ID card) to retrieve your detailed biometrics just by punching some buttons. In other words, the real thing is the NUMBER, and not the plastic ID.

The plastic ID card on the other hand is an electronic card which can serve multiple purposes such as driver's licence, voting, banking, etc

This is indeed a new era. Mr. Chris Onyemenam, the DG, National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and his team have done a fantastic job. I wish other public servants would be this innovative, creative and hardworking.

6 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by bigtt76(f): 7:48am On Aug 24, 2014
I hope this will put an end to multiple biometric registration and identification schemes in this country ...tired! I still have the Bank Verification Number thing to do ....imagine for 5 diffierent banks.

I also hope the security agents are are adequately trained and sensitized on the ID features before one policeman go begin think say you de bluff an with credit card.

On a final note, wished they harmonize everything to include your daily records such as tax payments, crimes committed etc dat way people go take more care when in the country

3 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 24, 2014
bigtt76: I hope this will put an end to multiple biometric registration and identification schemes in this country ...tired! I still have the Bank Verification Number thing to do ....imagine for 5 diffierent banks.

I also hope the security agents are are adequately trained and sensitized on the ID features before one policeman go begin think say you de bluff an with credit card.

On a final note, wished they harmonize everything to include your daily records such as tax payments, crimes committed etc dat way people go take more care when in the country
I agree with you. There is already a standing presidential order that all other data collected be harmonized into the National ID card as soon as majority of Nigerians registers on the National ID platform.

I was surprised when banks also started another round of biometrics registration. They should have just encouraged all their customers to register on the NIMC platform and submit their national identity number to the banks.

I understand that of INEC because the National ID will not go round before the 2015 elections.

Anyway, I know the various agencies would want to continue to collect their data differently because of revenue generation and contract awards but the president must insist on harmonization once the National ID is fully on ground.

2 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by bigtt76(f): 8:18am On Aug 24, 2014
Exactly. The banks and other selected institutions ought to have read only access to the identity database so that customers who submit the NIN can be verfied on the go.

Remember we did the bank sometin sometin in 2011 now this. I taya jaaare. Even to get SIM card or Internet access you require same.

What irks me a lot is the need to go through the process each time you need additional SIM or Internet access on the same network. You are like can't you tie all the details to my previous entry?

Now Nigeria Immigrations Service don start Address Verification and delivery requirement during passport acquisition ...who wan go verify or deliver naau?

Sincere9gerian:
I agree with you. There is already a standing presidential order that all other data collected be harmonized into the National ID card as soon as majority of Nigerians registers on the National ID platform.

I was surprised when banks also started another round of biometrics registration. They should have just encouraged all their customers to register on the NIMC platform and submit their national identity number to the banks.

I understand that of INEC because the National ID will not go round before the 2015 elections.

Anyway, I know the various agencies would want to continue to collect their data differently because of revenue generation and contract awards but the president must insist on harmonization once the National ID is fully on ground.
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2014
This piece is actually empty. To develop a reliable database is more than a pedestrian piece that's more of an advertisement for an unknown firm.

2 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by kel4soft: 8:30am On Aug 24, 2014
bigtt76: I hope this will put an end to multiple biometric registration and identification schemes in this country ...tired! I still have the Bank Verification Number thing to do ....imagine for 5 diffierent banks.

Sincere9gerian:

Harmonization is the key but; what is the essence of census again? This should have been fused into Census.
Me thinks, is another duplicate exercise. I now know why businessmen love GEJ. Is easy to convince him even when the venture is unnecessarily.

5 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Justcash(m): 8:39am On Aug 24, 2014
ProfCorruption: This piece is actually empty. To develop a reliable database is more than a pedestrian piece that's more of an advertisement for an unknown firm.

If this development is empty to you, I must then conclude that you see everything around you as being empty.

Nigeria is on the rise, no amount of pessimism can change that.

7 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by dhardline(m): 8:40am On Aug 24, 2014

you wont have to do a biometric registration in more than one bank.just get to any preferred bank,register,get your BVN and once you are asked in any other bank just provide the same BVN.Thats how it works,same number for all banks.Thank me laterwink

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Justcash(m): 8:41am On Aug 24, 2014
kel4soft:

Harmonization is the key but; what is the essence of census again? This should have been fused into Census.
Me thinks, is another duplicate exercise. I now know why businessmen love GEJ. Is easy to convince him even when the venture is unnecessarily.

The essence of CENSUS is HEADCOUNT. The essence of NATIONAL ID is IDENTIFICATION. Don't get it twisted.

3 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by kel4soft: 8:44am On Aug 24, 2014
Justcash:

The essence of CENSUS is HEADCOUNT. The essence of NATIONAL ID is IDENTIFICATION. Don't get it twisted.

Read my comment again. I said, it should be fused into one where by after the head count those above 18 should be issue with the card.

3 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 24, 2014
Biometric Database of a country is contracted to an American firm ? The Federal Government MUST learn to use our Nigerian developed softwares for security purpose. You cant just handover all our data to NSA powered institutions.

I will NOT register.

4 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Justcash(m): 8:54am On Aug 24, 2014
kel4soft:

Read my comment again. I said, it should be fused into one where by after the head count those above 18 should be issue with the card.

I understand your reason for making the statement at first. Your idea of Pre-fusion is more complicated than you are imagining. If you are talking about post-fusion i.e. fusing them with an already existing data, then it would have made more sense.
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by kel4soft: 8:57am On Aug 24, 2014
Justcash:

I understand your reason for making the statement at first. Your idea of Pre-fusion is more complicated than you are imagining. If you are talking about post-fusion i.e. fusing them with an already existing data, then it would have made more sense.

Better that way, well I think merging should be the right word here.

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 24, 2014
Justcash:

If this development is empty to you, I must then conclude that you see everything around you as being empty.

Nigeria is on the rise, no amount of pessimism can change that.

1.Who holds and controls the database?
2.Beyond being given a mere number, will it be tied to anything? Is the number a prerequisite to obtain anything?
3.Would FG declare a designated period that everyone (read majority) be registered or is it an open ended registration that leads to no where?
4.Is there any orientation going on for the masses about this project?
5.Why is the ministry of interior not involved in this project?
6.What does one really need to register? How long does it take to register one person?
7.Why are banks being used? And how do you register people in villages where there are no banks?
8.If there are mistakes, where are the hotlines to notify?

It's not about pessimism but making sure the right questions are answered. Obasanjo wasted a fortune pursuing the same nonsense without getting the fundamentals right. Was Nigeria not on the rise then?

Don't just read an article and shout : GEJ till Jesus Christ comes back! Check if it has substance, and more important if ingredients of success are found in such a piece. The article is empty.

10 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by taharqa: 9:17am On Aug 24, 2014
kel4soft:

Me thinks, is another duplicate exercise. I now know why businessmen love GEJ. Is easy to convince him even when the venture is unnecessarily
Census is done, on d average, every 10 yrs. You mean I wud ve to wait for anoda 10 yrs to get my NIN No and National ID Card if I missed d previous one or was not up to 18 at d time??..... *smdh* #imustucriticize..[size=18]OLODO[/size]
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 24, 2014
ProfCorruption:

1.Who holds and controls the database?
2.Beyond being given a mere number, will it be tied to anything? Is the number a prerequisite to obtain anything?
3.Would FG declare a designated period that everyone (read majority) be registered or is it an open ended registration that leads to no where?
4.Is there any orientation going on for the masses about this project?
5.Why is the ministry of interior not involved in this project?
6.What does one really need to register? How long does it take to register one person?
7.Why are banks being used? And how do you register people in villages where there are no banks?
8.If there are mistakes, where are the hotlines to notify?

It's not about pessimism but making sure the right questions are answered. Obasanjo wasted a fortune pursuing the same nonsense without getting the fundamentals right. Was Nigeria not on the rise then?

Don't just read an article and shout : GEJ till Jesus Christ comes back! Check if it has substance, and more important if ingredients of success are found in such a piece. The article is empty.
Professional critic, were you expecting to find all or detailed information about the National ID project on this single ThisDay news report? If you want additional information, why not use google or ask in a polite manner instead of celebrating your ignorance on this thread?

You'r just another case of I must criticize by fire and by force.

2 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by kel4soft: 9:38am On Aug 24, 2014
taharqa: Census is done, on d average, every 10 yrs. You mean I wud ve to wait for anoda 10 yrs to get my NIN No and National ID Card if I missed d previous one or was not up to 18 at d time??..... *smdh* #imustucriticize..[size=18]OLODO[/size]

Phoolishness runs into your family veins. Must you quote me to have a fulfilled day? If you can't read to comprehend, please stop quoting me. Again, I said, issue the card only to those 18years and above during the Census period.

May Otobo punish you if you ever quote me out of contest in your life.

2 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 24, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
Professional critic, were you expecting to find all or detailed information about the National ID project on this single ThisDay news report? If you want additional information, why not use google instead of celebrating your ignorance on this thread?
You'r just another case of I must criticize by fire and by force.
You are a case bro, the dude asked legitimate question and all you could do is to direct him to google? Shame.

6 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by taharqa: 9:43am On Aug 24, 2014
kel4soft:

Phoolishness run into your family veins. Must you quote me to have a fulfil day? If you can't read to comprehend, please stop quoting me. Again, I said, issue the card only to those 18years and above during the Census period.
hahahahaha....MUMU, 'census period' takes place evri 10yrs. Do you even undastad d import of that statement in relation to this yr asinine suggestion here?? #IKPI
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 24, 2014
This is Just another ponzi scheme by the Jonathan administration. Why use commercial organization to issue the card? Why use Banks and Mastercard? This government is a fraudulent one. Nigerians openn your eyes.

By the way, of what benefit is the new scheme to our immediate challenges as a Nation? We are complaining of lack of jobs yet the fraudulent government outsourced our ID Scheme to a foreign organization-Mastercard. This will only enrich the Americans. Beside, who controls the database? How can our Database be with Americans? Why mastercard? Why not use a local ICT firm with the NIMC as an Agency supervising its work? We all know that they can't supervise the Americans. This government of fraud and deceit is killing us. We must stop them

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 24, 2014
^ Tinubu attack dogs with their senseless criticisms. It is only a FOOL that criticises what he knows nothing about. A bi person wey no sa bi suppose to ASK QUESTIONS first before jumping to criticize? Isn't that COMMON SENSE?

7 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by kel4soft: 9:54am On Aug 24, 2014
taharqa: hahahahaha....MUMU, 'census period' takes place evri 10yrs. Do you even undastad d import of that statement in relation to this yr asinine suggestion here?? #IKPI

We are only talking this because we have been poor in record keeping. If we have our birth and death rates have been entered which is the responsibility of the CENSUS board then all these talk about another round of CENSUS exercise which to me is total waste of funds. Continues bio metric is the way forward all merge into one. Not National Identity is registering, Census on the other hand, and so on.
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 24, 2014
Good initiative,but why can't we have universal bio metric bank,where information about a person can easily be obtained..

With that,crime can be curbed,and many identity issue thrashed out.

Its a welcome development.

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Walexz02(m): 9:56am On Aug 24, 2014
Very good development if implemented...

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Miscellaneous(m): 10:00am On Aug 24, 2014
Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by taharqa: 10:02am On Aug 24, 2014
kel4soft:

We are only talking this because we have been poor in record keeping. If we have our birth and death rates have been entered which is the responsibility of the CENSUS board then all these talk about another round of CENSUS exercise which to me is total waste of funds. Continues bio metric is the way forward all merge into one. Not National Identity is registering, Census on the other hand, and so on.
Wat d ffuck is he talking about gan?? Do you even undastad yaself, guy?? *smdh*

1 Like

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 24, 2014
Yomieluv: Good initiative,but why can't we have universal bio metric bank,where information about a person can easily be obtained..

With that,crime can be curbed,and many identity issue thrashed out.

Its a welcome development.
That is EXACTLY what the NIMC has done. The biometric bank is warehoused at Abuja. When the project is completed, all other agencies of govt that had collected similar biometrics will be collapsed into the NIMC National e-ID platform. So that in future, whether in a bank, FRSC, INEC, etc all you have to do is mention your NATIONAL IDENTITY NUMBER and the relevant agency of govt or organisation will use that to confirm your identity via the NIMC biometric data bank. That is why they say the NUMBER IS YOUR IDENTITY. That is the goal.

6 Likes

Re: A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card by taharqa: 10:05am On Aug 24, 2014
whatlyf: This is Just another ponzi scheme by the Jonathan administration. Why use commercial organization to issue the card? Why use Banks and Mastercard? This government is a fraudulent one. Nigerians openn your eyes.

By the way, of what benefit is the new scheme to our immediate challenges as a Nation? We are complaining of lack of jobs yet the fraudulent government outsourced our ID Scheme to a foreign organization-Mastercard. This will only enrich the Americans. Beside, who controls the database? How can our Database be with Americans? Why mastercard? Why not use a local ICT firm with the NIMC as an Agency supervising its work? We all know that they can't supervise the Americans. This government of fraud and deceit is killing us. We must stop them
My gad!! ... NL get hyperactive OLODOs flenti flenti sha!!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

RIP: Poem In Honour Of Wing Commander Chimda Hedima.. / Photos: Imagine The Road Of The Popular Shoe Plaza(bakassi) Aba. / Buhari Breaks Silence Over ‘lopsided Appointments’, Says Chibok Girls Dispersed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.