Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt (2106 Views)

Photo: Only Illitrates Are Impressed When Fayose Speaks.obasanjo Laments / This Buhari's Tweet On Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan Has Got Everyone Talking(pic / Remi Babalola: I Left Jonathan’s Govt Because Of Financial Mismanagement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Realtouchnot: 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2014
Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday lamented the state of poverty under the
President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, saying the middle class has
been destroyed by the economic situation.
According to the former president, “A distress text message received by me
from a Nigerian requesting for financial assistance clearly indicated that the
middle class era has been destroyed by the economic situation.”
Obasanjo likened the present state of the economy to the one witnessed under
the military junta headed by the late General Sani Abacha.
The former president, who addressed a group of traders who were on a
courtesy visit to his Abeokuta residence, read the Save Our Soul (SOS)
message he (Obasanjo) received to the traders, saying: “I told him (the text
message sender) that we have experienced this period during the time of
Abacha, all the middle class was completely destroyed.”
He said the development notwithstanding, the situation did not change his
conviction that “tough time do not last forever, and when tough times come,
tough people get going. We will keep going and we will survive this tough
time.”
Obasanjo narrated the story of a military personnel who could not afford to buy
a brand new car, which he said was a surprise to him.
“I was surprised the day a colonel in the army came to me, complaining that he
and his family could not afford to buy a car,” he said.
He also gave another example about a medical doctor’s family that had to
relocate to the Arabian country to survive.
“A friend of mine, Dr. Okoro, a medical doctor, his wife was also a medical
doctor and they have a daughter who is a medical doctor too. Between the
three of them, they could not afford a new car, they had to go to Saudi Arabia.
But I pray we will not have such a time in Nigeria,” he said.
While responding to the request of the traders on the way forward especially
ahead of the 2015 political dispensation, he said Nigerians have to be alert and
vigilant on the situation.
He said: “We have to be at alert. To be forewarned is to be fore armed, if we will
get ourselves out of the morals we find ourselves in, it has to be done by each
and every one of us.
“We all have contribution to make and should not leave our responsibility on
others to do. If we fail to participate in things that are meaningfully positive for
this country, you will be a victim and we all become victims.”
Obasanjo said as far as the next political dispensation is concerned, he could
not decide yet, resorting on spiritual guidance for help.
He said: “As for me, we don’t know where we are going yet, may God show us
the way. The way that will take this country and make it a great one, and when,
for me, I understand and I see the way, I will tell you. I pray that God will show
me the way, may God show you the way.”
However, leader of the delegation and National President of the Nigerian
Market/Traders Council, Mrs. Funsho Osho, said the visit was meant to get the
direction of the former president on the 2015 elections.
She said the council had tremendous support from the former president during
his eight year rule “as such, we deem it necessary and as a mark of respect to
come and find out on which direction we are going.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/obasanjo-laments-level-of-poverty-under-jonathan-s-govt/187288/
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by ugoezeik(m): 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
Is dis man call obasanjo still relevant in naija politics? If naija is a country where things work he and his colleagues suppose to don dey cool their heals for kirikiri prison by now. Mtchewwwww

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Realtouchnot: 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
That's Naija na. But his influence has waned
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by koboko69: 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
ugoezeik: Is dis man call obasanjo still relevant in naija politics? If naija is a country where things work he and his colleagues suppose to don dey cool their heals for kirikiri prison by now. Mtchewwwww

He is not relevant but 1000 pastors what to reconcile him with Jonathan, he is not relevant yet PDP's BOT chairman ran to his hill top residence as soon as he assumed office.

Obj is no saint but wht he said is 100% fact.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by comos: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2014
koboko69:
He is not relevant but 1000 pastors what to reconcile him with Jonathan, he is not relevant yet PDP's BOT chairman ran to his hill top residence as soon as he assumed office.
If he is relevant as you say, what role is he occupying in PDP at the moment?

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by theassassin: 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
Chai imagine obj dey tok about poor GOVT

Chai naija don suffer

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by tit(f): 4:13pm On Aug 25, 2014
i heard that obasanjo is the first army man to get a bullet in his buttocks as he was running from the enemy.
that is the story i heard at NA depot.
is it true?
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by oderemo(m): 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
Obj shuld enjoy his loot in peace.
8 yrs of political dictorship and nothing to show for it.
Masquerading third agenda into a life tym President.
Pls don't rub it in oga obj.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by aljharem(m): 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
Lol like ram like goat. They are all the same
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by chidexy(m): 11:04pm On Aug 25, 2014
koboko69:

Remind me again, what exactly did Obasanjo say in this report?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Leboska(m): 11:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
koboko69:

In a free & fair election he can not win local government election. If you say na lie check they results of the last general election
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 26, 2014
angry hypocrite
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 26, 2014
I dont know about others but my family is definitely better now than we were during the Abacha or OBJ days.

Generally, in terms of profession, the following professions are better off today- doctors, health workers in general, lecturers, media professionals, workers in the oil and gas sector, railway workers, workers in the telecomm industry, small and medium businesses, entertainment, etc. We also have more emerging private sector billionaires, like the Dangote, Ndidi Elumelu, Cosmos Maduka, etc. Even those that are into farming and workers in the power sector are gradually coming up. The bankers were not so lucky because of the crazy policies of Sanusi.

Maybe OBJ was refering to his own situation

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by OtunbaJega: 6:12am On Aug 26, 2014
Sincere9gerian: I dont know about others but my family is definitely better now than we were during the Abacha or OBJ days.

Generally, in terms of profession, the following professions are better off today- doctors, health workers in general, lecturers, media professionals, workers in the oil and gas sector, railway workers, workers in the telecomm industry, small and medium businesses, entertainment, etc. We also have more emerging private sector billionaires, like the Dangote, Ndidi Elumelu, Cosmos Maduka, etc. Even those that are into farming and workers in the power sector are gradually coming up. The bankers were not so lucky because of the crazy policies of Sanusi.

Maybe OBJ was refering to his own situation

your family must be crime personified + your comment indicates your alarming level of stupidity

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by chinazaekperem: 6:19am On Aug 26, 2014
OBJ shouldn't be a spokesman for poor people in jonathan's administration, he also impoverished this nation, I know I know, some people will tell me about GSM, he made sure every nigerian had a cellphone so N1 can go to his account per N100 subscription. OBJ is a crook himself, he's just like a pseudo-PDP member now, most of his comment now favour APC. I spit on him

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 6:28am On Aug 26, 2014
OtunbaJega:

your family must be crime personified + your comment indicates your alarming level of stupidity
Speak for yourself. Tell us, during the Abacha or OBJ days did you have free MB to browse the internet like you do today? Was there anything like NL where you can rant all day, pouring out your frustrations on other innocent Nigerians? Tell us, are you or your family poorer today than you were in those days?

As for me, I am better off. I dont know about you.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by ultraGM: 6:47am On Aug 26, 2014
ugoezeik: Is dis man call obasanjo still relevant in naija politics? If naija is a country where things work he and his colleagues suppose to don dey cool their heals for kirikiri prison by now. Mtchewwwww

For what reason

tit: i heard that obasanjo is the first army man to get a bullet in his buttocks as he was running from the enemy.
is it true?

Will you survive it or still be walking straight if it were you
-------------

Sometimes ago i heard that Obasanjo, after his tenure and heard that noting is been done in the Power sector after much money was spent on it, he later on decided to investigate the matter himself. He did ask alot of questions from a lot of people, what he later discovered was:

All equipment bought were abandon at port uncleared infact those item were also overpriced. My question is if those equipment bought by PHCN or NEPA were abandon at port without been utilize, it is for what purpose and by whose command?

OBJ Prepare the ground for Umar Musa Yaradua to Succeed, He Started A lot of Project and Allocate Money into those Project, for Example NIPP (Power Project) was to be completed by Yaradua this year (2014) and Nigeria will enjoy at least 12hrs UPS. OBJ sacrifice his reputation to prosper the next Administration (Yaradua/Goodluck) by increasing the fuel price we all remember that, few weeks into power Yaradua reduces it. Now the succeding Administration mismanage everything and we all involve OBJ in the blame.
The foreign reserved, under who administration was it spent, Why did the NIPP project could be completed this year as projected under GEJ Administration.

Despite the fact that it appears that OBJ looked like bad leader because he sacrifice his reputation, that doesnt mean GEJ has done much or up to what he has achived
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by kernel504(m): 7:04am On Aug 26, 2014
If it were in the western world, men like him don't speak.
Was it not this same man that his son, Gbenga, accused of having an affair with his wife?
A man who's wife tagged "mean", the daughter described him as "evil".
Who appropriated $35 billion to power, we are all witness to the epileptic power supply we all experience during his tenure.
A man who wants North to occupy the sit of presidency come 2015;
General Obasanjo, you are the enemy of the people.
Remember how you placed embargo on most Igbo businesses without any local alternative as solution to the deficit.
Please can you tell the people why you seized ,Ibeto's ship load of cement, it took the intervention of the house to release it after months.
Baba you are certified wicked.
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 26, 2014
ultraGM:

For what reason

-------------

Sometimes ago i heard that Obasanjo, after his tenure and heard that noting is been done in the Power sector after much money was spent on it, he later on decided to investigate the matter himself. He did ask alot of questions from a lot of people, what he later discovered was:

All equipment bought were abandon at port uncleared infact those item were also overpriced. My question is if those equipment bought by PHCN or NEPA were abandon at port without been utilize, it is for what purpose and by whose command?

OBJ Prepare the ground for Umar Musa Yaradua to Succeed, He Started A lot of Project and Allocate Money into those Project, for Example NIPP (Power Project) was to be completed by Yaradua this year (2014) and Nigeria will enjoy at least 12hrs UPS. OBJ sacrifice his reputation to prosper the next Administration (Yaradua/Goodluck) by increasing the fuel price we all remember that, few weeks into power Yaradua reduces it. Now the succeding Administration mismanage everything and we all involve OBJ in the blame.
The foreign reserved, under who administration was it spent, Why did the NIPP project could be completed this year as projected under GEJ Administration.

Despite the fact that it appears that OBJ looked like bad leader because he sacrifice his reputation, that doesnt mean GEJ has done much or up to what he has achived

But OBJ had 8 solid years to work and do whatever he wanted. 8 years is not 8 months. Going by your submission, perhaps GEJ should also use his 8 years to prepare the ground for his successor since all those in power now do is prepare ground.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 26, 2014
I wonder who Obasanjo is complaining to. He indirectly caused the alarming rate of poverty in the land by giving us a clueless and corrupt person to rule Nigeria. He should tidy up the mess he created.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by shizzleStar: 7:30am On Aug 26, 2014
obasanjo talking rubbish since 2011.
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by chinazaekperem: 7:31am On Aug 26, 2014
berem: I wonder who Obasanjo is complaining to. He indirectly caused the alarming rate of poverty in the land by giving us a clueless and corrupt person to rule Nigeria. He should tidy up the mess he created.
and I suppose you mean OBJ isn't corrupt himself undecided
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 26, 2014
chinazaekperem: and I suppose you mean OBJ isn't corrupt himself undecided
Obasanjo might be corrupt but he was never clueless and incompetent just like what his predeccesor is now.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Realtouchnot: 7:41am On Aug 26, 2014
I wonder why some Nigerians are loyal to evil and corrupt leaders. Well, we haven't had any good leader so they judge based on the available options.
God bless Nigeria!
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by chinazaekperem: 7:54am On Aug 26, 2014
berem: Obasanjo might be corrupt but he was never clueless and incompetent just like what his predeccesor is now.
jonathan isn't clueless, maybe you should take time in studying the underground games been played about all these security quagmire, we nigerians make comments based on the surface outcome without knowing the actual cause and the person to be held responsible. Haven studied the conflict, I guess the northern leaders are making that sit unbearable for GEJ, their aim is to make him look incompetent, I guess they are achieving it.
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 26, 2014
chinazaekperem: jonathan isn't clueless, maybe you should take time in studying the underground games been played about all these security quagmire, we nigerians make comments based on the surface outcome without knowing the actual cause and the person to be held responsible. Haven studied the conflict, I guess the northern leaders are making that sit unbearable for GEJ, their aim is to make him look incompetent, I guess they are achieving it.
. Keep passing the blame games to whom it may concern while his incompetence keeps waxing strong. If he doesn't blame northern leaders,he is blaming APC.

Smh sad sad

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by chinazaekperem: 9:04am On Aug 26, 2014
berem: . Keep passing the blame games to whom it may concern while his incompetence keeps waxing strong. If he doesn't blame northern leaders,he is blaming APC.

Smh sad sad
APC and Northern leaders are like bread and butter, the are working hand-in-hand to frustrate this government.
Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by tomakint: 9:26am On Aug 26, 2014
tit: i heard that obasanjo is the first army man to get a bullet in his buttocks as he was running from the enemy.
is it true?
....very very true and he remains the only war commander who never won any battle.....don't ask me just read Alabi Isama's 'Tragedy of Victory..........' (his own war account on Nigeria-Biafra War).

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Laments Level Of Poverty Under Jonathan’s Govt by ugoezeik(m): 11:34am On Aug 26, 2014
ultraGM:

For what reason

-------------

after all dis grammar now wats ur point. Dat Jona has failed?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

APC Governorship Ticket In Lagos Akinwunmi Ambode Not A Lagosian,jamb(Photo) / Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget / PDP Chieftains Ask Jonathan To Prepare For 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.