Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,100 members, 7,835,705 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget (2117 Views)

Aregbesola Impeachment: Osun Assembly Sends Him Judge's Petition / Okonjo-iweala To Buhari: You Must Do Something About Oil Cartel / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala To Talk To Christiane Amanpour Tonight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Franchise21(m): 7:00pm On Dec 16, 2014
At a time of intense tension between Nigeria’s executive
and legislative arms of government, President Goodluck
Jonathan confirmed Tuesday he will not be presenting the
2015 budget proposal personally to the National Assembly,
in a move that appears aimed at avoiding a possible
backlash from lawmakers.
Mr. Jonathan has mandated finance minister, Ngozi
Okonjo-Iweala, to do the presentation on his behalf.
Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala will present the budget Wednesday,
separately to the Senate and the House of Representatives,
both houses of parliament announced Tuesday.
Lawmakers have been furious at Mr. Jonathan after police
launched a humiliating raid on the National Assembly in
November, firing tear gas as they attempted to stop speaker
of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, for
entering the building.
The government and the ruling Peoples Democratic Party,
PDP, have been angry with Mr. Tambuwal after he
defected to the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC.
Mr. Jonathan has not categorically denied knowledge of the
police siege, although his office claimed the police acted
right to check an alleged assault on the National Assembly
by hoodlums.
Lawmakers have been more infuriated after nearly half of
them lost out at the primaries of the two major parties in
the last two weeks.
The lawmakers blame the president for failing to help
them return in 2015.
Aggrieved senators blame the Senate president, David
Mark, amid reports some legislators planned to move
against Mr. Mark.
A letter written by President Jonathan to the Senate and
the House of Representatives Tuesday said the presentation
of the budget will be done by Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala.
Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala did the presentation on behalf of the
president in 2013. At the time, there were concerns over
oil price benchmark and the venue of the joint sitting.
Mr. Jonathan said his new request is based on the
provisions of Section 81 (1) of the constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended.
The president requested that the Senate grant entry to Mrs.
Okonjo-Iweala during its plenary meeting.
Mr. Jonathan submitted a revised version of the 2015-2017
Medium Term Expenditure Framework, MTEF, which had
earlier been sent in twice and withdrawn each time.
The president noted that after the last submission, oil
prices fell immensely.
He said the decision of Oil Producing and Exporting
Countries, OPEC, at their meeting in Vienna, November 27,
not to cut production to support the price, led to the fall in
the oil price to below $70 per barrel.
President Jonathan stated that these developments in the
international oil market had called for further revisions
and amendments to the MTEF.
“I hereby forward copies of the revised 2015-2017 MTEF
for kind consideration of distinguished members of the
Senate and hope it would be considered and approved
expeditiously in order to bring the 2015 federal
government of Nigeria budget preparation process to quick
closure,” he wrote.
The president urged the senate to consider and approve
the MTEF proposal and the budget.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/173353-jonathan-dodges-national-assembly-sends-okonjo-iweala-present-2015-budget.html
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by yuncka: 7:06pm On Dec 16, 2014
Hmmmn, fowl don mess, ground don dey chase am.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 16, 2014
POOR HEADLINE!!sorry I didn't bother reading!! fake journalists in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Arch1: 7:14pm On Dec 16, 2014
shadowgwalker:
POOR HEADLINE!!sorry I didn't bother reading!! fake journalists in Nigeria.
You didnt bother to read the article and you came to the conclusion that fake journalists wrote it

FYI, the budget would be presented on the floor of the house tomorrow and your president has sent the finance minister to do that in his stead

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Eziachi: 7:16pm On Dec 16, 2014
There is nothing wrong about finance minister presenting details of the budget she articulated.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 16, 2014
Arch1:
You did t bother to read the article and you came to the conclusion that fake journalists wrote it

FYI, the budget would be presented on the floor of the house tomorrow and your president has sent the finance minister to do that in his stead
Well he hasn't breached any provision of the constitution by doing that or has he?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Descartes: 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2014
Who prepared the budget? undecided

Is it not the presidency? undecided

And NOI is part and parcel of the presidency as well as a member of the Economic team, so why the FUSS? undecided

Next!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by SweetJoystick(m): 7:26pm On Dec 16, 2014
Weak man

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 16, 2014
Descartes:

And NOI is part and parcel of the presidency as well as a member of the Economic team, so why the FUSS? undecided

Next!!! cool
Much ado about nothing brother.
I need them to tell us which provision of the 1999 Constitution Jonathan has breached doing that.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Adminisher: 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2014
Why is Jonathan committing impeachable offences?. Why is he letting down his misguided supporters?.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Arch1: 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2014
APContherun:

Well he hasn't breached any provision of the constitution by doing that or has he?
I dont know and i see nothing wrong in the finance minister presenting the budget, however, my comment is in response to the poster i quoted who insinuated that the article was fake

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Descartes: 7:33pm On Dec 16, 2014
APContherun:

Much ado about nothing brother.
I need them to tell us which provision of the 1999 Constitution Jonathan has breached doing that.

I wonder how these people reason, he delegated NOI to do the job for him and they are crying foul angry

All their plan is to boo him at their Legislooting chambers in other to keep the public entertained but unfortunately for them GEJ is too smart to fall for their antics wink

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Adminisher: 7:35pm On Dec 16, 2014
Descartes:

Next!!! cool

We need to educate ourselves? NOI is part of government but not part of the Presidency. Please check your dictionary and your constitution.

Jonathan cannot delegate presidential functions to the minister of finance. The Vice President is ''part of the presidency'' to borrow your expression and should be the one to read it if the President is too SHY to read the speech before hostile legislators.

GEJ has again proven Obasanjo right like he always does that there are five presidents (all women) in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2014
Adminisher:
Why is Jonathan committing impeachable offences?. Why is he letting down his misguided supporters?.
Which provision of the constitution has he breached with this young man?
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Descartes: 7:45pm On Dec 16, 2014
Adminisher:

We need to educate ourselves? NOI is part of government but not part of the Presidency. Please check your dictionary and your constitution.

Jonathan cannot delegate presidential functions to the minister of finance. The Vice President is ''part of the presidency'' to borrow your expression and should be the one to read it if the President is too SHY to read the speech before hostile legislators.

GEJ has again proven Obasanjo right like he always does that there are five presidents (all women) in Nigeria.

Thanks @bolded.
But is NOI under the Presidency, just want to know?

I understand your point but then again... if you feel aggrieved by his actions you can go to court and seek for REDRESS
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by theM16: 7:47pm On Dec 16, 2014
Descartes:

I wonder how these people reason, he delegated NOI to do the job for him and they are crying foul angry

All their plans is to boo him at their Legislooting chambers in other to keep the public entertained but unfortunately for them GEJ is too smart to fall for their antics wink

Lol. U need to b smarter my guy. U r too defensive to win any argument. Who is cryin foul? Dt was jst a piece of news up there! If Jonathan goes or not, he is d president, there is nothing anyone of them can do to him. So easy man

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Descartes: 7:48pm On Dec 16, 2014
theM16:

Lol. U need to b smarter my guy. U r too defensive to win any argument. Who is cryin foul? Dt was jst a piece of news up there! If Jonathan goes or not, he is d president, there is nothing anyone of them can do to him. So easy man

K
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Adminisher: 7:51pm On Dec 16, 2014
APContherun:

Which provision of the constitution has he breached with this young man?

None. But this is another low in how much disrespect he is showing for his office. The VP at least should have been mandated to read the budget. The president is the one 'we' sorry ...'they' voted. It is even better if the budget were not read at all than sending the MOF, I don't think anything in the constitution says budgets have to be verbally read.... the US president does not read budget proposals, he sends it as a letter to congress and Senate. Interestingly the US has not had a single budget in the last four years since Obama came into office. It has been short term expenditure agreements.
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 16, 2014
Eziachi:
There is nothing wrong abojut finance minister presenting details of the budget she articulated.
Gbam
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2014
Adminisher:

Please stop misinforming some people who may look up to you for information. The President can assign any minister any responsibility including as you say presidential functions. Section 148 (1) of the 1999 constitution is very clear on that. read it and cure yourself of the disease of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 16, 2014
Arch1:
You didnt bother to read the article and you came to the conclusion that fake journalists wrote it

wHATEVER!!still poor! your choice of title for the headline is wack!you don't even know the activities or assignments he has, you just prepare a message for the public to believe because you know he has lots of haters and you wanna also get your pride by gaining attention from your fellow dry haters. don't get it twisted, I don't fancy his negative works but this your story is uncalled for.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by englishmart(m): 8:08pm On Dec 16, 2014
some days are like that. The president is too busy these days..
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2014
a undecided
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 16, 2014
sweetpenis:
Weak man
prove it!

he didn't dash you money, that's why grin
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by CyberWolf: 8:13pm On Dec 16, 2014
APContherun:

Please stop misinforming some people who may look up to you for information. The President can assign any minister any responsibility including as you say presidential functions. Section 148 (1) of the 1999 constitution is very clear on that. read it and cure yourself of the disease of ignorance.
that guy is a sophisticated clown..
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Adminisher: 8:14pm On Dec 16, 2014
APContherun:

No minister is going to take on Head of State functions and Commander In Chief of the Armed force functions.
It is your mandate we are talking about dont take the attitude that because you are Ibo or Ijaw you will support your brother blindly.
I have already conceded that it is not unconstitutional for the minister to read the budget. It is not even unconstitutional not to read the budget at all.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 16, 2014
How do you present a budget to scallywags. People who jump fences like thugs.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by personal59: 8:25pm On Dec 16, 2014
Hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 16, 2014
Adminisher:

No minister is going to take on Head of State functions and Commander In Chief of the Armed force functions.
It is your mandate we are talking about dont take the attitude that because you are Ibo or Ijaw you will support your brother blindly.
I have already conceded that it is not unconstitutional for the minister to read the budget. It is not even unconstitutional not to read the budget at all.
I didn't write the constitution that empowers him to assign responsibilities to ministers at his own discretion so I don't know what you fretting about.
May I ask you to list what the functions of the Head of State and C-i-C are that can't be delegated. Hope you know the President performs his functions of Commander in Chief through the Service Chiefs, Minister of Defence, IG of Police etc?
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by mistabiola: 9:48pm On Dec 16, 2014
Let's #TakeBackNigeria...#‎iNewNigeria‬

It is definitely NOT the #‎TIME‬ to Sit on the FENCE. It is the Time for US all to get Involved in the #iNewNigeria Project.

Here comes the Time to #‎TakeBackNigeria‬ from the hands of some group of Dishonourable Cliques, worse than Armed ROBBERS, who have for long pauperize Us. The Time is NOW or Never!!!

We need Fresh People with Fresh and Refreshing IDEAS at the Helm of Our Affairs. Thus, it is High Time We Elected Prudent, TRANSPARENT, and Dedicated LEADERS to Lead Our DEAR Nation #‎NIGERIA‬.

Walk the Walk with ME #iStand4NewNigeria.

Get Your PVC....and Let's #TakeBackNigeria.

#‎iThink‬ | #‎iBelieve‬ | #iNewNigeria

~ Adeoye "#iNewNigeria" Abiola, 16/12/2014.
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by Jhydey192(m): 9:50pm On Dec 16, 2014
Pussy
Re: Jonathan Dodges National Assembly, Sends Okonjo-iweala To Present 2015 Budget by EdCure: 9:58pm On Dec 16, 2014
Descartes:

All their plan is to boo him at their Legislooting chambers in other to keep the public entertained but unfortunately for them GEJ is too smart to fall for their antics wink
Would anyone want to boo Jonathan if he was smart?

Jonathan is too afraid, timid and insecure to stand before the parliament. He could not even help fooling himself during a presidential media chat organised inside Aso Rock.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Faces Post-election Gloom: Treasury Emptied, Retrenchment Looms. / Monthly Subscription: DSTV Should Add Daily Subscription Option. / Pix Of Saraki When He Was A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.