Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. (4485 Views)

Batch A 2015 Corpers Where Is Your PPA / NYSC 2013/2014 Batch C, Where Is Your PPA! / Batch A 2013 Corpers Where Is Your PPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 9:29pm On Aug 25, 2014
Now you are leaving the camp your monthly
allowance is N19800.

Some working class citizen/graduate do not earn
such amount, see it as a big money even if it is
chicken change to you, assume/pretend it’s a
huge sum and spend it jealously because this
money can earn you good fortune.

Here are the ways to spend your money
jealously

1. set a target: Set a target on the amount you
want to save monthly from your allowance 5000,
8000, 10000. Do the calculation yourself and see
how much you’ll earn during your service year.
You can even save beyond 10000 if you are
posted to a village.

2. Understand the different between want and
need: that you want something does not mean
you need it at the moment. After receiving the
first allowance some corpers will go for irrelevant
things like expensive (more than half of their
allowance) phone, shoes, iPhone out of the
allowance. There is nothing wrong with this but
before going for these. Think! (Will this stuff be
an asset or liability) if it will serve as an asset,
good! Go for it. If otherwise ignore it and
discipline yourself.
It is a known fact that as you grow older your
toy becomes expensive but you need to be
careful and make use of good your scale of
preference.

3. Control your eating habit: don’t eat anyhow,
eating from a canteen where a plate of food is
200 and you don’t cook, you eat there. If l
assumes you eat twice in a day that is 400 per
day for a month you have spent 12000 on
feeding alone. You are left with 7800, there are
other needs. So buy food stuff, stove, pot etc
with your first allowance. If you don’t know how
to cook, that is not a crime, meet your mates in
the lodge they’ll put you through and you’ll see
it as an opportunity to learn. I spent my service
year eating what l wants not what l sees. I
cooked and eat decent food.

4. Self dependent: it is good to be friendly but
don’t let friends take advantage of you. I know of
a lodge where corpers will contribute money to a
girl, just for cooking. It is not wrong but don’t
make it a regular thing there are differences
between” I OWN
‘ and” WE OWN”. Buy what you’ll need and keep
it jealously.
By the time you buy foods stuff together and
there you have a female corper to cook, that is
where deliberation of what to eat starts coming
in, you wait for someone at times before
everyone eat. Just like partnership in business.
Except you can be mature enough to handle it,
do not settle for that.

5.falling in lust: don’t date your fellow corper if
you know it will not lead to marriage as most of
them will help you spend your money and keep
their own in the name of love. Don’t be
deceived! You can imagine! Paying someone
recharge card money, hairdresser’s money, cloth
money, body cream money, feeding a guy that
claimed he did not receive alert., the list is
endless…he/she may have a fiancé you are just
an assistance boyfriend/girlfriend. And for some
smart guys they’ll eat the girl dry and complain
of being a debtor.
If you believe you can save 10000 with a corper
girlfriend/boyfriend and you are the one taking
care of the financial aspect. Then you’ll believe
it, if l say shekau will become pope in Rome. It
is a game there must be a loser.

6. Skills: these are the things you should have
discovered in yourself before leaving school. God
have settled every one of us. You either acquire
skills or you have inborn skills. So develop it, all
you need is packaging. I earn what my three
month allowance will not yield in a month when l
used my skills. Even though l said earlier that
you should assume that N19800 is a huge
amount. Think of earning more than that in a
month on your own. How? Mind your own
business.

7. Grow up: you are not a kid again forget your
age, do not deceive yourself. Stop calling your
parent for help financially stand on your own,
take responsibility of your own action and they
will be proud of you. You will also feel fulfilled
and believe that the future, is for you to manage
and not your parent.

8. Inferiority complex: IC is when with your
19800 Monthly allowance without other source of
income.
You are saving to buy iphone, phantom A etc..to
replace you android/nokia phone.
You feel your fellow corpers eat chicken
everyday and that is what you want too.(oloju
kokoro)
You want other corper to rate you high compare
to anyone in spending. Don’t live a nollywood
actor/actress life style. I call it borrowed life
style. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t aim high.

9. BUSINESS: If you can manage that 19800k
for your needs and business, if you get 19.8B
managing it and establishing a reliable business
will not be hard, but if with this little money, you
can do nothing then you will fail even if you have
the whole world. At times I borrow my allowance
for business and I make sure I return it in due
time.

10. HELP PEOPLE: Be eager to help people
financially, physically even spiritually. Don’t be
stingy, especially your sibling and parent. That
you have today does no guaranty that you will
have tomorrow. Do these and you will earn their
respect. It has been working for me, when I give,
I get in return.

With these steps I was able to save my N19800
for each month during my service days. I never
for one day regrets doing what l did then.

Thank you for giving me your time.

Abifarin bukola P. aka Sure Way
Graduated from futminna
Batch A 2013
Served in karaye local gov’t
Kano state.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by tlanry: 9:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
You spoke my mind

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by Engrcharlesid(m): 11:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
Nice one ...u too much bro

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by ajoskele(m): 5:00am On Aug 26, 2014
Baba, make I clear u mata....person noh fit save dat alawe if u no get other source(s) of income. Like u put am say make dem buy foodstuff, noh be sontin dem go dey use chop am? Abi make dem just cook rice chop am like dat?
U noh dey recharge ur fone? If ur younger ones(extended family dey oo) ask u for airtym, u noh go sort dem? U noh dey subscribe? Abi noh be data u take post dis "lovely" message"?
U noh dey "carry" bike or "wear" cab? Abi na trekkin u go do for one good year?
So those shoes and clothes(even underwears) wey u bring from house u go use for d whole year? Even if d clothes don dey smile for shoulder?

I'm not living a miserly and miserable life @my PPA. I made up my mind I was going to live a very comfortable life throughout my NYSC year. I know of a corps member who can ask one for anything except maybe one's head, yet he claims he knows the number of bridges he crossed before getting here(all in the name of saving). Now he has a bad rep amongst corps members here

Corpers wee, live a comfortable service life, save at your convenience and network(make good friends that you will need later in life).
Your saved alawe WILL not determine your future!

6 Likes

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 7:41am On Aug 26, 2014
ajoskele: Baba, make I clear u mata....person noh fit save dat alawe if u no get other source(s) of income. Like u put am say make dem buy foodstuff, noh be sontin dem go dey use chop am? Abi make dem just cook rice chop am like dat?
U noh dey recharge ur fone? If ur younger ones(extended family dey oo) ask u for airtym, u noh go sort dem? U noh dey subscribe? Abi noh be data u take post dis "lovely" message"?
So those shoes and clothes(even underwears) wey u bring from house u go use for d whole year? Even if d clothes don dey smile for shoulder?

I'm not living a miserly and miserable life @my PPA. I made up my mind I was going to live a very comfortable life throughout my NYSC year. I know of a corps member who can ask one for anything except maybe one's head, yet he claims he knows the number of bridges he crossed before getting here(all in the name of saving). Now he has a bad rep amongst corps members here

Corpers wee, live a comfortable service life, save at your convenience and network(make good friends that you will need later in life).

these are what my fellow corpers told me then...just to discourage me...so l got your angle and l know where you are coming from..all you have said are the plain truth,...but you still need to know the distinct different between want and need..
for me l don't play with my stomach. l just have enough food stuff...you mention taking bike yeah l took bike but there were places l could easily trek to l am still young so l trek...l did not subscribe then to me it was a waste of fund, it does not give me anything in return....today l can subscribe for 10giggs even if it will not yield anything..the time you use for brousing the net look for something doing that will earn you money
even if its five cloth put it in good shape and pple will respect.
service year is not all about living a comfortable life its all about preparing yourself for the future..

l have friends who spent that year in comfort, they left with their last alawe. since February till date some are still looking for job. for those with job some still earn 20k..

the only things my fellow corper did not accuse me of is begging..even if it is 5k monthly its something....60K.

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by computerboy: 11:55am On Aug 26, 2014
sureway1:

these are what my fellow corpers told me then...just to discourage me...so l got your angle and l know where you are coming from..all you have said are the plain truth,...but you still need to know the distinct different between want and need..
for me l don't play with my stomach. l just have enough food stuff...you mention taking bike yeah l took bike but there were places l could easily trek to l am still young so l trek...l did not subscribe then to me it was a waste of fund, it does not give me anything in return....today l can subscribe for 10giggs even if it will not yield anything..the time you use for brousing the net look for something doing that will earn you money
service year is not all about living a comfortable life its all about preparing yourself for the future..

l have friends who spent that year in comfort, they left with their last alawe. since February till date some are still looking for job. for those with job some still earn 20k..

the only things my fellow corper did not accuse me of is begging..even if it is 5k monthly its something....60K.
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by computerboy: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2014
sureway1:

OP your advice is worth millions. Thanks, waiting on batch c14 by God's grace, I'll follow your lead. I have a friend like the one described (finished since February but no job) and that is what I don't want in my life. I just pray to get a favorable ppa with a modest cost of living. But what biz do you do now?
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 1:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
computerboy:

OP your advice is worth millions. Thanks, waiting on batch c14 by God's grace, I'll follow your lead. I have a friend like the one described (finished since February but no job) and that is what I don't want in my life. I just pray to get a favorable ppa with a modest cost of living. But what biz do you do now?

you are welcome my bro...today l am a salary earner..courtesy to the internet....during service l uploaded all my activities....l supply/teach and repair musical instrument..

service year

l was posted to a place with moslem as majority..bad market for me...so l decided to do my best at my ppa to the extend that my headmaster started giving me free leave to do my business l did not abuse that privilege..at time l rejects the offer..any time l get an appointment l will travel do my job and get back to work before the designated date..when l get back l don't bribe the man...l will organise competition and give the children gift both winners and losers..

with the help of my uploaded pics.(one of the contract l got to teach musical instruments in a sch). while serving l received several calls from lagos..

to cut the story short, l rounded off on Thursday(last Thursday in February, l started work the following Monday)..
l still do my business till date.

l ask a friend of his pay l was suprise to hear him say 20k...this is someone that said 19800 was chicken change then...now to compliment himself he said " so that l will not just be sitting at home doing nothing"

you will agree with me that if l were that your friend l will just used what have saved to start up something..
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by computerboy: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
sureway1:

you are welcome my bro...today l am a salary earner..courtesy to the internet....during service l uploaded all my activities....l supply/teach and repair musical instrument..

service year

l was posted to a place with moslem as majority..bad market for me...so l decided to do my best at my ppa to the extend that my headmaster started giving me free leave to do my business l did not abuse that privilege..at time l rejects the offer..any time l get an appointment l will travel do my job and get back to work before the designated date..when l get back l don't bribe the man...l will organise competition and give the children gift both winners and losers..

with the help of my uploaded pics.(one of the contract l got to teach musical instruments in a sch). while serving l received several calls from lagos..

to cut the story short, l rounded off on Thursday(last Thursday in February, l started work the following Monday)..

l ask a friend of his pay l was suprise to hear him say 20k...this is someone that said 19800 was chicken change then...now to compliment himself he said " so that l will not just be sitting at home doing nothing"

you will agree with me that if l were that your friend l will just used what have saved to start up something..

Thanks again.... God bless you.
As for my friend, He already bought an android phone and is using the remaining balance for transport to interviews. He doesn't want my advice cuz he believes he's smarter since he graduated before me.
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by isidollarboy(m): 9:33pm On Aug 26, 2014
sureway1: Now you are leaving the camp your monthly
allowance is N19800.

Some working class citizen/graduate do not earn
such amount, see it as a big money even if it is
chicken change to you, assume/pretend it’s a
huge sum and spend it jealously because this
money can earn you good fortune.

Here are the ways to spend your money
jealously

1. set a target: Set a target on the amount you
want to save monthly from your allowance 5000,
8000, 10000. Do the calculation yourself and see
how much you’ll earn during your service year.
You can even save beyond 10000 if you are
posted to a village.

2. Understand the different between want and
need: that you want something does not mean
you need it at the moment. After receiving the
first allowance some corpers will go for irrelevant
things like expensive (more than half of their
allowance) phone, shoes, iPhone out of the
allowance. There is nothing wrong with this but
before going for these. Think! (Will this stuff be
an asset or liability) if it will serve as an asset,
good! Go for it. If otherwise ignore it and
discipline yourself.
It is a known fact that as you grow older your
toy becomes expensive but you need to be
careful and make use of good your scale of
preference.

3. Control your eating habit: don’t eat anyhow,
eating from a canteen where a plate of food is
200 and you don’t cook, you eat there. If l
assumes you eat twice in a day that is 400 per
day for a month you have spent 12000 on
feeding alone. You are left with 7800, there are
other needs. So buy food stuff, stove, pot etc
with your first allowance. If you don’t know how
to cook, that is not a crime, meet your mates in
the lodge they’ll put you through and you’ll see
it as an opportunity to learn. I spent my service
year eating what l wants not what l sees. I
cooked and eat decent food.

4. Self dependent: it is good to be friendly but
don’t let friends take advantage of you. I know of
a lodge where corpers will contribute money to a
girl, just for cooking. It is not wrong but don’t
make it a regular thing there are differences
between” I OWN
‘ and” WE OWN”. Buy what you’ll need and keep
it jealously.
By the time you buy foods stuff together and
there you have a female corper to cook, that is
where deliberation of what to eat starts coming
in, you wait for someone at times before
everyone eat. Just like partnership in business.
Except you can be mature enough to handle it,
do not settle for that.

5.falling in lust: don’t date your fellow corper if
you know it will not lead to marriage as most of
them will help you spend your money and keep
their own in the name of love. Don’t be
deceived! You can imagine! Paying someone
recharge card money, hairdresser’s money, cloth
money, body cream money, feeding a guy that
claimed he did not receive alert., the list is
endless…he/she may have a fiancé you are just
an assistance boyfriend/girlfriend. And for some
smart guys they’ll eat the girl dry and complain
of being a debtor.
If you believe you can save 10000 with a corper
girlfriend/boyfriend and you are the one taking
care of the financial aspect. Then you’ll believe
it, if l say shekau will become pope in Rome. It
is a game there must be a loser.

6. Skills: these are the things you should have
discovered in yourself before leaving school. God
have settled every one of us. You either acquire
skills or you have inborn skills. So develop it, all
you need is packaging. I earn what my three
month allowance will not yield in a month when l
used my skills. Even though l said earlier that
you should assume that N19800 is a huge
amount. Think of earning more than that in a
month on your own. How? Mind your own
business.

7. Grow up: you are not a kid again forget your
age, do not deceive yourself. Stop calling your
parent for help financially stand on your own,
take responsibility of your own action and they
will be proud of you. You will also feel fulfilled
and believe that the future, is for you to manage
and not your parent.

8. Inferiority complex: IC is when with your
19800 Monthly allowance without other source of
income.
You are saving to buy iphone, phantom A etc..to
replace you android/nokia phone.
You feel your fellow corpers eat chicken
everyday and that is what you want too.(oloju
kokoro)
You want other corper to rate you high compare
to anyone in spending. Don’t live a nollywood
actor/actress life style. I call it borrowed life
style. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t aim high.

9. BUSINESS: If you can manage that 19800k
for your needs and business, if you get 19.8B
managing it and establishing a reliable business
will not be hard, but if with this little money, you
can do nothing then you will fail even if you have
the whole world. At times I borrow my allowance
for business and I make sure I return it in due
time.

10. HELP PEOPLE: Be eager to help people
financially, physically even spiritually. Don’t be
stingy, especially your sibling and parent. That
you have today does no guaranty that you will
have tomorrow. Do these and you will earn their
respect. It has been working for me, when I give,
I get in return.

With these steps I was able to save my N19800
for each month during my service days. I never
for one day regrets doing what l did then.

Thank you for giving me your time.

Abifarin bukola P. aka Sure Way
Graduated from futminna
Batch A 2013
Served in karaye local gov’t
Kano state.
nice advice, serving in kano, batch A 2014, it's not easy but having a target/burget is very necessary. within us we are doing contributions each alawi shows, I think that will also help..
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by ajoskele(m): 11:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
sureway1:

service year

Thought you wrote you didn't subscribe throughout your service year!
I know of people with only the last alawe getting lucrative jobs days after POP and of people that nearly saved all the 19,800 yet couldn't do anything tangible with it.

#Godblessourhustle
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 5:21am On Aug 27, 2014
ajoskele: Thought you wrote you didn't subscribe throughout your service year!
I know of people with only the last alawe getting lucrative jobs days after POP and of people that nearly saved all the 19,800 yet couldn't do anything tangible with it.

#Godblessourhustle

yes you are right..why you need to save is because you might not be fortunate like that person that got a job immediately...and if you get the job immediately after service, then that's a plus for you..

yes l didn't subscribe.

how l uploaded my pics.

then l was using tecno tv30...with etisalat easy cliq you'll be given 15mb if you laod N200 Card..l used that to upload my pics...today l'm using a big phone..

don't rely on your certificate (weather first class or second class) things are fast changing..l have a first class friend without a job..l also have a third class graduate that got a job during service with a good pay.

don't put your trust in man, they can fail you.

please plan for the uncertainty.

there is no lucrative profession this days.....the success of any profession depends on the owner, your destiny is in your hand.

have seen a poor doctor, engineer etc...
just last week a graduate b eng..complained bitterly to me...they are not treating us well in my place of work "how will you be paying a graduate 30k when l talk my colleagues will say l too like money..." l tried to find out who these colleagues are.. you cant imagine fellow graduates!

so l will advice you to cut your coat according to your size...your salary is 19800k..

so change that your idea of service year is a year of comfort....

since my primary school days na em l don dey hear say "life is not a bed of......... you know the rest.

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 5:33am On Aug 27, 2014
my advice to corpers out there....if you are spending your money on something that yield nothing(monetary value)to you. stop it buy books with that money invest on yourself....you can go get this " book rich dad poor dad" we have many of them in market..that will improve your skills in marketing...
if you feel there are nothing tangible to do....
then read.

2 Likes

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by ajoskele(m): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2014
sureway1:

yes you are right..why you need to save is because you might not be fortunate like that person that got a job immediately...and if you get the job immediately after service, then that's a plus for you..

yes l didn't subscribe.

how l uploaded my pics.

then l was using tecno tv30...with etisalat easy cliq you'll be given 15mb if you laod N200 Card..l used that to upload my pics...today l'm using a big phone..

don't rely on your certificate (weather first class or second class) things are fast changing..l have a first class friend without a job..l also have a third class graduate that got a job during service with a good pay.

don't put your trust in man, they can fail you.

please plan for the uncertainty.

there is no lucrative profession this days.....the success of any profession depends on the owner, your destiny is in your hand.

have seen a poor doctor, engineer etc...
just last week a graduate b eng..complained bitterly to me...they are not treating us well in my place of work "how will you be paying a graduate 30k when l talk my colleagues will say l too like money..." l tried to find out who these colleagues are.. you cant imagine fellow graduates!

so l will advice you to cut your coat according to your size...your salary is 19800k..

so change that your idea of service year is a year of comfort....

since my primary school days na em l don dey hear say "life is not a bed of......... you know the rest.
lol...I understand you jare...All fingers are not equal you know.. God help us!

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 10:02am On Aug 27, 2014
ajoskele: lol...I understand you jare...All fingers are not equal you know.. God help us!

wink sure, they are not,

but its always good to have a plan B

....like I said have seen a poor doctor have also seen a wealthy gate man and rich carpenter...
at times I always have the thought of going to sch is like a waste of time, it helps however if as a graduate you are a businessman or you have handwork everyone wants to work with you cos your packaging will be outstanding..learning a trade/handwork is what l fashion most..

today I am using my talent+handwork+business+degree..

God dey bless my work.
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 10:15am On Aug 27, 2014
isidollarboy: nice advice, serving in kano, batch A 2014, it's not easy but having a target/burget is very necessary. within us we are doing contributions each alawi shows, I think that will also help..

sure it will help.

even if it 5k it is something.....with 60k you can start a business...

it just that our problem as graduate is pride....
As far as the business is legal l as a person I dont care...

while my fellow corpers where writing their CV for job... I didnt!
I had the mindset of creating a job..

but when this one came with good payment, I accepted the offer. I still find way to do my business though.
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by herkeym001(m): 10:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
ajoskele: Baba, make I clear u mata....person noh fit save dat alawe if u no get other source(s) of income. Like u put am say make dem buy foodstuff, noh be sontin dem go dey use chop am? Abi make dem just cook rice chop am like dat?

E go beta for you front and back for saying the truth, am 2013 batch C Corper. I was also here last year busy reading tips on how to save up to N150,000 of my Alawee.

These are my excuses why am yet to save any money from my alawee;
1. My PPA doesn't provide accomotion for corpers. I paid N800 for house rent and nepa bill per month.
2. From my house to NYSC secretariat is N100(I.e to and fro will be N200) for every thursdays CDS meeting.
2i. We had 3 general CDS befor it was later cancelled, those general CDS was held at far venue from secretariat all in the course of knowing other places of our Local Government better aside our PPA and secretariat.
2ii. CDS anual due of my CDS (FRSC)is N1,450.
3. I have to buy food stuffs, toiletries, make stew or soup.
4. Mcan monthly due is N500.
5. Miscellaneous expenses e.g buying of recharge cards for call and BB subscription, buying bags of pure water for home drinking, eat snacks outside to surpress hunger etc.
6. Home aplliances like iron, fan, TV and DVD, carpet etc
7. Tap water hardly rush in the community am serving, so, we corpers trek with two empty 25gallons to other community to fetch water but transport it home with N50
8. Let me stop here

These are reasons I think some people save from their Alawee;
1. If you have skills/hand work that brings you money.
2. If your elder brothers and sisters send you money or your parent.
3. If you don't eat much right from home befor going for NYSC or you're a saddist type who don't do anything with anybody.
4. If you eat any kind of food ( this is for village corpers)
5. Etc

Am still serving at EKITI STATE, EPE-EKITI. Though those indegenes do offer me foods but I hate the aroma of their soup I can't even put it to my mouth.

Last bullet: you can hardly save from your Alawee if you don't have external source of money but just only N19,800 Alawee.

3 Likes

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 28, 2014
I didn't save a dot from that meagre stipend. I balled hard and don't/didn't regret it. If you don't have another source of income, invest what you can of it. Of what use is starving yourself with no end value. A more sensible title would be "How To Put Your Allowance To Good Use."
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 1:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
freshdude2: I didn't save a dot from that meagre stipend. I balled hard and don't/didn't regret it. If you don't have another source of income, invest what you can of it. Of what use is starving yourself with no end value. A more sensible title would be "How To Put Your Allowance To Good Use."

just like someone said all fingers are not equal....
if you had saved after your service year you'll not need to bother anyone for transport fare for an interview, cloth......then your family members will respect you..even your father will be proud of you...
but if after service you are calling pple.....

some will stop picking your calls..

dont settle for that..
you are a graduate not a begger.

l dont understand your own defination starving one self.....
l am only trying to tell you to cut your coat according to your size....so as to prepare for the future.
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 1:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
herkeym001:
E go beta for you front and back for saying the truth, am 2013 batch C Corper. I was also here last year busy reading tips on how to save up to N150,000 of my Alawee.

1. My PPA doesn't provide accomotion for corpers. I paid N800 for house rent and nepa bill per month.
2. From my house to NYSC secretariat is N100(I.e to and fro will be N200) for every thursdays CDS meeting.
2i. We had 3 general CDS befor it was later cancelled, those general CDS was held at far venue from secretariat all in the course of knowing other places of our Local Government better aside our PPA and secretariat.
5. Miscellaneous expenses e.g buying of recharge cards for call and BB subscription, buying bags of pure water for home drinking, eat snacks outside to surpress hunger etc.
7. Tap water hardly rush in the community am serving, so, we corpers trek with two empty 25gallons to other community to fetch water but transport it home with N50
8. Let me stop here

3. If you don't eat much right from home befor going for NYSC or you're a saddist type who don't do anything with anybody.
5. Etc

Am still serving at EKITI STATE, EPE-EKITI. Though those indegenes do offer me foods but I hate the aroma of their soup I can't even put it to my mouth.

Last bullet: you can hardly save from your Alawee if you don't have external source of money but just only N19,800 Alawee.
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
herkeym001:

8. Let me stop here

5. Etc

l do not totally agree with your first lists...
there are things you can do without in that list and heaven will not fall that you will not die....
in all you just need to discipline yourself..

you will understand better after your pop..
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 29, 2014
sureway1:

just like someone said all fingers are not equal....
if you had saved after your service year you'll not need to bother anyone for transport fare for an interview, cloth......then your family members will respect you..even your father will be proud of you...
but if after service you are calling pple.....

some will stop picking your calls..

dont settle for that..
you are a graduate not a begger.

l dont understand your own defination starving one self.....
l am only trying to tell you to cut your coat according to your size....so as to prepare for the future.
freshdude2: A more sensible title
would be "How To Put Your Allowance To Good
Use."
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 7:57am On Aug 29, 2014
[quote author=freshdude2][/quote]

you can not put what you don't have into use.....
you'll need to possess it first..
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by ajoskele(m): 4:38pm On Aug 29, 2014
sureway1:

you can not put what you don't have into use.....
you'll need to possess it first..
Are you gaining anything from this your "little advice"? You sound like someone really after something!!
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 9:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
ajoskele: Are you gaining anything from this your "little advice"? You sound like someone really after something!!

sure! I am after being a shinning light in the dark.....to reflect light...some corpers will read all these and achieve something tangible with the aid of what doesn't count to you..I don't know anybody here..when l say help people its cheesy not just in monetary/financial aspect alone...... but I am very sure that have made an Impact...
javascript:void(0);

2 Likes

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by ajoskele(m): 11:31pm On Aug 29, 2014
sureway1:

sure! I am after being a shinning light in the dark.....to reflect light...some corpers will read all these and achieve something tangible with the aid of what doesn't count to you..I don't know anybody here..when l say help people its cheesy not just in monetary/financial aspect alone...... but I am very sure that have made an Impact...
javascript:void(0);
lol...shining light indeed. Why don't you become a blogger? Or you "build" a website. Something like www.corpersmustsavealawe.sureway
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by dechuksman1(m): 6:43am On Oct 31, 2014
sureway1:

Bros I gbadun ur post, don't worry u've indeed shown and also given me a light... This piece of advice is invaluable. I'll contact u so that we can have a heart to heart rapport. When u distinguished between asset and liability I immediately remembered Robert Kiyosaki's rich Dad. Kudos bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by Dahveydson(m): 5:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
I'm presently serving in a 'village' in benue state and I must tell you, saving isn't an easy task especially where u have no other source of income. My advice is save what you can, don't put pressure on yourself, don't put yourself through penury all in the name of saving. Peace!!

1 Like

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by Elisim(f): 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
Hi peeps in the house, I've read all the posts and sincerely everyone is making points. It all boils down to DISCIPLINE... there are people who can accommodate hunger/thirst for sure and there those who cannot for a bit or even try it (1-1-1, 1-0-1, 0-1-1 etc), the elders say hunger do not kill but I tell u it can make u steal if care is not taking, it varies and depends on who you are cos it can even make you take food from your enemy.

The issue of SAVING is a very good idea, I know of people who saved and at the end cldn't make use of the money (died) after passing thru hell to get through it. There are those who saved and at the end it all (savings) went down to paying of hospital bills (not any one's portion)either for themselves or to save the life of a family member, it happens. Then there are those who it really helped out in one way or the other (BUT I AS PERSON WILL NEVER STARVE OR LOOK TATTERED IN THE NAME OF SAVING, I WILL ONLY SAVE WHAT I CAN...)

Sure, we are now in a century where we all thought, desired and wished to have handwork and then degree at the same time as its now presently the trend in town...."everybody show your handwork". There are those who could work and school at the same time (like me) while there are those who can't combine the two. We are all made different and created in variety of ways that is why the GRACE N UNMERRITED FAVOUR of GOD upon each and everyone of us is totally DIFFERENT. Some of us our glory comes in the morning, some at noon, and others evening (I personally prefer evening, so I can leave behind for my generation both born and yet unborn) some are blessed to make it through business (do not use this to judge any other person if you are successful in it), some are blessed to make it from earning salaries (people build houses from salaries they earn and live comfortable more than others, do not use this judge any other person if you are successful in it), others are blessed to make it through handwork (people buy cars and build houses from hair-plaiting, furniture making etc,do not use this to judge any other person if you are successful in it), therefore it boils down to we are all CREATED DIFFERENTLY.

Its just like pastoral work, some are called (and they are successful in it), while some just fix themselves or force themselves into it and you know the rest.......cos I believe you do see most of them; while others dive into various things to make sure they are successful.....WE ARE DIFFERENT. I as a person, do try my best not to envy (cos even the Bible said 'do not covet') cos a businessman will never and can never tell you his secrets....if he does, then its either you try and get involved or you look for a way to run for your dear life because it varies (we are in 9ja).

Saving from only and solely N19,800 is not an easy task, but if you can do it (kudos) to you. All the same its still a gud thing if one can bring him/herself to do it, for me even if its N3,000 monthly you can set aside and pretend its not there...fine...keep up with it as it can help you in a way or the other both before and after your service year. As I know there are those of us who will pay our tithes from the N19,800; transport, buy food stuff especially areas where food stuff are expensive it won't be easy, would want to flex once in a while cos one can't keep looking like his/her own is the worst.

Guess we should be grateful afterall we are still better than those who were paid N7,500, N9,500, or N11,800.

So my advice is .......if you can save....pls do it but not at the expense of starving yourself so you won't start running helter skelter buying drugs here n there (then wat's the use saving) and then try and get a skill no matter how it is (i really loved and wished I was a fashion designer) still on my mind and trying to figure out ways in which to get it thru... but one thing for sure is that my children must have a handwork even while in school (by His grace they will read and then learn the hand work). Cheers friends, may the Lord be with us.

3 Likes

Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by sureway1(m): 6:20am On Nov 25, 2014
Elisim:
Hi peeps in the house, I've read all the posts and sincerely everyone is making points. It all boils down to DISCIPLINE... there are people who can accommodate hunger/thirst for sure and there those who cannot for a bit or even try it (1-1-1, 1-0-1, 0-1-1 etc), the elders say hunger do not kill but I tell u it can make u steal if care is not taking, it varies and depends on who you are cos it can even make you take food from your enemy.

The issue of SAVING is a very good idea, I know of people who saved and at the end cldn't make use of the money (died) after passing thru hell to get through it. There are those who saved and at the end it all (savings) went down to paying of hospital bills (not any one's portion)either for themselves or to save the life of a family member, it happens. Then there are those who it really helped out in one way or the other (BUT I AS PERSON WILL NEVER STARVE OR LOOK TATTERED IN THE NAME OF SAVING, I WILL ONLY SAVE WHAT I CAN...)

Sure, we are now in a century where we all thought, desired and wished to have handwork and then degree at the same time as its now presently the trend in town...."everybody show your handwork". There are those who could work and school at the same time (like me) while there are those who can't combine the two. We are all made different and created in variety of ways that is why the GRACE N UNMERRITED FAVOUR of GOD upon each and everyone of us is totally DIFFERENT. Some of us our glory comes in the morning, some at noon, and others evening (I personally prefer evening, so I can leave behind for my generation both born and yet unborn) some are blessed to make it through business (do not use this to judge any other person if you are successful in it), some are blessed to make it from earning salaries (people build houses from salaries they earn and live comfortable more than others, do not use this judge any other person if you are successful in it), others are blessed to make it through handwork (people buy cars and build houses from hair-plaiting, furniture making etc,do not use this to judge any other person if you are successful in it), therefore it boils down to we are all CREATED DIFFERENTLY.

Its just like pastoral work, some are called (and they are successful in it), while some just fix themselves or force themselves into it and you know the rest.......cos I believe you do see most of them; while others dive into various things to make sure they are successful.....WE ARE DIFFERENT. I as a person, do try my best not to envy (cos even the Bible said 'do not covet') cos a businessman will never and can never tell you his secrets....if he does, then its either you try and get involved or you look for a way to run for your dear life because it varies (we are in 9ja).

Saving from only and solely N19,800 is not an easy task, but if you can do it (kudos) to you. All the same its still a gud thing if one can bring him/herself to do it, for me even if its N3,000 monthly you can set aside and pretend its not there...fine...keep up with it as it can help you in a way or the other both before and after your service year. As I know there are those of us who will pay our tithes from the N19,800; transport, buy food stuff especially areas where food stuff are expensive it won't be easy, would want to flex once in a while cos one can't keep looking like his/her own is the worst.

Guess we should be grateful afterall we are still better than those who were paid N7,500, N9,500, or N11,800.

So my advice is .......if you can save....pls do it but not at the expense of starving yourself so you won't start running helter skelter buying drugs here n there (then wat's the use saving) and then try and get a skill no matter how it is (i really loved and wished I was a fashion designer) still on my mind and trying to figure out ways in which to get it thru... but one thing for sure is that my children must have a handwork even while in school (by His grace they will read and then learn the hand work). Cheers friends, may the Lord be with us.

well said........however don't save in such away that it will affect your health.....
Re: How To Save Your FG Allowance Without Living Like A Pauper At Your PPA. by golddeejay(m): 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2014
sureway1, i really like the way u r thinking...i have to agree with some posters that the 19800 makes it difficult for an average corper to save but the truth is saving is never easy even if the allawi. Even if the allawi is increased to 50k, a large percentage of corpers will still not save due to some lifesyle...just imagine a corper that drink an average of a bottle of beer per day, that 6k per month already. My advice is for corpers is to

*make a budget and follow it religiously

*cut ur expenses to the minimum, erase unneccessary expenses

*dont save ur excess money in ur saving acct, you may yield to the temptation of spending (one thing i hate abt ATM)

*save what will not ur life too miserable.

In short, there is no rules to saving. It depends on ur focus and determination (plus what and how u r planning ur life after service)

(1) (Reply)

See what can happen during NYSC one year service (A disguised blessing)!photos / Nysc Batch "a" Time Table And Website / When Is Next Batch Coming Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.