Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,338 members, 7,819,189 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Before All Our Children Become Entertainers - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Before All Our Children Become Entertainers (28190 Views)

See How Our Children Are Quietly Been Indoctrinated / Is This How Our Children Wil Learn Alphabets?pls Read / God Save Our Children From Campus Cults! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by iswallker(m): 1:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
@op this is plagiarism. why didn't you tell us you culled this stuff from a website:

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/before-all-our-children-become-musicians/

mods please do the needful and reverse the likes... sad

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Lilimax(f): 1:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
iswallker: @op this is plagiarism. why didn't you tell us you culled this stuff from a website:

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/before-all-our-children-become-musicians/

mods please do the needful and reverse the likes... sad
smiley
But the message have been passed across except that the credit was not given to the
original Author- Mr Azuka Onwuka undecided
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by bigx(m): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2014
tecmon:

I think you are the "bad belle" fellow here, i doubt if you ever went to school, or you were among those that cross the window as the teacher crosses the door. you feel that to increase salaries we have to create scarcity of professionals, and to create the scarcity we have to derail the youths and waste a whole generation. We are talking of something that affects national development here, If the US have scarcity of professional, do you think they would have become a world power , and you still cant see the reason why they are the ones drilling the oil in your backyard and constructing your airports, while all you do is sit and type rubbish on the iphone they also manufactured for you. Yet your mediocre mind cannot escape the centripetal force of salary. Is Dangote a salary earner or is he a comedian , is Bill Gates a rapper ?, what of Prof Barth Nnaji, Nnamdi Ozobia, Innoson etc who are professionals and also big time employers of labour. if we have more of these one in Nigeria , wouldnt our country be better and there will be more employment for the deserving ones ?

B.Sc, M.Sc Engineering (I went to school very well, at least my English should show you that) and I only collected a salary during my IT for 6 months, apart from that I've onle paid salaries. I'm a businessman to the bone (so no I'm far from mediocre)

I'm speaking going with the route the poster is taking and considering only a few people can survive in the business world so opt for "safe" options.

I also never supported whatever you say I'm supporting, if you can comprehend (read and understand) it'd be obvious that I am only trying to put a positive spin on the post (which I try to always do) and stop the poster from being a cry-baby (can't tolerate complainers)

Probably the anonymity of the forum coupled with likely frustration for some reason is the cause of your uncouth post above and for that, I'd forgive you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by zemaye: 1:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
musaajebor:
No be d op be the writer
nlanders no get sense aswear

the write up was culled from punchonline.com
U have a screwd brain mister
My text read original poster not original write
Who cares where it was gotten when what I need is the sense in it beside the punch....article in the original website did not get this much views so move on angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Man2utd(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
I appreciate constructive thinking and this is one, have you ever taken note of the fact that Africa is been labeled the black continent, i had to search within me why we are labeled the black continent, i discovered it has to do with our brains, the way we think. A black man thinks he has to divert the money which is meant for the development of his community into his private account to take care of generations unborn. The black continent where who you know and not what you know determines how high or far you go. we blame all our woes on the westerners, these people also have challenges that are peculiar to their society which they look for a way to solve, rather than looking for who to blame. even within we see it in our political parties and different ethnic groups, Yoruba blames Igbo, Hausa blames Ijaw and the circle goes on and on, but the devil takes the lion share. The reason why all these people won't invest in improving the standard of education is that, education is light, it opens your mind and makes you know, Once you know, you begin to ask questions, which becomes a problem. That is why they keep you busy with the entertainers. consider how much 77M Naira will help improve lives in the community if you erect a school or hospital but instead glo gives MI, DBANJ and likes, our value system is just too poor. Lets celebrate education, Education is light.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Brush1: 2:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
This calls for serious concern.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
PassingShot:

You make me laugh, @ the bolded.

Are we not already feeling the effect? Are you not aware that some of our teachers/lecturers are products of the half-baked intellectualism?
The damage is done already. We only need to work to salvage something out of the unfortunate situation we already find ourselves in.

My good man, we are. Perhaps "it might get worse" would probably have been a better way of putting it. That is why people could think that drinking and bathing with salt by the early morn can prevent Ebola.

4 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by CocoaOla: 6:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
[quote author=obioraval][/quote] Thanks
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Phame: 7:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
Urine:

Young man, the op has a point. There's nothing wrong with being a rapper, in fact to be a good rapper you must be highly intelligent because rap is lyrical poetry. Now ask yourself this question, what's is your plan b if your plan a to be a rapper fails? Somewhere in your mind something is saying you won't fail, I agree but the greatest rapper Nigeria has ever produced is mode9 and we can't comfortably say he is successful. Think about it deeply, you might be 14 but whatever you do today will affect you when you're 30.

Also, when writing stop the unnecessary abbreviations like yr for your or d for the. It will ruin your writing skills and we both know you still have many important exams to write.
i almost shed tears when i saw mode9 on hip tv responding to questions on his forthcoming album; whe the reporter asked him what his fans should expect, how good is the album etc? He responded by saying "i have always come out with good rap/album, but Nigerians dont like real rap except u mix it with something different. "
d kind of music Nigerians listen to tells u the level of decay in our educational sector.
It is a sad situation!
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Leqsy(m): 7:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
mrworldwide1: To much write up make a niqqa mad angry
this is not your crib niccu..you'd find the sexuality section or entertainment more appealing bro

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by bvc(m): 7:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
I can identify with the topic. On the 23rd was my birthday so I offered to give a free e-copy of my book 'A Student's Guide to Financial Freedom' firstly to a maximum of 100 people. But, just to do check their reaction, I thew it open at anybody that was interested. Only a handful requested and got it. Now I'm thinking a greate percentage of those student will either not complete the book OR not put the principles it suggests to effective use.

But, it gets better!
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by baba11(m): 8:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
Oga Op,y are u earning all these accolades and recognition when you are not the author of this article...u beta put the links bfor I report u shocked lipsrsealed cool
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by baba11(m): 8:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
Lilimax: smiley
But the message have been passed across except that the credit was not given to the
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by tochilastborn(m): 8:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
Teeted: Quite sad; but I don't even know how to blame.

sadParents lipsrsealed

Most of our parents who did well during their time, did so because our grand-parents/great-grand-parents trained(disciplined) them well. But maybe the character couldn't be inculcated in most of them for posterity.

my dear.characters and genes can't be consistent from generation X to generation Y because there must be gene mutations.WE were created in the image of God but We are imperfect unlike God Almighty.
Ask yourself why.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by baba11(m): 8:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
It baffles me to see our promising future youth wasting their time on vanity with everyone intending to be the likes of davidos,okochas etc...if they had known,they would have secured their future first before anything else...it made me to remember when I was 'putting' everything up there...now it's my gain... ;Dwithout bragging,I have Ignored several job tests,interviews and job offers...I even rejected one yesterday after test and interview have already been done angry grin grin grin####hardwork in a good way is the best!!!!!!!!

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by jaxxy(m): 11:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
@op God bless u a trillion times for this post! It is a tragedy of wot is becoming of our great nation. I personally have a love for entertainment as long as it's nt mediocre and professionally done bt I'm also a strong believer in balance and via that excellence. By wen people lack focus, genuineness of purpose and will plus corruption of their minds and heart that they will only play to the gallery and what appeals to their myopic desires or else... Hw can a country or organization(s) nt know or forget that science and technology is the bed rock of development and pursue ONLY and SOLELY Entertainment jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love MUSIC, MOVIES Entertainment and the rest BT SCIENCE AND TECH WILL Always be ONTOP AND TAKE IT PLACE OF PRIORITY. Cos even Music, Movies and Entertainment need Science and technology to DEVELOP. I'm an Engineer and this really Breaks my heart. The USA Knw better cos they (SYSTEM) are not driven SOLELY by Corruption. A System driven by corruption is always MYOPIC!!!!!!!
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by MrPresident1: 11:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
The children are subconsciously rejecting Esau's yoke of slavery grin grin grin
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by itstpia1: 3:24am On Aug 28, 2014
suxxman: Music (Entertainment) is where the money is. That's if you work hard or luck finds you.

there is no luck in the music industry.

you need connections and money, dont confuse those with luck even though people pretend that's what it is.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Geekaydon: 8:05am On Aug 28, 2014
dabriggs:

Please go and read the expose again and see his point. He is saying there should be a balance. And frankly, betwneen me and anybody who cares to be on the other side of the divide, we need more doctors and engineers than Davidos. We celebrate the obvious absurd in Nigeria. No where in the write up did he call entertainers lazy people. You see what the system has done to you all. You cant read and comprehend.

And please, teenagers who cant even spell words correctly should stop coming here to claim upcoming stars. Youths who are seriously intellectually disabled.

As a matter of fact what is special about Nigerian music and entertainment industry? Is it "skelewu!skelewu" or "doro..doro..doro". or "chorkini chorkin"? And frankly I am not expecting much from the so called aspiring stars of Nigeria. We will keep hearing the same senseless repetitions in their music.

One day we may all be affected by the effects of half-baked intelectualism from our prolonged neglect and lack of foresight. Until Kings become intellectuals or intellectuals becom kings we cannot develop.

Anyway,to be a bit cynical, what are we even talking about? Afterall even when Nigerian Stars were unappreciated Nigeria hardly developed. Standarsds coul have been better back then,but it wasnt much really.
man i was commenting according to the replies i saw not to the writer that wrote the write up......you think you can talk?? Dumb ass
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by victor2exl(m): 9:57am On Aug 28, 2014
Ptoocool: BBA sponsored by Coca-Cola: $300,000 (N48m). MTN Project Fame: N7.5m & SUV. Etisalat’s Nigerian Idol: N5m & multi-million naira contract. Glo naija sings: N5m & SUV. Gulder ultimate search: N10m plus endorsements & SUV.

COWBELL Mathematics competition: N100k. Lagos State Spelling Bee: N50k. School scrabble: N25k. Cool-FM spelling game: A goodie bag filled with Amila drink. And someone is asking why there is so much failure in WASSCE?” That was a message I received on my phone some days ago.

My friend, Ayodele Adeyemi, told me a similar story recently. Someone saw the brilliance of his daughter and told her that she would be a doctor. The girl said no: She would be a musician. The person was surprised.

That story is not strange today. If you ask children in primary school or even secondary school whom would they like to be like in future, they would mention Davido, Whizkid, Omawumi, Don Jazzy, Genevieve Nnaji or Ali Baba. It is a good thing that our entertainment industry has become a source of pride to our nation and a source of livelihood for thousands of youths. Youths who could have been at jobs they hated or even derailed into crime have found themselves happily and richly employed. Rather than being mocked by society, they have become a source of envy and admiration. But therein lies the problem…

Since the entertainment industry has become a money spinner and a glamorous industry, every child wants to be in it. But, why not? Currently, the TV programmes with the highest prizes are in music or entertainment. Unknown faces become celebrities almost overnight. Their mates watch such transformation and are filled with envy and admiration. Children watch their intelligent uncles and parents go unnoticed, uncelebrated and impoverished, while entertainers – many of whom are not particularly book-intelligent – become the stars of the day.

On the contrary, how many big-budget programmes or prizes are dedicated to rewarding excellence in creativity or the like? Very few. The NLNG Prize for Literature was virtually the only big prize until recently when Etisalat Prize for Literature came on stream.
The doctors, lecturers, teachers, etc are frequently on strike over pay and conditions of service. Nigerian writers have to move to the United States or the United Kingdom to be appreciated.
Beside entertainment, politics is the other field that is very attractive because of the direct and indirect money that oozes out of it as well as the glamour that goes with it. It is more rewarding – financially and socially – to be a local government chairman than to be a professor. If you are lucky to be a senator, a minister or a governor, you are made for life! Beyond amassing a lot of money, you are also initiated into the political circle, which ensures that even when you leave office, you are made an ambassador, a chairman of an agency or the like. You would not like to go back to the university, your medical practice or whatever you were before. As a doctor, an engineer or lecturer, your money comes in trickles, but as a senator or governor, it drops into your account like a bomb regularly.
But if you can’t be a politician, why not be an entertainer?

President Goodluck Jonathan may not feel cool when shaking an
engineer, computer scientist or professor, but when he is shaking hands with a musician like D’Banj or an actress like Genevieve, you will notice that his smile will be broader. Why? He is shaking hands with a star. Unlike before when our entertainers just had enough to take care of their basic needs, today’s entertainers earn up to N5m for a 10-minute solo rendition of two of their songs on stage. For those who have up to four shows per month, even if they earn a million naira per show, that gives them N4m monthly. Many CEOs of top companies don’t earn that. And this amount excludes the money made from commercials, endorsements, celebrity appearances, fees to act as a judge at shows, album sales, and any other private businesses the celebrity is involved in.

So, it is not surprising that many of our young ones want to be entertainers. In their views, excluding the money and glamour in entertainment, it does not look as strenuous as reading and sitting for exams to be a pharmacist or a professor. Being a musician is fun. You stand on stage (in the limelight) while others huddle together in darkness, watching you. You don’t need to have all A’s or come first in your class. But once successful, you overshadow your siblings and parents. Your parents and siblings are identified from your standpoint: Omawumi’s mother, Omotola’s husband, Okocha’s sister. You travel from one city to the other or from one country to the other, stay in the best hotels, eat the best foods, and drink the best wines – all the time.
No wonder, parents railroad their children into entertainment. They organise three or four of them to sing, put it in CDs and send the children to filling stations and shopping malls to sell the CDs. Some parents push their children to participate in all music competitions in the land. Those who are wealthy use their wealth or connection to push their children to be featured regularly in the media.

At the auditions of reality shows, there is no manner of people you won’t see. Even those who croak like toads participate, believing that they are the next “Tu Baba” or “PSquare.” It is all because of how lucrative the entertainment industry.
TV stations have also caught the virus. While new all-music channels and programmes are springing up, almost all the local channels have dedicated the hours of 12 noon to 2pm to music.
It is a great thing that our entertainment industry is booming. Many African countries are envious of our achievement, but we need to emulate the US in our national development. The reason the US is different is that it is not a one-product economy. While it is the headquarters of entertainment in the world, it is also the headquarters of academic excellence and research. It consciously encourages its doctors, engineers, scientists, lecturers, broadcasters, writers, etc, to be the best by providing a wonderful environment. It does not create the impression that a senator is better than a professor by paying the senator higher than the professor, or giving the senator more recognition than the professor.

Even though it glamorises the actor or musician, it does not give the actor or musician any impression that he is better than the police constable or primary school teacher. Politics is not made so lucrative that every media person prays to be appointed a politician’s press secretary. Many broadcasters actually earn more than politicians; so politicians can’t talk down on them or buy them over. The street cleaner does her job with pride. She knows that one day she can write a book on strategic street cleaning and it will become a bestseller that earns her millions of dollars and fame. She does not need to become a musician, a politician, a contractor, or a girlfriend to a politician before she can become successful as a street cleaner.

That is how a robust economy is built. It is an economy in which people have the potential to excel, to be rich and get national recognition in whatever field they operate in. That way, children who have the proclivity for research or teaching are not discouraged by such fields’ low-rewarding prospects and get lured into music or acting. Those who will sing will sing. Those who will act will act. But the nation must not make those who should be in other fields to jump into entertainment or emigrate, just because they believe that their natural field is unappreciated.

I was wondering when will this topic make NairaLand..these days our youth forget Biro/Pen when they go to the banks for transactions;But they will never forget there Air-phones{to listen to music} and there phone chargers...Its really annoying and heart aching...everyone want to be in the showbiz..quick money...

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by joeldy26: 12:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
mrworldwide1: To much write up make a niqqa mad angry
..Nigga iz jus ppl like u we r talkin abt here.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
Its called freedom of speech mind yo bizness jobless n don't call me bro
Leqsy:
this is not your crib niccu..you'd find the sexuality section or entertainment more appealing bro
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by naturefellow(m): 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Urine:

Young man, the op has a point. There's nothing wrong with being a rapper, in fact to be a good rapper you must be highly intelligent because rap is lyrical poetry. Now ask yourself this question, what's is your plan b if your plan a to be a rapper fails? Somewhere in your mind something is saying you won't fail, I agree but the greatest rapper Nigeria has ever produced is mode9 and we can't comfortably say he is successful. Think about it deeply, you might be 14 but whatever you do today will affect you when you're 30.

Also, when writing stop the unnecessary abbreviations like yr for your or d for the. It will ruin your writing skills and we both know you still have many important exams to write.

Talking about unnecessary or silly abbreviations, here's a funny observation I stumbled upon sometime ago: "People have become so lazy that they type a smilie like this 'smiley' instead of this ':-)'"
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by naturefellow(m): 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lilimax: smiley
Shame on him all the same. Can't you see how he embedded photos like he is the original writer. Give honour or credit to whom it is due. Later, dem go say Nigerian writers are under-appreciated in their country. (thank God for W.S) Why wouldn't that happen, when people like you plagiarise their works? Let's learn to do things properly. "Be the change you desire to see in your world." It begins with us and the little things we do.
(was it Mother Theresa or Mahatma Ghanaian that said that?)
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by FarmTech(m): 8:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
Entertainment id a powerful tool in the hand of the devil. Whenever a so-called christian finds him/herself on the spotlight, they curse God with their mouth, dress and dance seductively. All in the name of entertaining the masses. If you're a parent and ur children still admire davido, 2face, and co, u have a lot of wk to do.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by ABAKA72(m): 7:38am On Aug 29, 2014
bjtinz: Mtn, African idol, BBA, etc r not charity organizations. They need to make money and to do so means appealing to the desires of the public.

who wants to watch a boring show of cowbell maths competition or jets? undecided

How many likes did you get? it shows how stupiid you and your post sounds.

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Soknown: 10:38am On Aug 29, 2014
On a lighter note--

Wife; 'Horn' Have you seen your girl dance recently.

Husband; You ?

Wife; Me ke ? Am I even a girl ?. I mean your daughter, she is very good now.
she led the children choir last Sunday.

Husband; I hope she did her assignment after church.

Wife; Since she is very good in dancing now, can we put in for Maltina Dance-all competition this year.

Husband; What ! . You know I cannot dance and you know that I know that you cannot dance either.

Wife; Yes, but our daughter can dance.

Husband; raising his baritone voice, she is just 9 years old.

Wife; her age doesn't matter, if she wins..

Husband; cut in, if she wins what ?. you want to take her childhood away, at what price. !.

I cannot be part of that, She will read, she will go to school, when she is 18 then she
can be whoever she wants.

Case closed.
On a more serious note. This issue is complicated, from very anemic educational policy, bad parenting, media misrepresentation, distortion of our age-long value system, get rich quick and fame is perfect new age orientation. But it is not too late to clip it, we could start by telling our children that Education, good, proper education is the best legacy and the very basis of greater, abiding achievements in life. In the next fifty years when we would have forgotten these people singing ayah yah yah yah, supplementing lyrics with speaking in tongues, 'twerking' their black behind to absolute nonsense, we will still be celebrating great minds that revolutionized the way we think, work, love, interact and live and these are real talents we( Government and citizenry) need to breed and nurture.
Thanks @ OP for posting this.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by taiocol: 1:31pm On Aug 31, 2014
bvc: I can identify with the topic. On the 23rd was my birthday so I offered to give a free e-copy of my book 'A Student's Guide to Financial Freedom' firstly to a maximum of 100 people. But, just to do check their reaction, I thew it open at anybody that was interested. Only a handful requested and got it. Now I'm thinking a greate percentage of those student will either not complete the book OR not put the principles it suggests to effective use.

But, it gets better!

have scanned through the book it's a good one, hoping to complete it after my exams
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Gynacologist(m): 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
wasak: I've personally talked about this severally. it is quite disturbing that the notion of 'talent ' has been reduced by the society albeit inadvertently to showbiz. Almost all academic talents go unnoticed or at best under-noticed.
it is a societal travesty promoted by out media houses, i watched with dismay a video of the project fame auditioning last year, i could only but laugh at the faultless stupidity of jobless youths looking for the shortest path to stardom.

earlier this year, a club i currently head in my university was organizing a series of socio-academic programmes to mark our annual week, i approached MTN and DIAMOND BANK for sponsorship , my request was entertained with levity and rejected.
Believe me, these same companies sponsored so many party activities within d same university. It's an unfortunate national disaster, one, which many of the populace are too blind to see.
on point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Apply For Fully-Funded Scholarships At Kyushu University, Japan 2018 / Meet 18-Year-Old Daniel Obaji, The Youngest Graduate In NYU Abu Dhabi / Future Leaders International School Kaduna Closed For Violating Quarantine Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.