Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics (1647 Views)

Watch Davido, Genevieve Nnaji, Ice Prince And Others Do The Ice Bucket Challenge / Genevieve Joins Bill Gates, George Bush, Lady Gaga In Ice Bucket Challenge / ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Don Jazzy Challenges Wizkid, Davido, Iyanya | Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by dejt4u(m): 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
The Ice Bucket Challenge, sometimes called the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, is an activity involving dumping a bucket of ice
water on someone's head to promote awareness of the disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and encourage donations to research. It went viral throughout social media during mid 2014. In the UK, people participate in the challenge for the Motor Neurone
Disease Association.
The challenge dares nominated
participants to be filmed having a bucket of ice water poured on their heads and challenging others to do the same. A common stipulation is that nominated people have 24 hours to comply or forfeit by way of a charitable financial donation.

Origin
The origins of the idea of dumping cold water on one's head to raise money for charity are unclear and have been attributed to multiple sources. From mid-2013 to early 2014, a challenge of unknown origin often called the "Cold Water Challenge" became popular on social media in areas of the northern United States. The task usually involved the option of either donating money to cancer research or having to jump into
cold water.
One version of the challenge, which took place in Salem, Indiana as early as May 15, 2014, involved dousing participants with cold water and then donating to a charity; for example, the Auckland Division of the Cancer Society of New Zealand. As with similar challenges, it was usually filmed so footage can be shared online.
The National Fallen Firefighters
Foundation popularized the "Cold Water Challenge" in early 2014 to raise funds as an unsanctioned spin-off of the polar plunge most widely used by Special Olympics as a fundraiser.

RULES
Within 24 hours of being challenged, participants have to record a video of themselves in continuous footage. First, they are to announce their acceptance of the challenge followed by pouring ice into a bucket of water. Then, the bucket is to be lifted and poured over the participant's head. Then the participant can call out a challenge to other people.
Whether people choose to donate,
perform the challenge, or do both varies.
In one version of the challenge, the participant is expected to donate $10 if they have poured the ice water over their head or donate $100 if they have not.
In another version, dumping the ice water over the participant's head is done in lieu of any donation, which has led to some criticisms of the challenge being a form of "slacktivism". Individual videos have included the participant saying that they will be making a donation along with performing the challenge.
Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge

1 Share

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by sainty2k3(m): 12:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ice bottled coke challenge will be more interesting cheesy
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by ayogabriel(m): 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
Have seen the video of bill gate, baba sef do hin own, Geneviev Nnaji, nominated Aliko Dangote, don't know if he did it, uncle Don jazzy also did his own,
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by dejt4u(m): 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
sainty2k3: Ice bottled coke challenge will be more interesting cheesy
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by purplesummer(f): 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2014
It's fun cheesy
...until the victims develop pneumonia embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by Gooci(m): 1:04pm On Aug 26, 2014
dejt4u, i challenge you too wink
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by Infomizer(m): 1:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
I would really love to see Stephen Hawkings take the challenge sha.
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by axortedbabe(f): 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
Follow follow dem
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by dejt4u(m): 4:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gooci: dejt4u, i challenge you too wink
challence ke?? Lemme b d one to challenge u 1st bro
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by Gooci(m): 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2014
dejt4u:
challence ke?? Lemme b d one to challenge u 1st bro
sorry bro, i av said it first.. post your ice bucket video here nd send yur donation to 0696723445
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by dejt4u(m): 4:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gooci:
sorry bro, i av said it first.. post your ice bucket video here nd send yur donation to 0696723445
my number is 0706mmm2.. Hope u cn spot d similarities in our numbers.. You do it first..
Waiting....
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by Gooci(m): 4:42pm On Aug 26, 2014
dejt4u:
my number is 07069671622.. Hope u cn spot d similarities in our numbers.. You do it first..
Waiting....
oyaaa........ cold water wiiiiiiii on my head..... dejt4u, i challenge yu on this..... remember, yu av jst 24hrs.
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge: Origin, Historical Background, Rules, Pics by dejt4u(m): 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
Gooci:
oyaaa........ cold water wiiiiiiii on my head..... dejt4u, i challenge yu on this..... remember, yu av jst 24hrs.
still expecting the video and the monii ooo

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To King 2face Idibia (2baba) / Ladies, What Do You Think Of This Girl's Dressing? Sexy Or Trashy? / Tonto Dikeh Says She Has No A$$ Or H1ps That Can Save Her Awesome Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.