Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,804 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? (4653 Views)

Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano / ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** / Any Muslims Who Converted To Christainity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 9:41pm On Sep 17, 2014
texanomaly:

Why?

google "white knight" grin grin grin
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2014
logicboy01:

google "white knight" grin grin grin

undecided

He and I have been friends for a while.

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2014
Wow!

You've just shut me out....

I'll take a little time to sip ur post in before i reply....

...I guess I can forget about discussing this futher.

texanomaly: First, I have to say, "Why do I get involed in religious discussions/debates?" I hate them. I just want to believe what I believe and be left alone, but here I go again. Every time I say I will stay out of the religion section I get pulled back in by something I find interesting. SMH

The word “adoption” is used throughout the Scriptures to describe the relationship between God and His children.

Many Christians believe that they are God’s sons by adoption. But does the Bible really say that?

Where did the word “Adoption” come from? It was translated from the Greek word huiothesia. Huiothesia is a combination of two words. Those words are huios (“son, child, descendant”) and tithemi (“to place, put; to set, appoint, decided, arrange”). Huiothesia may mean "sonship" or "adoption".

To be honest, I don't care who believes what. I only care that "you/we" are strong enough to search, ponder and pray about what we believe and not just take everything we hear to be gospel without a thought.

Many words in the Bible have been translated incorrectly. Who's to say which words are correct and which are not? Which parts are allegory and which parts are to be taken literally?

One group says "this". Another group says "that". All say they have the "truth". In the end we must search, ponder and pray. Never just believe whatever is taught. I believe what I believe. You believe what you will. I'm good with that.

I was raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many say Mormon. Some say LDS.

Throughout my childhood and young adulthood, I was a staunch believer in LDS teachings. I'm not sure I still believe all I was taught growing up, but there are many teaching my heart still clings to. I do know for sure that I believe this statement made by Robert L. Millet, former dean of religious education at Brigham Young University.

"Latter-day Saints do not believe that the answer to the world’s problems is ultimately to be found in more extravagant social programs or stronger legislation. Most or all of these ills have moral or spiritual roots. In the spirit of the brotherhood and sisterhood of humankind, is it not possible to lay aside theological differences long enough to address the staggering social issues in our troubled world? My recent interactions with men and women of various faiths have had a profound impact on me; they have broadened my horizons dramatically and reminded me — a sobering reminder we all need once in a while — that we are all sons and daughters of the same Eternal Father. We may never resolve our differences on the Godhead or the Trinity, on the spiritual or corporeal nature of Deity or on the sufficiency or inerrancy of the Bible, but we can agree that there is a God; that the ultimate transformation of society will come only through the application of moral and religious solutions to pressing issues; and that the regeneration of individual hearts and souls is foundational to the restoration of virtue in our communities and nations. One need not surrender cherished religious values or doctrines in order to be a better neighbor, a more caring citizen, a more involved municipal."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/what-mormons-believe-about-jesus-christ

With this post, I'm done. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll get drawn in again, but still, I tire O.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 10:14pm On Sep 17, 2014
Ubenedictus: Wow!

You've just shut me out....

I'll take a little time to sip ur post in before i reply....

...I guess I can forget about discussing this futher.

I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have even commented. You drew in, and I couldn't resist. Sorry again for abandoning the discussion.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
Ubenedictus:

So minuites ago i lost my long opening post detailing christainity's teaching on Christ the ultimate Truth and how that has influence Christains down though the centuries.

Well that is gone so here is a simple one.
Christains believe they possess the ultimate truth and Christ is the only way, and the path to the father, do these beliefs make the average christain arrogant? Does it give them a sort of percieved superiority in opinions?

Believing in one sole truth comes with the moral resposibility of teaching it and brands other opinions as errors, does this teaching make christains intolerant to other opinions and religions?

Terms like arrogance and intelerance are not defined, i invite those commenting to attempt to define them with reference before arguing for or against.
I also note that neither arrogance or intolerance are condemned in this post.

So what do you think?

Christianity is only as intolerant as Jesus is true.

http://carm.org/it-intolerant-say-christianity-only-true-religion
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 10:40pm On Sep 17, 2014
texanomaly:

undecided

He and I have been friends for a while.

lol..... grin grin grin grin

I was there the moment you became friends
Like an interloper
Listening from beginning to end
I know your secrets
Like a diary.................
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 17, 2014
^^Creep!

2 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 11:04pm On Sep 17, 2014
logicboy01:

lol..... grin grin grin grin

I was there the moment you became friends
Like an interloper
Listening from beginning to end
I know your secrets
Like a diary.................

Iredia and I have been offline friends for some time now. You and I do not associate offline at all. You know nothing about me.

3 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 11:41pm On Sep 17, 2014
BananaBender: ^^Creep!

Ode, Texanomaly knows that I am not interested.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 11:42pm On Sep 17, 2014
texanomaly:

Iredia and I have been offline friends for some time now. You and I do not associate offline at all. You know nothing about me.

I dont want to know you. Remember you emailed me and I never emailed you back.

I dont need to know you. I know the type of guy Uyi is.

I hardly associate with anyone offline. cool
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:16am On Sep 18, 2014
I guess I have pushed this line a bit too far, but i'll comment on this.
(anytime a question mark appears it may be treated as rhetorical question, i'm just talking to myself)

texanomaly: First, I have to say, "Why do I get involed in religious discussions/debates?" I hate them. I just want to believe what I believe and be left alone, but here I go again. Every time I say I will stay out of the religion section I get pulled back in by something I find interesting. SMH
i guess it is because man is a religious or/and spiritual being, we are interested in the stuff beyond our understanding. Even the atheists can't help been here.

The word “adoption” is used throughout the Scriptures to describe the relationship between God and His children.

Many Christians believe that they are God’s sons by adoption. But does the Bible really say that?

Where did the word “Adoption” come from? It was translated from the Greek word huiothesia. Huiothesia is a combination of two words. Those words are huios (“son, child, descendant”) and tithemi (“to place, put; to set, appoint, decided, arrange”). Huiothesia may mean "sonship" or "adoption".

not exactly, as you said two words were combined, the greek word translated as "adoption" mean to "place as son(s)", "ordain/appiont/arrange... As son(s)", in all these possible combination it seems to always carry the idea to been "given" a status no already had. Natural sons are "born", if others are placed as/arranged as/appointed as son then it does seem like "adoption". If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck then it may as well be a duck.

I think the translators weren't wrong on this one.

To be honest, I don't care who believes what. I only care that "you/we" are strong enough to search, ponder and pray about what we believe and not just take everything we hear to be gospel without a thought.

Many words in the Bible have been translated incorrectly. Who's to say which words are correct and which are not? Which parts are allegory and which parts are to be taken literally?

One group says "this". Another group says "that". All say they have the "truth". In the end we must search, ponder and pray. Never just believe whatever is taught. I believe what I believe. You believe what you will. I'm good with that.
big questions, who has what, what is what, is the "truth" simply an illusion created in the human mind that seem to give purpose to his life?

Or is the truth a concrete reality one that can bring a certain fulfilment to the human life....? Is it within the grasp of the human mind? Or if it isn't can man at least take fine portion of it enough to give true meaning to his path?

I'll like to believe it is a reality, it totality is beyond us, for it is transcendent but it can impact us.

Christ is the Word, that sounds definitive to me, i may be wrong, but i still believe the fringes of the "cloak of truth" is within our reach.

If it is a concrete reality then it is possible to us, it is different from "other opinions". It is distinctive....

I believe what i believe, you believe what you believe, that is ok, but is my believe truely a concrete reality or a beatiful illusion....

Is it wise to believe 2+2 always add up to 3 because i like it so or it is necessary that i hold what is real?...

Too much rambling.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:38am On Sep 18, 2014
I was raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many say Mormon. Some say LDS.

Throughout my childhood and young adulthood, I was a staunch believer in LDS teachings. I'm not sure I still believe all I was taught growing up, but there are many teaching my heart still clings to. I do know for sure that I believe this statement made by Robert L. Millet, former dean of religious education at Brigham Young University.

"Latter-day Saints do not believe that the answer to the world’s problems is ultimately to be found in more extravagant social programs or stronger legislation. Most or all of these ills have moral or spiritual roots. In the spirit of the brotherhood and sisterhood of humankind, is it not possible to lay aside theological differences long enough to address the staggering social issues in our troubled world? My recent interactions with men and women of various faiths have had a profound impact on me; they have broadened my horizons dramatically and reminded me — a sobering reminder we all need once in a while — that we are all sons and daughters of the same Eternal Father. We may never resolve our differences on the Godhead or the Trinity, on the spiritual or corporeal nature of Deity or on the sufficiency or inerrancy of the Bible, but we can agree that there is a God; that the ultimate transformation of society will come only through the application of moral and religious solutions to pressing issues; and that the regeneration of individual hearts and souls is foundational to the restoration of virtue in our communities and nations. One need not surrender cherished religious values or doctrines in order to be a better neighbor, a more caring citizen, a more involved municipal."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/what-mormons-believe-about-jesus-christ

With this post, I'm done. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll get drawn in again, but still, I tire O.

i actually took the liberty of reading the article in ur link.

Not much difference in what is written there from what i see different christians profess daily (the main difference will be the belief that divine revelation is continous).

While i may one day be interested in the specifics of the terms used above, for now, i'll simply say in the most general sense i agree with the post above. If we put all our teaching into practice maybe the world world be a better place.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:23am On Sep 18, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Christianity is only as intolerant as Jesus is true.

http://carm.org/it-intolerant-say-christianity-only-true-religion
hmmmm....
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 1:28am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:

Ode, Texanomaly knows that I am not interested.

Buffoon, you know you are!

Hey dumb-nut, the next time u use such word with me, I'll knock all your teeth out. angry

3 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 1:34am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:
I dont want to know you. Remember you emailed me and I never emailed you back.

I hardly associate with anyone offline. cool

Why do you think it's a thing of a pride for someone to e-mail you?? You act like a naive little girl suffering from terrible case of acne.

PMing you doesn't mean she wants to have anything to do with your destitute a*ss. Get a grip, you ain't worth the gum stuck under my heels!

2 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 1:34am On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

Buffoon, you know you are!

Hey dumb-nut, the next time u use such word with me, I'll knock all your teeth out. angry

grin grin grin
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 2:16am On Sep 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:

i actually took the liberty of reading the article in ur link.

Not much difference in what is written there from what i see different christians profess daily (the main difference will be the belief that divine revelation is continous).

While i may one day be interested in the specifics of the terms used above, for now, i'll simply say in the most general sense i agree with the post above. If we put all our teaching into practice maybe the world world be a better place.

Okay O... smiley
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by texanomaly(f): 2:18am On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

Why do you think it's a thing of a pride for someone to e-mail you?? You act like a naive little girl suffering from terrible case of acne.

PMing you doesn't mean she wants to have anything to do with your destitute a*ss. Get a grip, you ain't worth the gum stuck under my heels!

Thanks

Ummm...hmmm. Your dp?
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by UyiIredia(m): 2:21am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:

Be very careful with Uyi. grin grin
wein u dey try talk :\ park well o!

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 6:33am On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

Who said it is a thing of pride?

Guy, you dense no be small.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 6:33am On Sep 18, 2014
texanomaly:

Thanks

Ummm...hmmm. Your dp?

You said thanks to his comment? Wow....you havent changed.
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 6:44am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:

Who said it is a thing of pride?
Guy, you dense no be small.

You are a dumb fvck! Why then were you bragging that she e-mailed you??

Don't be a puccy, you don't have to backpedal. I promise not to whoop your stolid a*ss grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 6:46am On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

You are a dumb fvck! Why then were you bragging that she e-mailed you??

Don't be a puccy, you don't have to backpedal. I promise not to whoop your stolid a*ss grin grin

Where was I bragging? It is not the first time I have told her that I dont relate to nairalanders offline. Generally as a rule I dont.

Please, stop being a white knight.

Texanomaly too is not too bright. Maybe she thinks that the attention she gets at times are innocent. lol
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:
Where was I bragging? It is not the first time I have told her that I dont relate to nairalanders offline. Generally as a rule I dont.
Texanomaly too is not too bright. Maybe she thinks that the attention she gets at times are innocent. lol

@highlighted: I'm gonna change that tongue

Stop hating on texanomaly cos she gets attention, it's not her fault your gay a*ss ain't getting no male attention.

2 Likes

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 7:07am On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

@highlighted: I'm gonna change that tongue

Stop hating on texanomaly cos she gets attention, it's not her fault your gay a*ss ain't getting no male attention.

So, I'm hating on texanomaly and I'm gay? grin grin grin

You like your fantasies abi? You must really have a creative mind....lol

(note that I didnt mention "male" in my previous post. Your gay mind just filled it in)
logicboy01:
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:
So, I'm hating on texanomaly and I'm gay? grin grin grin
You like your fantasies abi? You must really have a creative mind....lol
(note that I didnt mention "male" in my previous post. Your gay mind just filled it in)

Doesn't this stem from UyiIredia messaging her offline and you pretending that you don't want to?? (Both of you are males right??)

My assumption isn't too far off.

Even if I were male and gay, you def won't be in my fantasies. *Inyama*

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 18, 2014
texanomaly: Hey skeeter smiley
tongue
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 7:29am On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

Doesn't this stem from UyiIredia messaging her offline and you pretending that you don't want to?? (Both of you are males right??)

My assumption isn't too far off.

Even if I were male and gay, you def won't be in my fantasies. *Inyama*

lol....unfortunately for you, I have been known for abstinence from offline textual intercourse

I dont message NL peeps offline...hardly.

What you do not understand is that I know both of these people on NL before the were offline friends. There was another American girl called MzDarkskin who Uyi was white knighting too. He agreed with whatever nonsense she said

Texanomaly, are you hearing?
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:

lol....unfortunately for you, I have been known for abstinence from offline textual intercourse
I dont message NL peeps offline...hardly.
What you do not understand is that I know both of these people on NL before the were offline friends. There was another American girl called MzDarkskin who Uyi was white knighting too. He agreed with whatever nonsense she said
Texanomaly, are you hearing?

Why are you telling me what I already know??

Can't your dumb a*ss tell that I am just messing with you??

Btw, I accept the challenge. cool *I'm going to make sure you "message me offline".*

1 Like

Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 3:20pm On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

Why are you telling me what I already know??

Can't your dumb a*ss tell that I am just messing with you??

Btw, I accept the challenge. cool *I'm going to make sure you "message me offline".*

Sharrap angry
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:
Sharrap angry

Where do you live? (country)
Re: Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? by logicboy01: 4:30pm On Sep 18, 2014
BananaBender:

Where do you live? (country)

Banana Island republic grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo: Another True Meaning Of Ramadan That Will Get U Closer To Allah / PMCH. MFM. Prayers Just Before Giving Your 1st Fruit Offering. / Is It Wrong To Keep Long Nails As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.