Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,770 members, 7,831,476 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help (3467 Views)

She Graduated As An OND Student, See What She Got From Friends - Photos / Meet The Unique Identical Twins Who Both Graduated With First Class.. Photos / She Graduated With A CGPA Of 4.99 From Covenant University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by desess(f): 6:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
Nairalanders....... what is ur take on this,

my friend graduated with a first class in a federal university, as usual, her department decided to retain her.Due to the unemployment rate in the country she is in a dilemma of accepting or rejecting the offer.. she doesn't fancy lecturing...

However, due to her intelligence I believe she can hit it right in the non academic world.
please I need ur sincere and candid advice to help her out.
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by dryakson(m): 7:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
Lecturing is a good job.. I like it....
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 27, 2014
Whic course did she studied
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 27, 2014
You need to encourage yo buddy to take the lecturing job.

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by desess(f): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
Sadia1992: Whic course did she studied

Banking and finance
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by SlyIg(f): 8:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
desess:

Banking and finance

no job for first class in the outside world o.
Let her get d lecturing job while seeking for something else to do.

7 Likes

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by rattlesnake(m): 8:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
desess: Nairalanders....... what is ur take on this,

my friend graduated with a first class in a federal university, as usual, her department decided to retain her.Due to the unemployment rate in the country she is in a dilemma of accepting or rejecting the offer.. she doesn't fancy lecturing...

However, due to her intelligence I believe she can hit it right in the non academic world.
please I need ur sincere and candid advice to help her out.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
desess:

Banking and finance
..i wil advise her nt to reject d offer

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
a first class graduate is unemployed?
wasn't she offered jobs during her convocation?

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by laivwire(m): 9:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
Personally, I don't like the academic line. She should accept first and then try commercial coys during her NYSC. If it clicks, well good. If otherwise she's got a backup plan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by cr8v(f): 9:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
If she's only intelligent but not smart(street smart) then let her settle for what she's got even though I'm still not down with someone doing something out of frustration. If I'm her pastor I will advice her to pursue her passion and stop relying strictly on a 5x11 sheet of paper called result/certificate.

Passion is the engine that drives achievement it burns out every disappointment and persevere against any setbacks. The reason many Nigerians end up frustrated is because they pursued public opinion and certificate not passion so they die anonymous and deny their generation of their contribution. In the West somebody can take an unfamiliar field out of passion and make an uncommon discovery in that field because there are few people there and end up etching his/ her name in the annals of history

Selah

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by tsleazy(m): 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
CHAI undecided undecided undecided undecided ......even first class no dey get proper job for this country shocked shocked ...... *walking towards benin airport for #mission stowaway* grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Yinkatolu: 9:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
ok
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Dubby6(m): 10:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
She fine?
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Donkaz(m): 10:40pm On Aug 27, 2014
Dubby6: She fine?
lolz...na your problem be that?
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Ghost01(m): 10:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
She should accept the job offer, and she should, at the same time, continue pursuing her dreams.
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by NnamdiN: 11:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
Banking and Finance uniuyo?
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by tunesoft(m): 11:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
Hello...if she really worked for her 1st class...and she is a 1st class candidate...she should not be scared of outsyd world...yes it's rough nd not too encouraging out there..buh lecturing for her not even trying dem PWC..KMPG...SHELL...CHEVRON...d big dogs companies outysd dere...plus masters, xcept she has a passion for lecturing..i say dump dat job nd check out the outsyd world..try b4 u conclude there is no space for u...if u truly worth d 1st class...then u shouldn't fear

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by alotofgrace(m): 11:23pm On Aug 27, 2014
lecturing is the best job.....u have time for other things.

am going into it myself. just gathering industrial exposures first
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by sholay2011(m): 11:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
Sadia1992: Whic course did she studied
#Gbagaun..do your job. grin

2 Likes

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by flyingdutchman(m): 1:13am On Aug 28, 2014
Hunger dey ooo
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Nobody: 2:05am On Aug 28, 2014
No matter the high unemployment rate,with her result,she can always find her way,except she's been followed by people in her village.

Let her go for her passion,life is easier when people do what they love,than doing what they are coerced to do.

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by EmmaOgbu(m): 4:07am On Aug 28, 2014
1st class no get value again for Naija
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by desess(f): 6:33am On Aug 28, 2014
NnamdiN: Banking and Finance uniuyo?

no
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by DollyParton1(f): 7:12am On Aug 28, 2014
A bird in hand is worth thousands in the forest.
Let her take the lecturing job for now while looking into other areas she is interested in. Lecturing job is versatile, she should have enough time to sort her career path out.
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 28, 2014
EmmaOgbu: 1st class no get value again for Naija
only if you cannot defend your result/certificate.
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by Waspy(m): 7:20am On Aug 28, 2014
I just pray its not too late before she realises that Naija is a different Nation
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by babestell(f): 8:45am On Aug 28, 2014
First Off

1) What course did she study? The course she studied will affect her marketability. It depends on the demand for graduates of that discipline in the job market.

2) What is her personality? The typical first class is usually introverted and bookwormish. They are all about books and sometimes it affetcs their people skills. That is why they will go for assessment centres and fail, simply because they can not network well with their colleagues to solve problems not because they don't know the technical work. Companies need team players

3) What plans does she have for herself? I cannot believe she was in school for 4 years and she doesn't at least have a plan of what she wants to do with her life. where does she wanna work, what were her dreams?

Masters and Lecturing is not a bad idea but if she can, tell her to apply for a scholarship so she can do her masters abroad. It will bring her up to date with current knowledge in her field.

2 Likes

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by alentyno: 9:07am On Aug 28, 2014
Apologies to most posters above me. Why are you guys talking as if you didn't read what the op wrote. Her friend never said she was jobless. Infact she is contemplating whether to accept a ready-made job tabled before or to try out other options. She never said she has written many job tests and failed a large percentage of them......... See how some pips are already rejoicing at a news carrying '1st class and jobless' in the same sentence....smh

EmmaOgbu: 1st class no get value again for Naija
1st class no get value again abi. So na 3rd class go con get value ni

tsleazy: CHAI undecided undecided undecided undecided ......even first class no dey get proper job for this country
Delusion

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by desess(f): 10:05am On Aug 28, 2014
babestell: First Off

1) What course did she study? The course she studied will affect her marketability. It depends on the demand for graduates of that discipline in the job market.

2) What is her personality? The typical first class is usually introverted and bookwormish. They are all about books and sometimes it affetcs their people skills. That is why they will go for assessment centres and fail, simply because they can not network well with their colleagues to solve problems not because they don't know the technical work. Companies need team players

3) What plans does she have for herself? I cannot believe she was in school for 4 years and she doesn't at least have a plan of what she wants to do with her life. where does she wanna work, what were her dreams?

Masters and Lecturing is not a bad idea but if she can, tell her to apply for a scholarship so she can do her masters abroad. It will bring her up to date with current knowledge in her field.

you are on point.

1 Like

Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by desess(f): 10:05am On Aug 28, 2014
babestell: First Off

Nice points you got there...
Re: She Graduated With A First Class , She Needs Your Help by maestroferddi: 11:05am On Aug 28, 2014
Nigerians and their get-rich-quick attitudes.

First of all, she should bear in mind what obtains in the main employer of her skill set viz banking.

As one who has put in many years in banking, I can tell you that first class is not that treasured in the industry.

Employers are looking for practical, result-oriented, can-do, street-smart people.

Book knowledge in banking is hardly prioritised.

Getting a first class is a superlative achievement but it does not end there.

Is she an ambitious, high octane performer? In other words, is she dynamic and a goal-getter?

Is she motivated by financial considerations or will she be patient enough to build capacity over time?

People tend to disparage lecturing jobs. Little wonder there because of our culture as I pointed out above:we want to "hammer" in the shortest possible time.

There are a lot of opportunities for growth as a lecturer. Granted growth might not be that rapid, but consider the possibility of getting a PHD and becoming a professor.

As a professor in Nigeria, you might not be stupendously rich but neither will you be poor.

In any case, there are so many opportunities open to people who are prepared to put in the hard work requisite for reaching the apogee of the teaching profession.

I also like the practicality of teaching employment: lecturers/teaching rarely live above their means unlike most corporate jobs where the environment promote ostentation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

IMO State Teen Invent Auto-bike For His Personal Use, Ask For Assistance To Scal / ****outstandings In My 2008 Waec Results / Admission Requirement For Unilag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.