Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. (594 Views)

Ambode With Lai Mohammed, D'banj At The Flag Off Of One Lagos Fiesta - Photos / Amaechi At Flag Off Of The Port-Harcourt To Aba Mass Transit Line -photos / Buhari Arrives Cross Rivers For Flag-off Of 260km Super Highway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by PhockPhockMan: 6:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, will tomorrow at the State House Banquet Hall, Abuja inaugurate the national electronic identity card, which will kick-start the issuance of a unique National Identification Number (NIN) and electronic identity card to all eligible citizens, provide a secure means to access the national identity database to authenticate and verify identities.

A statement signed by Anthony Okwudiafor, director, corporate communications of National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) which has the responsibility to create, maintain and operate the National Identity Database said tomorrow’s event was a remarkable milestone in the National Identity Management System (NIMS) as well as a huge achievement in the overall objectives of the commission.

NIMC has the mandate to issue a multi-purpose card for identification, electronic signatures, biometric on-card verification, and other applications. The card which would subsequently be issued to all Nigerians who have successfully enrolled for the National Identification Number (NIN), has five applications already activated at issuance, with a built- in capacity to host more applications post-issuance and on request.

The NIMC spokesman said the process of activating applications on the card would be done in two phases. The card is an International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) compliant travel application to be used as a Machine Readable Travel Document (MRTD), for local/regional travel. It is a Nigerian Electronic Identity application to be used to authenticate an individual’s identity.

Other features include Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (‘ePKI’) application to be used for Identification, authentication and digital signatures; Fingerprint Match-on-Card (‘MoC’) functionality to be used for Biometric (fingerprint) verification; and banking application (‘EMV’) to be used for deposit, withdrawal, payment, transfer, inquiry, etc.

The national ID card can well be used as an International Driver’s License, transport application for loading credits/units on local bus terminals; Tax application for making tax payments, verify payments, etc; voter ID application for casting votes; pension application for managing Retirement Savings Account; NHIS application (eHealth) for upgrade, renew, health insurance; and Insurance application to be used to subscribe to insurance policy, renew insurance policy, etc.

The card can as well be used as repository for saving telecom subscribers personal MSISDN numbers previously registered with the NCC and a custom tool used to save space for more applets in the future. Expected at the card launch include the Vice President, Nigeria, Namadi Sambo, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim.

Other digniotaries include ministers, permanent secretaries, representatives from international agencies, divisional president, sub-Sahara Africa, MasterCard, Mr. Daniel Monehin; the group managing director, Access Bank, Mr. Herbert Wigwe; representatives from the NIMC harmonisation and integration committee, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) among others.

http://leadership.ng/business/382157/jonathan-flag-national-id-card-tomorrow
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by lirusehn(m): 6:53pm On Aug 27, 2014
team Goodluck.

undecided
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by PhockPhockMan: 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
I can't wait to collect my national ID card. I registered since 15th December last year.
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by Dreal1247: 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
This is indeed a multi-purpose identity card. I cant wait to have mine.
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by PhockPhockMan: 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
Dreal1247: This is indeed a multi-purpose identity card. I cant wait to have mine.
Today's event is truly a historic one.
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by Rilwayne001: 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
How am i going to apply for it?
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by PhockPhockMan: 3:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
Rilwayne001: How am i going to apply for it?

Go to their office nearest to you or visit

http://www.nimc.gov.ng/
Re: Jonathan To Flag-off National ID Card Tomorrow. by kentorito2: 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
Transformation!

GEJ ....till 2019

(1) (Reply)

Photos From Night Of Tribute For Late Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh / KSU Protect Staff Against Ebola During Post-utme / UPDATE On Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor's Seized Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.