Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? (37617 Views)

Five Nigerian Rappers That Have Succesfully Transitioned To Singing ( Photos ) / Top 6 Nigerian Rappers That Are Worth Listening To / The Top 10 Richest Female Rappers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by kevoh(m): 10:34am On Aug 28, 2014
PERFECT2: ILLUMINATI sent them packing.

Harrybanty: Simple, they refused to join Illuminati

Una don come again with all these conspiracy theories. Biko, abeg let us enjoy this thread and the fact that we once had good female(American) rappers before they faded away without the illuminati nonsense.

Some of these rappers have not really faded per se in the entertainment world like Queen Latifah who has a popular TV show and has acted (still acts) in various hit comedy movies. They just don't rap anymore but are still relevant.

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 28, 2014
They had to retire... fresh new rappers like nikki minaj were going to take their place!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by dasphinx1(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2014
chucky101: WTF!! Foxy is not on this list? Ill nana. that chyna doll album was slamming.

*rappin ”Nana Be Like" wink

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Skywalker5(m): 10:39am On Aug 28, 2014
What of Foxy brown?
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre: Who's forgotten Remy from Terror Squad clique

This bit*ch spit flames like a dragon

She's in Jail now.

She is out.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Dreyl(m): 10:44am On Aug 28, 2014
My queens
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by guttentag(m): 10:45am On Aug 28, 2014
R I P Aaliya
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 28, 2014
The list isn't complete without

Queen Pen
Foxy Brown
Non Challant
Yoyo

cool

4 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by funmo(m): 10:46am On Aug 28, 2014
cool list though! but just like their male counterparts from that era, they refused to move on with the flow!! not to take away from their brilliant art work though!!

BUT LET'S BRING IT HOME

BLAISE
BOUQUI
KEMISTRY
SASHA
WEIRD MC(HER RAP SIDE)

whatever happened to them femcees!!!!!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by davids202(m): 10:48am On Aug 28, 2014
erykah badu my person...
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by dasphinx1(m): 10:48am On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre: Eve has gone soft, she married a whitey

Missy is sick

Lil kim has metamorphorsised

I can't think of any real female gangsta rapper of this era, the likes of Nicki Minaj & iggy are the new face of female rap.

U forgot to add that Queen Latifah is now into movies and even has her own tv show.....

Mc Lyt is now a public speaker and the official voice over of BET Awards tho she still drops some bars once in a while.....

Remy Ma is out of jail
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by wolexy2020(m): 10:49am On Aug 28, 2014
hotmolo: Missy elliot eve lil kim... Legends
This 2 are my fav..
I remember when lil kim use to kill the beat with 2pac wayback(RIP)..
Lov'em all grin
RIP TO THE DEAD!!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by missojugo(f): 10:51am On Aug 28, 2014
Finally it hits me. I am too old to be on Nairaland. How can this small girls be making some peoples childhood. Where chaka kan and diana ross them? grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Blockus: 10:52am On Aug 28, 2014
berem: The list isn't complete without

Queen Pen
Foxy Brown
Non Challant
Yoyo

cool

**Yo, a party ain't a party 'till it's ran all through
And leave it to my crew, it's gon' be playa' proof
After three rounds we gon' blow off this roof
A party ain't a party 'til it's ran all through**

Cant believe I forgot this OG..

4 Likes

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Blockus: 10:54am On Aug 28, 2014
missojugo: Finally it hits me. I am too old to be on Nairaland. How can this small girls be making some peoples childhood. Where chaka kan and diana ross them? grin

Ross & Khan were not Rapper.. grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by almaliki: 10:55am On Aug 28, 2014
Blockus: R.I.P to Aliyah & Left Eye.. Both these Biitches were the truth. I still listen to 'Never be the Same again' Mel C (of Spice Girls) just to hear Lefteye take a Mic and beat that song to death.. Ask for Aliyah, I have her entire discography and have an MP3 CD of it in all my whips.. Both these girls where Queen B's of the rap game..

Now To others like;

Lil Kim,
Da'Brat,
Ill Nana a.k.a Foxy Brown,
Missdemenor Elliot,
M.C Lyte,
Remy Ma
Queen Latifah
Eve
Salt-N-Pepa
Trina
Rah Digga
Rasheeda
Khia
Lil Mo
Lumidee
Erykah Badu
Ms. Dynamite
Diams
Roxanne Shanti
Kellis.

e.t.c..

These girls were the truth. They didnt do rap when it was all about just slutty music as such, these biitches could spit verses for days and even keep Male M.C's on their toes.

I guess music like with everything in life changes with time.

I still have everyone of these M.C's on my Laptop and jam them every chance i get.

the lady of rage........... is missing on d list....

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Blockus: 10:58am On Aug 28, 2014
almaliki:

I am sorry Fam, there are just too darn many that I cant keep up with all of em..

I couldnt even believe I forgot Queen Pen..
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by missojugo(f): 10:59am On Aug 28, 2014
Blockus:

Ross & Khan were not Rapper.. grin

True talk.....
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Fayrouzz(m): 11:01am On Aug 28, 2014

She's in Jail now.
Chai!! She carry all that stuff go jail.

Wat a waste*
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2014
almaliki:

I had an alternate moniker with that name. how on earth could i have forgotten she's one of my very best female mc's? grin
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by amiskurie(m): 11:04am On Aug 28, 2014
Mine girls

Da brat
Lisa "left eye" lopez
Missy Elliott
Eve
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by PassingShot(m): 11:05am On Aug 28, 2014
[quote author=Omexonomy]When it comes to female rapping my own list
1. Queen latifah
2. Left eye R.I.P
3.missy eliott
4. Eve.
But when it comes to best female solo artist i will give every thing to Anita baker the great grand mother of the 70s and 80s. Only 2% of nairalanders were born then the rest were in womb waiting for the future esp all the mods and supper mods[/quote]

shocked shocked shocked @ the bolded. I'm not sure many were even in the womb by then. Many NLers were born in late 80s, and 90s.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 11:08am On Aug 28, 2014
Belinda Lipscomb

Midnight Star - Headlines (1986).

Original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWlL44LOOG4

Remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrdXf6C-Mbg
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 28, 2014
naptu2: Brandy - I Wanna Be Down (Remix) (feat. Mc Lyte, YoYo & Queen Latifah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthQLQMilvo
could you do me a favour and post Salt n Pepa's song? " Whatta Man " precisely.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by LilPeezy(m): 11:22am On Aug 28, 2014
Dunno most of dem....knw only three....in oda wordz I damn fucking missed music den days!!!!!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by kiddyking(m): 11:22am On Aug 28, 2014
http:///1vpeL0B please download and listen to gospel rap remix of king James by demzee @iamdemzee
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 11:29am On Aug 28, 2014
berem: could you do me a favour and post Salt n Pepa's song? " Whatta Man " precisely.

Salt N Pepa ft En Vogue - What A Man! (1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiO81RTa4p8
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Troll: 11:30am On Aug 28, 2014
OP Seems to have a beef with Foxy Brown. Listing ten past femcees without Foxy is total disrespect (Jay-Z would know better). FYI She was Lil Kim's arch-rival, heck their beef was all over the hip-hop community.
What's Sweet Tee doing in a list Foxy Brown (ill Nana) ain't featured.

Personally My Top three femcees are:
MC Lyte (She's a Lyricist not a mere rapper. More Of Intelligent Rap With Less Show-Off)

Foxy Brown (Hardcore, Raw Rapper, Less Show-Off More Explicit Lyrics )

Nicki Minaj (Bubble-Gum Rapper Yet Spit-fire Popstar, She's the queen of Show-Off )
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by joeblack62: 11:30am On Aug 28, 2014

She's in Jail now.

She's outta jail already... She got out early this month or so.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 28, 2014

She's in Jail now.
Released early this month

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

BET Awards 2019 Winners (Full List) / Download Mixtape: Best Of Seyi Vibez - 9jablinkz X Dj Emax / 10 Legendary Musicians Who Never Learned How To Read Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.