Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,222 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? (37678 Views)

Five Nigerian Rappers That Have Succesfully Transitioned To Singing ( Photos ) / Top 6 Nigerian Rappers That Are Worth Listening To / The Top 10 Richest Female Rappers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by kendrick93(m): 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Troll:

Lauryn Hill was more of a Spit-fire in the Fugees. Her personal album was more of a toned-down yet lyrically rich hip-hop project. No doubt it's the most critically acclaimed hip-hop album of all time (the accollades it gathered speaks for itself)

Nevertheless my favorite Lauryn Hill bars was from Fugees:
"Yeah in saloons we drink Boone's and battle goons till high noon,
Bust rap toons on flat spoons, take no shorts like poon poon's.
See hoochies pop coochies, for Gucci's and Lucci
Find me in my Mitsubishi, eatin' sushi, bumpin' Fugees.
Hey Hey Hey
Try to take the crew and we don't play play
Say say say
Like Paul McCartney, not hardly,
ODD-ly enough
I can see right through your bluff
Niggas huff and they puff but they can't handle us, WE BUST
Cause we fortified, I could never hide, seen "Cooley High", Cried when Cochise died.
I'm twisted, black-listed by some other negroes,
Don't remove my Polos on the first episode.
Ha Ha Ha Ha, You shouldn't diss refugees, and
Ha Ha Ha Ha, You whole sound set's bootie , and
Ha Ha Ha Ha, You have to respect JERSEY, cause I'm superfly when I'm super-high on
the Fu-Gee-La." CC: The Fugees - Fu-Gee-La

"I play my enemies like a game of chess, where I rest, No stress
If you don't smoke sess, lest.
I must confess, my destiny's manifest
In some Goretex and sweats I make treks like I'm homeless
Rap orgies with Porgy and Bess,
Capture your bounty like Elliot Ness, YES
Bless you if you represent the Fu
But I'll hex you with some witch's brew if you're Doo Doo Voo Doo,
I can do what you do, easy, BELIEVE ME
Frontin' niggas give me hee-bee-gee-bees
So while you're imitating Al Capone
I'll be Nina Simone
And defacating on your microphone." CC: Fugees - Ready or Not
wow,dats sum deepshit ryt there. great wordplay.. she was really ace back then
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by xtervaganza(m): 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
And op, u forgot to add foxy brown

And Lauryn hill is not a rapper na
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by xtervaganza(m): 3:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
pasqal09:
Haven't u heard of nicki Minaj?
worst excuse of a rapper

She would be serving fries at McDonalds if she came out in the 90s cos no one would listen to her wack songs
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by bejeria101(m): 3:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Guy u knw hiphop at all? D only pple dat make d childhood list are da brat,mc lyte,queen latifah unless they just gave birth to you lol

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 40dogzz(m): 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2014
Mc lyte & lady of rage ar the dopest & da illist among them @ll.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by McWhillion(m): 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nihilist: Best female rapper of all time is Rick Ross.

I think she has the biggest b00bz too...though she also has a massive beard. Weird.

Very funny you. lwkmd
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Superstar007(m): 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
gidjah: WERTALKIN MATUREADULT RAPPERS pls,not baby singers who sing wit computers alone and sing junk out of dead vocal box!i rep the 70's and will never be able to cope wit d junk this generation of artist r dishing out as songs!

Okay Baba
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by xtervaganza(m): 4:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
PiperAlpha: Eve is still one of my favourite old school female rappers of all time.
I still rock Eve's "Gotta a Man"; "What y'all Niggaz Want ft dru hill & ruff ryders"; "Who's that girl?"
Eve & DMX collabo rocks like ki lo de
I rep Ruff Ryders!!!!
how about gangsta loving ft. Alicia keys

Let me blow ya mind ft. Gwen Stefani

Hey y'all ft. Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg(I think)

And a lot more
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Word...flows just changed/now we 'bout to change the game. Those were the days man! BX and terror squad, even[b] Tony Sunshine was on there smiling without never putting an album out. I swear Cuban Linx was also on it. Nore - that's my nyggah. Dj Khaled wasn't shouting "we the best" back then[/b] ! grin

Bruv, I think it came out after "New York" - most likely after 50cent dropped "in da club."

However, that "New York" tune was definitely one track that made people actually feel like they were from New York. I'm not even going to lie, that track got me on New York hard - Jay Z's "Empire State" ft A.Keys didn't have the same effect on rap-heads. I'd say only Tupac's "To Live and Die in LA" touched me the same way.

Jadakiss murked the track though.

These bars from Jada's verse did it for me(goddamnit!!):

I swear it couldn't be sweeter
Life's a biiitch depending on how you treat her, you might get rich
It's guaranteed you gonna die, you might get missed
For maybe 2 or 3 hours, till they light their spliffs

Hahaha those guys have been put out of business, they're broke now. lol DJ Khaled was lucky, his " We're the best " shout really helped him. Dude doesn't sing or rap, he just keeps shouting different things on tracks, " Remix " " we make hit records " " that's what we do " what a clown grin

Fat joe's verse was my favourite in Lean back,

Nigga I can see the coke in your nose
This ain't a movie, even he got his head blown on the globe
And I was just about to find god
But now that Ma$e is back, I think I'd much rather find a menage....

I think 50 cent came after him because of that verse.
50 cent ended Ja's career, that beef was the last real hip hop beef there was

Live & die in LA is among my favourite PAC songs, there aren't many songs with the same feel. I didn't like the Jay Z/Alicia keys version of New York, it was kind of posh & didn't represent the ghetto streets. The closest song if say came close after was Lil Kim - Lighters up
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
xtervaganza: how about gangsta loving ft. Alicia keys

Let me blow ya mind ft. Gwen Stefani

Hey y'all ft. Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg(I think)

And a lot more
Yeah yeah yeah....mehn, HIPHOP IS DEAD!!

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
50calibre:
Hahaha those guys have been put out of business, they're broke now. lol DJ Khaled was lucky, his " We're the best " shout really helped him. The dude doesn't sing or rap, he just keeps shouting different things on tracks, " Remix " " we make hit records " " that's what we do " what a clown grin

Fat joe's verse was my favourite in Lean back,

Nigga I can see the coke in your nose
This ain't a movie, even he got his head blown on the globe
And I was just about to find god
But now that Ma$e is back, I think I'd much rather find a menage....

I think 50 cent came after him because of that verse.
50 cent ended Ja's career, that beef was the last real hip hop beef there was

Live & die in LA is among my favourite PAC songs, there aren't many songs with the same feel. I didn't like the Jay Z/Alicia keys version of New York, it was kind of posh & didn't represent the ghetto streets. The closest song if say came close after was Lil Kim - Lighters up

Khalid is getting money - can't hate him on that. But he's a culture vulture. 50cent went after Fat Joe because he was on the "New York" for doing a track with Ja Rule...he went after Jadakiss as well cos of that.

Jay Z played dirty in "Empire State of Mind" by omitting Queens from it. What happened to representing the five boroughs? Jigga is still bitter that Nas killed him on Ether - fvcking Camel! grin But I still rate him though. And "Empire State of Mind" is more or less a remix of Nas' "New York State of Mind" - he stole the concept from Nas.

Lil Kim's "Lighter up" was dope...definitely a classic. In the concrete jungle/the strong stand and rumble/The weak fold and crumble, it's the land of trouble - heavy.

"To Live and Die in LA"(without gay ar.se Dre lol) is my tune - nice video as well!!

Bars from that track that I'll never forget:

Thinking Cali just fun and biitches
Better learn about the dress code Bs and Cs
All them other nyggas copycats, this is Gs
I love Cali like I love woman
Cos every nygga in LA got a little bit of thug in him
We might fight amongst each other but I promise you this
We'll burn this biitch down, get us pissed

And

Cos would it be LA without Mexicans
Black love brown pride and the sets again

^^^Mexicans love this part and I think that's why a lot of them love 2pac. Heck, B-real of Cypress Hill cite those bars from time to time.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
Brick and Lace Nko. undecided
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by GIYAZZ(m): 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex: Lauryn Hill is the best female rapper ever - it's not even close.

She's so good, she's definitely top 15 greatest rappers ever - male and female combined!
Top 15 greatest rappers alive? You are not serious!
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:
[s]1). Nas is your favourite rapper's favourite rapper. He drops scientific, and mathematical bars - and metaphors that Professors had to analyse and break down for normal folks. How can a 17-year old guy think so deep and say, 'I went to hell for snuffing Jesus'? grin Nas is just on the next level. Biggie was a rhymer while Nas is a rap scientist.
2). Illmatic = greatest hip hop album ever. None of Biggie's albums is close.
3). "It was written" shiits on "Life After Death" everyday of the week. I can sit here and listen to "It was written" all day without skipping anything. However "Life After Death" has a lot fillers you just have to skip. Perhaps it's because it's a double CD album - but no one asked them to make it that way. And the single "If I Rule the World" shiits on all the singles on "Life After Death." That Biggie album is one of the most overrated ever. Stillmatic gets an honourable mention. cool
4). Being the self-proclaimed King of anywhere doesn't make you the best lyrically - it has more to do with popularity contest and commercial success. Is T.I better than Scarface, and can he lace Face's shoes lyrically? Ditto Andre 3stacks vs. T.I? It's not even close. But that didn't stop him from calling himself, "The King of the South."
P.S: not taking anything away from Biggie - he was great.
[/s]
REAL recognize REAL! SirShymex is the truth!
I have been looking forward to an intellectual duel with your likes. But Nah. Our perspective on issue is mostly always aligned.
I respect the fact that you talk about what you know with great Insight and introspection!

I don't know how you keep it up; but Nairaland is getting boring no intellectual discuss just trolls who wanna argue bout what they know nothing about. (Gone are the days when I look forward to an evening on Nairaland for mental stimulation with the like AIRDIG, HORUS, SIRSHYMEX
CAP28, HORUS, SAGAMITE etc.)
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Fitz22(f): 5:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lauryn Hill n Eve my favourite...
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by celinababy: 5:44pm On Aug 28, 2014
I love Eve...jst rem dis ha song...Who's dat gal lalalalalallal Eve's dat gal lallallalaall. Dat remind me pls who or wch group sang dis song titled:SCRUB
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
GIYAZZ: Top 15 greatest rappers alive? You are not serious!

Bruv, El Boogie is top 15, and if you want to stretch it to top 20 - it's up to you. But no female rapper is even close.

The big 10: 2pac, Nas, Biggie/Jigga, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Scarface, Big Daddy Kane, Andre 3000, Ice Cube, and KRS-One into the top 10. Then you've got the next level with it Eminem, Slick Rick, Talib Kweli, Black Thought, Mos Def, Snoop, Chuck D, Ghostface, Redman, Big pun, Big L and Raekwon (a lot of the folks here never had the hits and success she had, with a classic album that's one of the greatest hip hop albums with it) - she's somewhere in the mix here.

Heck, I relate to El Boogie far better than Eminem based on content. grin

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
JonBee1:
[/s]
REAL recognize REAL! SirShymex is the truth!
I have been looking forward to an intellectual duel with your likes. But Nah. Our perspective on issue is mostly always aligned.
I respect the fact that you talk about what you know with great Insight and introspection!

I don't know how you keep it up; but Nairaland is getting boring no intellectual discuss just trolls who wanna argue bout what they know nothing about. (Gone are the days when I look forward to an evening on Nairaland for mental stimulation with the like AIRDIG, HORUS, SIRSHYMEX
CAP28, HORUS, SAGAMITE etc.)

This is the message from Nas (Biggie in his grave will never be able to rap like this with supreme technique, metaphors, storytelling etc. - definitely one of the greatest hip hop tunes ever and it's a tune off "It Was Written" at age 20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws3Ks0FGxYM
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
Troll: Some Lines From My Personal Favorite Femcee MC Lyte:
"Many have tried strict regulation.
Lazy motherf**kers get put on probation.
Those that didn't perform well.
They gets no answer when they ring-a-ring-a my bell.
You're playing with my time.
Trying to jerk me hurt me then dessert me.
You better work me.
While you got the oppurtunity.
To be in the midst of the L-Y-T-E.
Only the strong survive.
Only the wise excel.
Once said by my born-in-hell.
Only the lonely die slowly.
Left all alone try to control me.
Easy does it never ask how was it.
Never speak my info why my sheets in the streets.
Cause that ain't cool. And that ain't cute.
To talk about who knocked the boots on a video shoot.
But it's all good, though you gotta get it when you want it.
Like your prey, make your move and hop up on it.
It's natural. Never be ashamed.
F*ck the fame. Get the name, and kick the game." CC: MC Lyte - Keep On, Keepin' On

I can't stop loving these rap lines. One of my favourite MC Lyte's songs feat Xscape. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by henks(m): 6:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
Pls what about Foxy Brown I love that ,why is she not included,where is she now?
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by KlensGlobal: 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
Just played got it by EVE featuring jadakis, that was my favourite those days.

[color=#006600]Brand new octa core phones & Tablets running Android 4.4.2 kit Kat from N15000 up and import anything from China etc. O8IO8I3I92O, www.nairaland.com/1801065/import-cheapest-octa-core-quad
[/color]
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 6:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
Wycleff interview in South Africa a few years ago.

The interviewer was hard on Lauryn Hill, asked if she was washed up (she had a concert in South Africa in which she forgot her lines and was booed off stage), but Wycleff defended her. Rhere was something he said that I'll never forget.

He said that Lauryn only sang, but they wanted her to rap. She was terrible at first, then he gave her MC Lyte and Queen Latifah CDs to study. She came back two days later and blew everybody away. They couldn't believe that it was the same person. She was spitting rhymes like crazy.

1 Like

Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
Eve ..... Missy elliot & Lil' kim
These are d baddest female rappers ever liveth...
Though i'll prefer Lil' kim
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 6:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
Monie Love - Monie In The Middle (1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCwMFwvwieo
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 6:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Queen Latifah dissing Foxy Brown

Queen Latifah - Name Calling (Set It Off Soundtrack)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHx7hudNLwQ
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 7:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
Angie Martinez, Lil Kim, Left Eye, Da Brat & Missy Elliott - Ladies Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoQwdzKm7hk
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by DobleO7: 7:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
Where is Foxy Brown on that list?
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
Eve is married to a Billionaire, and has a clothing line that's flourishing......Wetin she need again?.

Missy Elliot had sometype of disease, which forced her to retire.

Left eye is dead; Same goes for Aliyah.

Queen Latifah is now the new Oprah....She has a very successful talk show, and is very well liked by people...She also don turn lesbo.

Foxy Brown......Last time I heard of her, she was on the news, for hitting someone with her fake nails, and had to appear in court .
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by naptu2: 7:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
Left Eye flow.

Keith Sweat ft Left Eye - How Do You Like It?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0ZsAT2ESE

Donnel Jones ft Left Eye - You Know What's Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mEjkBmDQo
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by 50calibre(m): 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

Khalid is getting money - can't hate him on that. But he's a culture vulture. 50cent went after Fat Joe because he was on the "New York" for doing a track with Ja Rule...he went after Jadakiss as well cos of that.

Jay Z played dirty in "Empire State of Mind" by omitting Queens from it. What happened to representing the five boroughs? Jigga is still bitter that Nas killed him on Ether - fvcking Camel! grin But I still rate him though. And "Empire State of Mind" is more or less a remix of Nas' "New York State of Mind" - he stole the concept from Nas.

Lil Kim's "Lighter up" was dope...definitely a classic. In the concrete jungle/the strong stand and rumble/The weak fold and crumble, it's the land of trouble - heavy.

"To Live and Die in LA"(without gay ar.se Dre lol) is my tune - nice video as well!!

Bars from that track that I'll never forget:

Thinking Cali just fun and biitches
Better learn about the dress code Bs and Cs
All them other nyggas copycats, this is Gs
I love Cali like I love woman
Cos every nygga in LA got a little bit of thug in him
We might fight amongst each other but I promise you this
We'll burn this biitch down, get us pissed

And

Cos would it be LA without Mexicans
Black love brown pride and the sets again

^^^Mexicans love this part and I think that's why a lot of them love 2pac. Heck, B-real of Cypress Hill cite those bars from time to time.

Haha Ether is a vicious diss track, it's one of those diss tracks that's meant to permanently silence you opponent. Nas may have won the rap beef with jigga, but jigga definitely won in general terms. Who knows maybe after the blow Nas dealt him on ether, he decided to join the illuminati grin

Who knows maybe his omission of Queens had something to do with the fact 50 cent is from queens, the two don't see eye to eye.

Most people who's dissed dre either ended up dead or broke, PAC, Eazy e, Suge Knight. maybe the dude belongs somewhere. I keep hearing he's a fa*g.
Re: Female Rappers That Made My Childhood: Have They Retired? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
DobleO7: Where is Foxy Brown on that list?
I was about to ask same question.. I rocked to this track feat black street back in the days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_b8v4hywk

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

List Of Music Schools In Nigeria / Album Of The Year "asa" Download Here / Nigeria Economy Then Vs Now: Moving Forward Or Backward, Remember These Songs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.