Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum (21001 Views)

How Much Is Your House Rent / Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. / Is There A Law In Lagos Regulating House Rent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 29, 2014
Fhemmmy:

You mean 1/12th should pay a yearly rent, that will be low oh
=8.3%, you are right it is too small
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Jarus(m): 10:13pm On Aug 29, 2014
Generally, I believe annual house rent should not be more than your 2 month salary, that's about 17% of your annual net pay.

My own rent at the moment is however just a little above half of my 1 month salary. That's roughly 5% of my annual net pay

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by ify84(m): 10:14pm On Aug 29, 2014
from all una comments.... be like say I am living extravagant...... my yearly rent na 96k......I no de earn salary to calculate my annual income....na hustling tinx, money come today money disappear tomorrow..... just rented d house some 7months ago...
to live for public yard no de my blood again.... but dix 96k de do me one kind.... single though.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by 2aces(m): 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
akinbe: Depends on how much you earn. If you earn 10k monthly and you squat with a friend who has made life a living hell for you, you should use 90% of your salary to get an apartment fast and be free (There is nothing like freedom). However, if you earn as much as 500k monthly but wants to relocate because your daddy still treats you like a baby or you have a wicked landlord or a witch (ayamatanga) landlady, you should use about 10% of your salary.
10% how on earth can one earn 500k per month and still live in a rat hole of 50k per annum? Unless your will says bury with my money when i die!
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
reading this thread it appears to me most of the posters here either have very decent well paid jobs/ businesses or don't live in Lagos.

on the average around Lagos now a Mini Flat is going for 200-350k per annum depending on area. its 250k mostly.

2 bedroom flats start from 350-500k per annum.

applying the various 1 month/ 2 month salary template prescribed here means you are earning 200k and above monthly!

wawuu. NL rich peoples club.

3 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by dremoney(m): 10:26pm On Aug 29, 2014
Fhemmmy:

I dont think it is too much.....
360K Naira a year for accommodation is not too much at all, cos it means you have roughly 840K Naira left for the rest of all expenses.
What kinda job would you be doing to spend money monthly on clothing, in Nigeria, you buy your food in bulk and cook to eat in the house and cut down on your "Point and Kill joint"
Transportation, i will assume you have your own car, and if you dont, i am not familiar with cost of moving from one side to the other in Nigeria.
Fuel will be used only when you are home and for your ride if you have one and i dont see that as breaking the bank, i could be wrong cos i have no idea the cost of buying gas out there.
If you have children, you wont be paying school fees every year.
AGAIN, the 30% to me is the threshold that you wont wanna pass, if you are able to make it smaller, by all means

Not like you could be wrong, you are actually WRONG.

Rent and Mortgage repayments are different. Im sure you know that. 30% on mortgage? YES. 30% to-let a house? NO. 840K can barely run anybody over 2 quarters in Nigeria. Tithe alone is 84k.

I presently spend less than 10% on rent. I live in a decent 3bedroom. Downside is driving another hour than an average person who spends 20-25% on rent ONLY in the evening. I dont face traffic in the morning. Upside is having a better living standard than those who pay higher.

Financial management is a big problem in Nigeria. Peer pressure also is another factor. Folks just put springs on each others legs unnecessarily. Its unfair for someone in lekki to come to Agege in need of some loan to settle school fees. They never learn. Mid life crisis is REAL. You wont have that job forever.

5 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by victorv12(m): 10:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
When 30 percent of your earnings are exhausted on shelter, your labour are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement, but rather as an act of self-preservation. In the real world that's called...slavery.

Nigerians are suffering!

4 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by kehindetayo(m): 10:38pm On Aug 29, 2014
20% for rent
10% for God
20% for savin
40% for food and
10% for bear, babs, and all d bbbbbbbs!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by laivwire(m): 10:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
By the time you spend 30% on the rent! where's the money for buying the furnishings which are like times two or three of the rent. Personally, I believe it depends on your marital status which determines the size of the house and the location to work. 10% I believe is ideal.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2014
Depends on d city n cost of livin. In abuja where I work, except u want to live outside fct, u cnt get a place close to central area wit ur one month salary! Never!
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by laivwire(m): 10:46pm On Aug 29, 2014
2aces: 10% how on earth can one earn 500k per month and still live in a rat hole of 50k per annum? Unless your will says bury with my money when i die!
Oga, you do maths now. If you earn 500k monthly, your annual income is 6m. Living in a house of 600k p.a ain't a bad thing.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by sunnydayasaba(m): 10:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
@Op, With over 6 yrs in financial sector, I assume you earn over 4 Million per annum, So am sure a 2 bedroom will be jst fine for you if your married or planing to get married, So atleast 400k-500k accommodation is jst fine, so that's abt 15% of your take home per anum
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by emiye(m): 10:49pm On Aug 29, 2014
Should not be more than 15% of his TOTAL annual income, or else (s)he might die a tenant.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Acidosis(m): 10:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
Spend whatever you want; and live a happy life.

Some Hotels in Ikoyi charge N70,000 per night. cheesy It doesn't mean those patronizing such hotels make N700,000 per day. I believe in making "yourself" happy. Do not let some economists dictate the short life...

However, one thing we should always avoid is "bad debt".
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by emiye(m): 10:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
Fhemmmy:

I dont think it is too much.....
360K Naira a year for accommodation is not too much at all, cos it means you have roughly 840K Naira left for the rest of all expenses.
What kinda job would you be doing to spend money monthly on clothing, in Nigeria, you buy your food in bulk and cook to eat in the house and cut down on your "Point and Kill joint"
Transportation, i will assume you have your own car, and if you dont, i am not familiar with cost of moving from one side to the other in Nigeria.
Fuel will be used only when you are home and for your ride if you have one and i dont see that as breaking the bank, i could be wrong cos i have no idea the cost of buying gas out there.
If you have children, you wont be paying school fees every year.
AGAIN, the 30% to me is the threshold that you wont wanna pass, if you are able to make it smaller, by all means
30% of income to pay rent in Nigeria is disaster waiting to happen. Things like fuel for generators, buying of water (potable), subscriptions (internet, pay to watch satellite e.t.c) will still take a sizable chunk of the income.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by emiye(m): 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2014
Acidosis: Spend whatever you want; and live a happy life.

Some Hotels in Ikoyi charge N70,000 per night. cheesy It doesn't mean those patronizing such hotels make N700,000 per day. I believe in making "yourself" happy. Do not let some economists dictate the short life...

However, one thing we should always avoid is "bad debt".
The boldened sounds to me like "Spend whatever you want now; and live a poor/sad life later". Human wants are insatiable, as such focus should be on needs, occasional indulgence is understandable.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by pragmatistm(m): 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2014
Chy27: Your salary for a month should cover for your one year rent else you are living above your income.
That's 8.33%..Not bad but some wt big take home pay can afford more. Mine is only about 7.5% of annual pay.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by mexxyaaron(m): 11:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
kopell: Sorry it going to be hard for you to determine that in Naija. If it other side or the world, where good accounting practice exits on incomes. All incomes are well documented and can be verified. Your annual rent should not be more then 30% of income.

30% is too much please,more like 20% max bro.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by EHoudini: 11:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
6% or 2 months pay. Anything above that is beyond your means
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by akinbe(m): 11:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
2aces: 10% how on earth can one earn 500k per month and still live in a rat hole of 50k per annum? Unless your will says bury with my money when i die!

I mean 10% of 500k x 12 months = 600k. But how on earth did you think I meant 50k per annum. I dey madt?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Acidosis(m): 11:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
emiye:
The boldened sounds to me like "Spend whatever you want now; and live a poor/sad life later". Human wants are insatiable, as such focus should be on needs, occasional indulgence is understandable.

Sure, bro. I just do not see the need for the 10% ... 20% talks.

We cannot generalize reasoning that we do not even know his location (we also have bankers in villages). Telling a man living in Ikoyi to spend 10% of 4million on rent may end up living under the bridge. However, 10% of 4million can get the same man a palace in (say) Akure, Ondo state.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by emiye(m): 11:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Acidosis:

Sure, bro. I just do not see the need for the 10% ... 20% talks.

We cannot generalize reasoning that we do not even know his location (we also have bankers in villages). Telling a man living in Ikoyi to spend 10% of 4million on rent may end up living under the bridge. However, 10% of 4million can get the same man a palace in (say) Akure, Ondo state.

If he cant spend 10% of 4 million(total income) to live in Ikoyi, maybe he has no business living in Ikoyi.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Acidosis(m): 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
emiye:

If he cant spend 10% of 4 million(total income) to live in Ikoyi, maybe he has no business living in Ikoyi.
uhmn... If he works there, then he needs to consider traffic issues. He is a banker, remember?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Revolva(m): 12:05am On Aug 30, 2014
na wa o nairaland now is now a testing ground to seek advise..why cant people think..by themselves..sometimes i know these stories are cooked up..and not fa real....fa sure
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by OCTAVO: 12:05am On Aug 30, 2014
If you are still single (without marriage plans for now), you have no business renting a flat. Stay in a self contained apartment. If you are about getting married, you may consider renting a cheap 3 bedroomed apartment. Do not be extravagant, 15 - 20% is still ok.

4 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Adventurist(m): 12:16am On Aug 30, 2014

The question is addressing the percentage of the total annual earning and not monthly salary.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by renzie: 12:19am On Aug 30, 2014
I think this is ok. However, in my family we spend a little below 4% of our income on house rent. I can live anywhere i want in my city but sometimes if you're too comfortable you won't be under pressure to start and finish your own house.
richtubor: One month income. One twelveth should be sustainable.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 30, 2014
meforyou1: Op, your question is hypocritical. I am a federal employee, and earn same with every other of my colleague in any part of this country. But my annual rent in abuja for 3 bedroom is about 2 million, while my colleagues pay about 150 thousand to 250 in 3 bedrooms and duplexes they live in other parts of Nigeria.
Exactly my situation here!
It's eating deep in my heart sad
Sometimes I argue that government should give those of us living in Abuja a pay raise or better still introduce a working mortgage housing scheme. They should also mandate NGOs to adopt similar approach.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Adventurist(m): 12:35am On Aug 30, 2014
Wake up bro. We are talking about real life issue here + responsibilities. This isn't joke, cooked up or fables. They are real personal issues. No everyone posts rubbish here.

Revolva: na wa o nairaland now is now a testing ground to seek advise..why cant people think..by themselves..sometimes i know these stories are cooked up..and not fa real....fa sure
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 12:43am On Aug 30, 2014
Jarus: Generally, I believe annual house rent should not be more than your 2 month salary, that's about 17% of your annual net pay.

My own rent at the moment is however just a little above half of my 1 month salary. That's roughly 5% of my annual net pay
Trust me you wouldn't pull that off in Abuja
Unless you earn over a million monthly, and that wouldn't fetch you more than 2 bedroom flat here too.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 12:51am On Aug 30, 2014
emiye:
You nailed it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikeja Gra Mansion For 475 Milion / Landlords And Landladies Share Your Experiences With Tenants / Cost Of Building & Roofing 3 Bedroom Flat In Nigeria (2021 Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.