Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,989 members, 7,825,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. (30007 Views)

Students Sitting On The Floor At Tafawa-Balewa University For Lectures (Photo) / Varsity Admission Crisis A Time Bomb – Iornem / Once Upon A Time JAMB: Share Your Past Experiences With JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Frandume4mor: 8:31pm On Sep 05, 2014
nna dis life hard shaa !
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 8:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
Igbos leading Naija since 100BC.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by dashdove: 8:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
But what are parents doing about this. Still paying for expo or what?
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 05, 2014
CityNG:

My then 13 year old came home one day and said that "I'll need your help with this homework lesson". "Go talk to your Mum" I said. "It's on web and html Dad and Mum said to talk to you" shed said. WTF, since when do 10 year olds know about html and enough to have home work asignments on them.

So like you said, the world is moving at break neck speeds and Nigeria needs to catch up.

Nigerian kids I believe are wise to whats necessary and what their counterparts are enjoying educationally in developed countries but "na condition make crayfish bend".

I've always felt that a kid born into US/Canada/UK, etc was handed a supreme gift. Unfortunately not all of them use the opportunity.

My oldest Daughter is at Stanford, when I look at the list of students sometimes I see a lot of Nigerian names on there. I wonder if they were born here in the US like my Daughter or if they came from Nigeria at young age. I wish I could ask them to explain the differences that they see.

I get so annoyed when I think about how my parents failed to realize what I did when I wrote that computer program. I didn't even realize what I did until I entered high school and started taking computer science in my second-to-last year. If I had known at the time and if my parents had encouraged me to continue studying computer science, who knows where I would be now. As it is, I'd like to think I'm making them proud so far. Nine years old. Smh. When children show a natural aptitude for something you have to encourage them in that area. My parents wanted me to study medicine. So I wasted an entire semester at university as a bio major, before I switched to information science. And it wasn't until my third semester that I found the courage to actually tell them.

Re: your 10 yr old: The US is probably picking up on the trend of young programmers in Asia. There are some kids that are writing apps and making money from them before they even reach university. I hope you'll encourage her early academic inclinations, like I'm doing with my cousin! smiley

Nigerian children are so brilliant when you give them the tools to succeed.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
CityNG, and you know what the worst part of it is about this "technology is evil" argument? I have a set of young cousins here in the US, and they are SO adapt at using technology, SO much more than I was, and I thought I got started pretty early. There have educational apps available for children to use on these tools that people are deriding as "distractions". Many of the things I still remember to this day, I learned, not at school, but from the educational games I played on my computer at home. God bless my mother for buying that computer. She absolutely insisted that her children be computer literate, and I ended up being placed in a program for gifted students. I got really lucky with my mom.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by clem305D(m): 8:58pm On Sep 05, 2014
The truth is that the younger generation dont believe in education anymore and you dont blame them. Majority of their predecessors are still in the job market...Also our society is more money conscious than education. Easy money factor...etc. Very bad for a country seeking growth. But there is always a way where there is a will...Cheers
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by mandax: 9:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
School kids look at what obtains in Nigeria. Except in recent years that two university graduates presided over Nigeria, scarsely educated people had presided over Nigeria most of the other years since independence. As the Muhammadu Buharis ruled Nigeria and still see themselves being supported by a majorly illiterate and ill-educated lot to come and preside over Nigeria once again, the tendency is there for school kids to shun studies. In rapidly developing countries, intellectuals and technocrats lead, but since 1999 in Nigeria, a skewed political structure and flawed unitary/over-centralized governance system ensure that the political class selects one person from our second or even third eleven squad for us to vote for and formalize as leader.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by JurassicPark: 10:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
Since the whole system in 9ja is corrupt. WAEC is simply capitalising on a weak system to exploit Nigerians. With this situation, at least GCE forms will sell better..
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by eljanfortis(m): 10:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
I did wassce this year and truthfully,i was nt really enthusiastic on preparations,because of 1 reason and that is the foundation i had right from my primary school,this tantamounted to me being able to know what to do,how should you expect sumone that started enjoying concrete education @ class ss1/ss2 to perform awesomely in such an exam that requires gud prequisite...but 4 me twas great,i dont lyk to brag but lemme share ma result wit mai great Nlanders..maths-c6,eng-b3,phy-c4,econs-c6,agric-b3,chem-b3,bios-b3,yor-d7,like if u appreciate wat d result and wat God has done 4 me
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya: [size=13pt]Nigerians, see reason. Are you telling me our entire young generation is inflicted with the same "unseriousness" because of "modern technology"?? GET REAL. What of other countries whose children have access to even more tech gadgets and toys, and 24/7 electricity? Why are they not flunking?? Face the REAL problems in Nigeria's education system and stop that rubbish. Are most schools even equipped with the ICT technologies that are available to help children learn?? And you have the nerve to say they have too much technology. Idiots run this country.[/size]
I think the problem is with the school system stems from poor facilities, both physical and otherwise. The system fails to provide standard and incentives to create platforms where good teachers are employed to educate the students properly.

This is not all about technology looking at some threads in this forum which pointed out how some Nigerian teachers can't read and write properly. Imagine a situation where they have to teach students and expected them to perform excellently well from that perspective.

The system needs total change. A body has to be set up to monitor the quality of teachers in Nigerian schools. A lot of changes have to be made quickly to forestall this problem.

To add a little to your last statement, i d i o t s have been running that country for ages.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by ugwum007(m): 11:07pm On Sep 05, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: ThanK GOD I wrote mine 2013 and made all my papers.
Maths= c6
english= c4
economics= c4
igbo= A1
C.R.K= b3
biology= c6
government= b2
agric science= b3
literature in english= c6
Don't i deserve some likes from you guys? Or una bad belle no gree una?......i still thank God i made it once!!!

with dis ur result, u failed in my family
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 05, 2014
Misterpaul: Here is a table showing the summary of the statistics.

People with low self esteem are shouting "Exam malpractice" "Miracle center" Lol.

This statistics clearly shows the region/states that are educationally forward, Jamb has also proved the same thing.
But, still some insecured and deluded people will be deceiving themselves that they are the most educated in Nigeria just to stroke there dented ego..
Instead of them to use this statistics as a fact to wake there leaders up to do something about the falling standard of education, they are here shouting "malpractice"
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
pls i will like to knw if they arrange it according to an individual state, no matter were u r sitting for the exam.? eg if u r frm Anambra nd u sat for d exam in Gombe, will u be counted as among gombe weac candidate or Anambra's.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by JerryJJZ(m): 11:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
pDude:

You are here running your tribaliatic, ignorant mouth instead of weeping for the bog your country is sinking into.

Chai!

Who is talking of discrimination or tribalism here? I simply expressed my feelings and experience, 95 of the candidates that passed in Osun can publicly defend their results compared to Edo where not even 10% can stand up with their result perhaps you were helped during your SSCE
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by 1k001(m): 12:33am On Sep 06, 2014
I'm not sure many of us understand the significance of the data presented in this thread.

What i glean from it in summary is that even in the state with the best results, close to 40% of students are unable to meet the minimum standard required to be certified as having a secondary school education.

What is this minimum standard: 5 credits - this is at least 50% - in subjects to include english and maths.

If 70% of secondary school leavers can not be certified to have at least a passable knowledge in english, math and a few other subjects then we indeed have a crisis on our hands. What are they going to amount to in their post secondary education life one wonders!

Our target should be 100% with no kid left behind. We owe our young people at the very least, basic literacy and numeracy and an ability to learn that will enable them to go on to achieve success in their future lives.

To help this i will seek out secondary school students in my area and tutor them to achieve an 'A' in the subjects i'm familiar with. I enjoin others to do same and promote the use of educational apps such as prepclass.com.ng among others.

If you think it's not your problem, wait and see how that secondary school failure will become the robber (read politician) that will torment you and your family's life.

Our education is in crisis and the students are not to be blamed in the slightest.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by sampepe12: 1:12am On Sep 06, 2014
what about schools that there results are been held, any hope for waec to release them? my small boy wan use cry kill me oooo.. I need answers!
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by musicwriter(m): 1:23am On Sep 06, 2014
The education system itself is built upon failure. What do you expect?.

The solution though as it relates to science subjects have been made known to all at the below link. Those who have ears let them hear.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by adconline(m): 2:45am On Sep 06, 2014
Anambra state with over 4 million people registered 51,718 students and over 34k students got 5 credits and above. Kano with 9.5m registered only 66k students and only 18K got 5 credits and above. Borno with over 4 million people similar to Anambra population, registered 31K students and ONLY 4868 students got 5 credits and above. Kano and Borno are homes to Boko Haram. What are their governors doing to send their kids to school? So for every 1-university bound student Borno produces, Anambra produces 7 while Kano produces less than 2. Makes you wonder if Boko Haram is going away soon
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 06, 2014
JerryJJZ:

Who is talking of discrimination or tribalism here? I simply expressed my feelings and experience, 95 of the candidates that passed in Osun can publicly defend their results compared to Edo where not even 10% can stand up with their result perhaps you were helped during your SSCE

Dummy. I took my WAEC 14 years ago when people still read their books and didn't rely on expo.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Elmickzy(m): 8:09am On Sep 06, 2014
Can U Imagine A Student Hearing A Richest Man Or Woman Saying She Didnt Further To Tertiary Institutions Buh Still Yet He/she Succeed, There Should Be Motivation Only On Education Nt On Money And Luxury

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by babestell(f): 8:10am On Sep 06, 2014
MissMeiya: CityNG, and you know what the worst part of it is about this "technology is evil" argument? I have a set of young cousins here in the US, and they are SO adapt at using technology, SO much more than I was, and I thought I got started pretty early. There have educational apps available for children to use on these tools that people are deriding as "distractions". Many of the things I still remember to this day, I learned, not at school, but from the educational games I played on my computer at home. God bless my mother for buying that computer. She absolutely insisted that her children be computer literate, and I ended up being placed in a program for gifted students. I got really lucky with my mom.

Please can you share the apps and programs/educational games or links to them. I download some from the android market but I dnt mind having better dedicated ones without all those stupid adverts
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 06, 2014
ugwum007:

with dis ur result, u failed in my family
wow!!! Your family must be extraordinarily blessed academically...........but my family celebrated me.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Prescott001(m): 8:57am On Sep 06, 2014
...▶
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Prescott001(m): 8:57am On Sep 06, 2014
Am not please with my result at all...
Maths-B3
English-A1
Govt-B3
literature-A1
History-B2
CRS-A1
civic -A1
Trade-B2
Econs-c5
how do u see this?
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by DAvIt0(m): 9:08am On Sep 06, 2014
MissMeiya: [size=13pt]Nigerians, see reason. Are you telling me our entire young generation is inflicted with the same "unseriousness" because of "modern technology"?? GET REAL. What of other countries whose children have access to even more tech gadgets and toys, and 24/7 electricity? Why are they not flunking?? Face the REAL problems in Nigeria's education system and stop that rubbish. Are most schools even equipped with the ICT technologies that are available to help children learn?? And you have the nerve to say they have too much technology. Idiots run this country.[/size]

Thank you for this Post MissMeiya... This our Edu system really bad
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by JerryJJZ(m): 10:08am On Sep 06, 2014
pDude:

Dummy. I took my WAEC 14 years ago when people still read their books and didn't rely on expo.

i wrote mine twice, one myself and d second helped,,, i can differentiate between being proud of an average result and jst goin wt a nice one,,,,, i knw wot am sayin
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by searay(m): 12:34pm On Sep 06, 2014
guiddoti: I see, one of the old babies. You had better grow fast and learn the rudiment of life.
will you Shut up?
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by eronmosele75(m): 4:24pm On Sep 06, 2014
Academic success is feedback.Academic failure too is feedback.Academic failure is a feedback that we don't know how to achieve academic success yet.Rather than fight,condemn and get mad at this feedback,I would suggest we channel this energy in learning how to achieve academic success easily and legally.There's a book I would recommend for anyone who desires to acquire the knowledge of how to achieve academic success without stress and legally.
FROM THIS AMAZING BOOK,YOU WILL LEARN AND MASTER:
1.The 3 secrets of students with super-retentive memories
2.The 9 Habits of highly successful students.
3.How to awaken your passion to learn(The most important secret every genius student takes to school daily)
4.How to set and achieve any academic goal you set for yourself.
5.Foods you can eat and games you can play to awaken your mental powers
6.The 2 major secrets of academic success.
BOOK PRICE:#1,000.
To order call:08023931819,08034969993.

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by t2luv1: 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
otijah: according to the above post "However, eight out of the 36 states in Nigeria recorded a score less than 10%. These states include Adamawa, Jigawa, Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi. Others are Gombe, Bauchi and Yobe". what is wrong with the educational sector in the north?

Then why are they the one running all the big positions in the country goverment. By the Minister for Education is from what part of the country that might help in answering some questions.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by chibexme(m): 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
How To Send Unlimited Free SMS Daily Through Your Mobile Phone Or Tablet

1) Download "Ozioma" app from Google Play for Android users or Blackberry AppWorld for Blackberry users.

2) If you are using Blackberry and do not have BB subscription visit http://ozioma.net through your phone and download from Ozioma website.

3) If you already have Ozioma app installed on your mobile phone or tablet with version less than 2.3, upgrade to start enjoying free SMS.

4) Create account if you wish to keep track of your sent messages. Account creation is optional.

Note: this service is not a promo, its free and unlimited for real.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by guiddoti: 10:45pm On Sep 06, 2014
Prescott001: Am not please with my result at all...
Maths-B3
English-A1
Govt-B3
literature-A1
History-B2
CRS-A1
civic -A1
Trade-B2
Econs-c5
how do u see this?
You mean not ok. Then, boil rock! Or return to sambisa forest for tutorial
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by ugwum007(m): 5:15pm On Sep 19, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: wow!!! Your family must be extraordinarily blessed academically...........but my family celebrated me.

yea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pius Ojemolon Bags 19 Awards At University Of Benin Convocation / FUTMinna Orders 100-Level Students To Withdraw / Simple Looking But Difficult Pattern, Only Geniuses Can Get This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.