Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,946 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

Reasons Why Nokia Should Not Have Signed With Microsoft - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Reasons Why Nokia Should Not Have Signed With Microsoft (577 Views)

Is Typing The Only Thing You Can Do With Microsoft Office / I Will Buy It: Anyone With Microsoft Project 2007 Software With The Crack, Pls? / Help With Microsoft Outlook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Nokia Should Not Have Signed With Microsoft by LayGiri: 11:15am On Aug 30, 2014
We all know Nokia’s phone division has been sold to Microsoft in it’s entirety. But that’s not the signing I’m referring to. So let’s keep reading shall we?

Do you remember those many years ago when Nokia was the biggest mobile phone brand in the world and the Symbian OS was the in thing? Back then Nokia would build strong phones with unrivaled battery life in lots of funny shapes and sizes. We didn’t care, we loved them and we bought them. Matter of fact everyone must have handled or owned a Nokia phone in their life time (except you are really young as in the indomie generation kids). Point is, Nokia had a good thing till they made the worst mistake they probably could and they did it on purpose too.

In April 2011 Microsoft and Nokia announced a deal worth billions of dollars which inadvertently meant future Nokia phones would only carry Microsoft’s Windows OS. Didn’t seem like a bad deal at the time, in fact in a press release/ joint statement I extracted this quote;

Microsoft delivering the Windows Phone platform to Nokia will enable Nokia to significantly reduce operating expenses.

What they forgot to mention was that gradually Nokia will not only lose market share drastically, but also, Nokia will fade into obscurity up till the point where Microsoft will then be able to buy it’s phone division and lay off thousands of Workers. OK maybe it’s not as terrible as I make it sound… Or is it?

Lumia phones are great, wonderful vibrant cameras and screens and what not. Their fundamental problem being their OS. The Windows phone store is mediocre at best. Barely any apps worth your while. I mean Instagram and BBM just got on there. I think the only OS doing more poorly than Windows will have to be BlackBerry’s BB10 OS. And that’s putting it mildly because most people would still rather buy a Z10 than buy a Lumia 720. True story.

Now imagine a world in reverse, imagine Nokia didn’t sign that deal and opted to sign with Google for an exclusive Android OS deal. Or better they continued to freelance on software. Imagine the first phone with Android 4.4 kitkat was CONTINUE READING ON AUTHOR WEBSITE

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Smile Communication Launches 4G Service In Abuja / How Much Do You Want It. A Pc (desktop) With Bleeding Edge Tech. / Hp Laptop For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.