Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,364 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Names Of God And Their Meanings - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Names Of God And Their Meanings (65162 Views)

Photos: Hilarious Names Of Churches/ Ministries / Dreams And Their Meanings/ Interpretation / Top 10 Common Dreams And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Jesuspistol(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2014
Na wah o.

Na only sundays nairalanders dey remember God. Tomorrow now wetin we go dey see for FP na matter of can u accept ur ex back after she abandon u...bla bla bla.

2 Likes

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2014
And names of doGs nko?

Bingo.
Wasky.
Eke Uke.
German Shepherd
Chiwawa.

2 Likes

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Maximus85(m): 2:45pm On Aug 31, 2014
Jehovah - Sharwama nko? How many names has God said to be his name? He only gave us one name which is JEHOVAH.

I saw the OP displayed her lack of Bible knowlegde when she said Jehovah - Yahweh is also God's name. What is Jehovah, What is Yahweh? One is English and the other is Hebrew.
Exodus 3:15 (your translation) "God said to Moses, Say this to the people, the Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you': this is my name for ever,and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations"

Please ooo, I don't know if I don't understand simple English. Where is the NAME God was talking about in the Verse? All I can see is "I am The Lord" Is that a name?

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Alexk2(m): 2:46pm On Aug 31, 2014
@ Seun, pls define what you mean by derailing according to ur almighty rules....this is becoming neccessary coz itz obvious you are tolerating all those athiests and like minds who wont stop at anything but derail, post insulting comments, abuse posters sensitivity in almost any Christian related topics.
It doesn't concern me if you yourself is an athiest, pls.. all i'm saying is that, if you are applying those ur rules/laws in other sections, you must apply it in religious section too....to tell you the truth, itz in religious section that you need more monitoring and enforcing of those rules.
I've never insulted anybody for been an athiest, a JW, a muslim or a herbalist and i respect individuals choice and hence wont poke my nose into any thread created by any let alone posting/commenting offensively and i do seriously expect same from all other religious mind.

For the JW brothren, you don't need to always force you doctrine on others, pls....no need to argue on nairaland when you know your biblical viewpoints is different from other Christians....creat ur own thread if you are not owk with others'...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Drdreluv: 2:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
David Oyedepo Ministries International Inc. wrote:

PROPHETIC DECLARATIONS FOR THIS WEEK!!!
Every wall of Jericho in your life will not crossover with you to next month!
The oil of praise will remain ever fresh on your life!
Receive grace to make the most of the new month ahead of you in Jesus' name!
Every prophetic declaration that you have received shall find fulfillment in your life this year in Jesus’ name!
Receive the grace to keep loving and serving Jesus forever!
Every of your hanging inheritance comes down for you in Jesus' name!
I see the heaven open over your life!
God is taking over every issue of your life today!
Whatever force that has held you down, will let you go apologizing to you in the name of Jesus!
For every shame around your life, God is granting you double glorification!
My God is turning your trials into testimonies in the name of Jesus!
Your children shall not be found in the low places of the earth in Jesus' name!
You are changing levels today!
This year you will emerge as a man to be wondered at!
Grace to pursue God for a lifetime, receive it now in Jesus' name!
No turning back for you in Jesus name!
God will trouble your troublers today in Jesus’ name!
Every siege over your destiny is lifted in Jesus' name!
When you have done all you can about that situation, tune in to praise and watch God take over the case.
Things are turning in your favour!
Follow us on Twitter @DrDavidOyedepo
Please visit www.domionlinestore.org for books that will boost your faith for your desired breakthroughs.

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Maximus85(m): 2:56pm On Aug 31, 2014
Alexk2: @ Seun, pls define what you mean by derailing according to ur almighty rules....this is becoming neccessary coz itz obvious you are tolerating all those athiests and like minds who wont stop at anything but derail, post insulting comments, abuse posters sensitivity in almost any Christian related topics.
It doesn't concern me if you yourself is an athiest, pls.. all i'm saying is that, if you are applying those ur rules/laws in other sections, you must apply it in religious section too....to tell you the truth, itz in religious section that you need more monitoring and enforcing of those rules.
I've never insulted anybody for been an athiest, a JW, a muslim or a herbalist and i respect individuals choice and hence wont poke my nose into any thread created by any let alone posting/commenting offensively and i do seriously expect same from all other religious mind.

For the JW brothren, you don't need to always force you doctrine on others, pls....no need to argue on nairaland when you know your biblical viewpoints is different from other Christians....creat ur own thread if you are not owk with others'...

Nobody is forcing anything on you. And we will never insult anybody. We don't do it. All our preaching work is done with great respect. We are the most peaceful on earth.

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Owoplenty(m): 2:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
What of Eledumare,Oyigiyigi ,Alagba ina? or our grannies dont have the concept of GOD?
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by klarke(m): 3:02pm On Aug 31, 2014
NoContract:
So Jesus is now God? Or a [lesser] god?

I need your viewpoint. OP!

Christians confusing each other since 11 C.E

Jesus is God! Period.
One day, He will appear in the sky, riding on a swift
cloud, shining like the sun, enforcing judgment on
the earth. He is the Alpha & Omega. He is the Lion & the
Lamb. He is the most merciful & most
compassionate. The holy One. The Almighty. He
wraps Himself in light. He is beautiful beyond
comprehension. He is indescribable, unsearchable,
uncontainable, unchangeable, the ancient One, the I
Am.... Human mind cannot understand God, you cannot
put God in your small mold. He is way bigger than
we can ever imagine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by kinharold(m): 3:11pm On Aug 31, 2014
but his real name is JEHOVAH no prefix, no suffix
His REAL and ONLY name is Jehovah or Yaweh (Old transliteration) all the above @post and the rest like it are just attributes and praise adjective.
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Alexk2(m): 3:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
Maximus85: Nobody is forcing anything on you. And we will never insult anybody. We don't do it. All our preaching work is done with great respect. We are the most peaceful on earth.
I guess u rep..JW.
yes, i knw you pple re peaceful and hardly insult but you always derail threads with your so so different views and strong arguement. Everybody dont have to see things in the same way
we both know your biblical uderstanding is different from other Christians and i have no problem with that but dont derail threads just because you dont agree with the views presented....
Peace!

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
Alexk2: @ Seun, pls define what you mean by derailing according to ur almighty rules....this is becoming neccessary coz itz obvious you are tolerating all those athiests and like minds who wont stop at anything but derail, post insulting comments, abuse posters sensitivity in almost any Christian related topics.

LMFAO. Na today. But when it's the reverse it's not derailing, abi? Poor persecuted Christians.

....H
...y
....p
......o
........c
......r
.......i
.....s
......y

2 Likes

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Ayoola171(m): 4:34pm On Aug 31, 2014
Arugbo- Ojo, Adagbamatepa, Adagbamapaaro-Oye, Agagunmafi-tibonse, Obatonfobaje, Obatongbadobale-awonoba.
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 31, 2014
frankben: Glitest, you prefer the "share" option to the "like" option. Na only you waka come smiley/

Hahahaha!!.... I'm trying out the share button, to see if I like it. wink
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by ghostofsparta(m): 5:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
Africa, particularly Nigeria will never be on the same industrialized level as the progressing and technologically advanced Asians who are strongly in touch with their pagan/traditional root, for it is unfortunate that someone like the OP and the other who listed Arabic names of an Arab idols are the majority in this colonial nation and in it government. How can we move forward? It is appalling to see the minds of my fellow youths has been irredeemably conditioned by their brainwashed parents and the profit-making, jet-owning pastors and religious houses to believe Jehovah and or Allah of the Jewish and Arabic tribes are our salvation and the only solution to our problem, while failing to realize that despite the so called leaders of Nigeria keep swearing oath with any of the two Holy Book these Abrahamic idols are based on, before assuming office but nevertheless still continue to indulge in heinous corruption borne out of utter greed, because they knew and have seen that no Jesus nor Mohammed nor Allah nor Yahweh has done anything to punish them, nor has there been any angel nor malak has ever descended from heaven or al-jana to deal with them for swearing on the names of their lord and as a result there's extreme retrogression in the country and may continue to be. For instance no steady electricity supply since the colonials left, horrible roads everywhere, lack of social amenities and basic infrastructure that any modern society is defined by such as uninterrupted electricity supply instead of generator importation, absence of mass transit achievable through functioning railway system as there is all over Europe but instead the same adopted Abrahamic religions is constantly utilized by the leaders of Christendom and Islamdom in Nigeria to knowingly (but unconcerned) plunge the republic deeper into an anomic society by continuing to euphemized its followers with the materialistic notion that the proof of God's blessing in your life (reverse psychology) is if you can acquire fortune and wealth (by any means provided tithes and offerings are regularly paid), drive luxury cars (that we don't manufacture but import), then what threat should the unavailability of electricity supply pose when you can buy the best electric generator or biggest diesel plant (which is an import depended industry in Nigeria). Thanks to thousands of Nigerian leaders of these Abrahamic religions the youths are becoming more decadent as trends passes by, check out the sort of lewd music and videos spinning out here and there, the kinds of lascivious "boskona/bendown-select" massively imported for our female-folks to exhibit their features for irresponsible married men who flash the cash looted from whatever branch of the government or private sector they may have corruptly fixed themselves through man-know-man, clique-pact or intimidation breeding more incompetency and perpetually driving a cycle of square pegs in round holes system to which when the heat is hot they remember to resort to the diabolic aspect of native mysticism. It is part of human nature to be violent, loyal, lustful, greedy, dishonest, angry, loving etc because they are all constructed from the emotion triggered by either a physical or psychological stimuli but each and every society of the world have devised various ways to curb this mortal proclivities from check and balances to types of government perfected to suit their system of living without anything to do with religion. Now that this kinds of government is adopted in Nigeria and fused with Abrahamic religions, Nigeria can never work, and if you think it will one day, then where's the sign, from plane crashes, to crippled national security resulting to internal terrorism (Boko Haram) to kidnapping and armed robberies (unemployment), to crippled health system (Ebola and malaria surge) etc. There would still be cases of embezzlement and misappropriation of public funds for ours is a breed of humankind that doesn't understand the concept of rule of law of a given constitution as they do in those country where these concepts where created and perfected to manage and govern their society, hence various kinds of government and system of rule that best suit them, now to import that here to use and apply will never WORK for ours are the lawbreaking lawmakers who with impunity would continue to trample over the oppressed and widen the gap between class. Hence it should suffice that the only solution is the re-invention of the traditional check and balance that our ancestors used in ancient times to suppress and eventually kill any corrupt disposition by making any would-be candidate to pledge his/her manifestos by swearing a binding oath never to do so, so and so in the contactivated presence of sixteen to thirty two of the native deities of the land that whatsoever a way shall be taken to reverse it should bring forth a wrath so devastating his/her beloved ones shall perish for EKWENSU and OGUN and ISHOKI and AZIZA and SANGO and MAZHILLI and CHIDON and SHOPONA and AYILALA and MAGIRO and OSISIKANKWU and OGHENE and OKIJA and AMADIOHA and eighteen other aggressive deities are more than up to the task, all they just need to do is to steal a penny and the result is seen instanta! The difference between all our various native deities who are all subject to OLODUMARE/ABASI/CHUKWU/UBANGIJI/ and the idols called Allah and Yahweh(Jehovah) is that no one needs to behead any oath violator as it proudly carried out in Saudi Arabia, no one needs to defend these native deities of our ancestral lands which our ancestors used to govern their society peacefully centuries before the advent of the missionaries and jihadists who used deception to demonize what we had and usurp our lands and enslave our thought process. The native deities are automatic after been configured towards a specific task. But unfortunately the generations of today are bereft of the native knowledge associated with these deities and will instead make list of all the names the Arabs calls an elevated idol from the Quraysh tribe and the Jews call a Canaanite idol from a semitic tribe.

The discuss continue here

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 31, 2014
glitest:

Hahahaha!!.... I'm trying out the share button, to see if I like it. wink
haha grin grin.... Keep trying. grin grin

how your sunday dey go na?

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Orikinla(m): 5:26pm On Aug 31, 2014
Youngsage: These are Great Names to Praise God! I got this list from a friend. Our God is truly awesome! smiley smiley

First list contains the Names of God in The Bible,
from the Old Testament; followed by The Names of God from the New Testament. Enjoy, and give praise to Our Abba Father and Jehovah El-Elyon!

Wonderful Names of Praise to Our God and their meanings…

“O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is
your name in all the earth!” ~ Psalm 8:1, ESV

NAMES OF GOD FROM THE OLD
TESTAMENT

ELOHIM……Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
meaning “God”, a reference to God’s
power and might.

ADONAI……Malachi 1:6
meaning “Lord”, a reference to the
Lordship of God.

JEHOVAH–YAHWEH…..Genesis 2:4
a reference to God’s divine salvation.

JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM…….Exodus 31:13
meaning “The Lord thy sanctifier”

JEHOVAH-ROHI……Psalm 23:1
meaning “The Lord my shepherd”

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH…….Ezekiel 48:35
meaning “The Lord who is present”

JEHOVAH-RAPHA………Exodus 15:26
meaning “The Lord our healer”

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU……Jeremiah 23:6
meaning “The Lord our righteousness”

JEHOVAH-JIREH………Genesis 22:13-14
meaning “The Lord will provide”

JEHOVAH-NISSI………Exodus 17:15
meaning “The Lord our banner”

JEHOVAH-SHALOM……..Judges 6:24
meaning “The Lord is peace”

JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH……Isaiah 6:1-3
meaning “The Lord of Hosts”

EL-ELYON…………..Genesis
14:17-20, Isaiah 14:13-14
meaning “The most high God”

EL-ROI…………….Genesis 16:13
meaning “The strong one who sees”

EL-SHADDAI…………Genesis 17:1, Psalm
91:1 meaning “The God of the mountains or
God Almighty”

EL-OLAM……………Isaiah 40:28-31
meaning “The everlasting God”

MORE NAMES OF GOD : FROM THE OLD & NEW TESTAMENT

ABBA………………………..Romans 8:15

ADVOCATE…………………….I John 2:1
(kjv)

ALMIGHTY…………………….Genesis 17:1

ALPHA……………………….Revelation 22:13

AMEN………………………..Revelation 3:14

ANCIENT OF DAYS………………Daniel 7:9

ANOINTED ONE…………………Psalm 2:2

APOSTLE……………………..Hebrews 3:1

ARM OF THE LORD………………Isaiah 53:1

AUTHOR OF LIFE……………….Acts 3:15

AUTHOR OF OUR FAITH…………..Hebrews 12:2

BEGINNING…………………….Revelation 21:6

BLESSED & HOLY RULER…………..1 Timothy 6:15

BRANCH……………………….Jeremiah 33:15

BREAD OF GOD………………….John 6:33

BREAD OF LIFE…………………John 6:35

BRIDEGROOM……………………Isaiah 62:56

BRIGHT MORNING STAR…………… Revelation 22:16

CHIEF SHEPHERD…………………1 Peter 5:4

CHOSEN ONE…………………….Isaiah 42:1

CHRIST………………………..Matthew 22:42

CHRIST OF GOD………………….Luke 9:20

CHRIST THE LORD………………..Luke 2:11

CHRIST, SON OF LIVING
GOD……….Matthew 16:16

COMFORTER……………………..John 14:26(kjv)

COMMANDER……………………..Isaiah 55:4

CONSOLATION OF ISRAEL…………… Luke 2:25

CONSUMING FIRE………………….Deut. 4:24, Heb. 12:29

CORNERSTONE…………………….Isaiah 28:16

COUNSELOR………………………Isaiah 9:6

CREATOR………………………..1 Peter 4:19

HALLELUJAH!
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by eminex(m): 5:26pm On Aug 31, 2014
His name is Jehovah. The other are titles. Besides @op u couldn't make the distinction between God & His Son Jesus Christ.
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by ovanny15(f): 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2014
Onye OMA oge nile ka CHIM burum
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Infoay: 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
To God be all the glory.
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Hopeyeme: 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2014
Truly our God is Gr8t
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by okechukwu3: 6:52pm On Aug 31, 2014
Unchangeable God
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by macof(m): 8:00pm On Aug 31, 2014
Mintayo: He is God alone! There is none beside him.
He is the God of of gods.
The King of kings.
The Lord of lords.
He is Who He says He Is.
He is the Most Powerful, Most Gracious, Most Forgiven, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate, Most fearful.
He is Omnipresent, Omniscience, omnipotent!

There's no such thing as God of Gods
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Paulonminyi: 8:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
idoma vasion:Ondu, Omayamaya, Odobogagu, Akpabana, Agaba kolekujuda, Owoichada, Owoicho onyi, Owoicho Alekwiho and so on.

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Alexk2(m): 9:37pm On Aug 31, 2014
MissMeiya;

LMFAO. Na today. But when it's the reverse it's not derailing, abi? Poor persecuted Christians.

....H
...y
....p
......o
........c
......r
.......i
.....s
......y

Happy now?.....clap for yourself. pls.

1 Like

Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Revolva(m): 11:25pm On Aug 31, 2014
Paulonminyi: idoma vasion:Ondu, Omayamaya, Odobogagu, Akpabana, Agaba kolekujuda, Owoichada, Owoicho onyi, Owoicho Alekwiho and so on.
Odobogagu is igala well idomas use d same diety igalas use ....in igala we have die like ojochamachala ..ojor which is god
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:10am On Sep 01, 2014
frankben: haha grin grin.... Keep trying. grin grin

how your sunday dey go na?

Okay oh; I sure will grin grin grin.....My Sunday was fantastic... thanks for asking;Your's?
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 01, 2014
glitest:

Okay oh; I sure will grin grin grin.....My Sunday was fantastic... thanks for asking;Your's?
mine was cool. Goodmorning.
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by benELOHIM7(m): 11:04am On Sep 01, 2014
chai..true true satan is a master-deceiver cry
PAGAN9JA: [size=18pt]Amadioha : Odinani (v 2:13)

Ekwensu : Odinani (v 14:02)

Shango : Ifa Orisha (v 32:12)

Osun : Ifa Orsiha (v 10: 29)

Sarkin Iskoki : Maguzanci (v 7:02)

Magiro : Maguzanci (v 31:03)

Azhilli : Ashim Ombatse (v : 2:09 - Alakyo)

Chidon : Apa-Jukun (v 67:09)

Ama : Apa-Jukun (v 12:43)

Iju : Marghi (v 9:18 )

Hyel-Koda : Marghi (v 34:96)

Oghene : Erivwin-Epha Urhobo (v 52:05)

Aziza : Erivwin-Epha Urhobo (v 10:08)

Kumen : Pulaagu Mbororoen (v 22:19)

Geno : Pulaagu Mbororoen (v 42:08)[/size]
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 01, 2014
Ayoola171: Arugbo- Ojo, Adagbamatepa, Adagbamapaaro-Oye, Agagunmafi-tibonse, Obatonfobaje, Obatongbadobale-awonoba.
hey Good morning, really wish to get some information from you if don't mind.. I will like to have your email address. Thank you smiley
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Ayoola171(m): 11:55am On Sep 01, 2014
MarvellousGod: hey Good morning, really wish to get some information from you if don't mind.. I will like to have your email address. Thank you smiley
akinwunmiayoola@ymail.com
Re: Names Of God And Their Meanings by Orikinla(m): 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Staunch Catholic Couple's Pre-Wedding Pictures / Oblate Eusebius Oguizu Is Dead: Founder Of Block Rosary Crusade In Nigeria Dies / David Ibiyeomie Uses Limousine For His Awareness Rally In Port-Harcourt (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.