Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

I Need Real Programmer Friends - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need Real Programmer Friends (1430 Views)

Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? / What It Takes To Be A Real Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Real Programmer Friends by Laryokeke: 11:14am On Sep 01, 2014
The person who goes into programming for money will never go far.

Programming requires a consciousness of the amazing magic involved in creating a thing and watching others find it useful. Money MUST BE SECONDARY.

In that sense, Nigeria has very few programmers indeed. Many people I find here are just looking for how to make their next meal. Seun himself does not strike me as a programmer. When I think of his profile, I see an advanced blogger (or has he written any other app?). And Linda? lols

Am a programmer in 9 languages and I write code cause its fun. If anyone has the same passion, could they reach me on 07030692244 via SMS. am neither on Facebook nor whatsapp. I have so many things we could do and will gladly work on any insanely cool project too..

3 Likes

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by nollyj: 11:39am On Sep 01, 2014
Priority and circumstances differ from individuals. If you have a family to provide for, is it not the best to provide a service (programming) for money?

Before you stop thinking about money, some of the basic necessities of life have been provided in one way or the other. Apart from that money will be an issue.

Programming without thinking about money IMHO is for people under parental care or someone that have another source of income and consider doing something fun with his or her spare time.

7 Likes

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by toshodei: 11:42am On Sep 01, 2014
Laryokeke: The person who goes into programming for money will never go far.

Programming requires a consciousness of the amazing magic involved in creating a thing and watching others find it useful. Money MUST BE SECONDARY.

In that sense, Nigeria has very few programmers indeed. Many people I find here are just looking for how to make their next meal. Seun himself does not strike me as a programmer. When I think of his profile, I see an advanced blogger (or has he written any other app?). And Linda? lols

Am a programmer in 9 languages and I write code cause its fun. If anyone has the same passion, could they reach me on 07030692244 via SMS. am neither on Facebook nor whatsapp. I have so many things we could do and will gladly work on any insanely cool project too..

I feel you, but I think that it is all about the condition. I mean we are all trying to survive. We all trying to make it by any means necessary. Whether thru Music or Programming, we are all trying to get to the top. Mr. Seun might and then again he might not be a programmer or better yet he might just be a blogger but the truth remains that he is richer than many people who come on this site around the world. I mean, I know that he has more money than me. Not only that but he has a site that is ranked 8th in Nigeria and 912 globally. Like how many REAL DEVELOPERS/PROGRAMMERS (according to your definition) have achieved that compared to the amount of REAL DEVELOPERS/PROGRAMMERS (according to your definition) that put the time in? Go to Silicon Valley. Experts who are probably better than the best developers/programmers on Nairaland fail consistently. You say you can program in 9 languages? That is nice. Some can do more, and they'll never make a name for themselves. They will never be known to the world. I congratulate you on having 9 programming languages, that is an honor. What are some of your ideas/projects that you will like people to work on with you? Have u developed any apps/software? Nairaland can be improved but whether he is a programmer or not, he will go down in history as someone that created a forum that many Nigerians all across the world used to communicate/interact with each other.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by toshodei: 11:48am On Sep 01, 2014
nollyj: Priority and circumstances differ from individuals. If you have a family to provide for, is it not the best to provide a service (programming) for money?

Before you stop thinking about money, some of the basic necessities of life have been provided in one way or the other. Apart from that money will be an issue.

Programming without thinking about money IMHO is for people under parental care or someone that have another source of income and consider doing something fun with his or her spare time.

So true and well said. Not everybody has the same benefits. We are all just trying.
Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by asalimpo(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
@op
i admire ur passion for d craft.
Packg 9 languages under ur belt not a toy feat.
But to do programming,whether for fun or for profit, resources must b spent. Time,rent(accomodation),food(u eat while "hobbisizing" *excuse d grammer smiley. No time to wait for dictionaries to catch up * , machines (depreciating with use),internet etc. The way u program when u ar d one paying ur way will change drastically than if ur just hobbisizing.

@toshodei
yeah , ppl point to popular icons like bill gates,seun,larry ellison,steve jobs etc.
And define success in terms of money,fame and recognition.
This is wrong on many levels.
For one, seun has ppl helpg him realize his vision. So does bill gates and zuckerberg. The unknown programmers wrkg at facebook ,google,microsoft ar not inferior or lesser achievers. They may die unknown and poor/not rich but they are as important as the founder of d company.

success to me is discovering,developing and expressing your inborn potentials. That's all . Fame and money is secondary*
i like thnkg ppl are like animals in type though we're physcally similar. A lion is slow in movement but very strong.
A cheetah is sleek and fast but not strong as a lion.
A dove is neat,gentle ,beautiful .
A tortoise is irritatingly slow,ugly
A dog is gregarious and playful and loyal
A cat is a loner very alert
A parrot is talkative
etc
Yet all these animals succeed by being themselves not conformg to some stereotype. Their diversity adds color to d animal kingdom. But typical society defines success as just fame and money and ppl are falling over themselves tryg to conform to an artificial criteria.
Thts y society and d world is such a mess.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by toshodei: 12:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
asalimpo: @op
i admire ur passion for d craft.
Packg 9 languages under ur belt not a toy feat.
But to do programming,whether for fun or for profit, resources must b spent. Time,rent(accomodation),food(u eat while "hobbisizing" *excuse d grammer smiley. No time to wait for dictionaries to catch up * , machines (depreciating with use),internet etc. The way u program when u ar d one paying ur way will change drastically than if ur just hobbisizing.

@toshodei
yeah , ppl point to popular icons like bill gates,seun,larry ellison,steve jobs etc.
And define success in terms of money,fame and recognition.
This is wrong on many levels.
For one, seun has ppl helpg him realize his vision. So does bill gates and zuckerberg. The unknown programmers wrkg at facebook ,google,microsoft ar not inferior or lesser achievers. They may die unknown and poor/not rich but they are as important as the founder of d company.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think success is what you make it. People are different. To some people who have come from poverty and ghetto backgrounds (like me) success is money, recognition and fame. To some people (especially orphans or bastards) success is having a lovely spouse with beautiful kids and having a great family. For some people success is being an expert in multi-programming languages, not prototyping, creating or producing an idea/product or technology that has changed the world but having enough audacity to berate someone who has produced something that has changed the world. Success is all on different levels. I dont know about you but from where Im from Cash Rules Everything Around Me. Money makes the world go round. As far as the unknown programmers working at Fbook/Google/Microsoft, why wont they leave and make a name for themselves? What makes you think they havent tried? What makes you think that I think that they are lesser achieviers? I have nothing against them. I have respect for them but they are there for a reason. Is it because of the money? Is it because they can brag/tell their friends that they work at a company that many people can never get in? Or is it because they want to remain humble and unknown? Lets be honest, are they really important and influential as Billy Gates or M. Zuckerberg? If so, y dont we know their names? If one was to come to the Github's conference in Nigeria would u recognize them? How many of them have produced an app that gives Africa free internet?
Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by toshodei: 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
asalimpo: @op

success to me is discovering,developing and expressing your inborn potentials. That's all . Fame and money is secondary*
i like thnkg ppl are like animals in type though we're physcally similar. A lion is slow in movement but very strong.
A cheetah is sleek and fast but not strong as a lion.
A dove is neat,gentle ,beautiful .
A tortoise is irritatingly slow,ugly
A dog is gregarious and playful and loyal
A cat is a loner very alert
A parrot is talkative
etc
Yet all these animals succeed by being themselves not conformg to some stereotype. Their diversity adds color to d animal kingdom. But typical society defines success as just fame and money and ppl are falling over themselves tryg to conform to an artificial criteria.
Thts y society and d world is such a mess.

Like @asalimpo on the real. I dont really know you but I Bleep with you. You are a thorough person. Real down to earth. We dont always see eye to eye but u are real. I like the metaphors/similes you just put down. Pretty nice. Also please understand that I have nothing against you, I understand where you are coming from and I get what you are trying to say. Diversity/Variety is the spice of life.
Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by asalimpo(m): 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
toshodei:

I understand where you are coming from, but I think success is what you make it. People are different. To some people who have come from poverty and ghetto backgrounds (like me) success is money, recognition and fame. To some people (especially orphans or bastards) success is having a lovely spouse with beautiful kids and having a great family. For some people success is being an expert in multi-programming languages, not prototyping, creating or producing an idea/product or technology that has changed the world but having enough audacity to berate someone who has produced something that has changed the world. Success is all on different levels. I dont know about you but from where Im from Cash Rules Everything Around Me. Money makes the world go round. As far as the unknown programmers working at Fbook/Google/Microsoft, why wont they leave and make a name for themselves? What makes you think they havent tried? What makes you think that I think that they are lesser achieviers? I have nothing against them. I have respect for them but they are there for a reason. Is it because of the money? Is it because they can brag/tell their friends that they work at a company that many people can never get in? Or is it because they want to remain humble and unknown? Lets be honest, are they really important and influential as Billy Gates or M. Zuckerberg? If so, y dont we know their names? If one was to come to the Github's conference in Nigeria would u recognize them? How many of them have produced an app that gives Africa free internet?

this is actually a philosophical discourse.
Many ppls destinies ar connected to others. And the way to fulfill it is by first passing thru a period of time under others. This bcomes apparent only in d future.
If they forgoe the time of training /submission under others they may not reach their heights.
The media doesnt give this background info.
So wrkg under som1 as a faceless nobody may just b your smooth ride in an elevator to higher grounds. Problem is some ppl exit the lift too early.
When it's time to move on you'll know.
Sometimes , sombody will enter your life that serves as d door way to d next level. This person will see wat u/the lone wrker doesnt see and will complement you.
This person may also hav been in d unknown wrkers life for a long time as a friend. Also wen it's time to move on,one may find tht som relationships hav to die or b cut loose.
Ppl can b like rocket boosters or wet blankets ,but destinies hinge on them. There is nothing d poster boy does to connect to his destiny boosters because he can't see d future.

E.g Bill gates was encouraged by his friend Paul Allen to dropout of Harvard.
Bill gates heeded tht advce and it made all the difference.
Paul allen was also instrumental to writg d first commercial program of their young company-a Basic language interpreter.
If bill gates hadnt met Allen - dyu know d implications?
It runs into incalulable sums.
But today,Allen is unheard of,it's all bill gates.
The turng point,is when Gates agreed to dropout not when he strted microsoft.

2.) Larry meets Sergey:
They write pageRank.
When they were writg pageRank,
they ddnt see d future-
if they ddnt meet theyd b no google,no android,no youtube(as we know it)

3) steve jobs wrks at Atari:
Was Job thinkg of fame? No.
He was just a barefoot wrker who rarely had a bath.
If he didnt wrk as a faceless nobody first,He wudnt hav notced things he hated about how computers were designed then.
He used this experience to make Apple what it was.
Jobs break was given by Atari.

4) whatsap founders work at yahoo

two guys meet at yahoo and become friends.
While wrking at yahoo their friendship develops.
One person ddnt just wakeup one day and create an app tht wud make him a billionaire.

5) Google programmer creates gmail/coins google phrase
this programmer has eventually moved on to higher things. But fact is, google was his ticket.
He got distinguished while still an employee with google .
Without him being an employee they'd b no gmail.

6) Father persuades son to stay in school and not follow d facebook gang.
Outcome, son never bcame a billionaire when he shud.

7) zuckerberg creates an app.
Meets a streetwise programmer
who shows how the game is played on the streets.
Tells him to change d name to "facebook", to retain ownership , etc this guy he met had been burnt bf in d strtup game, his experience and mentorg contributed to d success of facebook.

8.) some executives resign their jobs at a computer company to found Compaq.

Years l8r the company is bought
for a fat sum.
They wudnt hav known what to do if they werent first employees.

9) Student from graduate school resumes wrk @ microsoft.
Fast frwrd 21yrs l8r and He's now the ceo.
He's reached d apex of his career.
The route to his achievemnt was thru stayg put in one place for decades wrkg under sombody.
If he'd bn an entprnr he'd not b so succssful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by asalimpo(m): 1:56pm On Sep 01, 2014
toshodei:

Like @asalimpo on the real. I dont really know you but I Bleep with you. You are a thorough person. Real down to earth. We dont always see eye to eye but u are real. I like the metaphors/similes you just put down. Pretty nice. Also please understand that I have nothing against you, I understand where you are coming from and I get what you are trying to say. Diversity/Variety is the spice of life.

thnks. We're here to share and learn. If i wrote somthg tht made sense to u or any1 ,i thnk God.
If i ddnt i thnk God too.
The main thing is to express ourselves.

It is actually the clashes of opinion,within sane boundaries,tht brings out d flavour of life.
E.g if steve jobs wasnt seeing somthing wrong where others were seeing somthg right theyd b no macs,ipods,ipads ,unibody design etc
ditto google.
Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by asalimpo(m): 1:56pm On Sep 01, 2014
toshodei:

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by Laryokeke: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
By this post, I had no intention of insulting Mr Seun. He is a success in many respects and I respect how he has been steadfast for years on one thing. He deserves all the accolades he is getting.

But from a programmer's perspective, who doesn't see that this site needs the touch of real developers? Who doesn't see that this is a multi billion naira site that would be rubbing shoulders with Facebook if only more features could be added on a regular basis? Why are these features missing? could it be lack of expertise? could it be that while hurrying to sell ads someone forgot to take out time to grab a little java?

What is the consequence? This site is making money...but is the money really enough to hire the right people? Does the site have a corporate office? Can the site as it is, convince a foreign investor to drop money on it?

That's where programming comes in.

Mark Zuckerbarg built tons of free applications before Facebook- just for fun. Paul allen and bill gates did same. Linus trovalds nko?

what does this tell us? for u to become a pro capable of making the billions, it takes years of practice.

Hence, those who are running to make money will always hit a few million naira and remain there.

But the first African tech billionaires will come from people who have consummated their passion to create wonderful things in programming. ( and there are so many wonderful things we can create)

Those are the people am dying to befriend.

As Bill Gates once said "pursue money and you will never get it. But pursue your passion and money has a way of accompanying it".

3 Likes

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by nollyj: 5:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
Money is important to think about. If you did not think about it today you will definitely think about it tomorrow.

Some people choose to think small, they get something done and then they scale it from the experience they got.

Some might think big and become successful why many will fail why thinking big.

At the end of the day, people should have the right to choose what they plan to be. There are people who have helped many starts-up to grow and become successful but they do not want to start anything by themselves. They are happy and have accomplished things in their life.

Just like @asalimpo said, measurement of success can vary. It is not always about much you made at the end of the day.

Definitely, Africa will soon produce some tech billionaires but it will not be for everybody.

I prefer to solve simple problems around us in Africa to have a good life and successful business that impacts on people than trying to build the next African tech giant. This is my personal opinion.

We should bear in mind that scaling tech business requires solid cash. If you have nothing to breed your business to the level that when VC's comes in you can hold some ground on equity sharing, major part of your hard earn labour will to the VC's.

1 Like

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by KazukiIto(m): 9:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
toshodei:

I feel you, but I think that it is all about the condition. I mean we are all trying to survive. We all trying to make it by any means necessary. Whether thru Music or Programming, we are all trying to get to the top. Mr. Seun might and then again he might not be a programmer or better yet he might just be a blogger but the truth remains that he is richer than many people who come on this site around the world. I mean, I know that he has more money than me. Not only that but he has a site that is ranked 8th in Nigeria and 912 globally. Like how many REAL DEVELOPERS/PROGRAMMERS (according to your definition) have achieved that compared to the amount of REAL DEVELOPERS/PROGRAMMERS (according to your definition) that put the time in? Go to Silicon Valley. Experts who are probably better than the best developers/programmers on Nairaland fail consistently. You say you can program in 9 languages? That is nice. Some can do more, and they'll never make a name for themselves. They will never be known to the world. I congratulate you on having 9 programming languages, that is an honor. What are some of your ideas/projects that you will like people to work on with you? Have u developed any apps/software? Nairaland can be improved but whether he is a programmer or not, he will go down in history as someone that created a forum that many Nigerians all across the world used to communicate/interact with each other.

guy u talk smoother than de way Denzel Washington walks. A politician at heart! Nice reply, I respect that!!!

1 Like

Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by KazukiIto(m): 9:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
@LarryOkeke definitely expect a call from me. By the way, is C++ among your armament?

@Larry, I had de same view as you rite nw and I always thought being a Hardcore, crazy mad programmer was certainly a badge of honor. Bleep Money!! Hu nids money wen U have dat power over the machine? Hell! It seem like a gud idea nw that we r young and energetic, but hw bout wen we r old and fragile? Hw bout wen posterity calls for judgement? Wat did we achieve with all dose efforts? U see, doin wat u love and getting paid is de single most awesome fucking thing dat can happen to anyone. Don't rebuke makin moni, and brag about having 9 languages under ur belt (bt seriously, I feel u oh!). Wat ideas have u developed (with those poisons) that can make a mark on dz darn world? Ehn wat? So it's useless. Seun is rich, sure he can do beta but he has added something to dz part of de world and dat's respect in its own right and damn dat nigga' RICH!!

PS: expect ma call by the way!!
Re: I Need Real Programmer Friends by spoilerx: 3:55pm On Sep 02, 2014
I am a learner, i know a little python. Would love to rub minds with pros.

(1) (Reply)

Multi Vendor Marketplace Extension - Magebay.com / Is My Nairaland Account Hacked? / Tutorials: Learn How To Hack A Gmail Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.