Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats (10538 Views)

Are Dogs Better Companions Than Cats? / Cats Of Nairaland! / Why Do Nigerians Hate Pet Especially Dogs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Philtrik(m): 5:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
I have grown up to discover that in the Nigerian society people hate cats due to some superstitious believe.
They believe that cats are demonic creatures and any where they see a cat they will be afraid.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Idrismusty97(m): 5:19pm On Sep 01, 2014
Only in southern Nigeria, The Yoruba and Igbo culture especially. In the North(& part of middle belts) we love cats even more than dogs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Philtrik(m): 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Philtrik(m): 5:46pm On Sep 01, 2014
Idrismusty97: Only in southern Nigeria, The Yoruba and Igbo culture especially. In the North(& part of middle belts) we love cats even more than dogs.
Yes yes u are right. In the north they love cats even i have seen northerners who rear cats.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by henry007(m): 8:14pm On Sep 01, 2014
Idrismusty97: Only in southern Nigeria, The Yoruba and Igbo culture especially. In the North(& part of middle belts) we love cats even more than dogs.
igbo people don't hate cats.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Idrismusty97(m): 8:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
henry007: igbo people don't hate cats.
I have Igbo relations from Asaba. When asked why they dislike cats their most common response is that cat are most likely used by witches and wizards. Those are the elderly anyway, maybe this generations of Igbos are putting superstitious believes aside.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by hannesy(f): 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
My grandma dnt hate dem,she eats dem... Bt I hate dem cus d re scary

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by henry007(m): 8:45pm On Sep 01, 2014
Idrismusty97: I have Igbo relations from Asaba. When asked why they dislike cats their most common response is that cat and most likely used by witches and wizards. Those are the elderly anyway, maybe this generations of Igbos are putting superstitious believes aside.
most village pple keep cats to ward off pests from their farm. hence the old people even found cats to be useful and not just as pets.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by henry007(m): 8:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
---
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Idrismusty97(m): 10:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
hannesy: My grandma dnt hate dem,she eats dem... Bt I hate dem cus d re scary
Ewww...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 09, 2014
nollywood caused it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Kirinwa: 5:19am On Sep 10, 2014
Cats are more likely to bite and scratch their owners than dogs.Ebola is real. Witches and wizards turn into cats.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by nickz(m): 9:02am On Sep 11, 2014
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by IYANGBALI: 9:03am On Oct 25, 2014
henry007:
igbo people don't hate cats.
they don't hate it but they eat it grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Pdizzle(m): 10:03am On Oct 25, 2014
Blame nollywood
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by lahit14(m): 10:55am On Oct 25, 2014
Kirinwa:
Cats are more likely to bite and scratch their owners than dogs.Ebola is real. Witches and wizards turn into cats.

Na lie, u'v neva ownd one obviously, cats love n adore their owners evn more than dogs. The only reason peopl prefer dogs to cats apart frm the nonsense supersticious tingy is size and voice. Most prefer somtin that can defend their homes and could terify intruders at sight. I love them both
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Fxwarrior: 6:58pm On Oct 26, 2014
hannesy:
My grandma dnt hate dem,she eats dem... Bt I hate dem cus d re scary

Yuck! Yuck!
Eats? Its like saying calabar people don't hate dogs they eat them. Very contradictory.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Susanifarms(m): 8:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
General mentality #SuperstitiousBeliefs
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by narhomie(f): 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2014
I love cats grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by otswag(m): 9:44am On Oct 31, 2014
Simple reason. Na nollywood cause am.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by FlintGuevara(m): 8:11am On Nov 05, 2014
Blame it on Nollywood and ignorant "prophets".
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 06, 2014
blame it on 'home vids'
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by fratermathy(m): 2:19pm On Nov 18, 2016
Nice question. Maybe Lalasticlala or Seun can answer it for us.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by petsarena: 5:09pm On Nov 18, 2016
Nigerians are not used to keeping cats and they are still attached to the superstitious belief that cats are 'witches'.Some believe that witches can use their cats to attack them if they keep one. Western world once believed in this myth earlier, though they outgrown it with civilization.Nigeria will reach that level too as we develop in our evolution. Cats are really cute pets to keep any away.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 18, 2016
Cats!

Africa is infected with witchcraft while western world is infected with immorality. This is a fact you can't but agree.

Cats are good creatures but there has been high cases of them easily possessed by witchcraft. This is a fact in Nigeria you can't run from.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by lahit14(m): 4:35am On Nov 19, 2016
There r more witches in the south, east and west and their popular familiars are cats. Whether u believe it or not cats are familiars everywhere in the world, this is not superstition especially black cats.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by odogwu2007(m): 11:55pm On Nov 20, 2016
Idrismusty97:
I have Igbo relations from Asaba. When asked why they dislike cats their most common response is that cat are most likely used by witches and wizards. Those are the elderly anyway, maybe this generations of Igbos are putting superstitious believes aside.
no u are wrong, the elderly ones love cats, the problem is the new generation we don't like cat talk more of loving them. Our grand mas had cats in order to keep rats away from the house
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by LordAdam: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2016
Blame religion.

Southern Nigeria with Christianity just reiterate the common belief in the Middle Ages in Europe when cats were believed to be Witches' familiars. By some estimates, hundreds of thousands were killed during the great Witches persecutions across Europe. Many regions sought to wipe cats off completely.

Northern Nigeria on the other hand with Islam respect cats because Mohammed had a pet cat. In fact, according to legend, one time the Prophet wanted to go for prayers and his cat was napping on the sleeve of his robe. Rather than disturb the cat, the Prophet instead cut off the sleeve of his robe and left the cat to have a nice sleep.

-Lord
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Blue3k(m): 8:22pm On Nov 22, 2016
I didn't know they did. My grand mother liked her cats and had many over the years. They had their utility aswell. Maybe it's due to superstition. I know dogs are preferred animal though.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Nixiepie(f): 10:04pm On Nov 23, 2016
No I hate cats buh unfortunately my mum rears them
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats by Nobody: 11:23am On Dec 02, 2016
Meet other cat enthusiast.
Join the whatsapp group.
PM me to be added. 08165866252

(1) (Reply)

Available Dogs For Sale / I Just Got My First Cat / Where Can I Get Crushed Noodles Waste For Pets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.