Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

*Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital (31068 Views)

Couple Abandon Their Mentally Challenged Child In Hospital And Ran Away - Photo / Another Nigerian Being Treated For Ebola In Benin Republic / Man From Nigeria Tested For Ebola In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

*Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
A female patient on admission in the same hospital as the late Port Harcourt doctor who treated a colleague of Patrick Sawyer has tested positive for Ebola virus disease, bringing total confirmed cases to 16.

Health minister Onyebuchi Chukwu told an emergency meeting of the national council on health in Abuja that the patient—the third confirmed case in Port Harcourt—was “presently under treatment” in an isolation ward in Rivers state.

The doctor, Iyke Enemuo, died last week, days after treating an ECOWAS diplomat colleague of Sawyer who evaded surveillance in Lagos after he was taken ill.

His wife, also a doctor, showed symptoms last week and was put in quarantine.

Two other contacts of the late Port Harcourt—including a doctor who managed him and a pharmacy technician in his hospital—were admitted into isolation treatment after they showed symptoms.

Their test results are yet negative for Ebola but “laboratory tests will be repeated to reconfirm their status,” said Chukwu.

All are the first confirmed cases of Ebola outside Lagos, where the virus first hit.

Some 199 people have been put under surveillance in Port Harcourt since last week, and none has completed the 21 day observation period.

“It is expected that a few more contacts will develop the EVD especially in Rivers State before Nigeria will see the last case of EVD,” Chukwu told health commissioners on Monday.

“While it is encouraging that so far, all confirmed cases of EVD in Nigeria have their roots in the index case, Mr. Patrick Sawyer, great vigilance is required particularly at our ports of entry to ensure we do not have cases of EVD from other sources other than Mr. Sawyer.

Lagos, where the outbreak started, has seen the number of people on surveillance drop to 72.

A total 278 contacts in Lagos have been taken off surveillance after completing a required 21 days—the period equivalent to the incubation of Ebola.

Enugu, the first city which came under threat after a nurse evaded surveillance in Lagos to be with family in Enugu, has seen no case of Ebola.

Six identified contacts there completed 21 days under observation and were let off.

In latest report presented to the council, the health ministry said total 13 people have been treated at isolation wards in Lagos. Seven have been discharged and two more on treatment in Lagos are said to be stable.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/33218-patient-gets-ebola-in-hospital

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by naijarates(m): 10:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
cry cry cry cry
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 01, 2014
Bye bye hospital

5 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Firefire(m): 10:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
barcanista: Bye bye hospital

Welcome Trado-medical doctor grin

i.e Native doctors time don reach to chop.

11 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by tunwumi: 10:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
We have educated illiterate in ph who claimed ebola is political here. He even came up with conspiracy theory that the Governor import the virus because of Jonathan rally.

Well this gives an easy avenue for the virus to spread in ph.

God help the helpless in this time of trouble as promised in your world.

30 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
Firefire:

Welcome Trado-medical doctor grin

i.e Native doctors time don reach to chop.
Most preferably self medication grin

1 Like

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Firefire(m): 11:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
barcanista:
Most preferably self medication grin

This may eventually lead to drug abuse. sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by joe17: 11:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
It shall come to an end IJN

44 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:09pm On Sep 01, 2014
Firefire:

This may eventually lead to drug abuse. sad
its better than ebola grin

4 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 01, 2014
tunwumi: We have educated illiterate in ph who claimed ebola is political here. He even came up with conspiracy theory that the Governor import the virus because of Jonathan rally.

Well this gives an easy avenue for the virus to spread in ph.

God help the helpless in this time of trouble as promised in your world.
God grant mÝ ppl wisdom

4 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
joe17: It shall come to an end IJN
I say a big AMEN to that o!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Firefire(m): 11:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
barcanista: its better than ebola grin

I agree absolutely.

Major side effect of drug abuse would be a first case of kidney failure and eventual kidney transplant - God forbid.

The mortality rate of drug abuse is below 50% over a long period, if well managed. So, a preferred option than contacting the demon called ebola.
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 01, 2014
Firefire:

I agree absolutely.

Major side effect of drug abuse would be a first case of kidney failure and eventual kidney transplant - God forbid.

The mortality rate of drug abuse is below 50% over a long period, if well managed. So, a preferred option than contacting the demon called ebola.
sad kidney
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Firefire(m): 11:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
barcanista: sad kidney

Never worry... it is not a fatality yet, better than ebola grin

The Effects of Drug Abuse on the Kidneys While the use of drugs can have a serious impact on any part of the body, many users may not be aware of the severe damage that can occur to the kidneys. As drugs are absorbed by the body, they are cleaned by the kidneys.

As these vital organs filter waste from the body, they are exposed to ill effects from drugs. Many severe complications can develop from continued exposure to drugs and alcohol and the effects of drug abuse can be life threatening.

It is important to remember that the kidneys do more than just excrete waste, they also produce hormones that affect the function of other organs -
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Andyblaze: 11:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
angry

2 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by TeamclicksAir: 11:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
hmmmmmmm
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by akom0908(m): 11:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
God will protect his children from this deadly disease

5 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by EbiJUNIRO(m): 11:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
choi! This sickness "ebola" is mystirious n demonic...
Check out d border lines it crossed from Lagos straight down to PH..

1 Like

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Babyboy1986(m): 11:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
OMG.
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by adamskutty(m): 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2014
Sh1t man
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2014
.I think I find the 'Political conspiracy theory' of Ebola very hilarious.

2 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by merieam16(f): 11:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
Ehya poor girl...may God put a end 2 dis in jesus name

1 Like

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by elbinmanny(m): 11:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
Firefire:

Never worry... it is not a fatality yet, better than ebola grin
pls i love laffong when its past 11 pm.make my wife no feel say i dey chat wit the girl she dey suspect me on watsapp lipsrsealed cheesy

5 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by mcocolok(m): 11:26pm On Sep 01, 2014
GOD HAVE MERCY ON THIS GENERATION...
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by EddyNumerouno(m): 11:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hope it stays and its solved there sad
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by koboko69: 11:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hold Jonathan responsible for further spread of Ebola in PH. He allowed a senseless rally just cos of his desperation for a 2nd term, while schools are shut, church crusades banned, large gatherings also banned.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Firefire(m): 11:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
elbinmanny: pls i love laffong when its past 11 pm.make my wife no feel say i dey chat wit the girl she dey suspect me on watsapp lipsrsealed cheesy

Your wife need you... go and sleep. grin

2 Likes

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by themmydhayhor(m): 11:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
Fear dis Ebola pass dat boko haram leader self

1 Like

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Jhosh(m): 11:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
Haba ..God .....

As 1 person dey heal(gbadun)..Another dey catch am...

Lord nan...Boko haram sef z enuf ..Y ebola aqain
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
hmmm, Ebola u never tire?. LAST BULLET: All This Shall Be History One Day. takpame.

1 Like

Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by Lucario007(m): 11:30pm On Sep 01, 2014
woe.
Re: *Breaking News* Patient Gets Ebola In Hospital by icycoolmik: 11:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Not good, definitely not good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19: GTBank setting up 100-Bed Intensive Care Center / NGO To Empower 154 Commercial Sex Workers In Gombe State (photo) / JOHESU Strike Claims Nigeria’s Only Neuropathologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.