Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,288 members, 7,867,761 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:54 PM

Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' (963 Views)

De­fence Minister In Russia To Buy Arms / Saraki, Dogara’s Emergence May Alter Buhari’s Cabinet List / Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by peteregwu(m): 12:39pm On Sep 02, 2014
Russia 'to alter military strategy towards Nato'
48 minutes ago

Tensions between Russia and Nato countries are high over the ongoing conflict in Ukraine
Russia is to alter its military strategy as a result of the Ukraine crisis and Nato's presence in eastern Europe, a top Russian official says.

Mikhail Popov, a Kremlin adviser, said that deteriorating relations with the US and Nato would be reflected in the updated strategy.

Nato said on Monday it would boost its presence in eastern Europe to protect its members.

Ukrainian troops are battling pro-Russian rebels in east Ukraine.

About 2,600 people have died since fighting began in April.

Ukraine's defence minister on Monday accused Russia of launching a "great war" that could claim tens of thousands of lives - claims dismissed by Russia, which denies actively supporting the rebels.

'Aggravating tensions'

Mr Popov, deputy secretary of Russia's National Security Council, told Russia's RIA news agency that "the military infrastructure of Nato member states" was "getting closer to [Russian] borders, including via enlargement".

Nato's actions were one of the key "external threats" to Russia, he said.

"Nato's planned action... is evidence of the desire of US and Nato leaders to continue their policy of aggravating tensions with Russia", Mr Popov said.

There were no details on how the doctrine might change.

Analysis - Jonathan Marcus, diplomatic correspondent

Russia has indicated it will respond to Nato's increasing presence in eastern Europe
Almost on the eve of Nato's summit gathering in Wales, the Russian government has signalled that it will respond to Nato's plans to make preparations to deploy crisis response forces to Eastern Europe, closer to Russia's borders.

Nato insists that while there will be pre-positioned supplies and more exercises in Poland for example, these will not be permanent new bases. But that is not going to cut much ice in Moscow.

The comments by the top Kremlin security adviser Mikhail Popov has signalled that these new Nato deployments, along with missile defence plans and the Ukraine crisis, will play into a review of Russia's own defence planning.

Moscow is getting its retaliation in first with the stage set for worsening tensions between Russia and the Nato alliance.

There are growing questions now as to just how far the Kremlin is prepared to go in seeking to influence the Ukraine fighting on the ground.

Nato announced its plans on Monday for a rapid response force of several thousand troops to protect eastern European members against possible Russian aggression.

The force, to be made up of troops provided by member states on a rotating basis, would be able to be deployed within 48 hours, Nato secretary general Anders Fogh Rasmussen said.

Media caption
Nato Secretary-General Rasmussen: "We must face the reality that Russia does not consider Nato a partner"
Military equipment and supplies would be pre-positioned in member states in the east so the force could "travel light, but strike hard if needed", he added.

Mr Rasmussen insisted that the plans would not breach the 1997 Nato-Russia Founding Act, which forbids the presence of permanent bases in eastern and central Europe.

The new measures are set to be approved at a Nato summit in Wales this week.

'Runway destroyed'

The Nato security alliance covers 28 member states, including Eastern European countries such as Poland and the Czech Republic. It does not include Ukraine.

Media caption
Emily Thomas reports on the Ukrainian accusations that Russia is launching a full-scale military intervention in the east of their country
Ukraine's Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk has said that he aims to put the country on the path towards Nato membership.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Tuesday said such efforts were "undermining" attempts to reach a peace deal with the rebels.

Crisis talks between Ukraine officials, rebels and Russian envoys ended without agreement on Monday.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29026623
Re: Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by iterator25: 1:11pm On Sep 02, 2014
let the nuke play begin!
Re: Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 02, 2014
Honestly, I can't wait to witness the fall of America & Nato.

Invasion of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria[Attempted] & now Ukraine all based on Lies & selfish interest.

Meanwhile, Libyan Rebels Have Taken Over US Embassy in Tripoli and Swimming.

Is it not written He that diggeth a pit shall fall therein and he that rolleth a stone, it will return upon him.

I would really love Putin to be generous & audacious in dishing out these sexy nuclear candies - Yes - Very Very Sexy!

1 Like

Re: Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by iterator25: 1:45pm On Sep 02, 2014
Zoharariel: Honestly, I can't wait to witness the fall of America & Nato.

Invasion of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria[Attempted] & now Ukraine all based on Lies & selfish interest.

Is it not written He that diggeth a pit shall fall therein and he that rolleth a stone, it will return upon him.

I would really love Putin to be generous & audacious in dishing out these sexy nuclear candies - Yes - Very Very Sexy!
those candies are truly lovely

2 Likes

Re: Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by Oklander: 2:42pm On Sep 02, 2014
Its cooking!
Re: Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by oKyrian: 7:26pm On Sep 02, 2014
Zoharariel: Honestly, I can't wait to witness the fall of America & Nato.

puttin should advice himself because what Adulph Hitler couldn't do I don't think he can be able 2 do that as well
Re: Russia 'to Alter Military Strategy Towards Nato' by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 02, 2014
oKyrian: puttin should advice himself because what Adulph Hitler couldn't do I don't think he can be able 2 do that as well

What has Putin got to do with Hitler? So if a nation that has penchant for invading other nations mainly on false accusations just to steal their resources & cause unnecessary chaos is doing [everything - including blowing off Malaysia Flight MH17 just to pin it on Russia] to building a Military Base at your backyard, wouldn't you put up resistance & defend yourself even if it means deploying sexy nuclear candies?

Maybe you should just try to answer these questions below if u still don't get my point.

Which Country forcibly removed the indigenous inhabitants of Diego Garcia & turned it into a Naval Base? [Search for Diego Garcia on Youtube & watch]

Which Country hijacked the missing Malaysian flight MH370 & is keeping in at Diego Garcia? [Yes just google Diego Garcia]

Which country supported Apartheid in South Africa, and declared Mandela a terrorist?

Which country trained ISIS & funding Boko Haram?

Which country infected Nigerians with Ebola? [Forget all the ruse Liberian Officials are saying].

Who trained the Al-Mujihadeen group with terrorist tactics?

Ask yourself; Y is the Malaysia Flight MH17 that got shot down off the news lately?

My friend - The bottom line is; Russia isn't my enemy just as America isn't my friend.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Tools Politician Contesting 2015 General Election Must Use In Their Ecampaign / Denial Of Eksu Team To Represent Nigeria At The Enactus World Competition / Facts About Botched South African Arms Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.