Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,925 members, 7,821,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military (2085 Views)

A Star Has Fallen. Nigerian Army Looses An Officer In Fight Against Boko Haram / Nigerian Military Issues Third “final” Warning To Boko Haram / Boko Haram Leader Shekau Dismisses Nigerian Military Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Muyiwhy: 7:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
Naij.com reader Chris [not his real name] is an officer with the Nigerian military. In his message to info@ naij.com, he details the level of corruption in the Nigerian military, warning that such negligence will surely backfire and have negative consequenses of state of security in our country.
Chris is a Corporal in the Nigerian Air Force, currently serving in Yola, Adamawa State. In his letter below he describes the reality he has to face every day and the losing fight the soldiers have to fight with the corruption in the Nigerian military.
“I write to seek help in exposing our corrupt senior officers. The corruption in the Nigerian military environs is higher than in the political sector. We lack relevant agencies to check the growing trend. The negligence and the nonchalant attitude regarding the welfare of lower ranks will soon spell doom on the security of the Nigerian state.
“In my unit, soldiers live without accommodation. In the little space available, they are being paired up two (2) and three (3) in a room.
“Still, millions are being spent on the gigantic edifice of the Airlodge located near Ribadu Square, Jimeta Yola, which is meant for senior officers. Millions are allocated to the ongoing project of the Air Chief Marshal A. S. Badeh’s golf club (along Jambutu Numan Road, Yola).
“I know that soldiers serving in 37 BSG and 75 STG, Yola (war zones), are not being paid their operational allowances. It is crystal clear to us that the funds are coming from the DHQ Abuja. But the money is diverted to the private pocket of few ‘chosen’ ones. Our colleagues in the Nigerian Army have to endure a similar fate.
“Now, let’s talk about operational efficiency. Nigerian military is too ill-equipped to combat the ravaging insurgency in the North. Forget about what the Defense spokesman is saying from Abuja. Here, it’s visible to the blind and audible to the deaf. In my unit here in Yola, despite the global technological progress, we are still using the Fabrique Nationale rifles that were used in the Biafran War! Meanwhile, the insurgents are carrying advanced weapons. They have light machine guns, new AK-47 rifles, general-purpose machine guns, to mention a few.
“It’s sad to know that, because of the same corruption in the Nigerian military, we don’t have rocket-propelled grenade launchers. All the armoured personnel carriers we use to defend our bases are outdated. Of the two outdated Mi-35M helicopters, one has crashed, and the other one was fired at by the insurgents and grounded in Maiduguri.
“The operation of archaic fighter aircrafts such as Alpha jet and F-7 fighter jet is a waste of taxpayers’ money, ranging from fueling, to armouring it with heavy missiles that are being detonated in an unknown location (best known to the pilots.) I guess it’s a deliberate action by the pilots, or a directive from upper authority.
“Those who are interested in keeping corruption in the Nigerian military regularly embezzle funds at the detriment of ground troops and the Nigeria security state in general.
“Like I’ve said, the unchecked corruption in the Nigerian military and negligence of our leaders towards the well-being of personnel troops will soon have negative consequences on the state of security in Nigeria.”
Source...naij.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 03, 2014
sigh!! gone are the good old military sad
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Ibnsultan01: 7:49pm On Sep 03, 2014
Godbless the whistle blower. The military is deliberately allowing the insurgents gain ground thanks to systematic corruption. Imagine a soldier denied his #3000 daily allawee that's not even enough

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by jaytee01(m): 8:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
It's very shocking that this can actually be written about the Nigerian Army , a force that used to command respect for it's manifest discipline and integrity. Nowadays, it's difficult to know between the army and the police, which institution is more corrupt. We are living in perilous times indeed!
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by floma07(m): 8:25pm On Sep 03, 2014
This is a serious problem... I hope these guys won't rebel....
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Brahms(m): 8:36pm On Sep 03, 2014
Funny how people take these Naij.com Guys seriously. Naij.com is a gossip blog!!

This is a fictional story of the "REAL" happenings in Nigeria Army!
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by leo1234(m): 8:39pm On Sep 03, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Nigeria = corruption
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by omololu2020(m): 8:41pm On Sep 03, 2014
Shame on d nigerian air force and army,,dey r both a disgrace to nigeria,,,Nigeria Navy beta pass both of dem,,nah Air force worst pass sha,,i can bet my moni on it,,most of our pilot office,flying officer,flight lieutenant dont fly any jet,dey jst sit in d barracks not doin anytin cox we dont hav enof jet n helicopters.....
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by PresidentAde(m): 8:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
I'm just tired of the problems in this Country !!!

*** Sometimes i feel like sleeping and waking in a better Nation ***
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by atlwireles: 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
THE greatest threat facing the nation’s war against the Boko Haram and other Islamist insurgents has to do with the unprecedented acts of sabotage that the national assignment is facing. Never at any other time in the history of Nigeria had the army been so bedeviled by internal and external undermining of efforts to rid the country of terrorists and other enemies of her unity and progress.
The sabotage comes in so many forms. It is both within and outside the confines of the armed forces. According to media reports, some military officers with sympathy for the cause of the insurgents sometimes reportedly divulge critical information about the plans of the military to undertake campaigns or even funnel military equipment to their partisans in the enemy camp. This, we learnt, has led to the unceremonious cancellation of such campaigns to avoid putting officers and men in danger of running into ambushes.
One of the greatest forms of the sabotage is misinformation. Many sympathisers of Boko Haram are very eager to approach, mainly, the foreign media to say uncomplimentary things about our armed forces . They create an impression of Boko Haram as an invincible force and Sambisa, their chosen camp, as an impregnable fortress. It is this misinformation and the subsequent avoidable losses in men and military material that give rise to the tales of real or imagined “mutinies” and protests among our men under arms.
The military high command, as well as their supervisory political authorities, must take firm steps to discourage acts of sabotage against our men and women confronting the terrorists. We are fully in support of the assurance by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Kenneth Minimah, that the army will henceforth go tough on saboteurs and visit them with the strictest dictates of the law when nabbed and convicted of the crime.
We are also gratified to note that army is on the verge of taking delivery of sophisticated equipment. It will surely boost morale among the troops and spur them to greater effort to flush the terrorists out of Nigeria.
We call on the mass media to redouble their efforts and throw their full support for the armed forces. More efforts should be made to de-emphasise the dissemination of sensational and unsubstantiated information because we may be unwittingly playing into the hands of the terrorists. It is important for media houses to take a closer hold of their online editions and minimise their use by the terrorists and their supporters to achieve their evil purposes.
The war on terror is not for the army, security agencies or the federal government alone. It is a collective effort. We must report suspected saboteurs to the appropriate authorities and keep our communities safe.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/going-tough-saboteurs/#sthash.2n15VuzI.dpuf

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by amAZEing: 8:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
Brahms: Funny how people take these Naij.com Guys seriously. Naij.com is a gossip blog!!

You don't need your so called gossip blogs to see the reality of things on ground. My Advice.

"Begin to learn how to handle a gun and Arm Urself Today. lt will come in handy tomorrow."
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Brahms(m): 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2014
amAZEing:

You dont need your so called gossip blogs to see th reality of things on ground. My Advice.

"Begin to learn how to handle a gun and Arm Urself Today. lt will come in handy tomorrow."

You're not making sense. Utter fvcktard!
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
Brahms:

You're not making sense. Utter fvcktard!
diickhead,whaddahell do u piecashiit know'bout making sense when u 4kn do ur cowtthinking with ur damm balls,huh?
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 03, 2014
Brahms: Funny how people take these Naij.com Guys seriously. Naij.com is a gossip blog!!

now luk here,piimp,if u sucha hollowcowbrainer that u got nothing reasonable to say then do ur miserable self a huge favor by stickin or drillin something long n barb up that busy whistlin arsse so it quits tryin'ta beat bb king to da sax,jerk..
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
DivideUs: sigh!! gone are the good old military sad
Good old military? They've always been corrupt since independence my brother.
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by focus7: 2:39am On Sep 04, 2014
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by XketchDesigns(m): 7:31am On Sep 04, 2014
change that topic to Nigerian soldier not "officer"
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 04, 2014

if its a fictional story why not tell us the real happenings.
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by spenca: 9:19am On Sep 04, 2014
This is the stage at which corruption has grown in Nigeria, every hole every sector and my bollard hat will come ranting , what is he doing about this, this has been on for a while soldiers clam mourning for a change and showing the problem to you yet you go ahead to borrow money to feed this same fat maggots to the detriment of the fighting military personal , mrs okonjo iwela should please stop blowing all these figures in the news because till when Abu the solider in bornu gets his 3000 allowance fixed and increased it is meaningless and till aminu in tola gets a better accommodation and weapons it is fallible and till chioma in Aba can have a decent store and shouldn't be bothered about power outage and send her offspring to affordable and quality schools it is void ! God Bless Nigeria and the Truth megaphones
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by Unekz(m): 9:33am On Sep 04, 2014
floma07: This is a serious problem... I hope these guys won't rebel....
'they should rebel ooooooo,d better for all of us
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by floma07(m): 9:58am On Sep 04, 2014
Unekz: 'they should rebel ooooooo,d better for all of us
Yeah... I think you're correct
Re: An Open Letter From An Officer Of The Nigerian Military by zurine(f): 12:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
hmm

(1) (Reply)

Governor God'swill Akpabio To Rename New Stadium After Himself. / KADUNA 2015: APC Chairman, Bala Bantex, emerges El-Rufai’s running mate / H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.